Home
Posted By: woodmaster81 Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Temps were well into the 20s today so decided to hit the range to play with some rifles and chronograph a few loads for my M1 carbine. I was hoping to be the only person but another car was parked in the lot. He was at the 100 yard range which was fine as I wanted to use the 200-400 range.

While unloading the sled I use to haul my stuff, the other shooter stopped to visit on his way out. He noticed the chronograph and stated, not asked, to run his loads over it. I told him he could but only after I had done mine as I have seen 3 chronographs shot and I had enough bad luck getting these loads over the chrono. He was not happy, insisting that I let him shoot right away as he was on a tight schedule. Wasn't going to happen and he left in a huff. He claimed to be a board member so hopefully I will see him at the meeting next Tuesday.

Most everything else went well except I discovered a coyote I shot on Sunday was one unlucky dog. The coyote was lasered at 218 yards and I took it through the head as it walked away. With a solid rest that particular gun and load did about 4" at best for 5 rounds and was 2" right at 200 yards. It did much, much better at 100 yards where I originally sighted it.

I also discovered 308 Win HSM target ammo with the 168 gr bullet is potentially pretty darn accurate in my M1A. I only did two 5 round groups but it shot as well as 168 gr Federal Gold Medal except about 2" above the bullseye. I saved the other 10 for a different day as I probably got lucky as I am not that good of a shot normally.

Discovered the velocity of factory rounds for my M1 Carbine was low which probably explains why it has some of the feeding and ejecting problems. My handloads worked fine which measured near 2000 fps. The closest factory load was 1870 fps and went down another 120 fps. That sucks as I have several hundred rounds on hand.

Dropping temps will make range trips to the rifle range a little less frequent. Hopefully, it keeps guys like the one mentioned away too.
Some people feel entitled!!

Goodness
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Holy hell......the impertinence of some people.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Some people don’t know what the term “favor” means.
Cue up the boomers….

“That’s why I don’t go to the range….. I shoot at my range on the land pee-paw gave me.”
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Woods you were more polite and generous than I would have been....mb
Posted By: pullit Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Some people think they are entitled to what ever they want.
Other than that, it sounds like you got good data and had a nice day at the range
Posted By: Papag Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
So WTF does he think his "board" membership entitle him to in respect to someone else's property? I'm A board member, and former chairman, in my sportsmens club and have never felt entitled to anything but input and bitching from the membership. You did good.
Posted By: OGB Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Save the factory loads for summer time. Might be enough to make them reliable?
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
I am so very mindful of others time and thankful for anything remotely appearing as a favor that I have zero patience for people who insist or will not take a hint and have to be forced into some blunt reply.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by Papag
So WTF does he think his "board" membership entitle him to in respect to someone else's property? I'm A board member, and former chairman, in my sportsmens club and have never felt entitled to anything but input and bitching from the membership. You did good.

F'in liberal, probably.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Cue up the boomers….

“That’s why I don’t go to the range….. I shoot at my range on the land pee-paw gave me.”

Now that was a funny post.
I have had interactions like this in the last six months. I am assuming the other parties were of the 7 million first time gun buyer types. They are actually the petulant princess pure civilian type.
Anytime your dealing with other humans you can expect to encounter some real jackazzes. If people would just mind to their own affairs that would be great.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
That ain't really an adventure at the range, as far as range adventures go. Wait until someone walks downrange while others are shooting because they know that bullets can't go sideways. We have berms and the cement culverts to shoot through. Or starts shooting a handgun off the top of the berm. Or hides some tannerite in their target. You show up and guys are running around with their ARs, dumping mags from positions all over the range at targets all over the range. I'm actually not upset at the cost of ammo, it's much more sane at the range now.

That's more like rudeness and weirdness at the range. Which is odd when everyone is armed.
Posted By: g5m Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Ranges can be "unusual times".
I would have reminded that jackwagon that I didn't buy the last chrono in existence, and he's free to buy his own anytime he chooses to do so!

