Home
wlos.com

Detectives: NC man killed when jack failed during catalytic converter theft attemp
by Annette WestonThursday, January 27th 2022
UserWay icon for accessibility widget

ZEBULON, Wake County — A North Carolina sheriff’s office is investigating the death of a man believed to have been killed when a jack malfunctioned while he was trying to steal a catalytic converter.

The Wake County Sheriff’s Office said Joshua Diehl, 50, was found pinned under a disabled car on Monday near Zebulon by a tow truck driver who had been sent to US 64 and Debnam Road to remove the car.

Investigators said they are not sure how long Diehl may have been under the car before he was found, but the owner of the vehicle said she had a flat tire Sunday night and called a friend to pick her up at about 10 p.m.

Sometime after the car’s owner was picked up, officials said Diehl discovered the disabled vehicle and began the process of stealing the valuable car part.

“Unfortunately, these types of thefts are on the rise,” Wake County Sheriff Gerald Baker said. “This is a national problem, partly due to the increased value of the precious metals in the part.”
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, catalytic converter thefts have increased since March of 2020, the start of the global pandemic, and those who become victims of these thefts face repair bills up to $3,000.

Wake County Investigators continue to determine if Diehl is connected to similar reports of catalytic converter thefts in the area.
I like to read about a good gotchya once in a while.
Won't be stealing anymore cats
Sounds like he reaped what he'd been sowing
Good, stupid should hurt.
Kersplat.
Feel sorry for the vehicle owner. They have to navigate the tricky waters of suing a dead person. Found the Road Scholar. It's his mugshot from an arrest for theft from way back in December.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Joshua Larry Diehl (photo courtesy Nash S.O.)
STAFF REPORTS•Fri, Dec 03, 2021
Since September 27, 2021, the Nash County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division has been investigating several Breaking or Entering and Larcenies of logging equipment from Asplundh Tree Experts LLC on South Old Franklin Road. In this case, the suspect stole approximately $30,000 worth of equipment from the business.

After months of investigation into this crime, Nash County Investigators were led to aresidence in the 12200 block of Anderson Rd, Spring Hope. Probable Cause was established that one of the residents of this house was involved in the crime, and that some of the stolen property was located at this residence.

A search warrant was obtained and executed at the residence. Investigators were able to recover numerous items that were stolen during this breaking or entering, including an Echo Weed Eater that was reported stolen by a business in Zebulon, NC in October.

Joshua Larry Diehl was arrested at the residence and has been charged with 7 counts of Felony Breaking or Entering a Motor Vehicle, Felony Larceny of Motor Vehicle Parts, Injure Property by Obtaining Nonferrous Metals, Possess Stolen Goods, and Possess Marijuana Up to ½ Ounce by the Nash County Sheriff’s Office.

Joshua Diehl received a $50,000 secured bond and was booked into the Nash County Detention Facility. Diehl has since made bond and been released.

— Nash County Sheriff's Department

That could be a really bad way to die. If there were just the right amount of force on your chest, it might take an hour to suffocate. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
That would give the bum time to think about his life decisions. Fug him. Edk
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
wlos.com

Detectives: NC man killed when jack failed during catalytic converter theft attemp
by Annette WestonThursday, January 27th 2022
UserWay icon for accessibility widget

ZEBULON, Wake County — A North Carolina sheriff’s office is investigating the death of a man believed to have been killed when a jack malfunctioned while he was trying to steal a catalytic converter.

The Wake County Sheriff’s Office said Joshua Diehl, 50, was found pinned under a disabled car on Monday near Zebulon by a tow truck driver who had been sent to US 64 and Debnam Road to remove the car.

Investigators said they are not sure how long Diehl may have been under the car before he was found, but the owner of the vehicle said she had a flat tire Sunday night and called a friend to pick her up at about 10 p.m.

Sometime after the car’s owner was picked up, officials said Diehl discovered the disabled vehicle and began the process of stealing the valuable car part.

“Unfortunately, these types of thefts are on the rise,” Wake County Sheriff Gerald Baker said. “This is a national problem, partly due to the increased value of the precious metals in the part.”
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, catalytic converter thefts have increased since March of 2020, the start of the global pandemic, and those who become victims of these thefts face repair bills up to $3,000.

Wake County Investigators continue to determine if Diehl is connected to similar reports of catalytic converter thefts in the area.

I ove such a happy ending!!

In Murderapolis a woman had hers stolen now for the THIRD TIME in just a couple months... The report said the dickhead got it off and was gone in less than 50 seconds...
Anybody recommend a number for a good extended warranty service?
who says harbor freight jack stands are bad?

