Home
Posted By: leadfeather Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Ok fellas , love them or hate them i am being over run with hogs , after investigating a bit i have found out that the folks affiliated with the joining property are intentionally trapping and catching hogs from other areas and releasing them on there property which is a few hundred acres and ultimately they end on our property as well as there hog dogs. I am ok with hogs existing in numbers that hunters can keep at bay or relatively so.
Here is where i am at , previously trapped hogs' are almost impossible to trap, so i am at the point where shooting hogs at night about my only option. I am not interested in dragging and loading hogs .
Here is my Question, will shooting a hog in the ribs with a 22lr eventually kill when fired from 50yds or less. im not talking about pure gut shots or maybe i am. And i am talking about the single animals , a 42pellet load of #4 buck would be my medicine for a moonlight feeding frenzy on that corn pile . If buy some chance i drop some they will be put on display in a unique way !
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I’d gut shoot the neighbors instead. Animals should be disposed of humanely.
Posted By: rong Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Yeah,not cool
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I’m not much on any animal being gut shot. Get um dead as quickly as possible. They deserve that. Hasbeen
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Your buckshot load will drop them. You will do better with SV .22 ammo than HP/HV. Neck/brain or gut shot depending on your objective. I have killed a truck load or three with .22 CB shorts, one shot and done.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
They have been known to adsorb a lot of punishment.

I would just plant them on the ground as often as you can.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

I’m not much on any animal being gut shot. Get um dead as quickly as possible. They deserve that. Hasbeen

That's my opinion for wolves, too.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I’d never intentionally make anything suffer more than needed.
Posted By: leadfeather Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I see hogs in the same catagory as wood rats roaches , fire ants and blow flies . who worries about whether a roach or a fire ant dies slowly from the poision we give them. there is a reason there are no limit on hogs or regulations on weapon selection.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
From what I can tell, it’s against the law…

Hog info
Posted By: mart Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Might check with Fish and Game. I would think they might have something to say about the trap and transfer of deleterious species. When I did nuisance wildlife control in the northwest, they were adamant that we did not trap and move any species. Any animals taken were to be euthanized.
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
From what I can tell, it’s against the law…

Hog info

I read the page for the link you provided and that is not the wild life and fisheries hunting regulation pamphlet though it does say it is illegal to transport or release wild hogs.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
if youre going to do what youre going to do, you would have been better off to just keep it to yourself
Posted By: SKane Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by leadfeather
I see hogs in the same catagory as wood rats roaches , fire ants and blow flies . who worries about whether a roach or a fire ant dies slowly from the poision we give them. there is a reason there are no limit on hogs or regulations on weapon selection.

Do you get a lot of headaches?
Posted By: rong Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
if youre going to do what youre going to do, you would have been better off to just keep it to yourself

My thoughts as well,we don't need extra negativity on an open forum.....jmo
Posted By: JPro Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Shoot to kill or don’t shoot at all.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by JPro
Shoot to kill or don’t shoot at all.
agree with this
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Hopefully these guys are joking, no animal deserves to die this death on purpose.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Head shots with a fine ($35K and up) medium bore double rifle is the only sporting way to do it. Anything less is just not cricket. You should also wear tweed and green Wellies and have all the meat processed into bacon, ham and sausage, cause them wild pigs is Tastee!

Seriously, gut shoot 'em. Buzzards got to eat too.
Posted By: rc82bttb Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Don't be lazy. shoot to kill and haul them off where ever you see fit
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22

This
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
62gr steel core 223 bullets loaded down to around 2000fps, in one side of the gut and out the other, dont ask me how I know
I think most folks use emotion in the place of morals . i turn both off when it is time to take care of bussiness. i mean what is the difference when you find a dead animal in a trap, do ya think it was laughing as it was expiring. I would consider snaring hogs but the risk for non target animals are too great
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
We don't have hogs here. What are these hogs doing to your property ? I'll have deer out here in my yard chewing up my bushes and trees all winter. Should I just gut shoot them ? They are just pests after all.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
We don't have hogs here. What are these hogs doing to your property ? I'll have deer out here in my yard chewing up my bushes and trees all winter. Should I just gut shoot them too ? They are just pests after all.

you don't want hogs in your neighborhood, they make a deer look like there on a diet
Posted By: Moto_Vita Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Ok fellas , love them or hate them i am being over run with hogs , after investigating a bit i have found out that the folks affiliated with the joining property are intentionally trapping and catching hogs from other areas and releasing them on there property which is a few hundred acres and ultimately they end on our property as well as there hog dogs. I am ok with hogs existing in numbers that hunters can keep at bay or relatively so.
Here is where i am at , previously trapped hogs' are almost impossible to trap, so i am at the point where shooting hogs at night about my only option. I am not interested in dragging and loading hogs .
Here is my Question, will shooting a hog in the ribs with a 22lr eventually kill when fired from 50yds or less. im not talking about pure gut shots or maybe i am. And i am talking about the single animals , a 42pellet load of #4 buck would be my medicine for a moonlight feeding frenzy on that corn pile . If buy some chance i drop some they will be put on display in a unique way !

What is the neighbors motive for importing hogs?
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita

What is the neighbors motive for importing hogs?

I would say for hunting, only need a male and a female and in 2 years you will have more hogs then you will ever want
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
It is illegal in Mississippi to transport and release hogs. Get the MDWFP involved.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
22, 22 mag to the ribs?

I'm not really opposed.

A friend's dad did just that with a deer that was destroying his garden.
He lived in a good sized field, with a view from the road, and didnt want it
to die in the open. It only went about 100 yards and dropped!
Not even halfway to the woods.

Intentionally gut shooting an animal would be very situation specific.
Can imagine a couple scenarios,
never have done it.
Posted By: Lacy1 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I have news for you but shooting a couple at night over a feed pile will do nothing to contain your pig problem. The only legal way to even have a chance at keeping your hog numbers under control is a full time trapping effort. I have been hunting them for years. I enjoy hunting and killing them but from personal experience hunting with gun or bow will not take enough hogs to have any overall effect on their population. Either spend the money and buy a remote controlled trap or find some trappers that will come in and work on the hogs. Keep on hunting them as well and have fun while you are doing it. I never never leave the lodge without a rifle and you never know when you are going to get an opportunity. On a 15,000 acre hunting club this weekend we brought hog dog hunters and they killed 53 in 48 hours. 6 of us were gun hunting over corn and killed 9.
Good luck.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Comparing destruction that deer do to what hogs do is, well, pretty dang stupid, or ignorant at best. Hogs are nothing more than vermin to me, and we will shoot probably 150 or so a year off of one of my buddy's places. I don't intentionally gut shoot them, but I don't have any sympathy for them either. Vermin, that's all they are.
Originally Posted by Lacy1
I have news for you but shooting a couple at night over a feed pile will do nothing to contain your pig problem. The only legal way to even have a chance at keeping your hog numbers under control is a full time trapping effort. I have been hunting them for years. I enjoy hunting and killing them but from personal experience hunting with gun or bow will not take enough hogs to have any overall effect on their population. Either spend the money and buy a remote controlled trap or find some trappers that will come in and work on the hogs. Keep on hunting them as well and have fun while you are doing it. I never never leave the lodge without a rifle and you never know when you are going to get an opportunity. On a 15,000 acre hunting club this weekend we brought hog dog hunters and they killed 53 in 48 hours. 6 of us were gun hunting over corn and killed 9.
Good luck.

and that didn't even put a dent in the hog population
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Comparing destruction that deer do to what hogs do is, well, pretty dang stupid, or ignorant at best. Hogs are nothing more than vermin to me, and we will shoot probably 150 or so a year off of one of my buddy's places. I don't intentionally gut shoot them, but I don't have any sympathy for them either. Vermin, that's all they are.
That's not the point you dumbo eared dumb fuuck but you are ignorant at best. These deer are pests too and have cost me plenty in ruined/killed trees and fencing to protect my apple orchard. They are just pests the same as the woodchucks that eat my garden but no animal deserves to be gut shot and made to suffer intentionally.
That's not the point you dumbo eared dumb fuuck but you are ignorant at best. These deer are just pests too and have cost me plenty in ruined/killed trees and fencing to protect my apple orchard. They are just pests like the woodchucks that eat my garden but no animal deserves to be gut shot and made to suffer intentionally.