Yes, I'm a boomer. Yes, I do own the property my range is on. I bought it and paid for it myself. Jealous azzoles without a pot to pizz in or a window to throw it out of can ESAD!
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
I’d never even consider to ask to shoot through someone’s chrono if I didn’t know them well. Kinda like borrowing a man’s chainsaw or his wife
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by g5m
Ranges can be "unusual times".

Last weekend I paid my yearly fees and went to shoot and two rifle ranges were closed with groups holding events. One group was four guys and they had the entire range closed for their personal use. No idea what that was about. From the retard that comes over and talks to you but obviously is missing a few parts from the clockworks, to schitstains wanting to go downrange to check their targets because they can't see their holes, to every other generalization we've all seen at the range, one things for certain, I hate going to the range. I do it out of necessity only.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I’d never even consider to ask to shoot through someone’s chrono if I didn’t know them well. Kinda like borrowing a man’s chainsaw or his wife

I decided if a guy asks to borrow my chainsaw, he has to take my wife too. All or nothing.
Posted By: efw Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I am so very mindful of others time and thankful for anything remotely appearing as a favor that I have zero patience for people who insist or will not take a hint and have to be forced into some blunt reply.

This ^
Posted By: ackleydave Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Very few statements set me off like “don’t you know who I am”. 😡😡😡
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by 19352012

I decided if a guy asks to borrow my chainsaw, he has to take my wife too. All or nothing.

Fair practice
Posted By: mart Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by Papag

Man, that’s the truth. I was a board member at a very large trap club. It entitled me to be the whipping boy for every self absorbed pr#*k with a shotgun. It entitled me to put on coveralls instead of a shooting vest at every event. To climb on a roof in 105 degree heat to change out a greasy kitchen exhaust fan during a state shoot and to clean up the sewage left behind when a cheapskate decided to dump his camper holding tank rather than pay at an rv dump.

The whining and complaining was unending from the members and visiting shooters. It ruined me for ever wanting to shoot registered targets again.

Board member or not, there’s plenty of self absorbed, entitled pr#*ks with firearms. A lot of them just don’t get the concept of respecting others and their time and equipment. I will say that since our club went members only and raised the annual membership fees, the incidents of range stupidity have gone down noticeably.
Posted By: barm Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22

+1

The guy sounds like a real jerk. He would probably have shot your chronograph and then blamed you for setting up wrong or saying it was junk anyway.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22

And that boat you can't get to quit leaking?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by ackleydave

Lol..."yeah you're the guy who is about to get the schit smacked out of him if he doesn't shut up. That about right?"
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Public shooting range = Circus ..
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by ackleydave

A similar situation gave rise to the use of the pejorative "Karen" if I'm not mistaken.
Any pitchers of the wife mentioned? LOL
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
I see these "adventure at the range" threads and feel pretty fortunate. I belong to a club with great facilities. We have rifle ranges out to 800 yards with target stands and steel, a 50 yard range with 3 sides of berms, set up primarily for bullseye pistol but can be used for anything anyone wants, and we have a dozen 25 yard pistol ranges with berms around three sides, many set up with plate racks etc. All ranges have covered shooting positions, concrete benches on the rifle ranges. Property is completely security fenced with 24 hr card access for members. All shooting areas have 24 hour video surveillance. Yeah, a lot of work for the membership and a certain amount of expense, but we've always got a good place to shoot and just don't have the kind of clown show so frequently related here.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
It amazes me at how people will feel entitled to, and demand, something
I would be hesitant to ask of a friend.

Thing is, it works for them.
Most folks were taught good manners and give in.

My wife gives me heck for being rude.
But I think of it as being direct, and often tell her
I only need to be polite when I'm being treated well.
I do not have to be nice, when others don't play nice.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Any pitchers of the wife mentioned? LOL

Pay for only fans, cheapskate
Posted By: rem141r Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
range management people can be some real officious ass-holes. one reason why i do not belong to a range.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
I never ask to shoot other peoples stuff.
However, will let any cool person shoot mine.

