Home
Posted By: Diesel Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
We lost our great stud dog, Remmy, today. I am crushed. We knew he was in deep trouble for a week. We all said our goodbyes this morning and he went peacefully just afterward.

As breeders who keep all our adult dogs for their whole lives, this never gets easy. It is a gut punch every single time. They are all such wonderful and loyal companions. I will miss him deeply.

Most of our females are his offspring and they all loved their dad.

If you are not a dog person, it is very difficult to understand the grief of losing an animal that it so deeply affects you. You will never feel that pain, but you will never feel that love either.

R.I.P old friend.
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Sorry for your loss. I've been there and it's the worst. Just remember what Remmy gave you and celebrate his life.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Hate when this happens, my favorite presently is on her last few weeks. Sucks.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
My condolences. Dogs are family and it's hard when they go.
Posted By: JPro Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Sorry for your loss. I've been there and it's the worst. Just remember what Remmy gave you and celebrate his life.

Well said. A good dog deserves a good life and to love some good people.
They are like a family member.
I can empathize. Sorry for your loss Diesel.
Posted By: poboy Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
R.I.P. Remmy. I looked at your website, damn good looking dogs.
These posts get me every time.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
He's gone on around the bend. Waiting there for his humans.

THE PATH BEYOND THE BEND

Have you ever walked along a path
And looked ahead of you
To where the road turned suddenly
And seemed lost awhile from view?

Think of your dear one living still
Where the road goes on without end
It is only WE who do not see
The path beyond the bend

From a greeting card
Victoria II by Amberly
150SW8058T1
Amberly Gretting Card Co
Cincin OH 45249-1695
Barcode# 77527 00030
Posted By: cvmw Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Sorry for your loss, never easy, I miss all my dogs from the past, some have been gone a long time. cry
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
A death in the family for sure.

As said, it is always hard to take.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A death in the family for sure.

As said, it is always hard to take.

Agreed.
Posted By: HughW Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Diesel, having gone thru this a few times I feel your pain. The hole is big -- hold tight to the good memories as they help.

All the best.
Posted By: gbear Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Diesel, I certainly understand your pain and it certainly doesn’t get any easier as we grow older. I’ve seen more than a few of my faithful companions pass over the years, each time the pain and grief becomes greater….as to why? I attribute that to my learning to love them as they have loved me….unconditionally, with loyalty and forgiveness. Each one leaves they’re mark on me, each uniquely different but with the same result…deeper love, deeper understanding, more patience. Hence, the pain is greater….

Each time at they’re passing, I found another puppy to add to the my memories, no regrets.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
I'm sorry Remmy is gone. I understand more than words can explain.
My condolences, been there and done that more than once.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
I sure know how you are feeling. We have lost our share of great dogs here as well.
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Dreading the day that starts. Heartfelt condolences, man.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
It sucks to lose a good dog.

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
All kind words from a shared grief of friends we have lost.

Gbear, It does get harder as I age. It also makes hunting harder as all life takes on higher value. As related to hunting, respect for the life taken gains even more import as I age. Our dogs have made us better humans as we care for them and they care for us. We gain is so many ways from the relationship.

My wife and I are getting too old to keep breeding these wonderful dogs. I just hope to outlive every one of them as I don't want them to go to someone who would not care for them as we do.

All the words that flow seem sappy. Big loss brings that out into the open.

All of you share my grief. It does help. Thank you all.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
We've all been there and it's the way we choose.

Every time we start a new one, we always know it will end in a broken heart.

Stay strong and remember him. My condolences
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Been there and recently. Hurts like hell my friend. RIP Remmy
Posted By: chris_c Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
So sorry.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Sorry for the loss of your friend, iv been there 3 times, just bought a pup last August, he's on the recliner with me as I write this. He will most likely be my last dog. Take care!
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Sorry for your loss, Diesel. We lost our own Remmie a few years ago.
Posted By: 280Rem1 Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Yeah, those boogers have a way of working into your heart... and then breaking it once they leave us.
I know your pain, several times over now. Never thought a pup could make me cry off and on for several days until I lost a great one.
They truly are "Man's best friend".
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Very sorry for your loss.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Good Boy Remmy, good boy.
Where did our 12 years go, my graying friend, my love? How unfairly fast the time has come when your body can't obey your great, great heart. No matter Remmie, we were young together and knew what life was all about. Let's turn back now and build a fire and take a little nap.
Posted By: LBP Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Sorry for your loss. RIP Remmy.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by poboy

Sorry for your loss Diesel....

