Home
Posted By: BigNate Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22
I've never have even considered coyotes a threat, but this young woman lost her life to coyotes.

I've always hunted about everything I could and have killed a pile of them, never crossed my mind that they could or would attack people.

Several were killed an tested. They were found to be healthy, well fed, and free of diseases.
When coyotes attack
Link not working.
Here ya go:

https://www.explore-mag.com/when-coyotes-attack
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22
I live in the suburbs of Seattle.
Greater Seattle has a population of 4 million people.
NEXTDOOR is a website for interacting, er arguing, with neighbors.
Right now they are arguing about coyote attacks.
90% democrat, so it is dems arguing with dems.

In the last 2 weeks, our backyard camera has recorded:
Rabbits
Squirrels
Raccoons
cats
dogs
deer
coyotes

I have a friend 20 miles from Seattle, and his backyard camera picks up bobcat and bear

I have a brother 900 miles from Seattle in Montana, and he hunts coyotes with an airplane and a shotgun.
I kill every POS coyote
That I can
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22
Originally Posted by 270cowboy
I kill every POS coyote
That I can

Amen
But we’ve taken their land.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I live in the suburbs of Seattle.
Greater Seattle has a population of 4 million people.
NEXTDOOR is a website for interacting, er arguing, with neighbors.
Right now they are arguing about coyote attacks.
90% democrat, so it is dems arguing with dems.

In the last 2 weeks, our backyard camera has recorded:
Rabbits
Squirrels
Raccoons
cats
dogs
deer
coyotes

I have a friend 20 miles from Seattle, and his backyard camera picks up bobcat and bear

I have a brother 900 miles from Seattle in Montana, and he hunts coyotes with an airplane and a shotgun.

I'm at the 250 mile marker and north 20....we shoot coyotes non stop. They're endless.
That was 2010. Time to forgive the coyotes. I have
There were a lot of words in the article but it avoided tried and true methods of keeping predators at bay:
1) Never let them feel comfortable around humans. They are killers.
2) Never assign human traits to them. They are lower animals with no conscience.
3) Never feel sorry for them. They will never feel sorry for you.

I’m sure there are more. As far as wolves and coyotes are concerned, if they are within range shootem. The only ones allowed to live should be the ones that do not intentionally come within shooting range of humans.
I had not seen this story, and until this one, had only heard one story of a human being attacked and killed. It was a young boy going out to put livestock in the barn . He didn't come back to the house. The sheriff called it inconclusive but most thought it was a pack of coyotes.

City people seem to think they have great understanding of all things in nature. Just ask them a question. Must have been the Disney influence.
Originally Posted by 19352012

Grampa Jas Olsen, Sr reporting
Some of those Northern Coyotes have been found to have wolf DNA. They have been found in the Eastern US also. They say they have different habits and calls than 100% coyotes.They tend to be bigger, too. There was a genetic study several years ago that found out the connection.
Originally Posted by reivertom
Some of those Northern Coyotes have been found to have wolf DNA. They have been found in the Eastern US also. They say they have different habits and calls than 100% coyotes.They tend to be bigger, too. There was a genetic study several years ago that found out the connection.

I weighed a South Carolina boy dog at 42 pounds. Have been told by a taxidermist he saw a 50 pounder from North Carolina.
Originally Posted by reivertom

Yup, most of the coyotes here where i live are the big boys. Multi colored as well. Yiu can see a 60lb coyote. Brush coyote or as thr game commission calls them, eastern coyote, have interbred with wolves. They are much bigger than a normal coyote.
Or perhaps coy-dogs.
I had 3 try to lure my dog out of the yard right after we moved into our new house. Most of the lots in the neighborhood were empty its not in city limits and I had a safe angle so grabbed my faux ti 223 ai. The one in closest saw me come out and took off running but made the mistake to turn and look back for a second about 300 yards out. I put a 75g amax though the top of his lungs.

You could see the daylight though the hole and the damn thing got back up and fought with the neighbors 2 pitbulls. In retrospect I should have shot the pitbulls too. I walk out to watch the show and took my 351pd 22 mag snubbing so neighbors wouldn't see the gun. I capped the coyote in the head with a gold dot and then loaded up and went to find the other coyotes.

Bb
Posted By: DMc Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22
Think I'll break out the Weems in memorandum of Taylor Mitchell.
Originally Posted by shootem
There were a lot of words in the article but it avoided tried and true methods of keeping predators at bay:
1) Never let them feel comfortable around humans. They are killers.
2) Never assign human traits to them. They are lower animals with no conscience.
3) Never feel sorry for them. They will never feel sorry for you.