I know alot of gut shot deer down here in WV in the apple orchards
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
That's not the point you dumbo eared dumb fuuck but you are ignorant at best. These deer are pests too and have cost me plenty in ruined/killed trees and fencing to protect my apple orchard. They are just pests the same as the woodchucks that eat my garden but no animal deserves to be gut shot and made to suffer intentionally.

The Difference is that hogs were introduced by man and are an invasive species. The deer are not.
Originally Posted by steveredd1
That's not the point you dumbo eared dumb fuuck but you are ignorant at best. These deer are just pests too and have cost me plenty in ruined/killed trees and fencing to protect my apple orchard. They are just pests like the woodchucks that eat my garden but no animal deserves to be gut shot and made to suffer intentionally.

I know alot of gut shot deer down here in WV in the apple orchards
I know of it happening here too but it doesn't make it any less despicable.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

The Difference is that hogs were introduced by man and are an invasive species. The deer are not.

Not the hogs fault.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Not the hogs fault.

fertile cats are another invasive species
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Heck of a thing for a neighbor to be catching them and turning them out.

We would be visiting with both the stock inspector and the game warden.
Posted By: hanco Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Illegal in Texas to transport hogs. I kill them, never gut shot one. I hate the bastards, but I don’t gut shoot them.

That doesn't make a bit of difference to my pocket book or the fact that intentionally inflicting a painful, lingering death on an animal is despicable. You've got a lot of invasive species running around down there in Texas. Do you contone intentionally gut shooting them all ?
Posted By: hosfly Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Gut shooting anything on purpose is a dick move,, kill all the hogs you can an get the state involved with the neighbors illegal trap an release,,

That doesn't make a bit of difference to my pocket book or the fact that intentionally inflicting a painful, lingering death on an animal is despicable. You've got a lot of invasive species running around down there in Texas. Do you contone intentionally gut shooting them all ?

I didn’t mention anything about gut shooting, or condone it either. Neither did JGRaider. I was merely comparing species. As did you.
You sound like those Yankees that build a house in the TX Hill Country and bitch because the deer eat all the flowers in their yard.
You plant a fruit tree or garden in the middle of a deer’s natural habitat, they’re going to find it and eat it. If you don’t like it, build a deer proof fence, or move to town.
Deer sure like rose blooms
The pea-brained Adirondak Queen has a tough life.

LOL
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
At our place it looks like a bombing run where these multiple sounders of hogs blow through. Hard to raise hay that way. Eat everything. Especially turkey and quail eggs.
TPWD say it takes above 60 percent elimination annually to just remain even. Trap and kill is almost a necessity. We have a couple of trappers that we use.

I didn’t mention anything about gut shooting, or condone it either. Neither did JGRaider. I was merely comparing species. As did you.
You sound like those Yankees that build a house in the TX Hill Country and bitch because the deer eat all the flowers in their yard.
You plant a fruit tree or garden in the middle of a deer’s natural habitat, they’re going to find it and eat it. If you don’t like it, build a deer proof fence, or move to town.
I did build a deer proof fence and it cost me plenty. I never bitched about the deer or woodchucks. Have lived among them in the country all my life. That doesn't mean they aren't pests or that I would gut shoot to get rid of them. In fact I like having them around, despite the fact that it's cost me plenty to keep them from destroying my fruit trees. Oh and my dad lives in town and has plenty of deer and woodchucks in his yard too.

Not the hogs fault.

Oh and very fun target practice!!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22

Not the hogs fault.

How do you check them first to see if they are fertile or not?

Not the hogs fault.

👍
Probably not near as tough as a dumbo eared Texican retard. Musta been a bitch going through life looking like that. Especially so being too stupid to spell Adirondack correctly to boot. LOL
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Not the hogs fault.

Lol.

I see what your seeing.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
How many of you gut shooters consider yourselves Christians???
Probably not nearas tough as a dumbo eared Texican retard. Musta been a bitch going through life looking like that. LOL

Mean 'ol deer, chewing up AQ's yard....it'll be OK.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Not the hogs fault.

after there dead
Probably not nearas tough as a dumbo eared Texican retard. Musta been a bitch going through life looking like that. LOL

Mean ol' hogs tearin' up his buddies ranch and eatin' up all JGretards deer feeder corn. It'll be alright lil dumbo ears. LOL

Dummy.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I absolutely hate pigs.
Even so, id only shoot em if offered a proper killing shot

Even pests deserve a humane exit.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I wish it wasn't such a long drive. We have to buy the hogs to have hog roasts up here. It get's to cold for them to survive a winter outside in central Iowa. I'd love to be down your way and help you out. I'll be completely retired next year. Save a few for me.

kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020
I wish it wasn't such a long drive. We have to buy the hogs to have hog roasts up here. It get's to cold for them to survive a winter outside in central Iowa. I'd love to be down your way and help you out. I'll be completely retired next year. Save a few for me.

kwg
They'll make you pay to shoot the fuggin things even though they'll whine like a little bitch about how much damage they do.

kwg

Don't worry, they would survive up there in the cold.

Pretty sure they make it in Michigan just fine.

Mean ol' hogs tearin' up his buddies ranch and eatin' up all JGretards deer feeder corn. It'll be alright lil dumbo ears. LOL

Dummy.

Get you some depredation tags.....save your yard, dry up those crocodile tears.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I have seen what hogs can do to a golf course in one night, but I would never gut shoot any animal

Dummy.

Get you some depredation tags.....save your yard, dry up those crocodile tears.
I don't want them killed dummy. If you had the reading comprehension abilities of a 3rd grader you'd have already deduced that.
Posted By: Lacy1 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Kwg020
Don’t worry. There will be twice as many running around when you retire.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have seen what hogs can do to a golf course in one night, but I would never gut shoot any animal

Never shot groundhogs, gophers, or prairie dogs?
Posted By: Jericho Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I have shot a few groundhogs
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Headshots only then?
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I only take 300 yard head shots on Prairie Dogs. 😜

Not much more fun than setting in a Prairie Dog Town that’s a couple of miles square with thousands of rounds of ammo.
It’s just about the most Legal fun you can have with a varmint rifle.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
IME, you can't shoot'em fast enough to make a real dent.

Where I hunt, local land owners got the state's professional trapper involved. He's got a neat set up, knows what he's doing. He can monitor traps from his cell phone. When the trap is full, he trips it remotely, calls the locals who go kill them and haul them off. One time he was a hundred miles away when he tripped the trap, made the call.

I have seen a difference since he's been involved, much less rooted up real estate. Even then you'll never get them all. Gotta stay after them, can't let up or they'll be back in force.

DF
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I don't want them killed dummy. If you had the reading comprehension abilities of a 3rd grader you'd have already deduced that.

Just pull your trailer over ta where the deer are eatin your bushes.

Smell will keep em away.
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Just pull your trailer over ta where the deer are eatin your bushes.

