Home
Posted By: 338Rem Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Favorite food to feed. Thanks.
Posted By: skeen Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by 338Rem
Favorite food to feed. Thanks.

I don't know about favorite, but 4 bags of this get delivered to the house every month and the 3 Sheperds chow it down, no problems.

Hill's Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Chicken Recipe
I alternate between raw pigtails and raw whole chicken legs as the main staple, bone-in, of course. I supplement that with a small piece of beef liver every day, a few frozen berries (a variety of them), and a fish oil gelcap. Several times a week, they get one or two raw eggs, too. Occasionally, when I can find them, I feed them a raw beef kidney in place of the pork or chicken, for some variety.

Been doing this for many years. My oldest dog will be 12 this spring, and still looks and behaves like a dog in her prime. Both my dogs have pearly white teeth, with no plaque buildup, healthy gums, sweet breath, and have never needed a teeth cleaning.

Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
It's a big yellow bag that says "premium" Dog Food.

It comes from the farm supply store and costs 23 bucks for 40 pounds.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Watch out for grain-free dog foods that use legumes.

A report from the FDA finding a correlation between grain-free dog food and Dilated Cardio Myopathy in dogs:

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...-diets-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy

A report from the Tufts Veterinary School that reports a link between legumes and DCM. Most dog foods that are grain-free use legumes instead of grains as the filler:

https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2021/09/diet-associated-dcm-research-update/

I lost a great hunting dog, Gretel, at 7-years old due to this legume/DCM problem. It is not the presence or lack of grain that is the problem, it is the presence of legumes that interfere with the uptake of taurine, which is essential for canine heart health. No one knew about this problem when I choose the dog's food in 2015.

Gretel was an incredible athlete, and a rockstar in the uplands and in the water. I fed her "Orijen" from puppy-hood to the DCM diagnosis at 7-years old, as diagnosed by a canine cardiologist by echo cardiogram. Part of the danger of diet-based DCM, is that there are usually little-to-no symptoms until the DCM is well advanced.

I immediately switched to a non-grain-free food, but the damage was done and it was too late for Gretel to recover. The irony is, I chose the food because it had lots of high quality animal protein in it, I could care less about the grain-free aspect (which is just marketing BS, IMHO). Not all dogs are susceptible to this, but if it is, you'll be very sorry if you feed it a food with legumes in it, and you won't know it is a problem until it is too late.

The cardiologist recommended not relying on only one food for the dog, but, instead, rotating between two or three high quality brands. When one bag runs out, replace it with a second brand, and when that one runs out, replace it with a third brand. Repeat that cycle throughout the dog's life. Super easy to do, and any unknown problems with one formulation are mitigated by the other formulations.

Gretel at 4-years old:

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Gretel's first goose retrieve:

[img]https://photos.smugmug.com/201...retel%20%20%2811-15-19%29-1920.mp4[/img]

No need to believe me, a company's marketing claims, or self-appointed internet gurus because there's plenty of research-based info available from respected vet schools on the subject.

Grains have no place in the diet of a canid. If there's a problem with "grain-free" processed dog foods, it's because the ingredients they use do not match a natural canid diet.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Chicken based food jacked up my Australian Sheppard eyes.

We switched to beef and lamb (switch between the two)... and his eyes cleared up in a few weeks.

YMMV
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22

Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe, costs a bit more, but the dogs love it and appear to thrive on it.
Easy to clean up after them in the yard too.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
It's a grain free old dog formula from Tractor Supply for Dillon.

The Vet pets him and always tells us not to change a thing we do with him.

He has the softest coat of any Boxer I've ever met.
Don't know if that's food, him, or both.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
I use Eagle Pack dog food. I buy it online since I don't think it's available locally.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/eagle-pack-dog-food/
Posted By: redjones Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Ground deer meat with frozen vegetables mixed in.

Greg
Posted By: Raeford Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Naturals[Diamond]
Chicken/Rice, supplemented with ground venison.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Last night my mutt slobbered down a 14 oz Wagyu Ribeye and a butter soaked baked Sweet Potato followed by 4 Milkbone Flavor Snacks for dessert(1 of each flavor).

Oddly enough, as much as he enjoys a well cooked steak his true preference is a toss up between Lasagna and Baked Chicken. A whole chicken will last him about 2 1/2 to 3 days.