Read it again, the Biologists quoted in the article make essentially the same points you do. When predators lose their fear of humans, bad things always happen.

Interesting observation they made; in areas where bears were hunted they personally had experienced no problems, but in National Parks where bears were not hunted they had to climb trees to avoid bears ransacking their camps more than once.

Black bears are now common around NY City and in NJ. I am aware of two fatalities there; an infant taken from a baby carriage at a day camp and a guy chased and killed in a park in Northeast NJ.

It sucks, I used to spend a lot of time in the woods in that area back in high school, now bears are common, local laws do not allow me to go armed, IIRC even bear spray is illegal, so if you do run into a bear, the bear holds all the cards.

Nate and Shootem, thanks for putting up this link.

I recall this horrific case, it was commented upon here.

The link does provide more specific details.

At the time it seemed people heard the young woman screaming but did nothing but call the Cops. I do not know the physical abilities or genders of the “middle-aged couple” who hurried away down the trail to get to a phone, but I am happy to note that four presumably young adults did rush to the source of the screaming and kept the two coyotes at bay.

Tragically the attack had been going on for twenty minutes by then, the girl had been partially consumed with tremendous blood loss. At least she lived to see her rescuers arrive and was with her mom when she passed.
Posted By: viking Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22
Terrible, that poor girl.

Was she a petite gal? If a 42 pound yote x2 can do that, imagine what wolfs are capable of.

My Rez dog weighs 42 pounds, I consider him an ankle bitter.
Originally Posted by SandBilly
But we’ve taken their land.
well... you live somewhere ,give yours back too to the coyotes
Several years ago, my son bought me a copy of Dan Flores’ Coyote America. Good book that tells all about them, their history, the Indian legends, and their relationship with modern folks. He gets a bit soft on them, has “forgiven” them for quite a while I suppose, but a major point he makes is that you can’t wipe them out because their natural response to pressure is to have more pups. I think the best we can do is to keep them “honest” by not allowing them to become complacent in our presence, in other words take a poke at them at every opportunity, so they always fear us.

The only ones I’ve seen in this area myself were while driving, either at night when I was still working, or on my way home. They’re all over suburban Northern Virginia. I’ve seen them in the town of Herndon, and once saw a really big one walking down the sidewalk in Ashburn like he owned the place, hunting housecats I suppose. My few attempts to call them in have so far failed, yielding only red foxes, which I find to be pretty stupid critters, pitiful really. I’ve “forgiven” the foxes because they’re no challenge at all, and stink to boot. When I run a camera in the yard, mostly what I catch are foxes, possums, and coons. No coyotes yet, but a few years ago my neighbor saw one three mornings in a row, trotting up the side of my yard. It’s not uncommon to hear them if I’m outside at night. There are a lot of people who walk along the river on the local WMA, often with small tasty dogs, and I’ve never heard of any attacks or even sightings, so the ones that live there must be pretty “honest”. Gonna get out soon and try to help them stay that way. Right now the snow is glazed over so badly just standing up is a challenge.
What a sad one. At least she was rescued and not completely killed by the coyote.

Whenever I come across them, I never missed out on them.
Posted By: Chisos Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I had 3 try to lure my dog out of the yard right after we moved into our new house. Most of the lots in the neighborhood were empty its not in city limits and I had a safe angle so grabbed my faux ti 223 ai. The one in closest saw me come out and took off running but made the mistake to turn and look back for a second about 300 yards out. I put a 75g amax though the top of his lungs.

You could see the daylight though the hole and the damn thing got back up and fought with the neighbors 2 pitbulls. In retrospect I should have shot the pitbulls too. I walk out to watch the show and took my 351pd 22 mag snubbing so neighbors wouldn't see the gun. I capped the coyote in the head with a gold dot and then loaded up and went to find the other coyotes.

Bb

Friend of mine just told me he had the same thing happen the other day. He and his dog were walking his place when he spotted 3 coyotes. One of the coyotes started milling around scratching dirt and making a commotion while the other two remained semi hidden. They were trying to make a meal out of Phideaux.
Before everyone gets all worked up about hating coyotes, remember that they eat lots of cats. So they aren't all bad.
Posted By: JHM Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22
I pull up to one of my hunting spots near a peanut field and spotted a Coyote standing at the edge just looking at me. I eased back to my truck to get my rifle but he slipped into the woods before I could get it out of the case. He was a big one and by the way we locked eyes I don’t think he was afraid of me.
I now carry my S&W M&P .40 with me everywhere I go on this property. Hunting or not.

