Home
Posted By: hosfly Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
I built a 2acres pond last summer,just out of the back yard, After letting it fill up last winter .I stocked it with 6"channel cats and shell crackers,along with fathead minnows,,Spent all last summer feeding these guys,and by fall, able to gow them out to 13"-14" edible nuggets, I used 4-5 duck decoys as jugs to jug fish it an hwen had one get on i would dip it up with a fishnet tied onto a 14'gigpole we use on the river,, Any way,,,,,Since the first of the year,Ive had a pair of bald eagles camping out on the pond,Through ice,wind,sleet,snow,rain,freezing temps an all types of changing Missouri weather these 2 fuggers are living large on catfish that might come up to surface for whatever reason, Ive never had a problem with em before,, its funny till it aint, that was today when I spotted movment out in the woods 200'uphill from pond where on investigating,I found a flopping catfish an 5 more dead one that the fuggers had caught and dropped in a 25' area for whatever reason,,Anybody had this going on like this?
Posted By: JeffA Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
You built them a McDonald's with a all ya can eat fly-through
Posted By: ldholton Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
I don't know if propane cannons would scare them away or they would just get used to it and come back.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
I wonder if a dude could buy a solar powered alligator to float out there,, one that will swish its tail an open its jaws up or somthing,,
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
SSS
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Originally Posted by cra1948
SSS

Only took 4 comments before the usual fire kicks in KILL em all. Before you do much of anything look for a nest close by. You get caught using an air cannon or bird bombs around an active nest you aren’t going to like what happens monetarily.
Its not nesting season here in the Ozarks yet, These guys migrate to this are by the dozens or hundreds,we went gigging the other nite and counted 22 along the river., Lots of clear water rivers lakes and creeks, usually lots of small game, road kill deer is a biggie and cow calf ops, not to mention lots of duck hunting few counties over,, few years ago I used to pick up road killed deer an give them to a buddy to place out in a field,he would shoot 'yotes off em and watch eagles feed on em,, I quit picking them up one day when a blowfly flew up my nose an went to buzzing,,, I about passed out from projectile vomiting before I could blow him out,, havnt picked one up for 15 yrs LOL
Originally Posted by cra1948
SSS
It is tempting,,, but I take enough wildlife to give (some) back,, but dayum they are wearing it out
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Originally Posted by hosfly
I wonder if a dude could buy a solar powered alligator to float out there,, one that will swish its tail an open its jaws up or somthing,,

Here ya go. Remote controlled alligator for sixty bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Contr...gator+head&qid=1645111067&sr=8-2
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
They'll be leaving to go north next month and you'll have all summer to restock it for their return next winter.
Posted By: tzone Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Try a coyote decoy. Lots of folks here do that in the summer to keep the geese off the beach
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Please don't shoot them. Anyone who would even suggest that needs therapy.

Ron
Posted By: leemar28 Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
We have problems with them too. They like new born calves..
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
You don’t want to have so much as a naturally molted feather in your possession.
Posted By: Osky Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Sky carp. Like any other predator they will kill for fun, not just when they’re hungry as Disney would have you believe.
Don’t let them migrate back up here, we have more than enough year round. Thanks in advance.

Osky
Posted By: Dutch Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Welcome to every day of my life....

DO NOT get caught harassing them!
DO NOT pick up a feather they drop

Dogs help. There's a commercial laser system that "shoots" birds with laser light, not sure if USFWS would consider that harassment, and I suppose it's pricey.

We keep the dogs around and as much of a human presence as we can afford, and hope the neighbor starts calving soon. They like afterbirths better than fish.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Its not nesting season here in the Ozarks yet, These guys migrate to this are by the dozens or hundreds,we went gigging the other nite and counted 22 along the river., Lots of clear water rivers lakes and creeks, usually lots of small game, road kill deer is a biggie and cow calf ops, not to mention lots of duck hunting few counties over,, few years ago I used to pick up road killed deer an give them to a buddy to place out in a field,he would shoot 'yotes off em and watch eagles feed on em,, I quit picking them up one day when a blowfly flew up my nose an went to buzzing,,, I about passed out from projectile vomiting before I could blow him out,, havnt picked one up for 15 yrs LOL

so you say you have an airborne freedom convoy staging in your area?

I like the sound of that!
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
This is what they are supposed to look like

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ToeCutter Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
I built a 2acres pond last summer,just out of the back yard, After letting it fill up last winter .I stocked it with 6"channel cats and shell crackers,along with fathead minnows,,Spent all last summer feeding these guys,and by fall, able to gow them out to 13"-14" edible nuggets, I used 4-5 duck decoys as jugs to jug fish it an hwen had one get on i would dip it up with a fishnet tied onto a 14'gigpole we use on the river,, Any way,,,,,Since the first of the year,Ive had a pair of bald eagles camping out on the pond,Through ice,wind,sleet,snow,rain,freezing temps an all types of changing Missouri weather these 2 fuggers are living large on catfish that might come up to surface for whatever reason, Ive never had a problem with em before,, its funny till it aint, that was today when I spotted movment out in the woods 200'uphill from pond where on investigating,I found a flopping catfish an 5 more dead one that the fuggers had caught and dropped in a 25' area for whatever reason,,Anybody had this going on like this?
Posted By: Windfall Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
You need to ask yourself why are catfish coming to the surface to begin with? Have you habituated them to eating food off the surface by feeding them? In the wild a catfish does not need a lot of dissolved oxygen to survive, but most fish will come to the surface if they are low on dissolved oxygen where they are easy picking for an eagle or an osprey. Maybe an aerator would help keep them under water where they belong..
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Originally Posted by Dutch

Dogs help. There's a commercial laser system that "shoots" birds with laser light, not sure if USFWS would consider that harassment, and I suppose it's pricey.