His regular dog food is cheap azzed Pedigree Small Bites which he consumes a consistent amount of daily along with whatever I'm cooking for dinner.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Purina Naturals. 53$, and tax for 40 pounds.
Posted By: EdM Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Iams Puppy Food For Large Dogs.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Fromm Gold adult. Good stuff. Doc River is an 85# HiBred Labrahound, 8 yo. Has been on the Fromm since he came home at 9 mo. Good pooch.

https://www.frommfamily.com/products/dog/gold/dry/#adult-gold
Posted By: Raeford Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by JeffA
Last night my mutt slobbered down a 14 oz Wagyu Ribeye and a butter soaked baked Sweet Potato followed by 4 Milkbone Flavor Snacks for dessert(1 of each flavor).

Oddly enough, as much as he enjoys a well cooked steak his true preference is a toss up between Lasagna and Baked Chicken. A whole chicken will last him about 2 1/2 to 3 days.

His regular dog food is cheap azzed Pedigree Small Bites which he consumes a consistent daily amount of daily along with whatever I'm cooking for dinner.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful pic[and dog].
Originally Posted by redjones
Ground deer meat with frozen vegetables mixed in.

Greg

Bones, too, I hope.

Posted By: hillestadj Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Fromm
Posted By: battue Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Purina laced with chicken or beef broth...If I want to bulk them up in combination with exercise then it gets milk...Contrary to some reports milk causes them no problems. During hard hunting, will add eggs. Additional fat if it is cold out.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Purina Pro Plan salmon, Blue Buffalo salmon/chicken canned dog food plus small amounts of elk and venison for my 8 1/2 year old GSP. She can still quail hunt all day.

I do give her Next Level joint fluid and it seems to work.
The Truth About Your Dog's Food

Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Dogs shouldnt eat better than us.
Most of our plant based foods are based on what is easy and
cheap to grow on the industrial scale.

With even those being genetically modified to be grown easier and
cheaper than the varieties of a century ago.

Our pork and chicken is likewise based on breeds that are most feed
and time efficient to produce.
Posted By: blanket Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/loyall-adult-maintenance This is what we feed
Posted By: KFWA Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
for me its Costco or Tractor Supply brands
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Running this in the 30/25 formula for Izzy !

https://www.inukshukpro.com/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

She's a solid ball of muscle !
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Costco, lamb & rice.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Purina dog chow.
You people are monsters.
Posted By: 16penny Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Purina large breed puppy kibble is down all the time and they get chicken breast and rice once a day
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Purina a dog chow.

My wife and I fed our pooch Purina Dog Chow for years. We did throw in leftovers from our dinner table at times. He was healthy until near the end. He died when he was a bit over 17 years old. If I were to get another dog, I'd probably go back with Purina.

FWIW.

L.W.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Nutro
Posted By: ironbender Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by ironbender
Purina a dog chow.

My wife and I fed our pooch Purina Dog Chow for years. We did throw in leftovers from our dinner table at times. He was healthy until near the end. He died when he was a bit over 17 years old. If I were to get another dog, I'd probably go back with Purina.

FWIW.

L.W.

Same experience, lw. Dogs live long, healthy, active lives. Of course they get scraps too.
Never had a food related health issue. But, we have pet dogs, not wild wolves.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
What food would you guys recommend for a little old dog that has yeasty skin issues?
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by KFWA

But what does your dog eat?
My lab had problems, urine crystals and peeing uncontrollably, with high protein "performance" dog foods. The vet said the food is "too hot."

Switched him to Hills science diet adult, which has 23-24% protein instead of 30% and it fixed it.

He's 75lbs of muscle.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
What food would you guys recommend for a little old dog that has yeasty skin issues?

.22lr !

smile
Until then Paul....lol
Thought it was a bit mean spirited, so edited it Mate !

Good question for your vet !
Posted By: akasparky Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22

Try a heavily buttered nuked sweet potato a few times a week and see how it goes.
Posted By: skeen Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by muleshoe

Last we talked to the vet they wanted to push Apoquel(sp?).

Heard some bad things not to mention it made the dog extremely lethargic.
Posted By: akasparky Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Just say no to drugs
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Just a little dog, might be easy to make it food. Cheap raw protein, some veg, maybe cooked rice? Bet there’s a ton of recipes on the Googler.

Turn the wife loose on the grinder then quick wrap into 1# pucks to freeze. 20-30 pounds would likely last a couple/few months for an ankle biter.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
I won't have a dog that won't eat Purina Dog Chow.

