Home
Posted By: wyomntpounder Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Posted By: captbutch Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
That was awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Osky Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Thank you. What a great looking animal, well trained and plenty smart.

Osky
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Great vid........................good mules are great, bad ones...............well, not so much. LOL.

I've ridden both kinds.

MM
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Neat video. Thanks.
Posted By: BigPine Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Dandy Mule , I’d be happy to ride that over a certain pass that always makes me pucker .
Posted By: pullit Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
very cool
Posted By: gunzo Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
If you're big time into that sort of thing & have the time & patience to train or the money to buy, ain't much grander than a good mountain mule.
Posted By: Deans Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
I enjoyed that video. Thank you for posting. I've seen horses loaded in a pickup with side boards and take them down the road to another property unload them work cattle load them again and head to the house. But I have never seen anyone ride a horse or mule in the back of a pickup.
Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Posted By: Gristle Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
That's a damn fine looking mule. My mule story from this years hunt is that I didn't have to go to the hospital like I did in 2020.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Hell of a first post. Your mule or someone else”s? Whoever has it will miss it when its gone.
Thanks, she's mine. I've got a little girl who isn't very happy about it
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Fantastic first post!
Posted By: 673 Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
That's a beautiful animal.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
35 years ago, a buddy invited some friends of his from Oklahoma out. They raised mules, and trailered out a bunch of them to ride. It was both his friends and the mules first time in the Rockies. A couple of us were on horses that spent the summer at 8K + in altitude, but the mules were coming from the flatlands. We rode about 15 miles the first day with around 2500 ft elevation gain. Those mules walked the mountain horses into the ground. We would stop after a steep climb to let the horses blow, meanwhile the mules would just casually start eating grass..........
Posted By: Cattledog Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
That's a fine mule, and beautiful country, you're livin' the dream.
Great post, thanks for sharing, welcome to the 'fire !
Posted By: skeen Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Cool vids and good lookin' animals.
Posted By: Robb10238 Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
How old is that Molly? Nothing like being raised in the big country to let a Mike of horse learn
She'll be nine this spring
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Enjoyed the videos.
Welcome!
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
We had some old boys who used to hunt coons at night from the backs of mules. They rode while the dogs run down the coons. When they got to a fence they would put a blanket over it and the mules would jump over it. Them guys are all gone now. They were a national treasure, they just didn't know it.

kwg
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Originally Posted by wyomntpounder
Thanks, she's mine. I've got a little girl who isn't very happy about it

Excellent training!

Exceptional animal.Don't see many like that.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Enjoyed the vid.great looking mule! My grandfather liked miles.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Nifty work with the livestock, gotta have a lot of time on your hands for that. Lets see if he has the time to make it back here to tell us about hunting in Wyoming.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
That one is special.
Posted By: Robb10238 Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
I hope to make it to Jake Clark’s mule days this year now that we are both retired. Should be just about the time Dustin Linebaugh finish’s my Vaquero so can kill two birds with one stone.
Posted By: oldno77 Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
link to sale?

I have a 5 year old granddaughter who absolutely loves mules.
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Wow nice mule!
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Good morning good golly!!! Always liked mules, never owned one, never even rode one. They just seem to be from a long gone place in time when men were men and women ate their young. Ok that's maybe not all true but it's 1/2 true. Great video though, can't argue that!!! Nothing like good dogs and good mules. Bill. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: Raeford Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Great vid!
Loved the still of her tied to the elk antler.
The video is a pretty good summary of hunting in Wyoming
Originally Posted by oldno77
link to sale?

https://saddlemule.com/
Posted By: JeffA Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
The video is a pretty good summary of hunting in Wyoming

More of a teaser.

We need details.
Rumor has it you been around some monster mulies.

Know anything about this buck?
[Linked Image from bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com]
13th biggest mule deer buck taken by rifle on the North American continent, Boone and Crockett green score was 251 gross
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Excellent video and welcome sir.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Originally Posted by kwg020
We had some old boys who used to hunt coons at night from the backs of mules. They rode while the dogs run down the coons. When they got to a fence they would put a blanket over it and the mules would jump over it. Them guys are all gone now. They were a national treasure, they just didn't know it.

kwg

They still do you just can't see them from the road
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22

I see Jake Clark's sale is about two weeks later this year. Not uncommon for those mules to go in the $20-$50k price range.

I have been using mules for close to 40 years. No horse can match a really good mules. Then again same thing could be said about a really bad mule. Bad mules are usually the result of bad people.

Quite a few people are in the business of training people for mules now days. When a mule won't do something, usually the person asked the wrong question or asked it the wrong way.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
link to sale?

Apparently you have to be signed up. I couldn't get through the cover photo to get to the real stuff.

kwg
I know everything there is to know about that buck and I'm not saying anything lol. If you have max Wyoming deer points hit me up.
Posted By: wyoelk Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
K Bar Z?
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Mountain Mule - 01/12/22
Great videos! Thanks for sharing them.

One of my favorite parts was your little girl climbing the fence to get in the saddle. smile

You are one lucky man to live where you do and do what you do.

Oh, and welcome to the 'Fire!

Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 01/13/22
Close. I'm just up the road
Posted By: wyoelk Re: Mountain Mule - 01/13/22
Close. I'm just up the road

Beautiful mule. Great videos
Posted By: JeffA Re: Mountain Mule - 01/13/22
I know everything there is to know about that buck and I'm not saying anything lol. If you have max Wyoming deer points hit me up.

