Home
Posted By: hanco Board games, anyone like them? - 01/27/22
I play with grandkids, but hate them. Wifey loves that crap, especially monopoly. She and her girlfriends play it for money at night when they rent a beach house for a week. They hoot-howl all fooking night drinking while they play.

Any of you all like board games???

I do like the Cajun card game boo-ray. Don’t know how you really spell it. 25 cent anti up can get expensive
I like to play Sorry

by myself
Originally Posted by slumlord
I like to play Sorry

by myself

That is one we play with grandkids.
I hate getting roped into playing cards, games, anything like that.

Hate it.

Not sure why.
Posted By: EdM Re: Board games, anyone like them? - 01/27/22
Nope. My wife's family enjoyed them and it killed me every time we got together.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Hate it.

Not sure why.

Finally learned to shut up and play even though I despise it.
I don't mind some of them. I hate word games.
I like Trivial Pursuit, Risk, Clue. I'll play some card games also.
Love playing rummy. Grew up playing cards around the table at Grandma’s every Saturday night. Usually Rook or spades.
Online Texas Hold 'Em use to be a lot of fun.
Online Texas Hold 'Em use to be a lot of fun.

I lost an entire paycheck on payday night playing poker with my foreman. Made me hate Poker.
I have a bunch in the basement taking up room. I'm sending a lot of them to the auction. I will keep a few good ones for the kids, but some down there haven't been touched.
We like playing Sequence after holiday dinner. Or cribbage, if that counts.
Pure torture for me. I absolutely hate board (bored) games, cards, arcade games, etc. Didn't even play games or with toys as a child. I suppose I am a stick in the mud. 🥴
Posted By: EdM Re: Board games, anyone like them? - 01/27/22
First trip down to meet my future in-laws, still in college central coast of California. This was at their fairly rustic cabin in the mountains of SoCal. When I arrived I think my future FIL gave me a test. "This old Hoover doesn't work". While they played games despised I fixed the Hoover then went on to calculus homework. "The kid is alright".... That said, they were great in-laws.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Love playing rummy. Grew up playing cards around the table at Grandma’s every Saturday night. Usually Rook or spades.

Myself and three other NCOs kept a nightly (when we could) Rummy game going for most of our 2003 deployment to Iraq. Naturally someone would have to skip a night on patrol or something but it kept us going and the scores racked up after a few months! Like spades too!
Originally Posted by hanco
I play with grandkids, but hate them. Wifey loves that crap, especially monopoly. She and her girlfriends play it for money at night when they rent a beach house for a week. They hoot-howl all fooking night drinking while they play.

Any of you all like board games???

Only 'board game' I play is Cribbage..
Game night once a week with friends. Don't like all board games some are good.
Played some 'meme' game over the holidays with a couple of friends, with added alcohol it was fairly good.
The only two I can endure are Scrabble and Amazing Labyrinth.
Cards, dice and dominoes.
I light my kerosene lamp and we play dice.
Euchre, Rook, pretty much any card game that takes a bit of skill and covert communications.

family likes Uno, Phase 10, few others. I'm too competitive. I'm going to win, or I'm not going to play.
I do not enjoy games, card, board, or anything really. That's all my inlaws like to do when they're together, and they all gather just for games, often.

I end up doing gun projects, reading a book, working in the yard, watching my little girls so the wife can play without distraction, just about anything is more enjoyable to me than joining in. I feel bad about it, but I groan inside when people try to get me to join, they've learned to just leave me alone about it. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one.
I’m not into them at all. Wife and kids love them so they are in the other room while me, the old curmudgeon, is watching TV or napping. Dave
Oh yeah, board games are my thing. Titan, Axis & Allies, World on Fire those are all excellent. I'll even slum Nuclear Annihilation Risk once in a while. They're great down at the hunting camp, as are cribbage and chess. Just don't expect to beat the guy with a doctorate in E.E. It ain't gonna happen.
I tolerate a few of them when the grandkids are over in order to entertain them and calm them down when they are wound up.... that's about it
I i don’t like monopoly . Other than that I like them!
Originally Posted by Raeford
Played some 'meme' game over the holidays with a couple of friends, with added alcohol it was fairly good.

Lol- yeah I joined to under similar circumstances. Not much of a player but an avid spectator
I like playing cards with Wifey, winning money from her. She don’t like to lose!

Hate it.

Not sure why.

I'm the same way. Wife grew up w/ that boring chidt. I can't stand it.