Raw eggs ??
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Chicken based food jacked up my Australian Sheppard eyes.

We switched to beef and lamb (switch between the two)... and his eyes cleared up in a few weeks.

YMMV

My vet told me that out of all the foods available to dogs Chicken in one way or another will lead to allergies for the most part.
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Fromm

+1
Posted By: JeffP Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Dr Tims
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Raw eggs ??

I had a friend in AK that bred, showed, competed with West Highland White terriers. Only thing she fed them was cooked chicken, broccoli, and some rice as I recall. Along with a powdered vit/min supplement as I recall.

The rice might be an issue if there's a yeast problem Sam, but her dogs were pretty healthy and strong for small dogs. I'd check what your feeding and see if there's much in the way of corn or other grain for the yeast to feed on.

We feed the whippets ProPlan, except the older one gets some Hills K/D kidney diet food. She's 13 now and test before last showed kidney issues. Last test after feeding the special diet showed improvement. Another couple of months and she gets tested again.
Posted By: duke61 Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Low sodium turkey hot dogs, supplemented by some dry dog food and during hunting season by elk, deer and antelope liver, heart and kidneys. been doing this for 30 years, all dogs are solid muscle and healthy.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Back in the day I'd give Roxxi the lab cheese when ma & pa inlaw were coming over. Roxxi got the nasty gas for their visit. Stinker!

Roxxi was a very good lab, I miss her. I'm divorced now.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by muleshoe

Ours wouldn't eat Costco unless starving but like the high protein from Tractor Supply real well, and I have never had dogs that looked healthier that I recall offhand.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I alternate between raw pigtails and raw whole chicken legs as the main staple, bone-in, of course. I supplement that with a small piece of beef liver every day, a few frozen berries (a variety of them), and a fish oil gelcap. Been doing this for many years. My oldest dog will be 12 this spring, and still looks and behaves like a dog in her prime. Both my dogs have pearly white teeth, with no plaque buildup, healthy gums, sweet breath, and have never needed a teeth cleaning.

Occasionally, when I can find them, I feed them a raw beef kidney, for some variety.

Are you serious? I used to feed my mutt chicken bones. Then my vet told me that the sharp end of a broken bone can perforate the dog's intestine, and the dog needs life saving surgery for $1800. No more bones for my dog.

To be fair, prior to that my dog ate all the bones of 14 chickens, and never got sick.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Nutrisource Performance for my 2 GSP's.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
That pretty much pertains to cooked chicken and rib bones, not so much raw, uncooked.
Posted By: colodog Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
4Health Lamb and Rice from Tractor supply
Posted By: Diesel Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Another Purina Dog Chow. Before we were breeders, we had a Golden that lived to 16 on Kibbles and bits. Never had a health issue, but it may just have been his genes .Who knows.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
There is some kind of problem with so many dogs getting cancers. Diet must have a big part in why. Probably so with humans too.
Posted By: roof Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
I feed my seven month old yellow lab Aspen, half venison or raw chicken thighs and half tractor supply 4 health grain free puppy chow.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Our soon to be 7 yo lab/tasmanian devil mix, eats anything put in front of her. Mostly Purina dog chow, often mixed with Purina lamb and rice. Now and then some beef chow. And some table scraps, but not much. She loves taters, water melon, cantalope and most veggies. Will kill for bacon.

One stepson has lost two Golden Retrievers over the past eight years, to some form of cancer, feeding them expensive and highly recommended dog foods. One only lasted three years.

All of our labs have made it to a bit past 12, so far. And my beagle made it past 15, on Purina and table scraps. Venison turns our dogs into self propelled fart machines, so they've been cut off.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
My old dog lived to be 19 and ate nothing but Ole Roy, cat shìt and WB Cut tobacco every day.

Pure raw meat, bone, and organ, diet. It will clear up instantly.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
I have a new boxer. He gets bil-jak in the morning, ground deer meat in the afternoon, blue Buffalo dry in the bowl throughout the day. And about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter before bed.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I alternate between raw pigtails and raw whole chicken legs as the main staple, bone-in, of course. I supplement that with a small piece of beef liver every day, a few frozen berries (a variety of them), and a fish oil gelcap. Been doing this for many years. My oldest dog will be 12 this spring, and still looks and behaves like a dog in her prime. Both my dogs have pearly white teeth, with no plaque buildup, healthy gums, sweet breath, and have never needed a teeth cleaning.