I never pass up the opportunity to kill a coyote...pup or adult

On my desert exploring trips...my usual 'yote hardware is my Ruger American 300 BLK

If you never want to see a 'yote bring a long gun

These guys are a target of opportunity..Utah used to have Gov't trappers fly & aerial shoot 'yotes

They have since gone to a $50/head bounty systems by resident hunters

Yes they require you to jump hoops for your $50...I'll just hang 'em on a fence line or post....someone will take 'em

Coyotes are smart...you'll never kill em all...If they'd mind their own business and stick to a mouse/rabbit diet

That would be fine....but birthing livestock or wildlife babies the lead is flying in their direction

Pic...sure coyotes live in this area...but they are in prob more common in our backyards waiting for an easy meal such as a cat/small dog

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I am on a local forum and last week we got to discussing coyotes. And I said, "Shoot 'em on sight no questions asked." The Asheville Libs were horrified. One gal said, "If we become scared of coyotes, then we have been made fearful. If you think about harming a poor coyote, then you have been made violent. Let us not live lives of fear and violence. Let us live in harmony with the coyotes."
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I am on a local forum and last week we got to discussing coyotes. And I said, "Shoot 'em on sight no questions asked." The Asheville Libs were horrified. One gal said, "If we become scared of coyotes, then we have been made fearful. If you think about harming a poor coyote, then you have been made violent. Let us not live lives of fear and violence. Let us live in harmony with the coyotes."

this is prob the same dumm azz that voted for biden & is in the 28% approval of biden

Sure hope she is sterile & can not reproduce
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22

If you see 1 Coyote, there are 10 there, I kill more Coyotes than the average guy does and i never run out of Coyotes, killed one about 30 min. ago. i picked up a illegal women, from one of our deer blinds, that had bite marks on her legs from what she said was Lobo's she said the deer blind saved her life. that was a couple of years ago. if you see them you have to many of them, shoot them. Rio7
Before everyone gets all worked up about hating coyotes, remember that they eat lots of cats. So they aren't all bad.

They don’t kill near as many cats as they do smaller dogs because dogs are so much easier to catch…
That being said, if a predator of ANY type doesn’t run off at first sight of a human, it needs to be killed…I think everybody is aware that when bad behavior is tolerated, it only gets worse…
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

They don’t kill near as many cats as they do smaller dogs because dogs are so much easier to catch…
That being said, if a predator of ANY type doesn’t run off at first sight of a human, it needs to be killed…I think everybody is aware that when bad behavior is tolerated, it only gets worse…

Everybody except The Left…….
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Hard to be discreet when firing a 22magnum revolver. They might not have seen it but they dammed sure heard it.

Bout the logic I expected for someone considering to shoot a pet dog of a neighbor.
Most humans tend to think they’re at the top of the food chain, till they’re not.

That’s a sad story.
I truly believe all predators serves a purpose; even if that purpose is just to keep us on our toes. That includes coyotes. I have shot a bunch of them but I have left a bunch of them alone. When I see one out in the field, catching mice, I see him as a valuable asset. When I think there are getting to be too many or they are too brazen, I'll shoot a couple. Otherwise, they are just like the skunks badgers, cougars, weasels, marten, bears, and other predators. They are part of the ecology of our area.
Having said this, I also think it is important for one to be aware, there can be danger and one should be prepared. Bear spray, a walking stick, or, when possible, a pistol, will help keep you safe. A person needs to be able to look after themselves. This is even more true in settled areas where you don't have the option of shooting every thing you see.
During the summer months, when our campground is full, the coyotes, and other predators, have to learn, I'm a little less tolerant. Still, hearing the coyotes at night is part of the camping experience! GD
Posted By: g5m Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22

Note that that was 12+ years ago.

Are there more recent ones?

I can say that I've had well fed coyotes literally stroll down the street in front of my house and they weren't afraid at all. Also have had bobcats and javelina here.
Here is something I have noticed—wolves in Northwestern Ontario are much wilder than wolves in Minnesota and Wisconsin. And I think I know why. Wolves in NW Ontario are trapped and hunted regularly—they are really spooky.
A couple of my buddies in Wisconsin got in on the wolf hunt there—they where very successful—now these guys hunt coyotes also. I told them if the tree huggers would allow the season to be open for more than a season or two their success rate would plummet down to what they have with coyotes now.
Wolves in the boreal forest were never in any danger of extinction— not even with arial gunning or poison.

