Home
What would you do different than you did?

Me, I'm not at all sure.
20 years ago I retired at 57, maybe I would have retired at 56 .
I can't remember that far back.
I like how I ended up but I can see doing some of the hard stuff differently
If I could go back 20 years with the knowledge I have today (49):

Eat more junk food
Realize that 20 years passes in the blink of an eye
Go after the ladies with daddy issues (at least every now and then)

For the fun stuff most of us like, I would have saved more and gone on harder hunts early, like sheep, and saved the easier stuff for later.

Be nicer to more people
Hammer that brunette seen at the punk rock show.
Definitely would have done a few things differently.
I'd still be old.
After reading Kaywoodies post in the Covid thread I would do my best to get hit by lightning!
Woulda never moved north...the power of pussy got me.
If I were 30 again I would move to Alaska.
Damage already done. Need to go back 50.
Originally Posted by knivesforme
After reading Kaywoodies post in the Covid thread I would do my best to get hit by lightning!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Nothing...
Partied like it was 2002.
buy apple stock
I'd change a few things.. mostly a few personal choices along the way from 18-23.... but it is what it is... I turned put pretty good.
Got 3 great kids, wonderful wife that I don't deserve, a home and a few acres, and a pretty good job...
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by pahick

Kind of the same and that particular pussy ain't even around anymore.
Buy more land
Maybe some job & financial changes, plus ridding myself of any dependency on puss or a financial partner.
20 years ago I worked harder... not smarter/

Now, I work smarter... not harder.

I seem to get more done now.

But the pain is about the same.
Nothing really.
Buy more land !
Get a divorce, moved to key west,fished a lot more
Eat healthy, take care of myself
Go back to 25? Lot there to think about....
I’m glad I’m not twenty years younger. I’ve lived within my time.
If I were 20 years younger I’d still be too old to date the young women I work with.
Pulled the trigger on Netflix stock at < 1.00 a share. Had a hunch to buy several thousand shares and didn’t do it, Apple also.
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Go back to 25? Lot there to think about....

I would have been 32...

I wrecked a whole lot of chit when I was 32.

Lord... please help them and me heal... Amen.
Avoid the evil #2.
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Avoid the evil #2.

Yep. That too.
... I'd still be an old man.
20? Buy some stocks. Take better care of myself.

37?
Would love to say work at my education, go to college and/or military.

That would have likely earned me more money and a more
prestigious career. But I have a great wife, a good life.

I could be a retired military officer with a cushy engineer/consultant
thing going. Three times divorced and an alcoholic.

Pretty happy with what I got.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Avoid the evil #2.

Yep. That too.

+2

And I woulda sunk every penny I had into gold stocks. About that time I was talking to a buddy who worked in gold mining. Said things were slow. I asked him how the gold mining business could be slow. He said they know where there’s lots of gold, but it wasn’t worth pulling it outta the ground at $300/oz. That shoulda been my clue.
I would have had more kids, but it's not really a regret or complaint because kids are a lot at times. We only had 2. I have a fantastic life. My only regret is that I didn't take my Dad to destination fishing or hunting trips when he was able. When I could afford it, he wasn't physically or emotionally able.
Marry a different women. Unquestionably.

Take more risk.
Originally Posted by MD521
I'd still be old.

BOFUS
Go dancing more, can see it coming to an end!
I'd be in my teens and given how things are going I wouldn't change a thing.

Except maybe take up hunting at an earlier age.
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
If I were 20 years younger I’d still be too old to date the young women I work with.

This. Even another 10 years might not do it.

I wouldn't have gotten married. She deserves better.
Got at least go back to 25 years....r did I waste some time in there .....I did a bunch of hunting killed hordes of animals..... I'll never be able to do it like that again.... back then I had no monies to keep it going , ran vacation at work to the bottom... now I got 7.75 weeks of vacation, and the funds to do something..... life should stop at 30...so a guy can reboot with what I know now at 60...
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Me, I'm not at all sure.

First time around was kind of fun so I am pretty sure I would just repeat.
Bought every Firearm, Primer, powder, brass, shotgun shell that my banker would have loaned me money for.........
I almost did HAHA
Dunno, they were some good years.

I woulda paid more attention to money and the management thereof.

Life is a finite quantity after all, I feel like I had my share.
I'm busy trying to figure out what I want to do in the next 20.

Bb
Twenty years younger today or go back twenty years? Would not be interested in being younger in this messed up world today
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Me, I'm not at all sure.

Richard most think it would be going back in time, not just being younger. Big difference
20 yrs younger ? Took advantage of job opportunities that were offered to me .
Back up life 20 yrs ? 20 ain’t enough to change the stupid shiet .
Kenneth
Bang her like I was 51!😁😁
I'd need a 32 year reset. Then I could make a useful change.
I was laid off from a good job at the end of 2008 (Great Recession). I spent 2009 - 2020 working in commercial real estate. The main thing I would do different is pursue the job I have now and gotten out of commercial real estate a lot sooner.

Like some others said - I would have to go back a lot farther to make any big changes. But, life has worked out well.
I'd have them lined up and I would have my finances in order.
In 1994 I lost everything. Career. Divorce. Had to move in with my folks for 9 months and my dad had to loan me money on a truck payment.

I scratched my way back to the top. I'm comfortably retired, due to my tenacity.

Folks now look at me and think I had it easy because they don't know what happened in the past
Not a fugging thing different.
Originally Posted by skfullen
In 1994 I lost everything. Career. Divorce. Had to move in with my folks for 9 months and my dad had to loan me money on a truck payment.

I scratched my way back to the top. I'm comfortably retired, due to my tenacity.

Folks now look at me and think I had it easy because they don't know what happened in the past

I bet you got a cautionary tale you can tell.
Not a thing differently, I'm retired and bringing in $1000 more every two weeks than when I was working and getting several hours overtime. Life is good and I'm happy.
I'd be 24 and I wouldn't be reading what you old farts posted
In spite of my bitching, I'm pretty content with the path I've traveled. Any changes would likely have changed that trajectory and maybe not necessarily for the better. I still want to fly though..
I'd tell myself to take off for Alaska, just get it over - you'll figure it out late.
36 yrs younger. If I knew then how this country was going to be like, I would have moved to Alaska or Montana. Built an off grid cabin so far back I would have to pipe sunlight in. Hunt ,fish and trap for a living. Marty Mariatta (sp) from Mountain Man type [bleep].
Originally Posted by moosemike
Eat healthy, take care of myself

That's about all I'd change.
If I were 20 years younger and know what I know today, I would have bought some land and houses that were cheap at the time but have brought stupid money now.
I like where I am at right now.

Being 54, I would want to go back 40 years. Like many, I have opportunities passed that I would take advantage of and actions taken that I would pass on knowing what I know now.

The main thing being educational opportunities that I was too busy having fun to take seriously in both high school and college.

I’d get a different job prior to Conoco-Phillips buying out the company that I worked for. The money/benefits were good.... the management insufferable! memtb
not buy a dodge truck
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
Not a thing differently, I'm retired and bringing in $1000 more every two weeks than when I was working and getting several hours overtime. Life is good and I'm happy.

I plan to be in that situation in 8 years or less. Glad to hear the good reviews!
© 24hourcampfire