Smell will keep em away.
Well now I do have land and bushes and trees and woods and an apple orchard. Which is more than you can say Fuucktardski.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I only take 300 yard head shots on Prairie Dogs. 😜

Not much more fun than setting in a Prairie Dog Town that’s a couple of miles square with thousands of rounds of ammo.
It’s just about the most Legal fun you can have with a varmint rifle.
Betcha get a real thrill outta intentionally gut shootin' 'em and watchin 'em squirm huh ? Do you use .22 short solids to get maximum squirm time too ?
Posted By: 700LH Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Don't ask on the net, just do what ya gotta do and stfu
Posted By: Hastings Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Shooting to wound is wrong. Kill them and drag them off. But if you can show that your neighbor is bringing in hogs why not take legal action with a restraining order and a suit for damages if you ask him to stop and he won't. Importing hogs is not uncommon by folks that have hog dogs. Especially those that guide paying hunters. It is I believe illegal in Mississippi as it is in Louisiana.. Before you take legal action you might give him the opportunity to agree to stop transporting hogs in and agree to work with you jointly on killing out the trap wise older hogs. Traps and snares work but you have to stay after it. If you happen to shoot a sow that has some shoats with her the shoats will easily go into a trap. By all means if you have a choice shoot the productive females.

We had a neighbor for a while that was transporting hogs in. That's where we got our Russian hybrid hogs that now dominate. One day while I was still a game warden I visited him with a photograph of 17 hogs I trapped, shot dead and stacked in a truck. I told him he either needed to quit moving live hogs around or be ready for trouble. He sold out and moved but we still have remnants of his hogs that we hold down the population by relentless shooting snaring and trapping.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Hastings,
Back in the mid 70’s we hog hunted out of Pearsall, SW of San Antonio, Tx. There were brought in some high-strain Russian stock to intentionally breed w ferals. Well they developed what they wanted and were and are big and fierce. Much more so than just run of mill ferals, which often as you know have a lot of production hog genetics.
I see that similar in an operation up in Michigan w the bruisers. Cold weather notwithstanding.
I’ll bet some of the South Texas guys know exactly what I’m talking about.
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Hastings,
Back in the mid 70’s we hog hunted out of Pearsall, SW of San Antonio, Tx. There were brought in some high-strain Russian stock to intentionally breed w ferals. Well they developed what they wanted and were and are big and fierce. Much more so than just run of mill ferals, which often as you know have a lot of production hog genetics.
I see that similar in an operation up in Michigan w the bruisers. Cold weather notwithstanding.
I’ll bet some of the South Texas guys know exactly what I’m talking about.

The Russian swine are tough and aggressive and apparently do the majority of the breeding. I would post pictures but don't know how. They are pretty distinctive with a snout longer than a domestic but shorter than the Razorback feral hog.. The Russian is pretty large in his shoulders compared to his smaller hips. They have a mat of curly matted hair next to their hide with serious thick guard hair sticking out from that. They are equipped to survive. There isn't much they won't eat. I shot a 20 pounder this afternoon and I won't be a bit surprised if his 4 surviving litter mates don't return to eat him. They were unaccompanied so I assume mama pig is dead. If they hang around I'll trap them.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I’d love to make a trip down there to humanely shoot a few. Let me know if you’re interested.
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
22LR at base of the ear will kill about any hog as long as you can line it up. Lung shot hogs with 22Lr might die yes.. but it may be hard to tell if they did since they will run off. 22WMR can be used for humane body shooting under the right circumstances. I used to shoot a lot at a friends banana plantation at night. Due to being a small property near town, about 30 acres he wanted to keep noise to a minimum( also no supressors allowed for hunting here). We would usually draw the hogs in to feed over some old bananas and snapshoot them to about 40 yards to the body under a red spotlight. We didnt have time to line them up with headshots once the light hit them. It was normal for the pigs to run once hit, we would find them the next morning some distance away in the paddocks. These were only medium sized hogs btw, largest about 220lbs.

The 22WMR was to go-to until we started loading 357 carbines with 38 special to just under or over the speed of sound. . A cast just under speed of sound will drill them well from reasonable angles, though they may still run a ways. I prefer something like a 158XTP to about 1100-1150ps these days. You will still have velocity to get 50cal expansion to about 50 yards and sound is no worse than 22WMR, at least to my ears. If you are in the US and can use a suppressor in your area, I'd consider a 9mm, 357 carbine or even better a 44 mag carbine. Slip one of those into the lungs and forget what the hog or neighbours dog does after that.
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
The Hogs are just so being hogs, meaning whatever they are doing is within their nature. They may need to be killed, that is also part of nature, but there’s no need to cause them extra pain and suffering. They didn’t do anything “wrong” and they certainly can’t learn anything from that type of death.

MM
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Nothing short of a great depression will remedy our feral hog problem and ultimately, they will end up eating us
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22

kwg

The live in Russia.

But Iowa? That's just too cold!
Posted By: Chisos Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by plainsman456

A TP&W game biologist helped us gut a hog we had killed on the Aransas refuge. He found a broadhead with a piece of the shaft in one of the hogs lungs when he broke it open and said the tissue surrounding the broadhead was healing. This was after the archery hunt 2 weeks previously. After seeing that I wouldn't bet the farm on what the OP is trying to do.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by hanco
Illegal in Texas to transport hogs. I kill them, never gut shot one. I hate the bastards, but I don’t gut shoot them.

Could have written this myself. Same for me here.

Always feels good to drop something with big tusks on them- but not kidding myself that I am in any way controlling the population. Dang things are smart and adapt in a big hurry.

Last two deer seasons I took one opening day which I was very happy about. I have taken plenty of deer so I get more of a kick scouting for my buddy rather so seeing hogs are a treat.

You can see them in your trail cams but jumping them on my current lease is tricky if you bust their routine they tend to change it. My old lease out further west was 1000 acres and walking it you had a 50% of sneaking in on some. Miss that. both leases have seen mountain lions. Wonder how many a lion might take?
I have groups of guys down all the time to my land, rules, kill everyone you see, if you can't use it we will dig a big hole and cover it up when done
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22

Now thats pretty funny. I would venture to say that its probably something the game warden would like to know about if they are trapping and relocating hogs to an area near you. They certainly create a nuisance and cause property damage to your property. As far as your question, I doubt they will die from a 22 to the gut, I would use at least a .223 and would humanely kill them. I don't like hogs, but don't want them to suffer needlessly either. I would shoot them in the head and drag them off or leave them for the buzzards. Where I hunt, the hogs are gone in a few hours once the buzzards find them.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Nothing short of a great depression will remedy our feral hog problem and ultimately, they will end up eating us

Just gonna have to lay down the fishing poles, cold beer and remote control down and everyone do their part to eradicate.

Don’t cook ribs and drink 40s for one weekend.
A bud has 6,000 acres of crop land and hardwood bottom land on the Red River. He got the bright idea of buying a trailer load of Russians from Tennessee. Turned them loose, wanting to breed some sporting hogs. Well, they bred with the native feral hogs and now he regrets doing that.

I’ve hunted his property and one foggy morning, shot a 300# boar with my 6.5-284 at 225 yds. It was so foggy, I couldn’t range him. Only later was able to use the rangefinder after fog had lifted.

Drug him to the camp, weighed him. 300 pounds on the nose. Drug him to the bone pile. Next day passing by, saw just bones. Man, those coyotes sure were busy. Put a trail cam there. It was hogs eating hogs.

I’ve posted this before. I’ll shoot’em, not planning on eating them. And all the diseases they are said to carry…. Sorta lost my appetite for wild hogs. Now a young one, probably ok.

DF
Posted By: dale06 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
A group of us shot a dozen or so in Oklahoma several years ago. They were 50-100 pounds. We took the quarters and back straps. They were very good eating.
Posted By: Flyer01 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22

kwg

We have wild pigs in Northern Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba that survive Canada's frigid winters.

They are true vermin, pretty much nocturnal, which makes them tough to hunt in -30 -40 weather.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I do night hog hunting with an AR equipped with an EOTech and a Surefire white light. 64 grain Winchester power points. Works pretty good.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
A bud has 6,000 acres of crop land and hardwood bottom land on the Red River. He got the bright idea of buying a trailer load of Russians from Tennessee. Turned them loose, wanting to breed some sporting hogs. Well, they bred with the native feral hogs and now he regrets doing that.

