Home
Posted By: NVhntr Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Seems like there was some discussion on this awhile back. This was in an email today. Very good news.

To our valued customers,

A year ago, Sportsman’s Warehouse entered into a merger agreement with Great American Outdoors, parent company of Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops. Effective December 2, 2021, that merger agreement was terminated. We at Sportsman’s Warehouse are excited to continue operating as a separate, independent and publicly-traded company (NASDAQ: SPWH).

As we enter 2022, we look forward to continuing our strong growth – adding more stores, improving Sportsmans.com, and expanding our product assortment and services. Our mission to provide outstanding gear and exceptional service remains unchanged.

Gear up for unforgettable!

Jon Barker

CEO

Sportsman’s Warehouse
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Not saying I blame them, but lately when I see 8# powder for sale at our local SW,

it tends to be the same price as Powder Valley, plus shipping, plus HAZMAT.

Maybe a coincidence, or just good planning.

Used to be some pretty good deals on clearance items.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
I don't know how they stay in business, prices have always been a joke.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Nearest one is 100 miles away, stop in there when I'm in the Big Town.

Glad to hear they're maintaining their independence........................for now.

Vista outdoors or similar will likely try to snap them up if they make a good profit for a few cycles.

Sycamore, they're likely passing costs on to the consumer at what the crazy market will bear. It Sucketh.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22

Score one for Brandon! The dems don't like monopolies even for hunting retail.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...egulatory-pushback/ar-AARp7bx?li=BBnb7Kz

Bass Pro Shops Merger Is Called Off Amid Regulatory Pushback
Jonathan Roeder - Dec 2, 2021

(Bloomberg) -- Sportsman’s Warehouse Holdings Inc., a retailer for outdoor equipment, slipped in late trading after announcing its planned merger with the owner of the Bass Pro Shops chain was canceled.

Most Read from Bloomberg

The Hot New Trend For Hedge Funds Is—Finally—Female Founders
‘Ghost Signs’ Haunt London’s Reviving Neighborhoods
Reliving the New York Subway Map Debate
Automating the War on Noise Pollution
China Cash Flowed Through Congo Bank to Former President’s Cronies
Sportsman’s Warehouse and Great Outdoors Group LLC opted to terminate the deal after the Federal Trade Commission indicated the companies wouldn’t get clearance to complete it, according to a regulatory filing. Great Outdoors will pay a $55 million termination fee.

Shares of Sportsman’s Warehouse slumped 2.6% to $16.50 at 5:12 p.m. in New York in extended trading. The West Jordan, Utah-based company had a market value of $743 million at the close.

The collapse of the deal comes at a delicate time for retail chains, as supply-chain challenges and labor shortages pressure the industry. Sportsman’s Warehouse would have gone private through the transaction, which valued the company at $18 a share.

The merger is the latest casualty after President Joe Biden in July signed an executive order calling on regulators to take steps to boost competition in the industries they oversee. The president has blamed unchecked consolidation for harming consumers, workers and small businesses.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
I heard this a while back and wonder why the announcement was so late in coming? I am certainly not complaining as I really detest BPS and what they have done with Cabela's but I think the message could have gotten out a little sooner.

The one Sportsmans's Warehouse in this area is rather small and not as well stocked regarding hunting/shooting products as Cabela's used to be but it is an option. The prices are also a bit high for handgun bullets though rifle are often pretty fair. Powder has been the going rate and not bad, all considered. When they had primers, SW was the least expensive around.
Posted By: Rt50blaster Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
They are typically out of whatever i want. So in that regard they are just like bass pro and cabelas. All about selling cheap china made clothes
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
What do you guys expect? Who isn’t out of everything I want. BPS ruined Cabela’s so I’m glad SW didn’t go that route. [bleep] BPS. Sportsman’s Warehouse always had what I wanted until the SHTF in 2013 and 2019.
Posted By: kingston Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Stock hit a 52 week low. Maybe it's time to buy SPWH.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I don't know how they stay in business, prices have always been a joke.
The pre-bankruptcy SW always had decent prices.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
They’re excited to continue operating as their own chain, only because their merger was stopped.