I do like the occasional "have friends over" and shake dice for money thing but not too often.
Before the internet, going way back, before TV, folks played card, and musicial instrments.

A very good family friend would shuffle cards on his knees like you would'nt believe.

We are spoiled.
Used to play a lot as a kid…it’s what people did in those day.

Last I can remember is Trivial Pursuit. My brother and his wife would come over and we’d play, men against women. We’d destroy them.

Company I worked for in the ‘80’s made the Monopoly game pieces for Parker Bros. Of Canada. I still have a few in my tool chest… a beaver, a Mounty aiming a pistol….don’t remember the rest.

I’m too old for that schitt now. At almost 74 I’d rather spend my evenings reloading, drinking whiskey and having sex. (Not all at once.)
Hanco: Used to - too busy now that i retired (25 years ago!).
Did enjoy Monopoly and Checkers.
Wife likes to play Cribbage but not me. She plays with our house guests often.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Gawd I hate puzzles

Help my daughter do a 500 piece taylor swift one last week. Stayed up till 3 am
I'm not a big game player but this past Thanksgiving the Grandkids wanted to play Mexican Dominos. It was a lot more fun than any other domino game I have ever played. It is a lot easier if you're sober. though and I wasn't.
Not really . I even hated them as a kid. Cards is another thing I find as boring as watching moss grow.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Played a lot of rummy with the wife and kids in the winter when we were on the prairie.

Trouble, Sorry, and Farmopoly too, but mostly rummy. I was excited when the kids were old enough to play euchre. But the wife hates it lol.

Hate it.

Not sure why.

Same here...except I'm a big enough ass hole to not get roped into schitt like that.
I don't like games either. Based on the responses, evidently people that enjoy hunting and fishing tend that way.
Originally Posted by RJY66
I don't like games either. Based on the responses, evidently people that enjoy hunting and fishing tend that way.

Lol

Uh not really. Just something else to bitch about.
Cards Against Humanity, Farkle, 3-14. All better when completed schit-house drunk.
Posted By: add Re: Board games, anyone like them? - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by reivertom
I have a bunch in the basement taking up room. I'm sending a lot of them to the auction.

Whoa whoa whoa...

You are sending to auction, old, cardboard, board games?
Posted By: add Re: Board games, anyone like them? - 01/28/22
Will there be a reserve as well?
Poker but it’s been awhile. Euchre but no one knows how to play and app ain’t the same. Wife makes most not fun. She’s 18 moves ahead and tells everyone else how to play so they’ll win making it not fun for any. Been undefeated at connect 4 since I beat the entire middle school but it’s not fun for anyone else so I’ve not played it in a decade or more.

Hate puzzles, rather take a sharp stick in the eye. Cards and some board games are manageable but mostly feel like it’s wasted effort on something intangible. Intrigued my Risk, Diplomacy, and Cat-whatever the war type games are but seem like they aren’t casual games. Once heard a radio personality explain Diplomacy weekend and he only survived with the help of an actual diplomat. Guy got called back to DC and radio guy was soon out of the game. Something like that might not be bad. Don’t mind chess but my mind isn’t as sharp as it could be.
These days I make Python games of little Asian kids getting eaten by ramen packets and what not. Sounds morbid but the kid was part of a youth group and loved ramen so was pretty funny. Other than that kids stuff like Yeti in the spaghetti or throw burrito with kids is about it.
Wifey and sister are playing bingo on ship.I hate that crap too!
Posted By: las Re: Board games, anyone like them? - 01/28/22
Well, there are more than a few out there that I'd enjoy watching them walk the plank. That's a board game..... smile
Originally Posted by slumlord
Gawd I hate puzzles

Help my daughter do a 500 piece taylor swift one last week. Stayed up till 3 am

Rene said your daughter went to bed at 9:00 after the puzzle was finished...

grin

I grew up playing whist, learned before I could hold a hand of cards.
Parents never ever played on same team. The community would have tournaments with half the hall playing whist and half playing pinochle.

Wife likes to get together with couples for weekend vacations and play board games. Exploding kittens or cards against humanity have been entertaining. We played Settlers of Catan with one couple until they divorced.

My wife grew up in a hippy family, lots of cooperation.

I grew up with four older brothers and a mother that would cheat if you weren’t looking, pass you extra cards if you missed a play and steal your Monopoly money if you were ever distracted, and would laugh when caught.

A few drinks makes redneck life, the board game, entertaining.
© 24hourcampfire