I’ve hunted his property and one foggy morning, shot a 300# boar with my 6.5-284 at 225 yds. It was so foggy, I couldn’t range him. Only later was able to use the rangefinder after fog had lifted.

Drug him to the camp, weighed him. 300 pounds on the nose. Drug him to the bone pile. Next day passing by, saw just bones. Man, those coyotes sure were busy. Put a trail cam there. It was hogs eating hogs.

I’ve posted this before. I’ll shoot’em, not planning on eating them. And all the diseases they are said to carry…. Sorta lost my appetite for wild hogs. Now a young one, probably ok.

DF

Hogs have eaten hogs since the second litter I suspect. Its never stopped us from eating em but I may have a bad report in the future. Never know. Ones that come from crop areas are sweeter than store bought to us anyway. We are lucky those at 2 places we hunt are that way.

Others may not be quite as good. But just because they eat another pig or such its not a big deal to us. obviously ymmv and thats cool
Posted By: rost495 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Yup, thats why we've been able to kill so many with 22s... LOL. They can be tough if you don't know how and when and what to shoot though. Like any animal can be.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Is anyone here against gut shooting rats with a pellet rifle? Asking for a friend of course.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I know of a feral cat that was shot in the front half of the body with a 22 LR. Must have missed the vitals though since it is still around 3 years later and doesn't limp or have any side effects it appears.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Why’s everybody always wanting to drag hogs off? I leave the sumbitches laying around all over the countryside. Just split the hide down their back and fold it open a little ways and the coyotes and other pigs will have them slicked down in no time.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
I just got a kill permit invite for 30 deer from a Game Warden friend (other permits will follow shortly)... Dated yesterday thru Sept 28, 2022.

He and the landowner don't care about how or when (at night spotlighting... 22LR... any option)... or disposal (leave them lay... or harvest).

We will harvest as best we can.

So be it.

Whatever you do... or decide to do is between you... the hogs... and God.

Good luck...

FYI... I know nothing of hogs, but hear they are a real problem for some.
As far as a 22 in the ribs not killing one of the big mean bulletproof pigs, a guy I worked for a a kid killed a giant boar with a single Golden Bullet. He saw the pig in his field and grabbed his 16” Rossi pump 22 out from behind the seat. He got to within about 75 yards before it winded him and took off. One shot, on the run, through the ribs and he folded like a lawn chair. Hired man said it was cause them Golden Bullets was hollow points.
A local guy that live maybe 5-10 miles from me has been trapping sounders the last 3 years with a Hawg Boss gate setup and a mobile pen. He said yesterday that their total is now around 600 pigs for the general area. It seems like he's putting a dent in them, as they aren't quite as prolific as they were in years past. I'm fortunate in that my property is near a large river bottom area that pulls the pigs off of me when acorns fall. As a result, I'm not generally as bothered by them during Nov/Dec when deer hunting. I still get roaming solo boars, but the big sounders are in the hardwoods until late winter. Now when the river jumps up in the spring, they are back on me.

I don't dislike hogs as much as I dislike the black bears. Hogs do consume a fair bit of the spring/summer groceries that the deer will miss out on, but the bears F-up everything they come in contact with.
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
do they poison hogs in the US? Here in some states pigs outnumber people, literally. A lot get shot, some get trapped, but the vast majority are probably poisoned by landowners and parks authorities. Chemicals of choice are 1080 poison and well anything else a farmer cares to use. The herbicide gramoxone injected into a pigs carcass and left for other pigs to feed will knock them off. Having seen how poisoning kills, shooting is vastly more humane. But maybe an option if its legal where the OP is.
went out one night with my 22 and sat on stand, shot at least 40 some squirrels at the feeder, one of the hunter said I got some cleaning to do, I laughed, next morning no more squirrels
Originally Posted by 158XTP
do they poison hogs in the US? Here in some states pigs outnumber people, literally. A lot get shot, some get trapped, but the vast majority are probably poisoned by landowners and parks authorities. Chemicals of choice are 1080 poison and well anything else a farmer cares to use. The herbicide gramoxone injected into a pigs carcass and left for other pigs to feed will knock them off. Having seen how poisoning kills, shooting is vastly more humane. But maybe an option if its legal where the OP is.

I understand some of that technology has been studied but as far as I know, not much application. Collateral damage is always a concern.

Professional trapping with high tech equipment is the most effective tool we have. At least in our area.

DF
Originally Posted by TheKid
Why’s everybody always wanting to drag hogs off? I leave the sumbitches laying around all over the countryside. Just split the hide down their back and fold it open a little ways and the coyotes and other pigs will have them slicked down in no time.
There is a problem with that. Dead hogs attract the black vulture. If you own cattle you will find that black vultures prefer fresh meat to stinking meat. If they are hanging around eating a decaying hog and a cow pushes out a fresh calf dozens of vultures will surround her and kill the baby. I drag hogs to the back corner and usually the alligators are waiting if the weather is even slightly warm. We have gators that can pull a 200 pounder into the water and so far the gators haven't taken to attacking cattle.

Amen brother. Vermin.....it's what they are.
Originally Posted by Hastings
There is a problem with that. Dead hogs attract the black vulture. If you own cattle you will find that black vultures prefer fresh meat to stinking meat. If they are hanging around eating a decaying hog and a cow pushes out a fresh calf dozens of vultures will surround her and kill the baby. I drag hogs to the back corner and usually the alligators are waiting if the weather is even slightly warm. We have gators that can pull a 200 pounder into the water and so far the gators haven't taken to attacking cattle.

Around here, carcasses are cleaned to the bone in short order, so it's a non issue. Coyotes and hogs are much more of a threat to land, calves, etc than any vulture.

Around here, carcasses are cleaned to the bone in short order, so it's a non issue. Coyotes and hogs are much more of a threat to land, calves, etc than any vulture.

Another plus is my state says we can shoot black buzzards now too. I can’t wait to see what a 25gr Vmax at 4100 will do to one.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22

A member at one of my old gun clubs had vacation/hunting property in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. He seemed a steady sort, and not given to telling tall tales. One day he told me he had called the Michigan state game people a few years before to complain about a wolf with a tracking collar who had been hanging around the neighbor's property where there were small children. Send somebody out to trap it, he said. It needs to be relocated.

The woman who answered the phone told him it would be a couple of weeks before they could address the call, or ... he could just belly shoot it and let it run off to die, thereby saving everybody a lot of trouble.

Then she hung up. Didn't give her name.

He didn't do it, but he said it gave him a new perspective on game management in the northern part of the state.

Never heard what happened to the wolf. Or the neighbor's children, for that matter.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22

DF

Going to say, only seen hogs eating hogs, have never seen a yote or a buzzard eating them, I'm sure they will , but haven't seen it.
I would never do it on purpose, but I wonder how many of those shot from helicopters are maimed and gut shot etc...
Originally Posted by stxhunter

DF

Going to say, only seen hogs eating hogs, have never seen a yote or a buzzard eating them, I'm sure they will , but haven't seen it.

Buzzards are on them in Burnet ten minutes after you shoot one. I’m talking hundreds of them. Rancher tries to calve about now, no black buzzards, a few Turkey bastards, that’s all.

How far north do buzzards go in the summer. Black buzzards didn’t show up until about ten years ago

Another plus is my state says we can shoot black buzzards now too. I can’t wait to see what a 25gr Vmax at 4100 will do to one.

Look for an explosion of feathers. What cartridge is that?
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I would never do it on purpose, but I wonder how many of those shot from helicopters are maimed and gut shot etc...

Good point.

