Home
Posted By: wabigoon The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
You may have heard of the shortage of blood.

The Red Cross will not take mine since a false positive test for Hepatices C.

Anyone here donate blood?
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
Regularly. In fact I have an appointment this afternoon. Its a win-win. Donating keeps my hematocrit levels in the normal range, and LifeSouth gets the blood.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
Our daughter donates as often as she can.
Posted By: Cretch Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
I donate every 4 months doing the double reds. Next time I donate will take me to 19 gal.
Posted By: dale06 Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
I’ve done so many dozen times. Will again in next week or so.
Posted By: philgood80 Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
I wonder if they’ll stop taking blood from the unvaccinated? Seriously, anyone know? I have no idea as the Red Cross won’t take my blood. My travel history in the Marines crosses me off the list. Guess I could lie?
I have a cousin with extremely rare blood. She could make a living by regularly donating blood, but never does.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
I've seen reports that they won't take vaxxed blood. But I haven't been able to verify.
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
thanks to all those blood donors, even if youre a bitch and have me on ignore, a great gift

I’ve received between 27-29 units
Posted By: dale06 Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
Slummy, I’m O+
If that’s a match, I’ll toss you a few pints, if you need it.
Posted By: ackleydave Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I have a cousin with extremely rare blood. She could make a living by regularly donating blood, but never does.

I give as often as I can. I’m O negative negative which means that I get phoned, texted and emailed when I’m eligible. I had an uncle who had the very rare type and they actually told him not to donate. They wanted him available in case they needed his blood type. I encourage everyone to donate if they can. Dave
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
I used too, until the last tech stuck me 4 times, and missed my vein every time. She finally got it, but my arm was bruised. She also wanted my Buckmark cap, I didnt give it to her and havent beeen back since.
I had a chemistry teacher said he had donated something like every 70 days for 30+ years.

hope I’m remembering that right
Thank you all that give!
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
Gave a few months ago, time to give again. Seems when I go to make an appointment nobody is in my local town.

If there's a big shortage they should offer $$$ to donors. Nurses get paid. Doctors get paid. Hospitals get paid. The donor?
Posted By: gregintenn Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
Never have.
Would you rather receive blood from a freewill donor. or someone that needs the money?
Posted By: Pugs Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
I've seen reports that they won't take vaxxed blood. But I haven't been able to verify.

Yea. It took less time to find out you're wrong than it took you to write that. Seriously, WTF. This is how stupid spreads.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/local...19-vaccination-guide-blood-donation.html
Would you rather receive blood from a freewill donor. or someone that needs the money?
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Gave a few months ago, time to give again. Seems when I go to make an appointment nobody is in my local town.

If there's a big shortage they should offer $$$ to donors. Nurses get paid. Doctors get paid. Hospitals get paid. The donor?

I always thought if they were to pay even a nominal amount they would maybe get a few more donors. I know the plasma place sure has a lot of cars in the parking lot.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon

If it came down to no blood vs blood from someone who needs the money, I'll take the blood.

My last donation ended up going to someone in Vegas.
I never have, but I've been giving it some thought lately.
It is well worth it!
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I never have, but I've been giving it some thought lately.

I was like you and never got around to it until one night about midnight my phone rang. It was a coworker whose mom was in an accident and needed blood for surgery the next day. This was in the late’80s in San Diego and the AIDS thing had people scared to get blood from the general blood supply so he wondered if I would donate specifically for her. So the next morning I went and donated and have ever since. It does feel good to know that you are more than likely saving someone’s life. Dave
Im B-

Kind of rare (2%)
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
Just got home from giving a unit of B+. They need it badly. Do it.
Posted By: papat Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
AB+ here. Used to donate. Blood not acceptable anymore. Would if I could.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/14/22
I have given over the years at my company drives. A dozen or more times I suppose. There is a donate place nearby. I keep saying I should go and donate again. Maybe this will prod me.