Some people at the range I completely ignore, because theyre showing what azzholes they are.

I normally pick a bench where ill be left alone.

Some prick will pick the one beside, when theres 5 others....and proceed to run an auto and shower me w brass.

Had that happen when i took a rifle I just refinished the stock on.

Put it in the case and waited for the tacticool fuggup to burn his mags. Dude shot like total chit too.
Not surprised
Last visit i tested a 9mm, had a 100 pack. Shot two mags.
Let some young guys shoot a couple mags through it too, gave him the rest of the ammo.

Had my FAL out, hed never shot one, gave him a mag and said go for it.

Made his day.

He never asked, just inquired about my gear...so I offered.
IMHO thats the way it should be done.

Years ago a guy was insistent I try his BR rifle. So I did, and outshot him with it, really steamed him.
Last time I shot somebody elses rifle LOL

This is a private club with card access so the goofiness seen at public ranges was usually a little less frequent, especially on weekdays. That said, I had someone decide to shoot at targets on one side of the range while I was down range putting up my own targets. I had the red light on and I was obviously down range. The jokers had put up targets earlier, found their guns off, and then sighted in at the pistol range before moving back. They just resumed where they left off earlier. They felt I was far enough to the side to be safe! Needless to say, I had a few choice words for them and their membership was cancelled in a few hours.

I refused to shoot on weekends and work off membership dues with weekday projects to avoid the masses who could only get out on weekends. The Chinese flu has changed that somewhat as there are more people now capable of going out on weekdays. Membership was increased too with the inclusion of members of a club that was curtailing its availability. It was once rare to see another Tuesday-Thursday mornings but now it is becoming the norm, even in the winter. I can't wait until the snow melts as I can begin using my back yard range again.

Name/title dropping irks me unless I am the one doing it! smile I've been a member of this club for 25 years so I'm fairly well established. I don't do the meetings much as there is typically a lot of discussion of the same topics with little action. One can accomplish more as a member by bringing an idea with a plan and cost to the board. If all the work is done for them, the board tends to approve the measure.

This was the fourth time I tried to chronograph the Carbine loads and I was not going to let anything prevent me this time. I would not have minded if the chrono would have gotten shot as it is pretty dated but not until after I had my data collected. It's been the best $70 I've spent so far.
Private club, my pops was on the board.
Even so I go on odd days/ times to limit my chances of interaction w the membership.

Scares the fugg outta me, how these fools have jobs ( some professional ), have spouses, breed.....and vote.

Friggin world is full of morons.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Since the stranger who shoots over your chrony is also the azzhole that puts a bullet in it and the MFer who walks away with barely a "sorry". Phluck everybody, nobody shoots over my chrony.
Posted By: mart Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

A lot of people mistake directness for rudeness. There’s no shame or disrespect in being direct. Rudeness is a different matter. Strangers who ask to shoot over your chronograph or shoot your steel targets are rude. Politely telling them no and why is being direct. It’s not rude to tell someone no.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

A lot of people mistake directness for rudeness. There’s no shame or disrespect in being direct. Rudeness is a different matter. Strangers who ask to shoot over your chronograph or shoot your steel targets are rude. Politely telling them no and why is being direct. It’s not rude to tell someone no.

I don't think asking is rude. Demanding is rude, but asking is O.K. Of course you have the right to say no.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22

What kind of chainsaw we talkin' here?
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife

Do you want a pic of the wife or of the chainsaw?

A man says you have to take his wife with the chainsaw and you are scared what might be the problem with the chainsaw?
Posted By: mathman Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Are they both greasy, smoky, loud and dangerous?
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Do you want a pic of the wife or of the chainsaw?