I read that painting your CC with a heat resistant fluorescent paint would deter thefts. The recycling place would know it was stolen and the thief doesn't want to take the time to get the paint off.
They use a battery powered Sawzall. I have used a Sawzall quite a bit, in legal fashion doing house carpentry, and a Sawzall is a real badass tool .Get a metal cutting blade and you are off to the races!
Originally Posted by ERK
That would give the bum time to think about his life decisions. Fug him. Edk
Originally Posted by KFWA

I read that painting your CC with a heat resistant fluorescent paint would deter thefts. The recycling place would know it was stolen and the thief doesn't want to take the time to get the paint off.

Doubt it was on a jack stand.

Probably just a crappy floor jack that would creep down slowly...or it just slipped off.
Originally Posted by 19352012
Feel sorry for the vehicle owner. They have to navigate the tricky waters of suing a dead person. Found the Road Scholar. It's his mugshot from an arrest for theft from way back in December.

Mountain Men ain't gonna be the same without Eustace.

Looks like an upstanding pillar of society. I bet he was just going to surprise her by changing her tire.
Sometimes nature is much better at this business of justice than is our legal system.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Looks like an upstanding pillar of society. I bet he was just going to surprise her by changing her tire.

Hahaha!

Looks okay to me.
Originally Posted by KFWA

Hahaha.
One more dead dimocrap and 150 million to go.
2nd time in less than a month here in N.C. Let’s keep it going!!!!
Say you caught him in the act , how would you diehl with him? Let the jack down slow or fast?
Karma gets another one...just as it should be.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Sometimes nature is much better at this business of justice than is our legal system.

Yup. Natural consequence.
Maybe there was a puppy stuck in there.

Heartless bastards.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Big Loss to society!

I hear he was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Physics for his recent research on gravity. whistle whistle
human sized mouse trap.
No good deadbeat thief, but didn't deserve to be crushed to death by a car.
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

Naahhh

by an old truck instead.
How does one sell the cats? They’re obviously stolen.
🤷‍♀️
Originally Posted by ironbender
How does one sell the cats? They’re obviously stolen.
🤷‍♀️

I would imagine to an outfit that knows how to get the good stuff out and melt it down but I really have no idea.
Inbred fashion statement for sure....
Good. Got the MFER
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I like to read about a good gotchya once in a while.

Agreed!
Dat's cousin Josh! Oh lort, he ded. Dayum, he owed me 2 rocks, sum beach.
Originally Posted by reivertom
human sized mouse trap.

Lol
It'd be cool if it was found out that somebody came by and found him doing that and then lowered the jack on his ass laugh out loud
I believe he was kilt by a Prius.
They took around 40 from the work vehicles at the place I formerly worked. Cost a bunch of money to replace
Another criminal whos last words were,

I CAN'T BREATHE!!!!!!!
I CAN'T BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!!
I love a story with a happy ending.
Paul B.
He looks like one of those long-haired freaky people.
At least he wasn’t as lazy as most of the potheads around here—he still had a half lid in his stash.
Gotta be some mistake here. Old bearded white guy in a camo jacket….they don’t do that schitt.

schiddt happens

I’m guessing Meth Head.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
It'd be cool if it was found out that somebody came by and found him doing that and then lowered the jack on his ass laugh out loud

In a perfect world let it down just enough that he couldn’t get away and give him some time to think about it.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I’m guessing Meth Head.

prob so......ded now
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Originally Posted by atvalaska

In a perfect world let it down just enough that he couldn’t get away and give him some time to think about it.

Maybe do that and then go home, have a cup of coffee, and then call the police about a suspicious character hiding under a car...
They use a pawn shop jack and no wheel chocks. It's surprising that more don't die that way.
I love good news threads like these.
Decades ago on the Yakima Canyon Road I passed a truck stopped on a steep gravel shoulder. Something felt wrong so I turned around and went back. Guy was pinned under the hub while changing his tire and he was hanging onto the jack to keep it from sliding any more. I got a jack under it and him out pretty quick. He was a mess!

He had no good guess how long he had been stuck there, but his chest was completely black and blue. He pissed himself when the weight came off his chest.
Breaks my heart. …..😁
OOPS,One less thief.
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

I'm guessing you are joking.
Wonder how much time he had to think before he died??
Sometimes things have a way of working out. Crime is a dangerous profession. Several years ago one of our local copper thieves was stripping the wire out of a shut down lumber mill when he cut into some high voltage and was DRT.
Quite a few thieves have died trying to steal wiring. I bet a lot more have got a good shock but escaped alive.
© 24hourcampfire