Cabelas was ruined before BPS took them over. BPS bought a remnant of what was a good store.

Living down here in Bass Pro central, I sure wish there was an option other than them. Used to have a SW an hour south, but they closed in their bankruptcy 10 years ago. Scheels is 2.5 hours away and I try to give them as much business as they have inventory for.
Posted By: NWT Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Never buy anything from SWH. Weird sporadic inventory/product mix and unfriendly website.
Quit Cabelas and BPS over a decade ago.
Scheels seems the best choice .
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Just got the same email. I’m excited about it because Cabela’s went to hell in a hand basket almost instantaneously after being bought out. Score 1 for the home team!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
SW sucks.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Back in July 2008 I walked into Sportsman's Warehouse heading back to the gun dept. to look at rifle. As I came in the door an assistant met me at the door and gave me a $75 coupon off a gun, even on sale items. That sealed the deal. Two guns I’ve bought there that I depend my life on were on sale. I haven't seen that anywhere else.

I’ve stocked up in reloading supplies since then, buying from them exclusively except for some dies.
Posted By: centershot Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
SW stock just fell off a cliff.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Sportsmans is my favorite by FAR of all the big stores.

Glad to hear they won't be getting ruined by Bass Pro.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
I am glad to hear it.Don't shop there much but I can say they always have something I want when I go in. BPS not so. They never seem to have what I went in for.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
SW was decent when I lived in Colorado Springs. Bought some archery stuff and powder and primers.

I shop at Scheels now. They are what Cabalas was 15 or more years ago.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Probably good news for the consumer, as the Cabela's merger wasn't an improvement,
Cabala's warranties were lost and I have not shopped there since
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Nearest one is 100 miles away, stop in there when I'm in the Big Town.

Glad to hear they're maintaining their independence........................for now.

Vista outdoors or similar will likely try to snap them up if they make a good profit for a few cycles.

Sycamore, they're likely passing costs on to the consumer at what the crazy market will bear. It Sucketh.

My closest Sportsman's is 2 miles from my house. Their powder and primer supply is limited but I admit it is less expensive than the Bass Pro just 10 miles from my house. Like many of you I am glad they did not fall in with Bass Pro and Cabelas. We all know what Cabelas was like many years ago and what it is like today.

Sportsman's is not perfect but there is little I need from Bass Pro that Sportman's can't cover. I have gone to buying online and then picking it up from the store. I certainly hope they stay independent.

kwg
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Oregon, where most of Northern Calif shops anyway is blessed with a regional chain that sells everything from sporting goods to work clothes, electronics, a little of everything. I am a faithful BiMart customer, they don't have the buying power of SW, but their prices are good and it is employee owned, not much turnover and good friendly service.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Oregon, where most of Northern Calif shops anyway is blessed with a regional chain that sells everything from sporting goods to work clothes, electronics, a little of everything. I am a faithful BiMart customer, they don't have the buying power of SW, but their prices are good and it is employee owned, not much turnover and good friendly service.

Cracks me up how "Northern California" is considered everything north of Los Angeles to some, and anybody that shops at BiMart to others! LOL
Butte Co? Nobody knows where that is...they shop in Reno I've heard. Now take poor ol Valsdad, he's probably closer to Portland than Sacramento.
Butte Co? Nobody knows where that is...they shop in Reno I've heard. Now take poor ol Valsdad, he's probably closer to Portland than Sacramento.

I do most my shopping in Tijuana!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Not saying I blame them, but lately when I see 8# powder for sale at our local SW,

it tends to be the same price as Powder Valley, plus shipping, plus HAZMAT.

Maybe a coincidence, or just good planning.

Used to be some pretty good deals on clearance items.
The one here hasn't had any powder or primers on the shelf in a long time, at any price.
Everything you can get in Tijuana, you should be able to pick up in the Jolly Fox on Saturday nite.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/17/22
For big box sporting goods it's SW or Scheels for me. Last time I was in BPS was to buy a P365 they had the best price on 3 or 4 years ago.
Everything you can get in Tijuana, you should be able to pick up in the Jolly Fox on Saturday nite.

