Home
Posted By: Hookset Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
When are they going to be available again?
Posted By: jimy Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
I have a bunch of them ! whistle
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
Not soon enough
Posted By: mikieb Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
Funny. The last time there was a primer shortage.... when it was over I got a brick that will last me for years and years.... As did most people I know.

So, I hadn't been buying any.... so, why the shortage now ??
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
primer production has been coopted by the government. They are buying billions of rounds for the coming fight against the citizens
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by Hookset

When manufacturers of loaded ammo decide to trickle some out.
They are making more money using them themselves for the most profit possible with their raw materials producing 9mm, 5.56 , 223 and 7.62 x51/ .308.
And the ever present 350 legend🥴🥴🥴
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
I lack for nothing when it comes to loading components, so I’m not desperate, angry, or panicky on the subject. I am beginning to wonder a bit why this is going on so long, and my best guess is that there’s a supply issue with the raw materials, and maybe a labor issue due to COVID factors, that combine with increased demand for ammo manufacturing as the producers of that catch up on backorders. Ammo does seem to be showing up online more, and primers available to handloaders were always the leftovers from ammo production, so maybe that supply line to individuals was always more fragile than we knew, so only a little extra demand is needed to strain it to the breaking point.

Was looking for 20ga target loads last night and also found a good bit of quality 9mm and mid-grade .22 target ammo at reasonable prices. I left those where they were. There are about a half-dozen or so places I check online now and I almost always find those two items somewhere. I don’t look locally because time and gas are an expense too, and in-store prices I have seen remain really high.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
I'd trade some for CCI 300's.......
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
Easy. Everyone stop buying anything for six months. Then all the shelves will get stocked up and prices will come down.

Probably never happen.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22

When they show up. I've seen them off and on for 2 years easily when everyone says primers are gone.

The dang internet helps kill you. Soon as they show some idiot posts it here and other places and they are gone.

I"m down to a 1000 or less of a few specific ones. But when they are available again I"ll get a few more and a few more cases of others. I urge you to do the same. I do realize people come to this situation by different methods.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
I haven’t purchased LR primers in years. I have 8K of 215/215M and 11K of 210/210M, I also have about 6K of SR mostly 7 1/2, it’s pistol primers and 209 that I’m running low on.
Posted By: pullit Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
you find them from time to time. If you really need them, you can't bargain hunt.
I don't need them at today's higher prices, but if I did I would pay it and move on
Posted By: 57springer Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by pullit
you find them from time to time. If you really need them, you can't bargain hunt.
I don't need them at today's higher prices, but if I did I would pay it and move on

For sure , found them at Midway two weeks ago . They were gone in less than an hour .
Posted By: blanket Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
as many as you want to buy are on gunbroker, by the scalpers that have caused the problem
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by blanket
as many as you want to buy are on gunbroker, by the scalpers that have caused the problem

Couldnt agree more. Until people stop paying dumb prices and feeding the azzholes that buy everything up to rape us all in prices, this wont stop
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by blanket

Couldnt agree more. Until people stop paying dumb prices and feeding the azzholes that buy everything up to rape us all in prices, this wont stop

Scalpers are NOT gathering up all the manufactured primers and selling them on GB.

Billions are produced annually, scalpers maybe sell a few thousand.

This will only stop, when the manufactures and our government want it to stop.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
well i have some for know but i think a lot of people thought trump would be re elected and there would not be an issue and then biden just fueled it more....i know that is my reason
Posted By: hanco Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
I have about 20,000, could stand a few more!!

Midway has some now and again
Posted By: 450BM Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by steve4102
I haven’t purchased LR primers in years. I have 8K of 215/215M and 11K of 210/210M, I also have about 6K of SR mostly 7 1/2, it’s pistol primers and 209 that I’m running low on.

If you were closer to me we could talk about a trade. I have about 19k of CCI spp’s and at least 10k 209’s. Would gladly trade for some large & small rifle and large pistol.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
primer production has been coopted by the government. They are buying billions of rounds for the coming fight against the citizens

Yes, they accomplish their dual goals of stockpiling & at the same time, denying ammo & primers to the citizens.

Win, win for them; lose, lose for us.

MM
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
Our local cabelas had them the other day for only $89/1000. I left them there. I got some small pistol and small rifle mags the other day for $5.99/100. At that price I'll buy now. I don't know if we'll ever see $4/100 again.

Bb
Posted By: rost495 Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
I really find it hard to believe that the primer folks are not running 24/7 as hard as they can. I'm a tin foil hat number one. But I dont' think govt, other than govt ammo contracts, controls any of this directly.

Or controls the supply chain behind the huge lies of covid that hit all of the supply chain.

Its not like we haven't seen this before. Kind of a panic cycle if you will
Posted By: Full3r Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
I thought I was doing good until I picked up a .300 win mag and realized that I had about 0 magnum large rifle primers. Need to find a brick of them and hope to find some at a gun show and swap some of what other sizes I have stashed
Posted By: blanket Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
about 100000 for sale on gunbroker.
Posted By: Gojoe Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
I believe that unfortunately, what you can get now might be it. If and when Russia goes into Ukraine . Governments around the world will put a bigger strain on the ammunition supply chain.

I've never hoped to be more wrong.

I've got six or seven hundred Winchester Large Rifle primers that I have no use for. If it weren't such a hassle to ship primers, I'd think of a price for them, and we could make a deal. But it's such a hassle, I don't think I'd want to even bother with it. What a PITA, all these idiotic regulations.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I've got six or seven hundred Winchester Large Rifle primers that I have no use for. If it weren't such a hassle to ship primers, I'd think of a price for them, and we could make a deal. But it's such a hassle, I don't think I'd want to even bother with it. What a PITA, all these idiotic regulations.

