Home
Son was bitten by a coyote Tueday night. Coyote chased his girlfriend into the back of their truck and her screams brought the son running out to see what was going on. The Coyote turned on him and bit him on his lower left leg. He managed to grab it by the back of the neck and hold it down while a firearm was retrieved, and the coyote killed. Most of the event was captured by his outside security cameras.
The carcass was sent off by county animal control for testing, and the results came back just now, positive for rabies.
Son is getting the first post exposure shots now.
Not sure, but this may be the first documented case of an attack in N.C.

Y'all be careful out there!!
Hate to hear it, hope he's alright.

Mike
Yikes, I hope your son does fine with the shots!

I'll be reminding the family to be watchful and stay armed!
Wishing your son all the best.
Sad to hear this, wondering how the Yoter became sick.
Damn. Hope it turns out OK, good thing he had the balls and presence of mind to grab it and hold it down.
Good on him for for his bravery. Where in NC?
Where in N.C. did this happen?
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
Son was bitten by a coyote Tueday night. Coyote chased his girlfriend into the back of their truck and her screams brought the son running out to see what was going on. The Coyote turned on him and bit him on his lower left leg. He managed to grab it by the back of the neck and hold it down while a firearm was retrieved, and the coyote killed. Most of the event was captured by his outside security cameras.
The carcass was sent off by county animal control for testing, and the results came back just now, positive for rabies.
Son is getting the first post exposure shots now.
Not sure, but this may be the first documented case of an attack in N.C.

Y'all be careful out there!!

Where abouts are you in NC. We have quite a few coyotes right here in Mooresville.
Thanks guys. The 'boy' is pretty tough, lol. Been hunting, fishing, trapping, working rough jobs his whole life. Great dad to his daughter and stepson, raising them right. The granddaughter is the one that actually fetched her 22 and put the 'yote down.

We're in Iredell county, about 40 miles (too damn close) north of Charlotte
Glad your son got it to the testing folks. Best wishes for the shots working well for him.

And yes, having relatives in NC, I'm interested too in where your son is.
Dang man, you’re not 15 miles north of me. I’ll have to keep an eye out on the back yard.
Lady at the Mount Ulla post office just showed me a picture of a coyote just a bit off her back porch. A coyote with rabies is a big problem. I hope we aren’t in for a bad year with that stuff. Gary, I wish your son well with the treatment. I’m glad it wasn’t any worse than what it was. Thanks for letting us know about this.
Sounds like the shot series is in order, should all go well.

I saw a coyote last summer, small local airport, at high noon. The coyote didn’t show a care in the world. I told the management guy about it, don’t have the outcome. I do know, this coyote wasn’t right in the head.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Wishing your son all the best.
Sad to hear this, wondering how the Yoter became sick.
bats are the biggest victor.
I had the Shots when I was a kiddo. Not much fun back then.
Supposed to be a much easier ordeal, nowadays.
Our old family Dr told us the shots were 100 % effective.
Wilkeshunter, where are you located? If you know where Mt. Ulla is, you have to be pretty close to me, lol

Seriously, thanks everyone for the prayers and well wishes.
Wilkeshunter, where are you located? If you know where Mt. Ulla is, you have to be pretty close to me, lol

Hey Gary,

I’m in Mount Ulla off Hwy 801, about a mile from the Iredell line. How about yourself?

Mt Ulla isn’t exactly a destination location. For the uninformed it’s pronounced “Uhh’-luh”
Wishing a speedy recover for your son
Glad the outcome was no worse than it was Gary. I heard of another yote in the China Grove area that took a family cat from the backyard. People don't realize how many there are in our area. All you have to do is listen on a clear night when a siren goes off and they will fire up all around. I'm over by High Rock Lake and I hear them all the time, even had them on trail camera in the backyard.
Troutman. Go thru Mt. Ulla on the way to Blue Collar reloading, lol. Got friends all around Mt. Ulla / Bear Poplar / Cleveland.
Up here in the mountains I saw one in the yard last summer, but mostly I just hear them at night when they are on a kill or whatever they are yapping about.

About twenty years ago a pack of them hulled out a couple of my neighbors goats one night. They left one alone but it was completely freaked out. At the time we didn't even know coyotes were around and it took us a minute to figure what had jumped the chain link fence and attacked them.
I'm over by High Rock Lake and I hear them all the time, even had them on trail camera in the backyard.

Shot 2 in the back yard year before last. 22 mag and luckily they both made it into a wood lot surrounding our neighborhood.
gary, good going to your boy. put up that security cam footage.....
Troutman. Go thru Mt. Ulla on the way to Blue Collar reloading, lol. Got friends all around Mt. Ulla / Bear Poplar / Cleveland.

I know Brandon at Blue Collar Reloading pretty well. He is a big help to our 4-H shooting team. I wish the ol boy had some primers! Send me a PM sometime and we can do some shooting at Rowan Wildlife.
At least the yote didn't have covid.
Gary,

I just prayed for your son. He's a brave man to hold down a rabid coyote with his bare hands.
Isn't it good to know the Lord in times like this? I trust that he'll be fine. Please send him our regards.

HC
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Gary,

I just prayed for your son. He's a brave man to hold down a rabid coyote with his bare hands.
Isn't it good to know the Lord in times like this? I trust that he'll be fine. Please send him our regards.

HC

You just don’t miss any opportunity to shine your stupid light around, do you dipshit?

🦫
Gary, your boy is a stud !

What a crazy night for him and his gf.

🦫
Good presence of mind and guts on your sons part. That takes some balls to pin down a rabid coyote.
Best of Luck to your son!
Oh man! Best wishes for a good outcome. Quick thinking and reflexes to pin that sucker.
Just remember, where there’s one there could be other animals as well.
Good on your son, quick thinking to get on top of the situation so to speak.
Tell him to hang in there OP…..and Good Shoot!
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I had the Shots when I was a kiddo. Not much fun back then.
Supposed to be a much easier ordeal, nowadays.
Our old family Dr told us the shots were 100 % effective.

So did I; 13 years old, several shots in the stomach, burned like a hot poker.

Gary, I'm sure the boy will be alright, I lived.
© 24hourcampfire