I imagine most hog hunters have gut shot some runners after dumping hog #1 in a group, but at least they're trying to make kills and will likely put another round in a wounded pig if they can.

I think most folks would say there's a difference when somebody is intentionally gut-shooting every animal to let them run away so they don't have to deal with them on-site. Probably not much difference to the pig though!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Some videos I’ve seen on night excursions hunts for pigs look like gut hits. Night vision scopes, mounted on AR platforms raining down rounds on piggies running, sure look like the shooter is just trying to get lead into them without much worrying over shot placement.

Just an observation ~ No judgment.

🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Some videos I’ve seen on night excursions hunts for pigs look like gut hits. Night vision scopes, mounted on AR platforms raining down rounds on piggies running, sure look like the shooter is just trying to get lead into them without much worrying over shot placement.

Just an observation ~ No judgment.

🦫

That’s about al you can do when a pig is running. They can cover some ground quick.
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Good point.

I imagine most hog hunters have gut shot some runners after dumping hog #1 in a group, but at least they're trying to make kills and will likely put another round in a wounded pig if they can.

I think most folks would say there's a difference when somebody is intentionally gut-shooting every animal to let them run away so they don't have to deal with them on-site. Probably not much difference to the pig though!

It happens. I killed ten out of one bunch a couple weeks back and was pretty sure I’d shot an eleventh but couldn’t find any sign of one. Couple days later I saw one out there and went after it. After I killed it I found that I’d hit it low in the shoulder and missed the vitals on the first rodeo. I always try to make good shots on everything and I’ll use an extra bullet to put down the wounded. But I don’t go to any huge lengths to trail them up once they get in the thickets either.

Very best reason for getting a silencer for me was the way they confuse pigs and let you get more out of a bunch. That and the PSSHHH———Thwap! sound when you hit one. I’ve sometimes hear the bullet land when I would have thought I missed and walked over to find a dead pig a short ways away.

Same here. Other hogs clean up the carcass in short order. The buzzards don’t get a chance.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

kwg

The live in Russia.

Other than an occasional escaped hog, I have yet to see a ferral hog in central Iowa. Any where in Iowa as far as that goes. Apparently, I'm not living right.

kwg
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Probably not near as tough as a dumbo eared Texican retard. Musta been a bitch going through life looking like that. Especially so being too stupid to spell Adirondack correctly to boot. LOL

grin
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22

kwg

The live in Russia.

Other than an occasional escaped hog, I have yet to see a ferral hog in central Iowa. Any where in Iowa as far as that goes. Apparently, I'm not living right.

kwg

Dude you MUST BE living right.
They may sound like fun but you don't want them. Imagine a herd of backhoes destroying your property. They really mess up fields and even peoples yards with their rooting.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Didn't Australia develop a hog poison? But the US wont approve its use here.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Iowa doesn't have enough unbroken cover to support hogs. Tons of food but they would have to hide behind road signs and power lines, there isn't enough fences left to hide behind corner posts.
Having to hunt and shoot feral hogs is like having a case of jock itch. It sucks overall and can really be irritating, but it usually puts a smile on your face when you get to scratch it.....
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
They tear up a lot of pasture, make a mess of things, and who knows what they do to the ecology of an area. My neighbor’s back door overlooks where they often travel on my land. I told him to do whatever he can to get lead into as many as possible. Shot placement is not a concern to me. I view them as an oversize infestation of rats.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22

Same here. Other hogs clean up the carcass in short order. The buzzards don’t get a chance.

I killed a nasty old boar that had a large tape worm crawl out after a day or so. That thing laid there for 6-8 months. Nothing would eat it.
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
They tear up a lot of pasture, make a mess of things, and who knows what they do to the ecology of an area. My neighbor’s back door overlooks where they often travel on my land. I told him to do whatever he can to get lead into as many as possible. Shot placement is not a concern to me. I view them as an oversize infestation of rats.

That’s a great way to view them, big cockroaches is another. That can rip up a football field in one night. They had to build chain link fences around the practice fields where I worked.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
STX Hunter

here the coyotes and buzzards have no issues eating hogs. Gators either. Black bears help too.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by slumlord

^^^^^^
This
Originally Posted by 1911a1

kwg

The live in Russia.

kwg

Dude you MUST BE living right.
They may sound like fun but you don't want them. Imagine a herd of backhoes destroying your property. They really mess up fields and even peoples yards with their rooting.

We had a neighbor who wasn't good with fences. He had a couple of sows and about 10 or 12 babies in our yard over a couple of days. They tore the crap out of the yard. My dad had a conversation with him and he finally got them rounded up. It only took a day or 2 and the yard was a mess and so was some of the pasture. That was 40 years ago and that was the last time I saw pigs out. They were domesticated stock and i really doubt they would of survived over the winter. Their genetics were all wrong for the really cold weather. Our pigs in the really cold weather never left the hog house except to eat out of the feed trough twice a day and then right back in.

If you have pigs in Michigan, they are no longer domesticated. They are several generations feral and come up from the south over the course of several years.

kwg
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Back in the old days before lazer range finders and dialing scopes we sighted are p-dog guns in high to be on at 300 yards. Then we held low for a body hit and how ever far in the wind we thought would get the bullet on the target. One of the things a lower body shot would do was to loft the p dog. Something on the order of a 22-250 or the swift would get you a 8-12 ' loft never saw one that got lofted run off. 222's and 223's not near the loft but back then we never shot many bullets lighter than 50 grains. Shooting a dog town generates a lot of carcasses if your hitting , other varmints clean them up. Pretty short order. Fact is after they go down if you wait awhile wily coyote might show up as a bonus. One year a guy I know told me of a fellow who had p-dog problem who couldn't let just anyone bang away on them. He lived with the road to the airport on his east side and over the hill to the west was a subdivision. So it was a low noise requirement as well as low power need. I looked it over and decided all I had to do was stay in an old irrigation canal that was dry using sub sonic Remington hp 22lr's. The next biggest problem was dogs from the subdivision carrying off the carcasses to upset their owners. Wanted me to pick up the carcasses. I found out a pdog shot low would make it back to his mound and burrow to bury themselves and that took care of the disposal problem. Did what was necessary to shoot there causing no problems for the owner or myself. Went about twice weekly for about 2 months. Inexpensive varminting for sure. Got tiresome in the end, no I didn't run out of pdogs. He finally had them poisoned. Sometimes you need to do what needs to be done and not get too ideological. Way it is...mb
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

That’s a great way to view them, big cockroaches is another. That can rip up a football field in one night. They had to build chain link fences around the practice fields where I worked.

like sea gulls.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Yes sir, buzzards will eat them here. I shot a pig yesterday and didn't drag him off because my bride had ordered me back home due to me having Corona. Went back up there about 2PM today and he was being taken care of by 3 turkey buzzards. Those turkey buzzards aren't bad about attacking calves so I let them be.
I have a big hog grave yard, wouldn't even want to guess how many is buried there
Posted By: leadfeather Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
We don't have hogs here. What are these hogs doing to your property ? I'll have deer out here in my yard chewing up my bushes and trees all winter. Should I just gut shoot them ? They are just pests after all.

Well lets see ...they are more efficient at at plowing your fields than a turning plow, they will eat a newborn fawn as quick as they can get there mouth on it . the love quail and turkey eggs and deer tend to go where hogs are not.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22

Well lets see ...they are more efficient at at plowing your fields than a turning plow, they will eat a newborn fawn as quick as they can get there mouth on it . the love quail and turkey eggs and deer tend to go where hogs are not.

I won't argue the damage hogs do. In fact I get called in by farmers to help shoot them out of the fields, and I try to kill more hogs than the plague.

But I try to put them DRT. Any animal deserves a humane death. No exceptions.
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
it's fun to hunt them but they get out of hand within a year
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22

You’re just frustrated. Animals are innocent - proceed with a neighborly letter from your attorney instead.

