Home
Posted By: rockinbbar Green Jays - 01/22/22
Had quite a few of them through here several times this winter.

Pretty neat birds. They like talking, too.... smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Anyone else seen any?
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
I’ve never seen one before. Beautiful bird, it almost looks like something tropical other than the Jay shaped head and beak.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I’ve never seen one before. Beautiful bird, it almost looks like something tropical other than the Jay shaped head and beak.

I think they are a more tropical bird. This is pretty far north to be seeing them.

Another bright spot this year is the lack of grackles. Not seen many of them. Or the brown head cowbirds either.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
new one on me. very nice
Posted By: Deans Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Hunted in Starr county couple of times in the 90's and saw them. Pretty birds.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Kenedy county place is full of em! 😊
Posted By: GringoCazador Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
When I lived in Kingsville, Tx in the late 70’s to early 80’s we had a to. Of them in town. Very pretty bird. Kinda on the mean side like a Mockingbird.
Posted By: poboy Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Real Co. must be too far north, or my bird-watching family would say so.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
We have a couple feeders but our winter birds are pretty boring: a couple types of sparrows, house finches, Oregon juncos, and magpies. This winter that's it. We don't even have the collared doves that we've had in past winters. A half dozen quail have wandered by a couple times but most of the time they're somewhere else.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Never have seen one before, thanks for posting
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I think they are a more tropical bird. This is pretty far north to be seeing them.

Another bright spot this year is the lack of grackles. Not seen many of them. Or the brown head cowbirds either.

Do they come up from MX, Barry? I've not seen them down here in the south of south.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Do they come up from MX, Barry? I've not seen them down here in the south of south.
yes, don't think the range is much farther north than south tx. Pretty cool birds had one land on my arrow and check me out while I was in the tree stand
Posted By: JeffA Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22

Range Map

[Linked Image from allaboutbirds.org]

Posted By: damnyankee308 Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Saw them for the fist time at Choke Canyon back in December while hunting. Deer weren’t moving so they were entertaining.

Really a pretty bird, very bright color in the sunlight.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
This time of year they're typically found only in southern TX and points south. Here's another map for comparison.
[Linked Image from sdakotabirds.com]
Posted By: ldholton Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Looks like a blue jay /parakeet love child
Posted By: Steve Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Cool looking bird.

Steller's and Scrub jays around here. Mainly Steller's.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
We must be too far North for them.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Never seen one or heard of them. Pretty interesting, and after seeing that map of their range I know why. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Only place I've ever seen them was in S. Tx. Interesting bird.
Wish we had chacalacas at that Kenedy county ranch. Just to see them. I know they are in the southern end of the county. But none up at our end.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have a couple feeders but our winter birds are pretty boring: a couple types of sparrows, house finches, Oregon juncos, and magpies. This winter that's it. We don't even have the collared doves that we've had in past winters. A half dozen quail have wandered by a couple times but most of the time they're somewhere else.

I hear from the quail experts a covey with less than six or so has no chance to make it through the winter.

If a few barn owls or bobcat finds them a covey of 20 wont make it through.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
A century ago, the species was restricted to the Rio Grande Valley. In the 1970s and ’80s, the northern edge of the range was near Kingsville, southwest of Corpus Christi. Since then, it has spread north and east, and today, it occurs near San Antonio — 225 miles north of the Rio Grande

LINK
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Wish we had chacalacas at that Kenedy county ranch. Just to see them. I know they are in the southern end of the county. But none up at our end.

How do they taste, KW?
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
When I lived in Kingsville, Tx in the late 70’s to early 80’s we had a to. Of them in town. Very pretty bird. Kinda on the mean side like a Mockingbird.

Strange that in last of the 60s i went to college in Kingsville and never saw them.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

How do they taste, KW?

I don’t know Jag. Some say close to pheasant. I don’t know if they are serious or pulling my leg. I just thought they would be cool to see.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Another bird I saw a few times and considered it out of it's known area were chukars.

Saw them out in west Texas sometimes. Not often.

Hell, I consider myself lucky to see a quail any more.
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
I enjoy watching them while I'm hunting. They give the dove hell.
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

Great photo, Elk!!!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
I have yellow warblers, house finches, dark-eyed juncos, some unidentifiable sparrows, chicadees, magpies, and a few scrub jays at my feeders this winter. The warblers mob my thistle sacks. Sadly, I have not seen any woodpeckers, pine siskins, or flickers at my suet feeder this year. Can't imagine why not; they were plentiful last year. Last year there were also little bunches of bushtits that pecked insect eggs from the dead branches of my neighbor's apricot tree, but none this year. I did see a huge flock of robins a while back, kind of surprising for birds that are normally loners.
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22

Great photo, Elk!!!