The Jolly Fox....

You're old!
You're harsh to your elders. By the way, them targets I bought from you are defective, I hit one the other day with some .30-06 armor piercing and it made a mark. You owe me a can of paint.
Oh man, I'll have to get you to my complaints department.

Unfortunately, they took the holiday off.
I bet they are down partying at the Jolly Fox if you wanna call.

LOL
I just had a friend do a drive by, he says the only rig in the parking lot is weed spray buggy??? Now leave the boomer alone, it's 4 pm, bed time.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
What?

There must not be any doins in Montague tonight?
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
You're harsh to your elders. By the way, them targets I bought from you are defective, I hit one the other day with some .30-06 armor piercing and it made a mark. You owe me a can of paint.

Frigging young people these days and their lack of quality workmanship.

😂🦫
I just had a friend do a drive by, he says the only rig in the parking lot is weed spray buggy??? Now leave the boomer alone, it's 4 pm, bed time.

Would it be mean to suggest we’re a just smidge shocked you even hit that small metal target at your age?

😝🦫
He bought some big ones Beaver10
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Wife is in Ulta Beauty right now and Sportsman's Warehouse is right next door. I'd rather sit in my truck and people watch than even walk in there.
Originally Posted by Higginez

How big? House big or Volkswagen big?

Laffin

🦫
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Since they're based here, we have a bunch of SW stores. Sure their shelves have been bare or sparse for a while. Have you been in a grocery store lately? ANY store lately?

I go only to the fishing department, and things there have improved recently. I just picked up a Quantum bait casting rod and reel combo for $59. It's not top of the line, but it's better than the price would indicate. Wasn't looking for another combo, but there it was, and so... They still offer a Veteran discount, and I've never found their prices to be worse than anywhere else.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
We had a good Sportsman's back around 2007ish. It flopped during the recession & closed out. I did score a Buckmark Contour at a decent price a few days before they chained the doors.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
We have a Sportsman Warehouse here in Roanoke Va and I really like having it. Sure the past year has been tough for stock, especially guns and ammo, but what retailer has not struggled with that problem.
Posted By: hanco Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Do they sell beer??
Posted By: longarm Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
^^ Same deal here. Nice to have them nearby.
Sportsman's was my favorite, and I agree with others... it used to be well stocked but then everything went crazy and everyone ran out.

Sportsmans has a strange story, years ago they had several stores in Denver area, then closed a bunch suddenly. Always was a good source of primers and powder, but nobody is anymore.
Posted By: deer1 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Good to hear. Bass Pro ruined Cabela's in my opinion.
Posted By: Puddle Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Won the bet. I'm being taken out for dinner tonight to pay it off.

Crap store chains or not crap store chains, the Demo's were never gonna let this happen.

Just luv the public announcement's:

before - "we're so excited to be merging! It's all to benefit the customer."
after - "we so excited we're staying independent to better serve the customer!"

At least BPS was honest when they said the FTC was never gonna approve it.

Who won the most? Just ask yourself who got paid during all this...
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by VaHunter
We have a Sportsman Warehouse here in Roanoke Va and I really like having it. Sure the past year has been tough for stock, especially guns and ammo, but what retailer has not struggled with that problem.

I’m there at least twice a year. Favorite place to go down there.
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
I hate to see mergers but I think they have to get bigger or go home. Sportsman’s Warehouse has went downhill after the bankruptcy and Cabelas went down hill before Bass Pro bought them out.
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Score one for Brandon! The dems don't like monopolies even for hunting retail.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...egulatory-pushback/ar-AARp7bx?li=BBnb7Kz

Bass Pro Shops Merger Is Called Off Amid Regulatory Pushback
Jonathan Roeder - Dec 2, 2021

(Bloomberg) -- Sportsman’s Warehouse Holdings Inc., a retailer for outdoor equipment, slipped in late trading after announcing its planned merger with the owner of the Bass Pro Shops chain was canceled.