Well, your mule show was dandy but the only point I've got is every man should arrive to the Fire with a story to tell and I belive you my friend have a few.

If you stick around long enough these guys here will squeeze a tale or two outta ya.

Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 01/15/22
link to sale?

Apparently you have to be signed up. I couldn't get through the cover photo to get to the real stuff.

kwg

Apparently there behind schedule it should work when they get the site updated
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Mountain Mule - 01/15/22
I hope whoever buys your mule appreciates her. You've spent allot of time with her from the looks of it and I don't see how on earth you could part with her.
Posted By: Mwbyler Re: Mountain Mule - 01/15/22
Man if that doesn't make you fall in love with an animal I dont know what will!
Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 01/19/22
Long ways for a pup

Attached picture IMG_0981.jpg
Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 01/21/22
link to sale?

kwg

Apparently there behind schedule it should work when they get the site updated

Website is working now.
Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 05/13/22
[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/H9cyUJA7DAM[/video]
Posted By: CCCC Re: Mountain Mule - 05/13/22
Thanks - beautiful animal - and so versatile. Obviously not one of the "ornery" ones.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Mountain Mule - 05/13/22
Cool video. That’s quite an animal you have there. It’s a long way to the bottom on a couple of those side hills. 😊
Posted By: Andy3 Re: Mountain Mule - 05/14/22
wyomntpounder,

PM sent.

Andy3
Posted By: JeffA Re: Mountain Mule - 05/14/22

So wyomntpounder is back and still holding out on telling me about this monster mule deer....

[Linked Image from bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com]

The shorts don't post here, tried one of mine the other day with the same results..
Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 05/14/22
They couldn't load it to the Mule Days either, I can't figure out how not to make it a short. You'd think the hard part would be trotting after a grizzly in a halter and getting it on video but nooooo.... And yeah, still not blasting the internet with deer stories lol.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Mountain Mule - 05/14/22
The videos have to be longer than 60 seconds or YT automatically makes them shorts.
Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 05/14/22
Thanks.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Mountain Mule - 05/16/22
61 seconds, perfect!

Now how bout that mule deer story?
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Mountain Mule - 05/16/22
I’ve got a mule story for ya.
There is not much for livestock in Northwestern Ontario. In the early 1980’s some farmers from Wisconsin brought their coon-hunting mules up to moose hunt off of. They stopped early in the morning for breakfast at a local truck stop—they got their mules out in the parking lot and fed them a bowl of Joy dog food each. The local Finn and French pulp cutters were Laughing out loud over that.
5 days later they showed back up with 4 huge moose heads tied to the top of their horse trailer. Bunch of pulp-cutters mumbling about how that ought to be outlawed.
Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 05/18/22
That's funny!
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Mountain Mule - 05/18/22
That's funny!

Very nice mule.

That said you can never fool a mule and who ever ends up on her back will need to prove they are worthy.

Just the way mules work.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 06/08/22
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Mountain Mule - 06/09/22
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Great vid........................good mules are great, bad ones...............well, not so much. LOL.

I've ridden both kinds.

MM

I've heard many will wait patiently for years to get a chance to kick you in the head.

They are pretty smart. Years ago if one got a cut infected with screw worms it would, like a hog, lay in a bog or water until the worms were drowned.
Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 06/09/22
Chasing Lion
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Mountain Mule - 06/09/22
Cool stuff! About 15 years ago I rented 2 mules to pack out an elk that I shot 10 miles in. I had some horse experience but never been around mules. When the guy dropped them off at the trailhead he was going over some mule basics. He says “You gotta love this mule. Do not hit this mule. If you hit it, it will fu ckin kill you.”
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Mountain Mule - 06/09/22
I was with an outfitter once who had a bunch of mules. And some of the biggest I’ve seen. Smoothest ride I’ve had and I was glad to give him his way on some of the trails.

On the same hunt, on a level, flat trail, another mule stumbled to his knees throwing his unsuspecting rider off, over his neck. The only reason they could come up with, is he may have gone into “sleep-walking” mode and dozed off on a trail he has traversed a hundred times before. The guy suffered a pretty good cut on his forehead.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Mountain Mule - 06/09/22
Great video.
Posted By: DMc Re: Mountain Mule - 06/09/22
Great thread
Posted By: wyomntpounder Re: Mountain Mule - 06/12/22
I'm a piss poor roper but this was fun. I guess if she'll chase a bear, a plastic cow is no big deal.
https://youtube.com/shorts/qgmHAyxNOew
Posted By: WhopperStopper Re: Mountain Mule - 06/12/22

kwg

Same here. Some buddies also used them for coon hunting. The fences in our area were often strung through swamps, brush, heavy thickets. Every once in a while a mule would take to the air while an unsuspecting rider about sharted while hanging on for their lives. Some fond memories.

I never would have dreamed the price of mules today. Obviously the ones I were around must have been the scraping the dregs.

WS
Posted By: kingston Re: Mountain Mule - 06/12/22
Beautiful mule. You're gonna miss her.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Mountain Mule - 06/12/22
Awesome video great opening song choice actually good choice on both of them. Welcome
© 24hourcampfire