I didn’t read the link but the girl folk singer in New Brunswick that got killed I know was really small—didn’t even come close to hundred pounds.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22
I quit killing them decades ago, It's much more entertaining to just watch them especially in family groups.
IDK about eastern mixed dogs but I don't believe most of the BS I read about western coyotes. It's just that, BS!
Neat critters IMO..
Weird part is, we don't even hardly have coyotes here anymore. My area of colorado is turning into a wasteland...no deer, no elk, no coyotes, no rabbits...but we do have lions.... I used to drive to wyoming to call coyotes. You'd be lucky to call one a winter here.
What do you reckon the lions eat in Kolorado?
Posted By: Diesel Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/23/22
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Weird part is, we don't even hardly have coyotes here anymore. My area of colorado is turning into a wasteland...no deer, no elk, no coyotes, no rabbits...but we do have lions.... I used to drive to wyoming to call coyotes. You'd be lucky to call one a winter here.

That seems really odd. I have seen tons of coyotes in northern Colorado. Once saw a cow elk at night surrounded by six dogs. Headlights swept them as I was turning around near the Wyoming border. I would see a couple every day.

We have a lot of coyote contests for some good money every year. Coming up soon. Biggest wins the bucks. Lots come in at near 50 lbs. Hunt em with dogs or drives or trap em doesn't matter. Buddies use Mt. Curs

Spoken like a true bliss ninny.

Last time I lived in "harmony" with a coyote was when I was scouting for a special elk tag I'd pulled in east Idaho. My "instrument" was a Marlin 1894S .41 Magnum with a Sierra 210 grains jacketed hollow point bullet. At about 50 yards, it put a really quick stop to my "harmony" with El coyote. grin

When I lived in Laurel Canyon of Studio City, Calif., coyotes were all over the Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica Mountains, deserts, everywhere. Many a bunny hugging bliss ninny lost their little oopsie poopsie petsies and kitties to the prolific and fearless coyotes. Many of the idiots would put food out for the coyotes and then wonder where their little FiFi went.

The coyotes are still there and feeding well.

L.W.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Last time I lived in "harmony" with a coyote was when I was scouting for a special elk tag I'd pulled in east Idaho. My "instrument" was a Marlin 1894S .41 Magnum with a Sierra 210 grains jacketed hollow point bullet. At about 50 yards, it put a really quick stop to my "harmony" with El coyote. grin

When I lived in Laurel Canyon of Studio City, Calif., coyotes were all over the Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica Mountains, deserts, everywhere. Many a bunny hugging bliss ninny lost their little oopsie poopsie petsies and kitties to the prolific and fearless coyotes. Many of the idiots would put food out for the coyotes and then wonder where their little FiFi went.

L.W.

You lived in Laurel Canyon? Damn. Site of Mamas and Papas song "12:30" "Young girls are coming to the canyon, and in the morning I can see them walking..."
Place where Graham Nash lived with Joni Mitchell and she composed her album, "Ladies of the Canyon."
Graham's song "Our house, is a very very very fine house..." was in Laurel Canyon.
Graham had "two cats in the yard" I wonder if they were eaten by coyotes.

Did you rub elbows with any rock stars there in Laurel Canyon?

Originally Posted by kkahmann
Here is something I have noticed—wolves in Northwestern Ontario are much wilder than wolves in Minnesota and Wisconsin. And I think I know why. Wolves in NW Ontario are trapped and hunted regularly—they are really spooky.
A couple of my buddies in Wisconsin got in on the wolf hunt there—they where very successful—now these guys hunt coyotes also. I told them if the tree huggers would allow the season to be open for more than a season or two their success rate would plummet down to what they have with coyotes now.
Wolves in the boreal forest were never in any danger of extinction— not even with arial gunning or poison.

I didn’t read the link but the girl folk singer in New Brunswick that got killed I know was really small—didn’t even come close to hundred pounds.

I don't remember for sure when we quit paying a bounty on wolves, but it was close to the time they went on the ESL. The wolves we had then were a much warier, much, much more man shy animal than what we have now. When you saw one, which was pretty rare, it was in high gear and moving away as fast it it could go. Coyotes were also extremely man shy and much quieter than they are now. What you are saying is exactly right and the simple act of shooting at them is all it takes to instill proper respect.

People have no idea how many wolves are close to the Twin Cities and pass through the suburbs fairly often.

Originally Posted by slumlord

Grampa Jas Olsen, Sr reporting

LOL.

L.W.

