Home
Posted By: TheKid HIPAA? - 01/13/22
Does the OSHA “mandate” as it stands at this moment give your employer the right to disclose personal medical info to people in the company outside of HR?
Posted By: Raspy Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
Originally Posted by TheKid
Does the OSHA “mandate” as it stands at this moment give your employer the right to disclose personal medical info to people in the company outside of HR?

That's a good question and I do not know....but the Dems will have a workaround....that's for sure.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
Rules and the left are mutually exclusive.
Posted By: TheKid Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
This morning at the normal round table we were informed that a list of the unvaxxed had been emailed to all supervisors. We aren’t happy if you can imagine and we got a talking to when privacy rules were mentioned.
Posted By: HoosierHawk Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
HIPAA laws only apply to those in the medical profession with access to medical records. Once you disclose medical information to nonmedical personnel, it is now under the purveyence of personal information disclosure laws, the same as financial and other personal information.

In other words, it's pretty much public, but your employer probably has personal nondisclosure policies stricter than the government's.

My employer is using a third party confidential data agency to keep our vaccination status files, in preparation for SCOTUS not overturning the OSHA mandate. If SCOTUS does overturn it, the data agency will be told to destroy the data, and my employer's HR folks will never see it.
Yeah we sign all kinds of medical non disclosure forms when we hire on that say HR won’t share our info and now they pull this.
Posted By: rost495 Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
I'd think hipaa should cover it. But I doubt you can stand on it on this issue. The commies simply don't care.

And companies, rather than cover for the people that make the money for them, just go along with anything, its all about money and power.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22

The OSHA mandate does not grant them that right, for the most part they have always had it.

There was a slew of people here claiming HIPAA would save them, or they'd sue the grocery store for asking them to wear a mask. There was one boob who was suggesting he'd sue the CDC over the eviction moratorium. Nothing ever came of any of it and nothing ever will, mostly due to what HoosierHawk posted.
Posted By: goalie Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22

You are providing that data willingly. It's not a HIPAA thing.

😉
Posted By: hookeye Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
My employer has suggested " updating " vaccine status to their chosen 3rd party.

Nobody is doing it LOL
Posted By: Aviator Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
They can ask you to sign a disclosure but they can’t legally look into your medical records without your consent.
Posted By: goalie Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
Originally Posted by Aviator
They can ask you to sign a disclosure but they can’t legally look into your medical records without your consent.

To clarify: they ask you too provide vaccine status. When you do, YOU disclosed that status, not your place of employment.
I get that but was led to believe that medical info was between the employee and HR. What’s the point of disclosing it privately with HR if they’re going to print a roster for anyone to see?
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
Call HHS and tell them you want to report a HIPAA violation.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
I get that but was led to believe that medical info was between the employee and HR. What’s the point of disclosing it privately with HR if they’re going to print a roster for anyone to see?

If you provided it to them it has nothing to do with HIPPA.

HIPPA at it’s most basic says that your physician/healthcare provider can’t provide records to your employer (or anyone else not involved with your care who is not HIPPA compliant) without your consent.

There is a tremendous amount of misunderstanding regarding HIPPA, especially on this forum.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

If you provided it to them it has nothing to do with HIPPA.

HIPPA at it’s most basic says that your physician/healthcare provider can’t provide records to your employer (or anyone else not involved with your care who is HIPPA compliant ) without your consent.

There is a tremendous amount of misunderstanding regarding HIPPA, especially on this forum.

There are exceptions, LE being one of them.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
Yes, there are limited exceptions.
Posted By: wdvicker Re: HIPAA? - 01/13/22
Well they have your Social Security number can they share it.
Posted By: deltakid Re: HIPAA? - 01/14/22
HIPAA is a piece of s**t joke. When my MIL's information was stolen by a secretary at her physical therapy place, HHS would not even look at prosecuting her under HIPAA. They said it only applied to businesses.
© 24hourcampfire