To put it another way, if you are willing to take the deal, it'll be whatever chainsaw you want.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22

I went to the range and the guy next to me had to beat the bolt open on his Mosin Nagant after every shot. I didn't stick around to see how many times...
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I went to the range and they guy next to me had to beat the bolt open on his Mosin Nagant after every shot. I didn't stick around to see many times...

LOL!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by mathman
Are they both greasy, smoky, loud and dangerous?

And sharp
Posted By: MMM Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Screw that guy. I have had similar experiences with my spotting scope and pushy types at the rifle range. You just finally have to say no.
Originally Posted by MMM
Screw that guy. I have had similar experiences with my spotting scope and pushy types at the rifle range. You just finally have to say no.

Shoulda piledrived that dick on the concrete.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Was at our club 100 yd range, when the only other guy on the range walks up, grabs my spotting scope and says “I’m going to use this now, you’ve had it long enough!”
He didn’t believe me when I told him to get his own, this one’s mine. “Bullschit, you’re just hogging it!” I told him the only way he was going to use it was after I shoved it up his azz far enough he could see it with his eye teeth. Grabbed it from him and he huffed his way to his truck and left.
Fugging idiot lodged a complaint against me at the next meeting. He was told that the club doesn’t own a spotting scope so yoy owe Mr. Stevenson an apology. He huffed his way out of the clubhouse never to return. I felt bad for the guy, kinda……not really.
Posted By: kingston Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Guy must be from from the East side.

lol
I belong to a small club with a membership of 125. I have served 4 two year terms on the board in the 20 years I’ve belonged to the club. I’m currently Safely Director. I have felt entitled to show up for matches that I didn’t want to go to, work parties I had already participated in enough to be exempt and the answered of all questions, both sensible and inane.
I do my best to help polite members with answers to questions that more experienced shooters already know. I’m more than happy to help shooters that are new to BR matches.
The entitled, arrogant fuc*s can KMA.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Adventure at the range - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by kingston

lol

Nope. Gaylord. The snobby Jack Pine Savage town.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

lol

I think Jack pine savage is a term of pride among the elder set. My dad always bragged about being a JPS
Posted By: Stammster Re: Adventure at the range - 01/15/22
Warning: my wife screams louder than my McCulloch 10-10 with a matchbox muffler at full throttle.

Every time she finds out I bought another gun.
Do you issue gold name badges to board members?
Perhaps they need to be reminded that they were elected to serve...

Sounds like a good day for you otherwise..
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Adventure at the range - 01/15/22
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

lol

I think Jack pine savage is a term of pride among the elder set. My dad always bragged about being a JPS

I was using the term JPS as a geographic/demographic locator and snobby as a town attitude descriptor. I lived in Grayling for 30 years and the Gaylord residents looked down their noses at the “trash” from Grayling.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Adventure at the range - 01/15/22

It's a Stihl.

If he is as old as most here,
he is wore out before he can start either one! grin grin grin
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Adventure at the range - 01/15/22
Our club has an induction process that, I think, is a large part of the reason we don't seem to see a lot of the nonsense related here. It takes about 3 months to become a member. You need to have a current member in good standing sponsor you and attend two monthly meetings where you introduce yourself to the membership and at both meetings the membership votes on you. Between your two "vote meetings" you are required to attend a half-day orientation session where it's explained "here's how we do things here, if you don't like it, don't join." After the classroom part, there's a range session where you need to demonstrate that you can handle, load, fire a handgun without hurting yourself or others. You need to possess a current CWP or pay for a background check to be run on you. There's a $750 initiation fee that tends to filter out a lot of the riff-raff. It might sound like a lot to go through, but it's a really nice place to shoot, there are monthly events in just about every rifle and pistol discipline you can think of and a lot of people who know what they're doing if you want to learn something new. Most of all, in the couple of years I've been a member, I've seen none of the kind of bullschitt that gets related here every time we have one of these threads.
© 24hourcampfire