Home
Posted By: jar Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
Saturday will be the 4th old ( life long ) friend I have helped bury this week. When you start burying your life long friends it is a real eye opener and gets all kinds of memories and emotions running thru your head. this getting old is not for puzzys ! I think I"ll get out the bottle and tip one for each of them , and take a walk down memory lane.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
jar,

Hate to hear that, may your friends rest in peace.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
I lost the majority of my friends while we were on our 20s

Motorcycle,car wrecks
Overdoses
Drowning while drunk
Four wheeler balls to the wall
Carbon monoxide

Just 2 of us left from our pack

Posted By: Motown Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
Sorry to hear that Jar. My buddy at work just buried his 39 year old wife this week. They have 3 kids and the oldest is only 11. Cancer got the best of that poor woman.
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
That sucks jar. Fortunately it's not your friends talking about you!
Posted By: fester Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by slumlord

Motorcycle,car wrecks
Overdoses
Drowning while drunk
Carbon monoxide

Ditto…..

Cancer. Drugs. Car wrecks. Prison.

Edit to add: Daniel Laird. Fire fighter. Died doing a training mission in Texas.
Rip skater.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
Sorry to hear that. I have been going to a lot more funerals than I used to.
Posted By: DMc Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
Very sorry to hear. Lost my best friend in high school a few weeks ago. We'd lost touch over the last dozen or so years. But the finality of a funeral is when you feel the genuine loss. Never more will you hear their laugh, or comebacks that you so cherished. This was someone that treasured your friendship as well. Life marches forward, but a part of us is left behind with each loss, but the sadness remains.
The brutal fact of the matter is that you come into the world with everything, pursue what you mistakenly think is important your whole life, and then ultately lose everything on the way out the door. Maybe this is why some say "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey."
Posted By: jar Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The brutal fact of the matter is that you come into the world with everything, pursue what you mistakenly think is important your whole life, and then ultately lose everything on the way out the door. Maybe this is why some say "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey."

how very true.
Originally Posted by fester

Motorcycle,car wrecks
Overdoses
Drowning while drunk
Carbon monoxide

Ditto…..

Cancer. Drugs. Car wrecks. Prison.

Jeebus.....
thanks to all , I have come to the conclusion that it is all about the journey. but man , momma or dear ole dad never brought up this part of it all . thanks again !
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Motorcycle,car wrecks
Overdoses
Drowning while drunk
Carbon monoxide

this is where I am there is just 2 of us left. if something happens to ole tom there will not be anyone around to substantiate all my wild azz stories we lived thru as kids ! in a manner of speakin we lived really fast and have lost a few along the way . but know they are dropping way to fast !!!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
jar,
I know what you're saying, you get around people that you don't have any history with, those type friends just aren't the same.

I've moved around a bit so haven't had been around any old school friends, many have passed on anyway.
Lost my younger brother 2-1/2 years ago he was the end of the line of people I have a long history with. Now I just think about the old days and old times and that's as far as it goes.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
Between Iraq, Afghanistan and other recent conflicts. The gunfights, IED blasts and helicopter crashes have claimed more than a few. Now it seems that suicide and car crashes are collecting the “survivors”

No one ever enjoys burying their friends. I am sorry for you losses. I hope they lived long, happy, and meaningful lives.
The brutal fact of the matter is that you come into the world with everything, pursue what you mistakenly think is important your whole life, and then ultimately lose everything on the way out the door. Maybe this is why some say "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey."

This is so point on Sir!
The year Pop turned 90 he said he had outlived all his friends. I didn't get it then, but I do now. About to the point it needs to be a really dry day to be a pallbearer anymore, some of these graveyards with mole runs is a young man's game, especially for the larger dearly departed...

Sorry for the loss of your friend jar.
Stolt from the innanet,

"No matter how long it lives, the Greatest Lion will eventually die miserably. That's the world! They may die young from injuries they sustained while defending their Pride. They may die old, enfeebled by age. At their Peak, they rule, chase other animals, catch, devour, gulp and leave their crumbs for hyenas. But age comes fast.

The old Lion can't hunt, can't kill or defend itself. It roams and roars until it runs out of luck. It will be cornered by the hyenas, nibbled at and eaten alive by them. They won't even let it die before it is dismembered.

