Home
Posted By: jnyork Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
As a result of the horrible battle we had with the Covid last year, my wife suffered quite a bit of hearing loss in her left ear. I want to get her a hearing aid, as the loss is starting to bother her and make her cranky. If you have a hearing aid, what has been your experience? I am very leery of hearing aid peddlers, lumping them in the same ilk as used car salesmen and funeral directors. Having met many people with hearing aids who have to constantly fiddle with them, take them back, get different ones, etc, I am concerned to say the least. Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
I had Resound for years, which were ok. But things got worse as they got old, but technology advanced. Aetna Insurance pays $2500 (1200) each ear if you use their provider. It isn't a scam apparently. New ones are Oticon and are superb. It really is astounding. Sorry to hear of her misfortune. Hearing loss does make you cranky for sure. And everyone hates you besides.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
Costco was the answer for me. $1525 out the door for top quality aids. Their folks are not on commission so no need to push for the most expensive. This has come up before and most here agree, Costco has the best quality/cost aids.
Posted By: tops911 Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
I have Resound hearing aids and have been wearing them for about 7 years or so. I got my first set while in the Army (field artillery) and the VA had provided my with new hearing aids since I retired. I prefer hearing aids with batteries over the rechargeable ones. My hearing aids seem to go dead while im out in the woods a lot. I really the Resound app to control the searing aids and like that they bluetooth to my phone and it makes talking on the phone so much nicer. With the app on my iPhone I was even able to find a hearing aid that fell out when a tree branch knocked it out of my ear. I dont do any adjustments with my hearing aids, I just stick them in and go.
Posted By: ERK Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
One guys experience. I have had aid for about 20 years. Decided to upgrade a year ago. Went to Costco and got the 1800 dollar per pair model. I’m back to wearing the old expensive one because it’s still better than the new ones. Edk
Posted By: dale06 Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
I’ve had them for 10 years. Lots of hearing loss due to being a dumb ass and not protecting from firearm noise 40 years ago.
I went to an audiologist.
He did testing on my hearing loss.
It was severe in my left ear, less so in my right ear.
He recommended Oticon brand, $6500 if I recall correctly.
For the first three weeks I hated them.
Now they’re great, would not be without them.
That pair lasted about five years, and I had to replace, and did so with the same brand and similar cost. I think that’s a normal lifespan of them, five or so years.
They help a lot in one to one type conversations. But in a noisy atmosphere, like a bar or restaurant, they’re less helpful cause you hear all the noise. There are ways that that the hearing aids compensate for that, but it’s still an issue.
I’ve heard positive things about COSTCO hearing aids, but have no experience.
I highly recommend getting hearing aids if you’re having difficulty hearing. Where to buy them is open for debate. I’m happy with mine, but they’re expensive. Maybe there’s a better value, or maybe you get what you pay for.
Good luck.

Posted By: 405wcf Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Costco was the answer for me. $1525 out the door for top quality aids. Their folks are not on commission so no need to push for the most expensive. This has come up before and most here agree, Costco has the best quality/cost aids.

$1400 for me this past December. They are programable through my phone and work great. I could not be happier.

405wcf
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
What?
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22

This! My experience three months ago with Costco was excellent. I needed to replace my original ones after 10 years of good service. I first got a quote from a private vendor which in comparison was triple for the same quality as the Costco pair…. Rechargeable for third of the price with very good customer service… What’s not to like!

Originally Posted by travelingman1
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
I offer a matrimonial harmony tip...not so much about hearing aid quality. When one partner has hearing aids, and the other one doesn't, that can cause strife, discontent, ill feelings and possibly hate.
Posted By: drover Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
My hearing loss is pretty severe and it reached the point whrere I finally had to get a pair. I went through my first two pair over a period of about 5 years each and hated them, they caused many of the problems cited here. But with the ones I have now I found a good audiologist and he keeps them in tune for me and they work great. A good provider (audiologist) made all of the difference.
I ended up with MiracleEar not because I think they are the best but for the excellent audiologist that sells them - if I had someone who gave this good of tuning and service I suspect that any brand would do. I have heard that there are only four major manufacturers of hearing aids. Before my last pair I did talk with Costco and they would not accept my insurance and I really didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the person who was going to do the tuning on them.

drover
Posted By: Redneck Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
I just got a pair... Will be trying them out when I meet the doc on a zoom call...
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
Costco keeps their prices down by their volume. One of their techs told me that they will set a price to sell them at and then tell the manufacturers to send the best they have that can be retailed at that price. Because of the volume, the manufacturers can greatly discount their best ones and still make good money. If you bought what Costco sells anywhere else, you'd pay another $1000.