Most Read from Bloomberg

The Hot New Trend For Hedge Funds Is—Finally—Female Founders
‘Ghost Signs’ Haunt London’s Reviving Neighborhoods
Reliving the New York Subway Map Debate
Automating the War on Noise Pollution
China Cash Flowed Through Congo Bank to Former President’s Cronies
Sportsman’s Warehouse and Great Outdoors Group LLC opted to terminate the deal after the Federal Trade Commission indicated the companies wouldn’t get clearance to complete it, according to a regulatory filing. Great Outdoors will pay a $55 million termination fee.

Shares of Sportsman’s Warehouse slumped 2.6% to $16.50 at 5:12 p.m. in New York in extended trading. The West Jordan, Utah-based company had a market value of $743 million at the close.

The collapse of the deal comes at a delicate time for retail chains, as supply-chain challenges and labor shortages pressure the industry. Sportsman’s Warehouse would have gone private through the transaction, which valued the company at $18 a share.

The merger is the latest casualty after President Joe Biden in July signed an executive order calling on regulators to take steps to boost competition in the industries they oversee. The president has blamed unchecked consolidation for harming consumers, workers and small businesses.

Monopolies are only good when it's a social media platform...
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Would it be mean to suggest we’re a just smidge shocked you even hit that small metal target at your age?

😝🦫

Enough of you whippersnappers, I have half a mind.... perhaps that is unfortunate turn of phrase at my age, never mind I may go to Orygun and schidt in yer mailbox. Bet I can hit that sonofabitch too.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22

The last gun I bought was a (then) hard-to-locate Beretta A400 that I found while lurking on the website. Bought it quick and had it delivered the SW nearest you.

Sweet little old lady, a part-timer, greeted me when I walked in the door and asked me if I wanted a part-time job. Big discounts on employee purchases of firearms and ammo.

"It's really worth it," she said.

If I'd been sticking around it would have been a tempting offer.
Posted By: richj Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Where I live there are no big box stores for sporting goods since Dick's bailed out of the gun business, but they never had anything but 22 ammo anyway.
I did/do mail order for everything.

While I was on vaca is did stop into a Sportsman Warehouse (Vegas) not much in the way of reloading stuff unless you wanted a bag of 38-55 brass.
It wasn't much different than BassPro
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Wife is in Ulta Beauty right now and Sportsman's Warehouse is right next door. I'd rather sit in my truck and people watch than even walk in there.

Oregon City ?
Posted By: kingston Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22

You got anymore big ones?
Posted By: bcp Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Just discovered some stores have used guns, but not here. There are many more interesting ones out of production than available new.

https://www.sportsmans.com/we-buy-guns

Bruce
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Sportsmans is my favorite by FAR of all the big stores.

Glad to hear they won't be getting ruined by Bass Pro.

+1
Originally Posted by kingston

I have 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12” in stock ready to ship.

Made in USA!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Just would be nice to have one close so i could bitch about them like all of you guys. whistle
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by bcp
Just discovered some stores have used guns, but not here. There are many more interesting ones out of production than available new.

Bruce

I talked to a person in the Rocklin, CA store, about them buying a rifle from me. It's this Ruger rifle As you can see the price is a little better than $600.00 I asked if they would like to buy this rifle off me. It's new condition. They offered me $250.00 for this rifle. I declined their offer.
Just an FYI

😝🦫

Enough of you whippersnappers, I have half a mind.... perhaps that is unfortunate turn of phrase at my age, never mind I may go to Orygun and schidt in yer mailbox. Bet I can hit that sonofabitch too.

Laffin
👍🏼
🦫
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Vista outdoors scooping up every hunting/outdoor company is about to create gigantic voids in the marketplace. Entrepreneurs will step up.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Might be some validity in that link? The PA Attorney General was looking into the proposed merger last year and he's a die hard Biden lackey. Now running to succeed our current Governor, also a Biden clone.