Life is short. Power is ephemeral. I have seen it in lions. I have seen it in old people. Everyone who lives long enough will become very vulnerable at some point. Therefore, let us be humble. Help the sick, the weak, the vulnerable and most importantly never forget that we will leave the stage one day."

Sorry to hear of your friends passing/graduation.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
My condolences Jar.

My grandmother lived into her 90's and told me one day that the hardest part of growing older was burying all her friends.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
Lost for words.
Posted By: benchman Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
I'm just about 67. Starting to have more friends passing away due to age related stuff . Tough to lose a friend.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
The older you get, the more your friends drop by the wayside. Sad truth. Sorry for your loss.
[quote=. this getting old is not for puzzys !.[/quote]

That's a fact watching my parents go through everything they have was enough for me. Mom made it to 85 Dad is 90 and still doing a little better than getting by. He harvested a spike in November pretty amazing to see.

I've always been encouraged by some of the last documented words King David said to Solomon in 1 Kings 2-2 "I go the way of all the earth; be strong therefore and prove yourself a man"

You're right it's not for puzzys and I would tip one too.

Enjoy the day y'all
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by jar
Saturday will be the 4th old ( life long ) friend I have helped bury this week. When you start burying your life long friends it is a real eye opener and gets all kinds of memories and emotions running thru your head. this getting old is not for puzzys ! I think I"ll get out the bottle and tip one for each of them , and take a walk down memory lane.

You lost four this week - or did I misread.

My condolences but I am wondering what from ?
Jar: Sorry to hear about your losses of recent!
I abhor losing my good friends.
It is a fact of life though - YOU only live once and life is NOT infinite!
Enjoy the memories of your deceased friends - as do I.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Seafire Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
yea, we all have a beginning and we all have an end.. the only control we have, is what we do with the time in between those two points of our lives...

Celebrate their lives and existence and be greatful for their impacts and friendships in your life, instead of dwelling on their passing and your loss..

There is a heaven, and you will meet them there again...

if that idea is wrong... when you pass, it won't matter anyway then...

but I have a belief in God and the hereafter...

May peace be with you as you try and deal with the passing of your friends...

and condolences on your losses,....

At least in my case - It's been one helluva ride! Wouldn't have missed any of it.
At least, so far! smile
Too sad jar. May your friends soul rest in peace.
My condolences, jar; I'm there.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by jar

Yes sir I have lost 4 this week. they range from ages 59 to 79 years old. 1 to covid , 1 to cancer and 1 to heart attack, and 1 to old age. we just got home from the service . my friend had a 72 chevy truck him and is 2 sons refurbished 2 years ago that he was so very proud of. today we put his casket in the back of that truck and he took his last ride in it with about 15 of us in our old chevy trucks fallowing in parade to the cemetery . I think his boys did him proud. he was truly a good man ! rip Dennis Brown.
Posted By: Mike78 Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/22/22
Winter is tough on people. I can't imagine that many in such a short time frame.

I lost my 2 best friends by the time I was 25 and every living, blood relative (grandparents/parents, aunts/uncles, cousins and siblings) by the time I was 36. I tend to keep people at arms length anymore.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/24/22
Originally Posted by jar
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by jar

Yes sir I have lost 4 this week. they range from ages 59 to 79 years old. 1 to covid , 1 to cancer and 1 to heart attack, and 1 to old age. we just got home from the service . my friend had a 72 chevy truck him and is 2 sons refurbished 2 years ago that he was so very proud of. today we put his casket in the back of that truck and he took his last ride in it with about 15 of us in our old chevy trucks fallowing in parade to the cemetery . I think his boys did him proud. he was truly a good man ! rip Dennis Brown.

Jar- hope you are feeling support from us here. So very sorry for your losses and week. That send off in the truck is pricelss. I can only hope other think of me in sucha fitting tribute.

How is your health? I hope you are taking good care.
Posted By: jar Re: Saturday will be the 4th - 01/24/22
I am very grateful for all the good words of understanding , and kindness. it is nice to know that there is still people that can care . I personally am very fortunate to be in good health and have good wife, thoughtful kids and a healthy relationship with god to get thru these times. I have been self employed for more than 35 yrs and have a strong sence of confidence. but in these kind of times it is hard when your reminded about our mortality and just how fragile life truly is. It can get to a guy real fast. I do want to say a big thank you for all the support here on the fire. This is good place to hang and visit.
© 24hourcampfire