As was mentioned before, the tech who tests and fits them is all important. They go through an extensive training and licensing period. Costco spends a lot getting their people properly trained and in keeping up with the latest technology. Also, they repair and service them for life. Many hearing aid shops will include 3 or 4 services for free and then charge you for anything beyond that. Costco's free until the aid falls apart. My previous pair was 8 years and and Costco said would have still fixed them for free but parts were no longer available.
Posted By: Bluecat1 Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
I have hearing loss in both ears from my ear canals starting to collapse.
Bought 2 pairs from Amazon. One to wear and one for spare. Both rechargeable, rated 5 stars, and for $220 for both. First pair lasted over a year. Second pair still going after almost 2 years.
Ear doctor wanted $5500 for a pair. I can buy quite a few pair from Amazon for $5500. Worn daily.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
My wife is always after me to get my hearing checked.
I keep telling her that there is nothing wrong with my hearing.

Thats what makes her cranky.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
Originally Posted by Bluecat1
I have hearing loss in both ears from my ear canals starting to collapse.
Bought 2 pairs from Amazon. One to wear and one for spare. Both rechargeable, rated 5 stars, and for $220 for both. First pair lasted over a year. Second pair still going after almost 2 years.
Ear doctor wanted $5500 for a pair. I can buy quite a few pair from Amazon for $5500. Worn daily.
If a higher volume is all you need, that will work. However, most people have loss in certain frequencies. That's where the expensive ones help. The testing will show what frequencies are lost and the high tech aids will amplify the sounds in those areas without blasting your eardrums in frequencies that are still functional.
Posted By: Papag Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
On my third pair. In the canal first. Not good. Starkey behind the ear next. Great. respond from Costco last, pretty good. Prices respectively, $6K, $5K, $2.5K. Length of use three years, seven (and still as backup, and going on two.
Having a retest of hearing as none seem to be doing the job as well. (covid six mo. ago might be a factor.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
If all the privates would sound off like they had a pair we wouldn't need hearing aids.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
Thanks, everyone, I appreciate your comments.

Alas, it is about 300 miles to a Costco so that's out.

I would like to buy the hearing aid where I can easily take it back to the dealer if and when it goes tits up. Doesn't look like I'll get the job done. Here in Yuma would have to travel clear the hell to Phoenix, and I will not go anywhere near Phoenix for any reason. Back in Wyoming the closest dealer is over 150 miles away.

Ahh, life in the puckerbrush.
Posted By: batch Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
The VA has been great for me. I am on my third pair, the first two lasted ~5 years each. Each set has gotten better as the technology improves but will never match the originals that worked as issued. The Alaska VA has been good at tweaking them even if it takes awhile for an appointment. Audiology seems to be a strength of the VA.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/12/22
I'm pure-dee HE !! on hearing aids.
I've been asked by my niece (Doctor of Audiology) - Uncle Mark, how did you run over your hearing aid with a Bobcat?
How did a horse step on your hearing aid?
And many more odd questions.
I tried Costco - good products, but my after sale service left a LOT to be desired.
Went back to my niece - 370 miles away.

Find a GOOD audiologist.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/13/22
I get resound through the VA every 4 years, the pair I have now are rechargeable which I was a bit leery of but they have been great. I programmed them to my cell phone and can make independent adjustment to and also set up as a bluetooth for good phone conversations. They are also molded to my ear canal for a good fit.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/13/22
I’ve had pretty good results from my Costco hearing aids as we.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Got hearing aids? - 02/13/22
Had Oticons behind the ear for about 6 years through the VA; they worked ok but nothing special. Telephones and TV especially hard to understand. Retired them this year, got a new set of Phonaks (also behind the ear) with bluetooth and an app for my cellphone. Now its like someone is speaking right inside my head. Better than life. Also has 4 pre-programmed modes, for TV, restaurant, music, and autosense, plus up to 6 more custom modes you can set and adjust yourself. I bet if I could bluetooth connect to my TV it would be just like my cellphone--someone speaking inside my head, but I'm not tech savvy enough to do that. Plus, I think it only allows one bluetooth connection at a time, i.e. either cellphone or TV but not both at the same time. Anybody that qualifies for VA --even without a disability--should get this benefit. It would be worth the drive even if you live hours away from a VA hospital. They are sort of set and forget once you get them figured out. Plus, VA sends you all the free batteries and plastic domes you can use through the mail. I have about a years supply in front of me.
© 24hourcampfire