You lived in Laurel Canyon? Damn. Site of Mamas and Papas song "12:30" "Young girls are coming to the canyon, and in the morning I can see them walking..."
Place where Graham Nash lived with Joni Mitchell and she composed her album, "Ladies of the Canyon."
Graham's song "Our house, is a very very very fine house..." was in Laurel Canyon.
Graham had "two cats in the yard" I wonder if they were eaten by coyotes.

Did you rub elbows with any rock stars there in Laurel Canyon?

There’s a documentary on Netflix about the Music that was created in Laurel Canyon in the 1960’s.

Coyotes are the ultimate adaptive survivor species. I’ve read articles that say they survive and thrive on the streets of NYC.
I recall a porn star by the name of Laurel Canyon.
SIMON KENTON 7 - " ... Did you rub elbows with any rock stars there in Laurel Canyon?"

Got to know Frank Zappa. He had an old house there in the Canyon. A bunch of those guys in his band and some others hung out there. Knew his brother who loved to fly fish for trout.

I attended a wild party for Janis Joplin once up in the Hollywood Hills in Laurel Canyon. I left about three in the morning of the first night. A friend of mine who was there said the party went on for three days and nights. One night was more than enough for me.

Different times back then for sure. wink

L.W.
You partied with Frank Zappa and Janis Joplin. Pretty good!
SIMON KENTON 7 - " ... Did you rub elbows with any rock stars there in Laurel Canyon?"

Got to know Frank Zappa. He had an old house there in the Canyon. A bunch of those guys in his band and some others hung out there. Knew his brother who loved to fly fish for trout.

I attended a wild party for Janis Joplin once up in the Hollywood Hills in Laurel Canyon. I left about three in the morning of the first night. A friend of mine who was there said the party went on for three days and nights. One night was more than enough for me.

L.W.

Dang LW. Bet that was quite the party !
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I attended a wild party for Janis Joplin once up in the Hollywood Hills in Laurel Canyon. I left about three in the morning of the first night. A friend of mine who was there said the party went on for three days and nights. One night was more than enough for me. smile

L.W.

Dang LW. Bet that was quite the party ! smile

It was an helluva party. Lots of groupies there, too. People drifting in and out. Lots of drugs. I was not into drugs so I passed on that. Scotch was my game. There was plenty of that there, too.

Long ago and far away. smile

L.W.
Leanwolf,
Not the cool factor of partying with Zappa, but another Laurel Canyon story. Back around 1980 I was a young guy in Pasadena and my buddy there who was a woodworker had a side business of doing tree work for folks. Stella Stevens was a regular. She lived in a little bungalow in LC and had a tiny kidney shaped pool surrounded by planters full of weed. She was actually very cool.. she'd be pruning away at her crops and then say "well fellas I'm going to the store there's beer in the fridge and you can make yourself a sandwich". I just looked her up after reading this thread to discover that she's now 83... Eesh...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I did see Zappa play once.. for the encore he had his then teenage son Dweezil come out and play a solo.
I have reservations on a vote kill
Posted By: cath8r Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/24/22
A woman was killed outside of a city in Nova Scotia Canada (I think) in 2011 or so. Hiking on a nature trail. I'll have to try and find it. Big deal in the news at the time.
Originally Posted by blanket

Speaking of Reservations....the Rez to the south recently saw a man get killed and partially eaten by dogs.

Tribal council didn't ask for public comment....they just went to killing stray and loose dogs.
White dogs no doubt.

Trumps fault.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/26/22
12 year old incident.

Did you hear that the Sioux ambushed and killed Custer and his command?
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Coyotes kill a young woman. - 01/26/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by blanket

Speaking of Reservations....the Rez to the south recently saw a man get killed and partially eaten by dogs.

Tribal council didn't ask for public comment....they just went to killing stray and loose dogs.

I have heard that in the territories north of 60, there is one day a year where any stray dog is shot by the Mounties.

In Northern Alberta, when closing down the provincial park late at night, driving through the nearby village, I was swarmed by 8-12 stray dogs nightly. Sure glad that I was in a pickup.
Originally Posted by AB2506
12 year old incident.

Yes as a matter of fact I did. Interesting that the Sioux used the same strategy as coyotes do. Maybe Custer shouldn't have been a prideful jackass.
12 year old incident.

Yes as a matter of fact I did. Interesting that the Sioux used the same strategy as coyotes do. Maybe Custer shouldn't have been a prideful jackass.
12 year old incident.

It was the battle of the greasy grass, yes.
© 24hourcampfire