Home
Posted By: LJBass Tech Question - 02/12/22
Lets assume Wabigoon knows more about tech than I...
I have an Android Phone, Samsung, Straight talk.
I also have a HP laptop. Just a basic version, for working, running spreadsheets.
I would like to be able to use internet on the laptop in remote locations, for clients.
Assume, no wifi, like McDonalds or Cafes or Neighbors.

How would you solve this issue.

Remember, Less tech savvy than Wabi, give details not assumptions.

PS. No Wabi's were hurt in the making of this post.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
If you want to access the internet, then you are going to have to connect to the internet. One way is to set up a Hotspot. Read up on that.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
You have to make sure your wireless carrier “plan” you are on allows “hot spots” …

This type of connection is when your wireless acts as a gateway & Wifi router to let you laptop connected to the phone Wi-Fi, and access the Internet.

The first step is making sure your wireless plan allows it.

Posted By: Mike78 Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
I'd get a cellular tablet, that is assuming you have cell coverage. If you don't then all this is for not.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
Beats me.
Posted By: LJBass Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
Originally Posted by Mike78
I'd get a cellular tablet, that is assuming you have cell coverage. If you don't then all this is for not.

I have cell coverage. "Remote" in my area is still populated. I'm actually wanting it to talk to clients during Open House in Subdivisions. Hard to pull up other listings in the area and share information on my phone. I have my laptop there anyways, thought it would ease my suffering.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
Go into the network and internet settings on the Android phone and create a hotspot. Then on your laptop open up the list of wifi networks and connect to your phone through the hotspot you created. Phone acts like a modem to the internet. Like others said check your hotspot details in your phone plan. Don't assume that an unlimited plan includes unlimited hotspot.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
Originally Posted by LJBass
Lets assume Wabigoon knows more about tech than I...
I have an Android Phone, Samsung, Straight talk.
I also have a HP laptop. Just a basic version, for working, running spreadsheets.
I would like to be able to use internet on the laptop in remote locations, for clients.
Assume, no wifi, like McDonalds or Cafes or Neighbors.

How would you solve this issue.

Remember, Less tech savvy than Wabi, give details not assumptions.

PS. No Wabi's were hurt in the making of this post.

wabigoon & tech in the same sentence ?

come on man........
Posted By: Mike78 Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22

I have cell coverage. "Remote" in my area is still populated. I'm actually wanting it to talk to clients during Open House in Subdivisions. Hard to pull up other listings in the area and share information on my phone. I have my laptop there anyways, thought it would ease my suffering.

I'd step up to impress the clients and get a cellular tablet.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22

I'd step up to impress the clients and get a cellular tablet.

iPad on the wireless account.
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
I have Straight Talk also, you'll have to go to their unlimitted plan. I think it's $85 a month (that's what it used to be). That way you can turn on the hotspot on your phone and it will work. At least I'm pretty sure you can't use a hotspot with the $45 a month plan.

Also if you have an unlocked phone but it's an AT&T phone it won't work either, I went through this already with my Samsung Galaxy S8. AT&T has it blocked somehow on the phone. I never looked into if there were a way to get it to work but maybe there is.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
Me? Tecnigal Savvy? I do well to work a flashlight! laugh
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
I run my laptop all the time from my Samsung S9.
Apps, settings, connections, scroll down to "mobile hotspot and tether"
Connection speed is dependent upon signal to phone. IE lte, 4g, 5g

Whether your data plan supports a hotspot connection is another story.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Go into the network and internet settings on the Android phone and create a hotspot. Then on your laptop open up the list of wifi networks and connect to your phone through the hotspot you created. Phone acts like a modem to the internet. Like others said check your hotspot details in your phone plan. Don't assume that an unlimited plan includes unlimited hotspot.

This...............

MM
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
Verizon Hot Spot.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Tech Question - 02/12/22
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=create+mobile+hotspot+android&ia=web
© 24hourcampfire