Home
Anybody have one of these? The wife found one that she likes and I’ve got them down $5K-$6K at this point to where I feel we’re close enough. They’re offering market value for our trade, so I’m good with that as well. Just looking to see if anyone has one and can tell me the good, bad, and ugly on them.
It’s the same as a Ford Explorer just with fancier trim for $20k more. Same platform.
The latest Explorers seem to be holding up rather well.

About 50 of 'em running around our little town and I rarely see one broke down at the Ford garage.
I can't think of goddam dumber name than "Aviator" for a vehicle that operates on roads. Carry on.
My wife saw a market place ad for an 01 Navigator.
90k miles.

50 fugging thousand dollhairs 🤤sick!
Matthew McConaughey has one, for whatever thats worth.
My sister in law has one and loves it. It’s loaded and pretty swanky if you’re into that kind of stuff.
Last summer our local Ford dealer had one on their lot.

Pimped out 2020 jet black beauty with 12k miles, $78k.

I think it was a hybrid.

The older ones had bad problems with the air ride suspension, don't know about the newer ones.
Rear bumpers dragging hard.....lol
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Rear bumpers dragging hard.....lol

Yep
They are great until something breaks, then it take a NASA engineer to fix them. Just wait until they get some age on them.
FOR THE RECORD - I drive a stripped down truck. This is wife’s ride.
Lincoln is probably second to only Land Rover
might want to check with george floyds wife. she probably has a different one for every day of the week.
Originally Posted by rem141r
might want to check with george floyds wife.

Ha, good one.

He had kids strewn all over the place by different babymamas but I'm pretty sure there was never a wife. That won't stop any of them from lining up with their hands out though.
Lets see, Aviator for a land driven vehicle. Navigator, .....Next, Mastur....
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
FOR THE RECORD - I drive a stripped down truck. This is wife’s ride.

No idea of your price point... but I would seriously look at the used Land Cruisers and Lexus GS 470s.

Tanks and will hold future value way better than a Lincoln.

Regular gas... who cares about MPG anymore.

I am looking at them now myself... for my wife.

Not that I trust Aytumen Akyildiz as a used car seller, but at $14k... a fair value it seems...

2007 Lexus GX 470
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Lincoln is probably second to only Land Rover

I used to buy cars at the Adesa Auto Auction to drive and flip.

Bought a Land Rover Freelander once...

Went to change the oil and lots of chunks of metal came out in the oil pan...

Spider cracking failure of aluminum pistons...

WOW... just wow
Read up on the problems with the Ecoboost engine before purchase - especially the 1st Gen engines. Specifically the Aviators also have a long list of issues.

Do your research and have a Ford mechanic do a full inspection before purchase.
They have a poor reliability / repair record. Additionally, they have that stupid auto stop / start feature. Hard pass.

I'm sure there are better & more reliable choices after reading all the negative comments

Used car prices are stupid high right now
I believe Consumer Reports just rated then the worse vehicle currently being built.

OP never said what year ? $5-6K ??

My money would go towards Toyota/Lexus

Much better build quality & reliability even with an older used unit

For those that don't know the LX is the twin to the Toyota Land Cruiser...same Japan factory

https://www.auto.com/cars/lexus-lx_..._id=8646899e-d7ec-41a6-adfd-a0be7dd899f7

OP......here ya go

wife would be talk of the town

https://www.auto.com/cars/toyota-la..._id=00750ac8-c90a-43fb-be7e-bd68fce4641f
Last month I ordered one, dealer said 3 to 4 month delivery. ordered the Aviator Reserve Model.
I've been driving a 2017 Explorer for the past 5 years, 52K miles, never a single issue. Had the
4 cylinder Eco Boost engine, my new Aviator has the twin turbo 6 cyl, 400 HP, but sticker says the same MPG as my Explorer.
No discounts or promotions as of now, sticker price is selling price, if they do show up before delivery I get them.
I did have a friend who retired from Ford and gave me a Friends & Family coupon, took about 3K off the price, but still will be about $65,500 OTD
I.ve had some nice cars during my 77 years here on earth, and wanted one more, as I consider this to be the last car I'll ever buy for myself. 10 years ago I paid $52,000 for a new 2012 Ford Expedition, son just traded it in for a new vehicle, they gave him $14K for it, over 100K miles, but body and interior were in really nice shape.
I like cars, my current Summer car is a 2010 Jaguar XK Convert, a beautiful car to drive and look at, but like an expensive Mistress she requires lots of expensive maintenance, but makes up for it in her performance.
Money is no good when you're dead, may as well enjoy it while you can.
Same color:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Lexus for the win.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

OP never said what year ? $5-6K ??

My money would go towards Toyota/Lexus

Much better build quality & reliability even with an older used unit

For those that don't know the LX is the twin to the Toyota Land Cruiser...same Japan factory

https://www.auto.com/cars/lexus-lx_..._id=8646899e-d7ec-41a6-adfd-a0be7dd899f7

LC hold their value better. Both right now will be in high demand later because of the V8 not the new V6 Turbo.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I can't think of goddam dumber name than "Aviator" for a vehicle that operates on roads. Carry on.

Or RIDGELINE with gay ass 4ft bed and 4” of ground clearance.

kinda funny

The LX is considerably more $$ new compared to same year LC

But the LX is less to buy used ?

OK with me....have an '03 LX & '11 GX

But still have my eye out for a clean SW '96-97 LX
Trivia question:

Does the Navigator have more,

a) Pistons
b) Turbochargers
Explorer version of the navigator...
Bosd just bought a new explorer for his wife.. Good lookin' machine
The Navigator is the Expedition
The Aviator is the Explorer
When I ordered my Aviator they had one almost exactly what I wanted on the used car lot.
It was a 2020 with 12,000 miles on it, thought I could get one now instead of waiting, talked to my salesman and he said they wanted $1000 less than what my new one would cost. So I decided to wait.
I’ve pushed my wife away from it. I’d prefer to get her a Lexus , but I can tell you she won’t go from a 2016 Navigator to a 2005 anything. That would be fine for me, but she’s boojie enough that’s not going to happen. She makes her own money so I’m not going to tell her what she can’t have, either.

I’ve seen the same thing in the used/new price on the Aviators. What I don’t like about them, other than the twin turbo setup, is the electronic handles. From what I’m told if you’re in a wreck and power is cut the only door you can get out of is the driver’s. That won’t work for me.
Just looked up your concern on the door handles, much different for what you describe.

Used Car Maxx two years ago

bought a clean '11 GX 460 from Las Vegas w/95K miles

Look around there

https://www.carmax.com/
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Or RIDGELINE with gay ass 4ft bed and 4” of ground clearance.

ha, my yuppie brother and his son showed up for a weekend in one of those. me and my boys were out there talking to them and my brother said something about "his truck". my son started laughing and i almost did. didn't seem to go over well.
A friend of a friend just took delivery of one of those for his wife about 2 month's ago.
Non stop electrical issues with it from the get go.
It's built at CAP. Chicago Assembly Plant
I spent 4 months there in 2019 on a tooling change over when Ford nixed the Taurus.
I have never seen so many rats indoors in my life.
Yes rats. The size of half grown cats
It would be a hard pass for me tony anything that rolls out of that plant
Sometimes there are threads that just make me laugh.

This is one.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

kinda funny

The LX is considerably more $$ new compared to same year LC

But the LX is less to buy used ?

OK with me....have an '03 LX & '11 GX

But still have my eye out for a clean SW '96-97 LX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOY4txqRngM

Both are very nice.

I have two LC's. Couldn't think about getting rid of the older one.
Land Rovers suck.
© 24hourcampfire