Home
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Patton's Sidearms - 01/18/22
Posted By: rem141r Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/18/22
3.5" registered magnum. ultra rare even without the provenance. i had to settle for a 3.5" 27-2.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/18/22
Man, oh man!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/18/22
Ivory

Pearl is for pimps
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/18/22
Fascinating bit of history there. Thanks for posting that video. I first heard about Gen. Patton as a kid back in the 1950's. Couple of my dad's childhood buddies served under him. Even back then I heard how he carried his own personal gun.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
Ivory

Pearl is for pimps

Yep. Great line in the movie.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/18/22
One of the Smith and Wesson books shows the original order by Patton dated Sept 9, 1935, 3.5” barrel, McGiven bead, sighted for 15 yards dead center hold with S&W .357 Magnum ammunition, added the Wesson grip adapter.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by JB in SC
One of the Smith and Wesson books shows the original order by Patton dated Sept 9, 1935, 3.5” barrel, McGiven bead, sighted for 15 yards dead center hold with S&W .357 Magnum ammunition, added the Wesson grip adapter.

Serves the same purpose as the Tyler T-Grip Adapter, i.e., keeps the middle finger from riding up into that otherwise empty space, thus giving greater leverage for double action shooting.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/18/22
Some of his sidearms were on display at Ft Knox in the 70s
Posted By: scoony Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by JeffP
Some of his sidearms were on display at Ft Knox in the 70s

They are still there to include replicas that were used in the movie.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/19/22
Didn't Patton also carry a Colt .380?

I seem to recall something about that.
Here it is.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My mistake. Patton did carry a Colt .380. But the photo is from the George C. Scott movie.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Didn't Patton also carry a Colt .380?

I seem to recall something about that.

I believe one of those....

Hit the Google to confirm my thoughts, picked up some info.

Those 380s were issued to Generals. Not sure if it was automatic or
on request. Or, if it evolved. When they ran out of the 380s, there was
a similar 32. Generals could request to buy them on retirement.

In the 70s, they ran out of 32s.

They then had Rock Island (the government armory, not the Filipinos)
build a short barrel 1911 45. Which had a Government size grip.
I'm guessing it's where the (now) Officers Model came from.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Serves the same purpose as the Tyler T-Grip Adapter, i.e., keeps the middle finger from riding up into that otherwise empty space, thus giving greater leverage for double action shooting.

Similar purpose but the Wesson grip adapter is a three piece. It consisted of two panels that fit under the stocks with the third piece (rubber) that fit over the filler.

Last one I saw for sale was over $1000 and that was years ago.. They were only available prior to WW II. S&W made them for K frames too, I’ve seen a few on Outdoorsman’s.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/19/22

Similar purpose but the Wesson grip adapter is a three piece. It consisted of two panels that fit under the stocks with the third piece (rubber) that fit over the filler.

Last one I saw for sale was over $1000 and that was years ago.. They were only available prior to WW II. S&W made them for K frames too, I’ve seen a few on Outdoorsman’s.

You'd think it would be simple enough to manufacture. I wonder why no one did it after the patent expired.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/19/22
Posted By: TheKid Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/19/22

You'd think it would be simple enough to manufacture. I wonder why no one did it after the patent expired.

I believe the wood stocks had to be thinned to work with it as well. It wasn’t nearly as simple as a Tyler or Mershaun. And they never sold real well to begin with.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Patton's Sidearms - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by TheKid

I believe the wood stocks had to be thinned to work with it as well. It wasn’t nearly as simple as a Tyler or Mershaun. And they never sold real well to begin with.

My understanding is that the first 200 registered magnums were shipped with them, the Patton order showed an option of the Wesson grip attached or unattached, or not included. I have a photo of them somewhere, pretty elaborate for a grip adapter.
© 24hourcampfire