Home
Posted By: gunchamp We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Woke up this morning and our golden of 8 years had passed away in her sleep. She was not sick and had no issues last night. Makes no sense. The girls and i are heartbroken. Been a memeber here long enough to lose 2 goldens. Doesnt get easier. She was the sweetest dog. Only wanted to make everyone happy. RIP Daisy
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
So so sorry for you.
Posted By: KFWA Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
only 8 years is horrible. I hate to read it

Posted By: bruinruin Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Damn, that's awful. Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry to heart that. Hope your daughters do okay with it...the unexpectedness makes it awful hard.

My Daisy was a yellow lab and truly was the best dog. Miss her still even after 9yrs.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
it is a death in the family when your dog dies.

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: ingwe Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Damn. So sorry to hear this. I lost my GSD at 8 years last spring. No apparent reason, he just went down and never got back up. Tests revealed nothing....I know how you feel.
Posted By: JHM Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry for your loss. We have a black lab that is knocking on heaven’s door. Knowing she is close doesn’t make it any easier.
Posted By: g5m Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
I, too, am sorry for your loss. Have lost too many over the years.
Posted By: Scout308 Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry about the loss of your family member. We lost our catahoula bulldog on Christmas eve.
Posted By: Raeford Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Damned dogs

So sorry for your loss!
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Man, I am so sorry for your loss, eight years is not enough, but were it ten, that would not be either, nor twelve. But eight is too short.
I guess I would take some comfort that she went peacefully, in her sleep, and more still that you were blessed with a wonderful dog, if only for those short years...
Posted By: JPro Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
That's dang tough to deal with, especially when it is sudden like that. Sounds like you guys were blessed by her and she was blessed by you.
Sincere Condolences. Losing a good dog (pet) is heartbreaking.
Posted By: HughW Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Very sorry to read this. Tough on everyone. All the best for today and going forward as the hole will be large.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Mike78 Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
I know I never want to put another bullet into another dog again and I'd welcome them going in their sleep, but not too soon.
So sorry for your loss.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
I am so sorry Gunchamp. I hope you and your family will use all of the wonderful memories she gave you to ease the pain of your loss.
Sorry for your loss. 8 years go by awfully quick with a good dog.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
RIP Daisy!
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: papalondog Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
One of the toughest times for sure. Sorry
Sorry to hear of this, for you and your family. Goldens sure do become part of the family. We have a Daisy too (Catahoula). Sincere condolences on your loss.
Our Golden lived to be 14 and it wasn't any easier when he went. At least he got to go to Alaska with us before he passed. Condolences.

Jim
Lost my GWP smooth coat (look like a GSP) at age eight in 2013. Started limping that spring. Spent $1k on him that summer including an exploratory shoulder surgery which found nothing. Twice that fall I had to carry him out of the field. He continued failing and finally seemed to beg for reprieve with those big dark eyes. Put him down in December. One of the hardest things I’ve had to do. He was a great dog.

My default guess is he had some cancer.

I know how you feel. God made dogs very special. My opinion for you and your girls, is get another, enjoy that one, and give it a good life.

Edit: between my wife’s, kids’ house dogs and my hunters, we now have five buried in the back yard.
Posted By: Diesel Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
So sorry Champ. Knowing what brought this on helps little. 8 Years old is not uncommon, but surely not enough. They are family. I hope your girls remember her as the good friend that I am sure she was.

One of our Goldens has her head on my lap while I type this. They are great dogs.

I feel your loss as we have suffered the void too many times.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Man, that's tough. Sorry to hear
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Woke up this morning and our golden of 8 years had passed away in her sleep. She was not sick and had no issues last night. Makes no sense. The girls and i are heartbroken. Been a memeber here long enough to lose 2 goldens. Doesnt get easier. She was the sweetest dog. Only wanted to make everyone happy. RIP Daisy

Sorry to hear this. Poison, perhaps?
Posted By: renegade50 Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry about your family dog.
It's never easy.
Never..

Many of us know what you went thru..
😔
So sad.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sincere condolences to your family.