We keep the dogs around and as much of a human presence as we can afford, and hope the neighbor starts calving soon. They like afterbirths better than fish.

This guy ^^^^^^

likely knows of what he speaks.
These fish have been off commercial pellets for 3 months, the fathead minnows had a nice reproductive year to get them thru the winter as planned, All pond fish come to the surface, between fresh rain water,wind and cool temps Id think it unlikely about low oxygen , although a year old pond it looks very healthy,, instead of a water or fish problem I think Its a case of winged poachers finding a honey hole,, lol
Well, you kind of set them up with a nice smorgasbord for their winter vacation.

Maybe plant a few extras this coming season so they leave you enough for your needs.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
rats with feathers
Originally Posted by Valsdad

This guy ^^^^^^

I do have dogs dogs running around as well as a horse or three,, Neighbor down the road around 300 momma cows,with that many or more in just a few more miles, not to mention a 1000+ acre watershed lake and river 10 miles away,, why they like this pond is beyond me,, I grew up with a 10ac pond 50 from our house full of all types of big fish and never an eagle pair to baby sit it
Odds are, when you grew up there weren't any eagle pairs migrating into your area.

Very few raptors in the area where I grew up, we used to watch them migrate through suburbia. Then they learned they could make a living there and some stay year round now.
Odds are, when you grew up there weren't any eagle pairs migrating into your area.

Very few raptors in the area where I grew up, we used to watch them migrate through suburbia. Then they learned they could make a living there and some stay year round now.
You are correct on guessing Ima geezer,, 58 nxt month, A bald eagle back then would have the town buzzing,, and the ol timers then kept the red tail hawks to a very minimum
Posted By: Windfall Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
You could buy a dissolved oxygen meter just to make sure. You are in MO. I assume and that is probably south enough so that the pond doesn’t freeze over like they do up north. Any vegetarian or organic material that is decomposing over the winter will use up dissolved oxygen. We planted 500 rainbow trout in our little natural lake and we never saw them at the surface. The otters were our problem.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22

This guy ^^^^^^

I do have dogs dogs running around as well as a horse or three,, Neighbor down the road around 300 momma cows,with that many or more in just a few more miles, not to mention a 1000+ acre watershed lake and river 10 miles away,, why they like this pond is beyond me,, I grew up with a 10ac pond 50 from our house full of all types of big fish and never an eagle pair to baby sit it

The dogs need training:
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Originally Posted by boatammo
rats with feathers
Yep, like all raptors too damn many of them and they ought to be controlled. No excuse for complete protection. They sure as hell aren't endangered. Folks had enough sense to keep them killed down in my grandfathers day.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by boatammo
rats with feathers
Yep, like all raptors too damn many of them and they ought to be controlled. No excuse for complete protection. They sure as hell aren't endangered. Folks had enough sense to keep them killed down in my grandfathers day.
Agree!! went spotlighting for rabbits a week ago seen 1 in a 30 mile trip, and you wont see one run over on the hiway either,, to many animals like a rabbit dinner,forget finding a covey of quail,,

This guy ^^^^^^

The dogs need training:
Thats cool Dutch,I had a heeler/border collie cross that would do the same thing when you said "Trixie,there a Niqqer in the bushes" she would go crazie on anything that moved LOL
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22

This guy ^^^^^^

I'm guessing maybe there are good trees for them to perch on and watch the pond? Up here the DNR has been taking out all the trees in a lot of the WMA's so raptors have no place to sit. The idea is to keep them from taking ducks etc. off their nests.
Correct, I left a few trees on the west side and the south side of pond to shade it during the hot months, and yes if one falls off the limb they will get wet, Like valsdad said it looks made to order for them,,,
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Correct, I left a few trees on the west side and the south side of pond to shade it during the hot months, and yes if one falls off the limb they will get wet, Like valsdad said it looks made to order for them,,,
Make them a couple perches up there and stick a 1 3/4 coil spring on each one.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Or maybe a series of mirrors set up so that the sunlight will reflect into the trees and blind the crap out of them so they can't see the pond!

lol

(I'm only half joking....)
Posted By: JeffA Re: Bald Eagles!!! - 02/17/22
Take a 20x20 piece of 3/4 plywood, paint it dark green or blue.
Nail a catfish to it then let it float around in the pond fish side up and see what happens.
© 24hourcampfire