Please don’t intentionally wound a game animal no matter how pissed you are at the situation - not their fault.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I won't argue the damage hogs do. In fact I get called in by farmers to help shoot them out of the fields, and I try to kill more hogs than the plague.

But I try to put them DRT. Any animal deserves a humane death. No exceptions.

Millions of rodents have been killed with anticoagulants, and the internal bleeding caused is painful
Fellas , can somebody tell me why a nongame animal with such a destructive nature receive any better treatment than say a wood rat or a cockroach that most everybody has at one time or another poisoned or hired an exterminator to do it for you. Most all of these hogs that i am dealing with have proven to be very trap shy from previous trapping and loading a 250 plus lb. hog is a challenge at best for me . I was approached by a fella that bragged about how good his dogs where and if i would just let him in he would rid us of our problem. I agreed with the stipulation that no hogs left alive . that was the last I herd of him.
the other day I was traveling between Campti and Clarence and saw what i thought was a barrel in the ditch that moved, then it looked more like a baby Rhinoceros and all I could thing of was how many fawns has that thing eaten and how much destruction will he cause in the future. I am fed up!
So I take it that you folks that would never gut shoot a feral hog are never going to poison another insect or rodent!
I see a market for live roach and wood rat traps!

Posted By: 700LH Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
So i take it that you are never going to poison another insect or rodent!

Dead is dead, once you get there how doesn't matter as much

I like humane kills, but when a critter is enough of a problem getting them gone is what counts most
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
Fellas , can somebody tell me why a nongame animal with such a destructive nature receive any better treatment than say a wood rat or a cockroach that most everybody has at one time or another poisoned or hired an exterminator to do it for you. Most all of these hogs that i am dealing with have proven to be very trap shy from previous trapping and loading a 250 plus lb. hog is a challenge at best for me . I was approached by a fella that bragged about how good his dogs where and if i would just let him in he would rid us of our problem. I agreed with the stipulation that no hogs left alive . that was the last I herd of him.
the other day I was traveling between Campti and Clarence and saw what i thought was a barrel in the ditch that moved, then it looked more like a baby Rhinoceros and all I could thing of was how many fawns has that thing eaten and how much destruction will he cause in the future. I am fed up!

^^^^^^ What he said
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22

Nobody said don't kill them but as someone else said, gut shooting intentionally is a dick move.
i guess you never poisoned a rat! either
Posted By: Huntaholic Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
I aint ever intentionally killed anything to make it suffer, with the exception of fodder worms, I HATE THOSE BASTARDS! If something needs killing I have ZERO issue taking on the task at hand, but making something suffer is just cruel and heartless.
You're the dumbass who came on a public forum asking for opinions when you could have just kept your little animal torture fantasies to yourself.

Posted By: Raferman Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
Only wish I could hear fire ants scream.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22

Nobody said don't kill them but as someone else said, gut shooting intentionally is a dick move.

Exactly.
You're the dumbass who came on a public forum asking for opinions when you could have just kept your little animal torture fantasies to yourself.

Originally Posted by Raferman

If any of you had bothered to read the OP i wasnt asking or even concerned about opinions gut shooting feral hogs ! i was asking about weaponry for the task at hand and the effects of my usage. I appreciate those of you who have dealt with a similar problem and your understanding.
And BlackHart I respect your opinion but you do need to get a life, I mean.....I mean anybody that has time to post close to 16k post on this forum cant have much of a life . You seam to have an opinion on most everything but have done little ! ( I checked out some of your post! ) I will start placing bait soon to start killing hogs after Archery season
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
Don't use. a 22-250.

They don't run off very often.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
https://texasfarmbureau.org/contraceptive-available-to-help-control-wild-pigs/

New direction for hog control. Pretty cool and good solution. Lots more to be done but a real good start.
Ive killed more hogs than most people in TN have ever seen with the exception of houndsmen and Ive NEVER left one or shot one through the guts intentionally. In fact I think Ive only ever lost ONE and that one was at 435 yards right at dark and I couldn't tell for sure which way he was facing. I THOUGHT I put it right behind his shoulder facing left. As it turns out he was facing right and I put it right in front of his ham in the flank, aka a gut shot. Even at that he didn't go 40 yards, it was just too dark to see him. We found him the next day.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
Ive killed more hogs than most people in TN have ever seen with the exception of houndsmen and Ive NEVER left one or shot one through the guts intentionally. In fact I think Ive only ever lost ONE and that one was at 435 yards right at dark and I couldn't tell for sure which way he was facing. I THOUGHT I put it right behind his shoulder facing left. As it turns out he was facing right and I put it right in front of his ham in the flank, aka a gut shot. Even at that he didn't go 40 yards, it was just too dark to see him. We found him the next day.

Did you retire or something? You went from quiet as Kaw-lija to posting regularly. Just wondering
Originally Posted by 19352012

Did you retire or something? You went from quiet as Kaw-lija to posting regularly. Just wondering

Didn't retire, registered, forgot my password, and never took the time to try to remember it lol. Boards I used to post on got too far up hiden bidens ass and decided it was time to find a new home on the net.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
One of the first hogs I ever saw get shot was gut shot while at a full gallop. 2.75" FFAR 17# HE detonated directly below his belly button as best I could tell. A) It didn't suffer. B) There weren't chitt left for the mess kit.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by 19352012

Didn't retire, registered, forgot my password, and never took the time to try to remember it lol. Boards I used to post on got too far up hiden bidens ass and decided it was time to find a new home on the net.

Awesome. Thanks for replying.

If any of you had bothered to read the OP i wasnt asking or even concerned about opinions gut shooting feral hogs ! i was asking about weaponry for the task at hand and the effects of my usage. I appreciate those of you who have dealt with a similar problem and your understanding.
And BlackHart I respect your opinion but you do need to get a life, I mean.....I mean anybody that has time to post close to 16k post on this forum cant have much of a life . You seam to have an opinion on most everything but have done little ! ( I checked out some of your post! ) I will start placing bait soon to start killing hogs after Archery season
Maybe you should check out some of the posters that have 3,4 and 5 times as many posts as me and tell them they need to get a life too. You can start with the one right below my last post ltppowell. LOL. But I guess maybe I haven't done much since I never intentionally gut shot anything in my life. I'll leave animal cruelty to the psychopaths.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
That hog you saw in the ditch was no more than 5 or 6 miles from me. The only thing I have been able to do is hold down the population until some more move into the void. With the end of deer season this month I'll get some new ones because all the hunters will quit baiting. I feed the deer and squirrels a little corn all year. I wouldn't expect hunters with dogs to be effective. They kill or catch a few but mostly scatter them. I agree with the others that purposely gut shooting to wound isn't right. My little 2WD Honda Recon can drag off a big hog. I gut shoot sometimes in that I shoot hogs facing away right under the tail but I'm using a .30-06 with a 180 grain bullet so it goes through the guts and past the diaphragm and usually takes the hog down right there.

Maybe you can take some action to stop your neighbor from importing trap shy hogs because once they've been trapped and maybe shot at in the daytime they are hard to kill or catch. If he keeps stocking more you are spinning your wheels trying to kill them. If it was me and I could prove it he would be explaining it to the judge.
Posted By: OGB Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
Put a 22 in their ear, drop them off in the offending neighbor's driveway.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
I think the problem with your theory is you're assuming they'll run off and die back on your neighbor's place. They could die on your place too, just out of sight.
I've had pretty good luck with trap shy hogs by shooting them at night over bait. Corn works as good as any. Elusive Wildlife Technologies makes a motion detector light called the Blind Sider but you need to get the green version. Red scares them off. Green might also but after a night or two they accept green. Then all you need to do is get them coming and be sure they can't come in downwind of you. The only issue I had was sometimes not being able to see my cross hairs but I solved that with a lighted reticle. If the hogs are coming in the wee hours and you don't like to stay up until 3AM just cut back on they bait so they have to beat the competition to it. You can have them coming at 8PM. A camera helps a lot in figuring out their schedule.

