Home
Posted By: wabigoon Polo? - 01/17/22
Ever play it?

It strikes me as a sport that could get rough, being run over by a horse, and all.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Jonas Salk found a cure
Posted By: johnw Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Wife is from there

Polo Link
Posted By: skeen Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
Jonas Salk found a cure

laugh laugh
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Rex Allen did a piece on an outlaw horse, the was bought by a city slicker to be a polo pony.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ever play it?

It strikes me as a sport that could get rough, being run over by a horse, and all.

Ya don’t get run over if you don’t part company. 😉

Water polo is a bad ass sport, too.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Ever play it?

I don't often play polo. But when I do........
Thanks all.

Ronald Reagon, 'There is nothing better for the inside of a man, the the outside of a horse."
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Polo? - 01/17/22

Does Segway polo count? I can't keep a horse in the suburbs.

Posted By: ironbender Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Thanks all.

Ronald Reagon, 'There is nothing better for the inside of a man, the the outside of a horse."

Here’s where ol’ Ronnie got it.

“There is nothing so good for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse” (horse-riding adage)
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man” (that is, riding a horse improves a person’s mental or physical health) has often been credited to Winston Churchill (1874-1965), but the saying was popular before he was born. Lord Palmerston (1784-1865) has also been credited with the saying, but documentary evidence is lacking.

Theodore Parker (1810-1860), a minister of the Unitarian church, wrote from the West Indies in April 1859 that his health had improved. The Springfield (MA) Daily Republican added:

“He is able to bathe in the sea and ride horseback, and he says he finds the maxim true that the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.”

Theodore Parker’s letter was reprinted in many American newspapers and helped to popularize the saying, but Parker’s remarks indicated that the saying was already in circulation.

Old, old, expression.
Posted By: GringoCazador Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Go price a Polo pony…………….I think you need about 4 of them.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
I wear the shirts occasionally.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
I have a couple of friends who played polo.

They are brothers from a ranch raised family, and their dad, who was a professional polo rider taught them how to play/ride.

One of the brothers went on to be a professional polo rider. He made good money at it too. Had a ticket all over the world.

It was funny working cattle or something around the ranch, Jake would be gone the next day... off on his seasonal tour. Both brothers were top notch cowboys, and partnered on a pretty hardscrabble family ranch.

Here's their dad, from his professional polo days.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
There's a polo field just a few miles from where I live. Some seasonal and well-to-do folks started it up about 8 years ago. Spectators are welcome and it's kinda fun to watch. Lots of action, but the playing field is huge and the ball is small, making it hard to keep track of.

The stomping of the divots is overrated.
Posted By: ledvm Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
When played at higher levels…not for the faint of heart for either man nor beast.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
If not mistaken, it takes a string of 6 ponies to play at the top levels. Crazy money needed to be competitive. Got to see 2 different A level matches in Argentina years ago. It was amazing and fun. As a side note, Polo Cross is taking off in the States. Only need one horse and 3 players for a team. Poor man's polo but again lots of fun to watch. Nationals were held a few months back at a friends place here in Huntsville. Great place to take the kiddies for an exciting afternoon.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Some buddies of mine tried polo a while back, but their horses kept drowning.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Ever play it?

I'm sure that the only reason that water polo players don't have chains, pipes, and knives with them is that they would weigh them down too much.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Thanks all.

Here’s where ol’ Ronnie got it.

“There is nothing so good for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse” (horse-riding adage)
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man” (that is, riding a horse improves a person’s mental or physical health) has often been credited to Winston Churchill (1874-1965), but the saying was popular before he was born. Lord Palmerston (1784-1865) has also been credited with the saying, but documentary evidence is lacking.

Theodore Parker (1810-1860), a minister of the Unitarian church, wrote from the West Indies in April 1859 that his health had improved. The Springfield (MA) Daily Republican added:

“He is able to bathe in the sea and ride horseback, and he says he finds the maxim true that the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.”

Theodore Parker’s letter was reprinted in many American newspapers and helped to popularize the saying, but Parker’s remarks indicated that the saying was already in circulation.

Old, old, expression.

The thing is, Ron probably was there to hear it when it originated.
A rich man's sport. Boarding a horse in a city is not cheap.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
going to take some out of the freezer to cook this evening.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Knew a few people who did it.
Was invited to participate in a cowboy polo match once.

I decided I was already too old to heal from what would probably happen to me... smile
Cowboy Polo...

Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Polo is for the stupid rich. To field a competitive team can cost more than $100,000 and many teams spend waaaay more than that. A high goal professional player makes $8,000 to $10,000 a match. Lower goal players are $3,000 to $4,000 a match. And to be competitive player you have 10 to 12 ponies at any given time. A strong polo pony can cost $30,000 a copy not including fuel and maintenance.
Posted By: 673 Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
I only watch Polo with Elephants now.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Lol!!!

Polo the colonge story...

When me and khan were dating .
I would put a drop inside one wrist
Rub both wrist together and hit the side of my neck with em .
A little does alot.
Alot does little..
Anyways it was a running joke me and my buds called it Bobo.

A code word amongst us for chicks giving ya a BJ when ya had it on.

"Honk on Bobo" was the running joke phrase among us.

Infantry type buds can come up with some off the wall things for humor......

Anyways khan liked the smell of "Bobo"
It's what we called it among wives and girlfriends....

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
She went to buy me some " Bobo" colonge for christmas.
Couldn't find it anywhere and no one ever heard of it.

Eventually she grew frustrated on her search and told me she was searching for some and would like to get a bottle for me.
And where did I get it...

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴🥴😬😬😬🤪🤪🤪🤪🤣🤣🤣

Had ta explain it all to her....
Couldn't let it go on....
I was in the dog house for about a week after that one...

🤪🤪🤪🤣🤣🤣🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤣

Posted By: smokepole Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by stxhunter
going to take some out of the freezer to cook this evening.

No olvides el arroz.
Posted By: JOG Re: Polo? - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Ever play it?

I'm sure that the only reason that water polo players don't have chains, pipes, and knives with them is that they would weigh them down too much.

Ain't that the truth. It's also very easy for someone to punch you in the face while you're treading water. Blood in the water, baby.

One of my worst owies was playing water polo. The pool was split into two games so my game had some of the shallow end. I had the ball standing and a couple guys had me around the waist holding me up while another had me around the neck for a dunk. The ensuing dunk tore the muscles in my neck that attach to the skull and the back muscles that attach to the pelvis.
© 24hourcampfire