Consider just walking then into a lgs, you might be surprised at what you can trade them for.
One other thought. In the 80's during the last shortage. I was moonlighting at a family owned gunshop. Even with all the component shortages. You could buy shotgun shell without any problems. Not so this time around.
This time the shortage is different.
Posted By: Cigar Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
From what I get the ammunition manufacturers are running full bore.. As soon as they get all caught up then they will have primers.. The business model is ammo 1st then components.. Ammo has a higher profit margin... Looks like it will be 2 years......................
Originally Posted by Cigar
From what I get the ammunition manufacturers are running full bore.. .................

Right, and our emergency rooms are overflowing with the un-vaccinated .
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Looney bin!
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
From what I get the ammunition manufacturers are running full bore.. As soon as they get all caught up then they will have primers.. The business model is ammo 1st then components.. Ammo has a higher profit margin... Looks like it will be 2 years......................

Yup, but I think it'll be less than two years. I think by summer more will be available at a lower price. Availability is slowly improving.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
Primers? What are those?
Posted By: ihookem Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/22/22
I saw large rifle for $62 / 1,000 the other day. The guns store guy said sure but there is a 1,000 limit. I said I dont need any and have several bricks from the Obama years yet. He was surprised there was such a demand for reloading components . I said he came from a store that didnt do reloading supplies.
Originally Posted by Gojoe

Consider just walking then into a lgs, you might be surprised at what you can trade them for.

I will try that. Thanks.
Posted By: Hookset Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/23/22

Where in North Florida are you located? Shoot a PM if you prefer. I'm over in Jacksonville and will be travelling to the Tallahassee area in a couple of weeks. Depending on the drive, we may be able to work something out. Or just shoot me a text at Nine oh four, Five two five, 359O.
Posted By: J23 Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/23/22

I hear you there.

I have a bunch of oddball ammunition I have amassed over the years, and would love to help out some guys here who are looking for this or that, especially prior to last year's deer season, but shipping ammunition is such a headache, its not worth the hassle.
Posted By: 57springer Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/23/22
Originally Posted by Gojoe
I believe that unfortunately, what you can get now might be it. If and when Russia goes into Ukraine . Governments around the world will put a bigger strain on the ammunition supply chain.

I've never hoped to be more wrong.

I think you may be correct , certainly won"t help frown
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/23/22
Originally Posted by hanco
I have about 20,000, could stand a few more!!

Midway has some now and again

I don’t need that many. I’ll never live long enough to use them. Hasbeen
Posted By: Cigar Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/24/22
Originally Posted by tylerw02

Yup, but I think it'll be less than two years. I think by summer more will be available at a lower price. Availability is slowly improving.

You might be right.... I hope so....
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/24/22
SW had LRP here for $8.99/100. I passed. They have quite a bit of powder for $34-$40/lb. but you have to ask for it. They don’t even put it out anymore.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Large Rifle Primers - 01/24/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I lack for nothing when it comes to loading components, so I’m not desperate, angry, or panicky on the subject. I am beginning to wonder a bit why this is going on so long, and my best guess is that there’s a supply issue with the raw materials, and maybe a labor issue due to COVID factors, that combine with increased demand for ammo manufacturing as the producers of that catch up on backorders. Ammo does seem to be showing up online more, and primers available to handloaders were always the leftovers from ammo production, so maybe that supply line to individuals was always more fragile than we knew, so only a little extra demand is needed to strain it to the breaking point.

Was looking for 20ga target loads last night and also found a good bit of quality 9mm and mid-grade .22 target ammo at reasonable prices. I left those where they were. There are about a half-dozen or so places I check online now and I almost always find those two items somewhere. I don’t look locally because time and gas are an expense too, and in-store prices I have seen remain really high.

You left out the record amount of new gun owners now, but otherwise you are correct. Surprisingly there are still small shops out there that have a supply of reloading components. If one was wise enough, they would stop by gunshops on their way to their destinations. That requires no extra gas usage, just a small amount of time. Or when you are at wally world picking up groceries, or the little ace hardware no body thinks about. I have one locally that is also a grocery store. Works out damn well when I'm in there picking up a gallon of milk and other odds and ends. Last time I went to the coast, I hit a few gunshops along the way and whalla, what do you know I found a pristine rifle that is worth 3 times what I paid for it. That's how you score those deals and the funny thing is it only takes a few minutes out of your day.. The thread is titled "large rifle primers", so to get back on track: IF you know people, sometimes you get those by word of mouth. The last large rifle primers I bought were $30/brick. Those were also benchrest primers, which I use a lot of. That was also last year. An older gentleman who owns the property my boss leases, approached me about buying them. He had 3 bricks of the BR2'S, so I paid him his $90 and I was on my way. He also had a bunch of small rifle primers, but I passed since I have a ton. I told him there are guys looking for those big time right now and that he could probably sell them to the gunshops for more than $30/brick. I also bought a bunch of powder from him and he even gave me some stuff. I could have went in with a $1,000.00 and bought all he had and resold it for 5 times what I paid, but I didn't. He ended up finding others that could use the powder and primers and a lot of guys were happy and no one got shafted.. That's how we should be looking out for each other right now. I actually sold a brick of large rifle magnum primers to a buddy of mine. He recently got into handloading and was having a hell of a time finding primers and powder for his 7mm rem mag. When another buddy and I had a table at a small town gunshow, I pulled those primers out from under the table and handed them to my friend and said $40. I thought he was going to rip his back pocket pulling out his wallet.. Also, someone mentioned buying online. I've never had to resort to doing that with powder and primers, but I have bought a bunch of bullets that way. Hazmat fees on powder and primers sucks and is not worth it to me, as long as I have a good supply of primers, I don't see myself ever resorting to such nonsense...
© 24hourcampfire