Nice to know some here have benefitted.
Posted By: asheepdog Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
I donate regularly and I’m a lifetime donor, been almost long enough to donate again.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
I couldn't donate for years because I'd lived in South Africa first years. They lifted that requirement several years back and I found out when we flew into Florida the day before a cruise. We decided to go to a movie that night and thry had the blood van outside the theater. We had a bit of a wait so when I found out I could donate I did.

My blood was really thick with a high hematocrit because I'd never donated before. I felt so good after donating that I did it everytime I could after that. I don't know why but thinning my blood down a bit made me feel very good physically especially that first time. Maybe it was just the cruise but getting my hematocrit down sure seemed to help me feel great.

Bb
Posted By: Dutch Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
Used to donate until the Mad Cow rule made me ineligible. Now I’m on blood thinners, so I’m “right out” as Monty Python would say.

If you can, please do. If not you, who?
I try not to miss. Do double reds and regular depending how much time I have to set there. 59 units of O+
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
May God Bless all of you that give.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
Never have. When I was in the military (mid 90's) I had the full run of anthrax shots and they said, at the time,I can't give blood. We got a bus that comes to work all the time for blood drives. I've asked them about it but I always get the deer in the headlight look

Dont know if true or not, wouldn't mind donating.
A was given Anthrax shot in Desert Storm its not a factor
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
Tried to years ago, but they found out I was on antibiotic for an abscess tooth. Still take low dose prednisone 5mg, would that be an issue?
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
A was given Anthrax shot in Desert Storm its not a factor

You get all 5? If I'm good, we got a bus coming Monday. I'll give. Even my worthless doctor himhawed about an answer.
Posted By: pullit Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
I am 1pt from 5 gallon mark.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
I'm donating next week. They make it quick and convenient. I try to donate as often as possible
Posted By: DV_Ramrod Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
I don’t see the reason to “donate” my blood whenever the insurance companies are going to azz rape the recipient financially for receiving it. I would consider donation if the future recipient wasn’t charged. But that’s just me..
Posted By: JoelL Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
i have been donating for over 50 years. Wednesday was my 313 donation. I am trying to reach the 40 gallon level which will be 320 pints of blood.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
The last time I gave blood was back when I was in the legions.
Posted By: DV_Ramrod Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
Originally Posted by JoelL
i have been donating for over 50 years. Wednesday was my 313 donation. I am trying to reach the 40 gallon level which will be 320 pints of blood.

You also caused the recipients of your “donation” a total of $469,500 worth of medical debt on the low side for example. Don’t get me wrong, donations are important but the insurance companies make bank off your good deed while fugging the recipient…
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod

You also caused the recipients of your “donation” a total of $469,500 worth of medical debt on the low side for example. Don’t get me wrong, donations are important but the insurance companies make bank off your good deed while fugging the recipient…

There are a lot of costs involved in running the blood banks and testing etc. I wonder what the red cross gets for the pint you donate. Like most charitable acts these days there is always a parasitic element positioning themselves in the middle to profit off your good deeds.

It does take money to run anything but I hate organizations that are structured to make the supposed do gooders running them rich. Full time talent costs money but I think those running charitable type organizations need to be held to the highest standards and should be obligated to be as efficient as possible.

Despite all my personal hesitations with chartable organizations I know that it really comes down to the fact that people need blood and donating saves lives despite the money changing that may go on. So I just donate when I can and try not to get too far into the weeds worrying if money was made. I'm just happy to know that someone who needed blood likely got it. It's inconvenient and no fun to give blood but it gives me a ton of faith in humanity to know that people will still do it and help total strangers. It's a good thing and we need more good things these days.

Bb
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod

My premiums are the same every month whether I’m in ICU or sitting in a deer stand
Posted By: pullit Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/15/22
I'm O position so they bug the crap out of me about giving.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/19/22
Gave again today
Posted By: Raeford Re: The Blood Shortage. - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
You may have heard of the shortage of blood.

The Red Cross will not take mine since a false positive test for Hepatices C.

Anyone here donate blood?

Same here, first and only time I donated they informed me that they tossed mine out. frown
© 24hourcampfire