Dogs are truly a best friend, it's just so difficult to deal with their relatively short lifespan.

I dread the day.....................

MM
Posted By: Huntz Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
I feel your pain.Luke my last Golden died at 8 years of Cancer.Goldens are really special dogs,but I love them all.
So sorry to hear about this, condolences
Posted By: ol_mike Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Very sad.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry to hear that, gunchamp, it's really tough. We also lost a Golden when she was about 8 yrs. old from an enlarged heart.
Posted By: chris_c Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
So sorry
Posted By: gunchamp Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Sorry for all your losses as well. Said it last time, but i dont know how we get another. So painful
Posted By: cra1948 Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Lost my Chessie recently, very similar. He had been living at my son's since we moved down here, well taken care of (son is a former military working dog handler), grandson was working him regularly (and getting to be a pretty good handler). Son came home from work one day and dog was dead in his kennel. Just 9 years old. Good, solid working dog, never any problems.

Currently, one of our little housedogs (papillions) is on his last legs....congestive heart problems. Good days and bad days. Never wanted to get sentimental about a dog, but this guy...
Posted By: 12344mag Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry you lost your pal.

Good Girl Daisy, good girl.
Posted By: kingston Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
When I lost my Joe, a friend told me that the reason it hurt so bad is because dogs love so much. They are truly special creatures who integrate with the best in us.

I'm sorry for your loss.

RIP Daisy.
Posted By: pete53 Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
very sorry to hear this and i have lost dogs too its painful ,but when my grandson`s and granddaughter`s grand ol dog had to be put down that was the hardest for me. take care i feel your pain
Posted By: RAS Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Few things suck more than losing your dog. Sorry to read this.
Posted By: poboy Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
R.I.P. Good Dog!!!
Posted By: saddlering Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Dam sorry for your loss! RIP Daisy
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Just damn....Very sorry for you losing Daisy

🦫
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Man's best friend....until they aren't. Then it really hurts. Crying as I type this with my 2 buddies, Tanner and Mason, next to me. I feel your pain.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry OP.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
In April of 2020 my yellow lab, Bella (named after my active duty interpreter in 2005), passed away after 14 years. It was hard and we thought we wouldn't get another. In May of 2021, my wife came across a kennel that had a black lab puppy with a white star on its chest for sale. I don't remember the reason; but, my wife took the white star as a sign from Bella that we needed to buy this dog. We did. We named him Baxter and he has been the best dog we've ever had.
Posted By: Brazos Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry for your loss.

Good girl Daisy, good girl...
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
My condolences, none of them are with us long enough.
Posted By: slumlord Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Hate to hear it.

One thing I do not trust is canned dog food, we only feed dry and left overs.
Posted By: deer1 Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
They are family and will always be missed.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry for your loss brother. It's like losing a family member. God put dogs here so that humans could have better lives. He just didn't make them live long enough.

Ron
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Lost my GR a year ago, just shy of 10 years. My 4th one. Miss him every day. Sorry to hear it.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Man that sucks. Sorry for your loss
Posted By: Bama_Ray Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Every time that I read a thread like this it hurts my heart. I think about one of the saddest days in my life, when I had to say goodbye to my lab. I'll never forget the look in her eyes when she took her last breath. Praying for you and your family.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
... every hand's a winner... and every hand's a loser... and the best that we can hope for is to die in our sleep...
Posted By: rong Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry to hear of this,as everyone has mentioned it sux.

While I know the time was short,I think I would rather ours go quietly rather than having to make the drive.
Posted By: Nollij Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry man, it's a crummy thing, period. My black lab is 8, and he's an institution around here. Dogs are the best.
Posted By: KEVIN_JAY Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Sorry for your loss brother. It's like losing a family member. God put dogs here so that humans could have better lives. He just didn't make them live long enough.

Ron

This is the truth.
I’m sorry for your loss. They are just like family.
Posted By: Aviator Re: We lost our best friend - 01/26/22
Sorry for your loss
Posted By: gunchamp Re: We lost our best friend - 01/27/22
Thank you guys for all the kind words
© 24hourcampfire