As I've indicated before you need to stop the import of new hogs whatever that takes.
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22

Same view in my state. You make an attempt to kill humanely but even a wounded hog has a good chance of doing the world a favor and dying of an infection later. Also the whole humane killing argument falls down with shotguns anyway. We BS on about correct shot placement and accountability for anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, but have no problem spraying a load of 00 buck at game or No.4 shot at birds. Cant say I have ever planned the humane path of every pellet out of a scattergun.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
^^^^^ yep, bunch of hypocritical mf'ers in this thread. Never figured out why a hog would deserve more "respect" than a quail, dove, or rabbit.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
[quote=stxhunter]Buzzards are on them in Burnet ten minutes after you shoot one. I’m talking hundreds of them. Rancher tries to calve about now, no black buzzards, a few Turkey bastards, that’s all.

How far north do buzzards go in the summer. Black buzzards didn’t show up until about ten years ago

Black vultures don’t move around much, they actually live in related social groups, they are heavier than turkey vultures and not as good at soaring without strong thermals. Given strong thermals they soar higher and faster than Turkey vultures. They are spreading north and increasing in many places, even in the South.

Right now they are found as far north as Southern NY/Southern New England and Southern PA across to S. Arkansas, SE Kansas and the Eastern 2/3,of Oklahoma and TX. Also parts of S.Arizona. Still absent from most of the West.

Turkey vultures, being lighter in weight with longer wings can get by in cooler climates, in summer they are found across N.America to S. Canada, retreat to a range much like that of black vulture in winter. Being more solitary and able to locate carrion by smell, they are better at surviving in desert areas where there are fewer animals per unit area to provide carrion.

Both species have benefitted enormously from the establishment of our road network.
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by mirage243
^^^^^ yep, bunch of hypocritical mf'ers in this thread. Never figured out why a hog would deserve more "respect" than a quail, dove, or rabbit.

got that right, wonder how my geese I gut shot when we had to start using steel shot. switching from lead to steel was not easy and ducks and geese got the raw end of the deal till you figured out the kill zone
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
got that right, wonder how my geese I gut shot when we had to start using steel shot

Bald eagles in some places along Coastal East Texas make a good living cleaning up the cripples after the goose hunters leave.

That being said, there’s a world of difference between that and intentionally crippling. YMMV.
Originally Posted by mirage243

got that right, wonder how my geese I gut shot when we had to start using steel shot. switching from lead to steel was not easy and ducks and geese got the raw end of the deal till you figured out the kill zone

Hunting ethics, or whatever else you want to call it.... personal rules of engagement for hunting, or whatever else we do, are just that. Personal.

We do what we do.

Whenever you impose your "ethics" on others, it usually won't turn out well, and you probably won't change any minds. But when you volunteer to enter the fray of public forum with what you do, then also be prepared to hear the opposing side.

If you aren't willing or prepared to hear the other side, then keep what you do to yourself.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22

[/quote]

Black vultures don’t move around much, they actually live in related social groups, they are heavier than turkey vultures and not as good at soaring without strong thermals. Given strong thermals they soar higher and faster than Turkey vultures. They are spreading north and increasing in many places, even in the South.

Right now they are found as far north as Southern NY/Southern New England and Southern PA across to S. Arkansas, SE Kansas and the Eastern 2/3,of Oklahoma and TX. Also parts of S.Arizona. Still absent from most of the West.

Both species have benefitted enormously from the establishment of our road network.
[/quote]

Saw 5 of the bastards just below my house, sitting on a limb by a roadkilled
deer. It's a busy state road, if it had been a better location 3 or 4 of them
would have succumbed to lead poisoning. Have heard they were around here,
probably have seen them on the wing and not knew it. This, was the first
time seeing them for certain.

Barry,
I gotta disagree, slightly.

Ethics are somewhat personal, following them absolutely is.
Things like baiting, using a light, shooting from vehicles even,
They are regional and personal.

But even coming from a place and people who did it, having done it
myself, killing "extra" game is never ethical. There may be good reasons
to do so, but it not ethical. Clear as dirt, I know.

One of the foundations of ethics though, even outside of hunting, is
to avoid causing unnecessary suffering of any creature.

The posts of shotgun shooting, or poisioning are BS arguments trying to
defend an indefensible position. As posted before, I can come up with
scenarios where I would do it. But it's very distasteful, and would be
one of those things you do out of necessity, unwillingly.
And dam sure don't talk about.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22

Same view in my state. You make an attempt to kill humanely but even a wounded hog has a good chance of doing the world a favor and dying of an infection later. Also the whole humane killing argument falls down with shotguns anyway. We BS on about correct shot placement and accountability for anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, but have no problem spraying a load of 00 buck at game or No.4 shot at birds. Cant say I have ever planned the humane path of every pellet out of a scattergun.

And there's never a bad hit with archery gear......on deer, elk, etc. I've never seen an outcry here on that subject.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
We BS on about correct shot placement and accountability for anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, but have no problem spraying a load of 00 buck at game or No.4 shot at birds.

We? You got a mouse in your pocket?
Posted By: ewc Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
Park Service has been doing that for years in the Smokey Mountains. Pay some kids just out of college to shoot them and leave them lay. Guns and nightvision legally in a federal Park? Hell yeah!!!
Originally Posted by ewc
Park Service has been doing that for years in the Smokey Mountains. Pay some kids just out of college to shoot them and leave them lay. Guns and nightvision legally in a federal Park? Hell yeah!!!
In March 2010 a Georgia game warden was accidently shot by being mistaken for a coyote. He was apparently prone and watching some hunters who were predator hunting using night vision or thermal imaging optics.

My neighbor mounted an ATN on his rifle and I could see hogs easily at 200+ yards but could not swear they were hogs. It had the side effect of messing up my night vision for several minutes. I stick with my motion detector light and bait and do not invite people of unknown ability to come shoot hogs.
Posted By: JPro Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
It seems like scanning with a thermal/IR device is better when using your non-dominant eye, so the dominant eye doesn't lose night vision. Shooting is righty, but I scan with my left eye to save the vision in the right.
Originally Posted by ewc
In March 2010 a Georgia game warden was accidently shot by being mistaken for a coyote. He was apparently prone and watching some hunters who were predator hunting using night vision or thermal imaging optics.

My neighbor mounted an ATN on his rifle and I could see hogs easily at 200+ yards but could not swear they were hogs. It had the side effect of messing up my night vision for several minutes. I stick with my motion detector light and bait and do not invite people of unknown ability to come shoot hogs.

Thermals and NV devices today have a brightness adjustment to dim the screen. That helps a lot, and keeping your other eye free from light contamination helps as well.

I keep my screens pretty dim.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22

We BS on about correct shot placement and accountability for anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, but have no problem spraying a load of 00 buck at game or No.4 shot at birds. Cant say I have ever planned the humane path of every pellet out of a scattergun.

This is just plain stupid. “You plan the humane path of the pellet” by knowing how your gun patterns and staying within that range. It’s a law of averages numbers thing. I shoot a lot of birds, I rarely have cripples when I do get one my dog nearly always runs it down.