Local SW was formally a Field and Stream. So it was an improvement over that cluster fugg.
Posted By: pullit Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
I got the email form SW as well. Very glad to hear it did not go thru after seeing how bad BP screwed up Cabela's.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

I talked to a person in the Rocklin, CA store, about them buying a rifle from me. It's this Ruger rifle As you can see the price is a little better than $600.00 I asked if they would like to buy this rifle off me. It's new condition. They offered me $250.00 for this rifle. I declined their offer.
Just an FYI
It may be "new condition" but it's "used". How close to new gun price would you buy a used gun for? A new gun is $600. They might be able to sell it for $450. They might have trouble selling the "burnt bronze" Cerakote in that area. $250-300 sounds about right. If you want more, sell it yourself.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
It is just about guaranteed that some people will think they're getting shafted if they don't get full MSRP for their used gun, and then claim they're getting shafted again when they are asked to pay half that to buy one.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
If they would have merged, that would have been a major monopoly for sporting goods, hunting rifles, ammo, components....

no competition.. prices would have gone sky high.. especially if AssPro was running the show....

I hate Bass Pro.... K Mart Low Level Quality, mega high price for it...

when they bought Cabelas, I was up in Eugene and bought a scope....had another of the same at Home...

but with Ass Pro in charge.... on a scope with a Cabelas life time warranty.. the check out gal asked me if I would like to buy a 3 year warranty on the scope for an extra $90.

That kinda caught me out of the blue, so I asked her, why was she trying to sell me a $90 warranty for 3 years on a $200 scope that the box states its got a life time warranty.

She got real uneasy, and then told me she was sorry but Ass Pro told them they had to ask that question..... pushing a needless warranty for 3 years or 3 seasons warranty.

I felt sorry for her, so I changed my tune and told her that I declined, and I had no problem with her having to ask the question, but it was crappy that AssPro put her and the rest of the check out staff in that position...... bunch of sleazeballs....

I'd quit shooting and hunting if my only source for product was via Ass Pro Shops.... Dead Serious...
Posted By: Futura Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/18/22
What a canned response. They shouldn’t have agreed to a merger in the first place. Saving face now that they can’t be sell outs.
Posted By: kingston Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/19/22

Made in USA!

I'm assuming 3/8? How many 12's can you fit in a Flat Rate?
Posted By: Higginez Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/19/22

Made in USA!

Yeah, 3/8".

Thinking 5 or so.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/19/22

Made in USA!

Don’t forget, custom paint is an extra charge.

🦫

Made in USA!

Yeah, 3/8".

Thinking 5 or so.

I'm in for a box full, maybe two.
Shoot me a text.

I'll get em boxed up ASAP.

USPS has a 70# weight limit and it's been awhile since I shipped a bunch.
Shoot me a text.

I'll get em boxed up ASAP.

USPS has a 70# weight limit and it's been awhile since I shipped a bunch.

Done!

🦫

Last time I bought two boxes of 4 inchers this showed up...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/19/22

🦫

Damn 🥴

😬🦫
That is one veiny S.O.B.!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/19/22
Sportsmans has been doing a loyalty point thing for a few years, and they ask for your phone number. Turns out they are getting rid of that and going to the credit card deal like BPS. It's important to use your points by January 20, 2022

YOUR LOYALTY POINTS WILL EXPIRE ON:
01/20/2022

No point in not getting your loyalty points. 1 point is the equivalent to 1 cent and I only had about $64 worth but I got in there and used them tonight.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Just got the same email. I’m excited about it because Cabela’s went to hell in a hand basket almost instantaneously after being bought out. Score 1 for the home team!

+1

BPS really screwed up Cabelas and I am happy they don't get to do the same to SW!
As many Tikka Superlites as I see on here, people can’t hate SW that much!
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/19/22
Swh stock sucks ..near 40 ..now 9 bucks...
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/19/22

🦫

Rocketmaaaaan!!! Burning out his fuse up here alooone…
Posted By: viking Re: Sportsman's Warehouse - 01/19/22
They ain’t that bad, they have deals once in awhile.

A lot of times their pistol prices are cheaper than Scheels or Cabellas. The Glock 43x, 489 versus 529 as an example.

The nit wits behind the counter is what gets me.
© 24hourcampfire