Home
I've heard mixed reviews but I've never used one. My old chrony quit working.
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
My Magnetospeed has a permanent home in my range bag. Easy to use and accurate, in all weather or sunlight conditions.
With the extra weight on the end of the barrel, what do they do to point of impact?
They will change your poi. Therefore they are great for chrono’ing loads but really can’t be used while shooting for groups. They are fast to set up and very easy to use.
The LabRadar is pricier. But I think it has all the advantages of the Magnetospeed without the disadvantages. You can chronograph loads and shoot for groups at the same time. I hardly ever see any other chronographs at my club now.
I have been using MagnetoSpeed for years and as other said it is very easy and simple to set up, you can hook it up to your cell and download data. It will change your poi so I only use it to get velocity once I have achieved good groups.
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
The LabRadar is pricier. But I think it has all the advantages of the Magnetospeed without the disadvantages. You can chronograph loads and shoot for groups at the same time. I hardly ever see any other chronographs at my club now.

This. Eventually I will bite the bullet and get a Labradar.
I was thinking about getting one after watching Johnny’s Reloading Bench use his. I get more serious about it every time I set up my Chrony. Problem is that it stills works, just a pia to set up.
Mine had a spot in my range bag as well. They do change POI, but I only use them for laid development. My bayonet broke and I called the company. After a couple of emails and a picture to them, I had a new one a week later. For $179, the Sporter does everything I need it to do.
This has been my experience :

Originally Posted by Timbermaster
They will change your poi. Therefore they are great for chrono’ing loads but really can’t be used while shooting for groups. They are fast to set up and very easy to use.
I've had a Magnetospeed for a while.

Advantages - compact, easy to set up, no light issues, good battery life.

Disadvantages - Not useful for most handguns, can affect POI a bit. The case that houses the battery, circuit boards, and display seems kind of flimsy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Yep, what MontanaMarine said. I'm sure a Lab Radar would be better if their price isn't prohibitive. I've been using my MagnetoSpeed for several years and would buy it again.

For that reason they are a little bit of a pain to use when working up accuracy loads. You're faced with choosing measuring muzzle velocity or accuracy but trying to do both can be a problem with some barrels.

Labradar is the way to go but it's $600 vs $180
If you do go labradar, get the trigger and a small usb power supply.....and the fake pelican from harbor freight fits it all super clean.
Wasn’t it Mule Deer that posted pics of using the magnetospeed mounted on shooting bench ahead of the barrel?
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Wasn’t it Mule Deer that posted pics of using the magnetospeed mounted on shooting bench ahead of the barrel?

I recall seeing that setup. I don't remember who was doing it.
I shot some of my best groups with the magneto installed. POA is irrelevant on the range when developing loads. Great gadget! When you got your hunting load dialed then take it off and fire a fire a few shots to zero. problem solved.
Wasn't it Dirtfarmer?
Both Dirtfarmer and I have rigged our Magnetospeeds on a front rest for bench shooting. It's easy and inexpensive to do.

I have found the Magnetospeed more versatile than the Labradar, which has limitations on what calibers and velocities it will read. The MS does not--or at least I haven't found any.
tag

Truth.

Also Truth.
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Also Truth.

Well, as stated below, not exactly.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Both Dirtfarmer and I have rigged our Magnetospeeds on a front rest for bench shooting. It's easy and inexpensive to do.

I have found the Magnetospeed more versatile than the Labradar, which has limitations on what calibers and velocities it will read. The MS does not--or at least I haven't found any.
I have/had an old Chrony that you set up on a tripod. Last time out I'm sure the fps was wrong. A friend has a Magnespeed that he is willing to give me, for the same reason here, it hangs on the barrel and I shoot for group when load development. But, the thought did cross my mind of rigging it to be self supported. I may have to consider this.

If you are wasting ammo just to see the speed, go for it, but I do double duty.
They make attachments that you can buy to put the Magneto speed on a carbon fiber rod that attaches to a pic rail on the foreend of your rifle. They work pretty good. That way you can shoot for accuracy without the Magneto speed being attached to your barrel.
https://www.wiserprecision.com/products/chrono-mount-pro
Thinking pretty hard about getting one of these.
According to the Midway website they don’t work with rimfires, but I’m primarily interested in documenting my handloads, and easy and quick to use sounds pretty good.
7mm
© 24hourcampfire