But the point of this thread wasn’t about unintentionally making a bad shot with a shotgun. It was about intentionally gut shooting with a 22 to cause as slow and painful a death possible for someone to lazy to throw the dead hogs in a pit or other appropriate disposal sight.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
I dang sure don't plan on wounding.
Posted By: 450BM Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
I have groups of guys down all the time to my land, rules, kill everyone you see, if you can't use it we will dig a big hole and cover it up when done

Everyone? Dang, wouldn’t want to be around there when they are hunting! lol Or did you mean every one? :-)
Posted By: DBT Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
Aim for clean kills. Deliberately wounding an animal is the act of a sociopath.
Posted By: hanco Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22

Me too
Posted By: hanco Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
[quote=stxhunter]Buzzards are on them in Burnet ten minutes after you shoot one. I’m talking hundreds of them. Rancher tries to calve about now, no black buzzards, a few Turkey bastards, that’s all.

Turkey vultures, being lighter in weight with longer wings can get by in cooler climates, in summer they are found across N.America to S. Canada, retreat to a range much like that of black vulture in winter. Being more solitary and able to locate carrion by smell, they are better at surviving in desert areas where there are fewer animals per unit area to provide carrion.

Thank you, had no clue they were that widespread, nasty bastards, Turkey vultures probably ain’t no better, but just don’t like the black ones.
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
We BS on about correct shot placement and accountability for anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, but have no problem spraying a load of 00 buck at game or No.4 shot at birds.

I only understand some of your posts dan and that includes back when you were still on accurate reloading.
Posted By: las Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22
Intentionally gut shooting any animal is the mark of a perverted sadist.

Well, maybe with an RPG it's OK.... smile
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22
[mThank you, had no clue they were that widespread, nasty bastards, Turkey vultures probably ain’t no better, but just don’t like the black ones.

The general consensus seems to be that Turkey vultures ain’t near the problem to livestock that black vultures are.

Here in San Antonio black vultures have become a big problem at the zoo, perching around the open enclosures in large numbers. No animal depredations I’m aware of, prob’ly taking feed and eating feces.

Recently they’ve spread north enough to turn up around my sister’s heritage breed sheep operation in NY State, I’ve warned her, prob’ly gonna take an incident before she takes me seriously.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22

Me too

Yellow Jackets and Carpenter Bees...
Posted By: killerv Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by ewc

I remember when that happened, only a few miles from the house.

We have some hogs in the 500lb range, bump into them a couple times a year. Can be a little unnerving with a turkey gun in your hand. Nothing I can load and really haul off, especially by myself, and I dont want them laying dead in my food plot during deer season while they rot away although I know coyotes can make quick work of smaller ones. I have certainly contemplated shooting the real big ones in the gut and letting them run off. It wouldnt bother me one bit. I saw the top of a big tree shaking about 75 yards inside the woodline one morning off a powerline, few minutes later a cowsize hog walked out. They have no place in nature.
Posted By: viking Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22
Now cats I can understand that….
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22

I only understand some of your posts dan and that includes back when you were still on accurate reloading.

Good memory? Haven't been on AR in over a decade, closer to to two actually.

0+0 = 0 That's what 00 Buck is good for. -Hint-
#4 shot? Goose is dead.

Perhaps your knowledge of shotguns/patterns is deficient?

#3 buck rocks
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not gut shot.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by ewc

I remember when that happened, only a few miles from the house.

We have some hogs in the 500lb range, bump into them a couple times a year. Can be a little unnerving with a turkey gun in your hand. Nothing I can load and really haul off, especially by myself, and I dont want them laying dead in my food plot during deer season while they rot away although I know coyotes can make quick work of smaller ones. I have certainly contemplated shooting the real big ones in the gut and letting them run off. It wouldnt bother me one bit. I saw the top of a big tree shaking about 75 yards inside the woodline one morning off a powerline, few minutes later a cowsize hog walked out. They have no place in nature.

Gut shooting on purpose is sick. Period.

A turkey gun with a turkey load will stop a 500 pound pig easily.

Night. Day. Thermal. You still have to identify your target.

Only idiots would shoot at a shape.

I am down to thermal only for hogs. yeah it messes with your vision a bit. Nothing that I can't get used to. Many worse things in life than dealing with that, for all the positive trade offs thermal gives.
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by 450BM

Everyone? Dang, wouldn’t want to be around there when they are hunting! lol Or did you mean every one? :-)

everyone means hogs, everyone one if those dam things
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22

Why would you bury a dead hog?
I'd argue with this comment. Better be up close and personal and in the head. Not exactly where I want to be with a 500lb pig. Heck, I popped one in the ear with a 270 at 20yards, that was the maddest I've ever seen a boar hog. Still needed a follow up shot.

"A turkey gun with a turkey load will stop a 500 pound pig easily."

We've killed a handful with turkey loads in the 100-150lb range while chasing turkeys, we have found that if you pop one in the rib cage at 20yards or so, it will knock the air out of them and you can walk right up and finish them off. Easily on a 500lber, I doubt it.
I will say, since our hogs moved in, the amount of rattlesnakes we see has decreased tremendously.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22

Does Beaver have an award for Understatement of the Year? wink

I've seen 3-4 turkey vultures on one squashed Belding's ground squirrel on the roads around here. That's a lot of activity for a less than 1 lb critter dead on the road. But, no doubt it helps the vultures on their migration north in the spring. Last year with the drought, we had quite a few more hanging around all summer. Maybe they "knew" more critters were gonna die?
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22
I will say, since our hogs moved in, the amount of rattlesnakes we see has decreased tremendously.

That's not a good trade off imo.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22
I'd argue with this comment. Better be up close and personal and in the head. Not exactly where I want to be with a 500lb pig. Heck, I popped one in the ear with a 270 at 20yards, that was the maddest I've ever seen a boar hog. Still needed a follow up shot.

We've killed a handful with turkey loads in the 100-150lb range while chasing turkeys, we have found that if you pop one in the rib cage at 20yards or so, it will knock the air out of them and you can walk right up and finish them off. Easily on a 500lber, I doubt it.

I'll say it again. Easily. Up close it will kill. Of course some folks don't want to be close to pigs. I get it. I live with bears/moose etc... have been around pigs since little. A pig doesn't bother me any more than a bear would. No big deal really.

if a 270 in the head failed, then it was shot placement was way off, and or bullet choice sucked.

Whiled I've not shot a wild 500 pounder with a 22 I've shot quite a few between 250 and 275 ish and many less, with a sub sonic 22 in the brain. They flop.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Why would you bury a dead hog?

clean up

I Rath have the rattlesnakes than the hogs
Originally Posted by rost495

I'll say it again. Easily. Up close it will kill. Of course some folks don't want to be close to pigs. I get it. I live with bears/moose etc... have been around pigs since little. A pig doesn't bother me any more than a bear would. No big deal really.

if a 270 in the head failed, then it was shot placement was way off, and or bullet choice sucked.

Whiled I've not shot a wild 500 pounder with a 22 I've shot quite a few between 250 and 275 ish and many less, with a sub sonic 22 in the brain. They flop.

a 270 at 20 yards in the ear, unless you were using blanks it should have gone down
It did go down, but it wasnt quick like a gut shot! I'm being facetious.

I agree

I agree

but hogs will put a hurting on rattlesnakes and cotton mouths, there not even shy about it, watched a hog walk right up to a cotton mouth and eat it
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/20/22

I have noticed they have moved into south central Iowa. I didn't see them 2 years ago.
kwg
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Gut shooting hogs - 01/21/22

Good memory? Haven't been on AR in over a decade, closer to to two actually.

0+0 = 0 That's what 00 Buck is good for. -Hint-
#4 shot? Goose is dead.

Perhaps your knowledge of shotguns/patterns is deficient?

#3 buck rocks
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not gut shot.

Nice shot .I have shot hogs with 00 buck, though do prefer the 15 pellet magnum load. Some do keep running though, can be difficult in a bouncing vehicle. Check my driving to the hunt thread on the Aussie forum.

And #4 shot, goose is dead? Ah, I forgot, every shot downs the bird and there are no misses in internet land. Or where it misses, NO stray pellets ever still hit the bird. Its all in the technique I guess wink
© 24hourcampfire