Occasionally, when I can find them, I feed them a raw beef kidney, for some variety.
Are you serious? I used to feed my mutt chicken bones. Then my vet told me that the sharp end of a broken bone can perforate the dog's intestine, and the dog needs life saving surgery for $1800. No more bones for my dog.

To be fair, prior to that my dog ate all the bones of 14 chickens, and never got sick.

That vet needs to get out in the wild and warn all those poor wolves, coyotes, and foxes. They are all in deep trouble without anyone out there to debone their prey. grin

PS What your vet said is sound advice with regard to cooked bones, but not raw. Raw bones don't splinter into hard, sharp, points. Dogs represent the end product of 40 million years of evolution equipping them precisely for processing the whole animals they catch. They process them with their teeth, jaws, and the remainder of their digestive tracts, all perfectly designed for the task.
Posted By: duke61 Re: Another dog food thread - 02/08/22
Vet told a fried of mine that much of the cancer is due to not enough meat protein in the dog food,

That vet needs to get out in the wild and warn all those poor wolves, coyotes, and foxes. They are all in deep trouble without anyone out there to debone their prey. grin

PS What your vet said is sound advice with regard to cooked bones, but not raw. Raw bones don't splinter into hard, sharp, points. Dogs represent the end product of 40 million years of evolution equipping them precisely for processing the whole animals they catch. They process them with their teeth, jaws, and the remainder of their digestive tracts, all perfectly designed for the task.

+1.My bull mastiff(adopted) was fed whole chickens ,legs, thighs and wings from the time he could eat solid food thru the time I ended up with him(one year later). One vet grimaced, his current one said as long as it is not cooked. I feed him Fromm Dog food and have for almost 5 years , he also gets fish, chicken and meat that is cooked.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Another dog food thread - 02/09/22
+ 1 on uncooked bones & raw eggs & meats, as supplementals !
Posted By: centershot Re: Another dog food thread - 02/09/22
Ole Roy for my dog. Poor old guy's hips are going and I need to put him down but I just don't have the heart.
I was feeding my dog cooked chicken bones. The vet told me, and she wasn't kidding, that she did that intestine surgery about once every six weeks. Chicken bone pierces the intestine, doo doo leaks out into the abdomen, infection called peritonitis develops, and without surgery the doggie will die in 3 days and it isn't pretty.

Interesting that raw bones don't cause a problem.. I have been wondering about that.
I was feeding my dog cooked chicken bones. The vet told me, and she wasn't kidding, that she did that intestine surgery about once every six weeks. Chicken bone pierces the intestine, doo doo leaks out into the abdomen, infection called peritonitis develops, and without surgery the doggie will die in 3 days and it isn't pretty.

Interesting that raw bones don't cause a problem.. I have been wondering about that.

The bones harden during the cooking process and splinter while uncooked will be soft and not have sharp ends. That said I will not feed him uncooked chicken anymore, he doesn't chew his food . Worry about the chicken piece lodging in his throat smile

If raw bones were a problem, every day would constitute a decimation of wild canids (wolves, coyotes, foxes, etc.), because they don't avoid the bones of the animals they take down. They crunch away at them, and eat those bones chunk by chunk, and the smaller animals they catch (e.g., rabbits, birds, etc.) get munched down whole.

Wolverines (admittedly, closer to a weasel than a dog), for example, during hard times, will specialize in crushing (they have super powerful jaws) and consuming old carcass bones left behind by larger predators. Captured wolverines are often found to have stomachs chock full of nothing but bone fragments.
I look for an approximate 30/20 fat/protein mix. Currently I’m feeding Purina Pro Plan Sport but have also feed Taste of the Wild in the past.
Very interesting Hawkeye. Because I knew that if a coyote caught a 10 pound wild turkey, it is going to be Happy Thanksgiving because he is going to gobble that bird down.
How did all those dogs live and thrive before yuppie, feel good dog food was thrust upon the gullible American consumer? Somewhere along the line a dog morphed from a pet/possession, which they have been for thousands of years, to a "family member" with a status equivalent to that of a child. Just another symptom of the cancer that has been slowly eating away at the soul of America.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Another dog food thread - 02/09/22
Natures Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato from Costco, very highly rated and the dogs love it.

© 24hourcampfire