Thank you sir!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
First one I've seen Barry, very pretty bird.
Posted By: 3040Krag Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
We had a lot of green jays in the yard when we lived in Harlingen. We even had a few parrots around once in a while. The chacalacas would eat the dog's food if they could. i went out once and shot a chacalaca (there was a season on them). Interesting hunt with a muzzleloading, single barrel shotgun. Wife cooked it with dumplings as one would an older hen. Tough- even the dumplings were tough from just being in the pot with that bird! That was the extent of my chacalaca hunting.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Furthest north I’ve personally heard em is Floresville, about 30 miles south of San Antonio, and that was just one time.

They do occasionally show up in San Antonio, I would imagine a hard winter event like last year would knock them back a bit.
Posted By: elephantrider Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
What a beautiful bird. I've never seen a bird like this before.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
South Texas brush country is full of them.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Three kinds (pinyon, scrub, Stellar's) here, but not the green ones.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
That is a cool looking bird. Never saw one before.
Posted By: rufous Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
I have seen them in Honduras and Colombia South America.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by ltppowell
South Texas brush country is full of them.

That’s the only place I’ve ever seen him one.
Posted By: las Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
New one to me - gorgeous bird. We have Canada (Grey) i. e. "camp robbers" and Stellar Jays up here.

Posted By: local_dirt Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by JeffA

Range Map

[Linked Image from allaboutbirds.org]

Ahah. That's why I've never seen one. Cool looking birds, though.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Appears they've not made it to Oregon yet. Neat looking bird.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Green Jays - 01/22/22
Rockinbbar: Never seen one of those!
Great picture - thanks for sharing.
What part of the world are you "not in the city" in?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Green Jays - 01/23/22
VG, I'm south of San Antonio a good bit.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Green Jays - 01/23/22
One year hunting at STX's brother's lease down near CC I saw one while Rog' was away from where I was looking for something to shoot . When he came back I said, "I saw an amazing tropical looking bird I'd never seen before." He asked me to describe it and I explained that, well, it actually looked a lot like a bluejay, but green. He says, "it's probably a green jay". I laughed and was like, 'OK whatever', thinking he was pulling my leg. He wasn't. wink
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Green Jays - 01/23/22
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
One year hunting at STX's brother's lease down near CC I saw one while Rog' was away from where I was looking for something to shoot . When he came back I said, "I saw an amazing tropical looking bird I'd never seen before." He asked me to describe it and I explained that, well, it actually looked a lot like a bluejay, but green. He says, "it's probably a green jay". I laughed and was like, 'OK whatever', thinking he was pulling my leg. He wasn't. wink

Yes sir, the first one I ever saw I had the same thought, and yea Roger will pull your leg.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Green Jays - 01/23/22

Green Jay's are very common here. Rio7
Posted By: slumlord Re: Green Jays - 01/23/22
Never have seen one.
Posted By: DMc Re: Green Jays - 01/23/22
Frequent sightings in Harlingen TX, to Rio Grande City.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Green Jays - 01/23/22
Thanks for the neat photo and the informative thread. I thought that I had seen every sort of Jay in the US - including those noisy flocks of Pinyon Jays - but your Green Jay is totally new. Probably good reason - have not yet gotten down to visit Blue and only time I have been in your part of TX was to pilfer a golf cart.
Posted By: jimy Re: Green Jays - 01/23/22
Are the males and females similar in their markings or are the females a bit duller in color ?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Green Jays - 01/23/22
Originally Posted by jimy
Are the males and females similar in their markings or are the females a bit duller in color ?

they look almost alike but females are slightly smaller and duller and mature females are streaked on their breast,
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Green Jays - 01/23/22

Nice looking bird. There's some good fly tying material there.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Green Jays - 01/23/22
Had never seen or heard of one before, thanks for posting the pics. Beautiful bird. We have lots of blue jays here, but to my knowledge, that’s the only type around here.

We really enjoy seeing the stellars when we’re in CO or Canada. We also saw what I believe were pinyon jays when we were hiking in Escalante UT this year.
© 24hourcampfire