Where would one find the website mentioned above.
Posted By: cvmw Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Go to Diesels profile, he has a link there.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Easy for them to become family. Never easy saying good buy to a trusted friend.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Very sorry to hear this. I know how it makes you feel and that hole can never be filled. Mine over the years have left me some great memories that I try to dwell on instead of the end. But it is very tough.
Sorry for your loss
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by cvmw
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Go to Diesels profile, he has a link there.

Thx.......beautiful dogs....

RIP Remmy
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22

Good Boy Remmy
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Had to put my 14 yr old hound down at first of the year. It sucked
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Diesel,

Sorry for the loss of Remmy, it's a tough thing losing a buddy that absolutely loves you.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Sorry man. Condolences. It sucks. No other words.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Where did our 12 years go, my graying friend, my love? How unfairly fast the time has come when your body can't obey your great, great heart. No matter Remmie, we were young together and knew what life was all about. Let's turn back now and build a fire and take a little nap.

Damn Simon, There are moments when I think I just want to go with Remmy, but I have many other responsibilities to attend. So there is no shirking duty to ever even take much time to grieve. I told Remmy I would catch up with the pack down the road. Today is for Remmy and all the ones before him.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
I’m sorry OP, they become family and it’s hard to let go or lose one.
You will see him again walking the hills of Valhalla.
VERY sorry for your loss.
A quote from Gene Hill.

"Where did our 10 years go, my graying friend, my love? How unfairly fast the time has come when your body can't obey your great, great heart. No matter Tip, we were young together and knew what life was all about. Let's turn back now and build a fire and take a little nap."
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Our youngest dog is 9 years old and neither the wife or I are ready for anymore dogs. These threads are tough, you have our condolences.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Sorry for your loss; dogs are truly your best friends & it's a pity that they have such relatively short lifespans.

It just kills me when we lose a long time friend.

RIP Remmy.

MM
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Sorry Diesel. Dogs rock.
Posted By: billtrev Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Sorry for your loss.

One of ours is 14 years old - at this point every day is a gift.

Its been said that the pain of their loss is the price we pay for their unconditional love...
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Sorry about your dog.
😔😔😔😔
BTDT...
Too many times.
I

Dogs are rock stars in our life's...
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
I may have missed it, but what breed was Remmy? I hate losing dogs, their love and affection is unconditional. There's that old saying... "Throw your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car and drive around the block a few times. Then see which one is still happy to see you when you let them out..."

My current dog is a Black Mouth Cur. He's the most loyal and loving dog I've ever had. I'll be completely torn up when it's his time.

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by Diesel
You will never feel that pain, but you will never feel that love either.

That's an immutable law of the Universe.

Sorry you're going through this, I have done so myself too many times. But it's a yin and yang thing...I'm happy for you that you've had the experience of belonging to a great dog and I hope you do it again and again and again.

Hang tough.
Remmy was a Golden Retriever.

He has a story that goes along with him. I had lost my job and took a job as a farm hand just to get some income while I rebooted. Across the road from where I worked was another farm. There was a dog in a pen that was all alone as the farm owner was an absent owner. The caretaker fed that dog but that was all the contact he got.

Remmy was a muddy mess and straggling looking but I could see he would clean up. I told my wife about him and contacted the owner about his papers and if he was not cut. The owner said he just took the dog in from a lady who said her husband wouldn't let her keep him. He said we could have him, but to make sure, we bought him.

While reading a Purina Magazine I saw a dog that was featured that looked just like Remmy. The featured dog was from Oregon and famous in Golden Retriever in history. He sired more championships dogs than any other Golden ever. 124 at that time. Turned out Remmy was a direct descendant and great grandson of that dog. So he had great heritage and we were lucky to have found him.

It took a bit of time and sitting with him to earn his trust, but he warmed up and became a great friend. Assuredly the best looking Golden I have ever seen. He was a sure bet when it came to breeding. He was fun and gentle and happy.

Odd set of events brought us together. Sometimes God smiles on you.
Posted By: cvmw Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
Good story about how you came to find your friend, thanks for sharing this with us.
Most of my dogs started out as my wife's dogs but most always adopt me, probably because I spend all of my time outside when I'm home from work.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
Never easy... sorry for your loss.

My dogs mean more to me than most people.
Posted By: DMc Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
Late to this post, but sincere condolences.
Posted By: skeen Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
Losing a good dog is tough. My condolences.
Probably the only real cost of owning a dog is when they leave us. RZ.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
Sorry to hear this.

Just learned tonight that a friend’s home burned to the ground while he was at his business working and lost their 2 pet dogs that were inside.

It’s fair to say that the family is more distraught over those poor dogs than the home itself.
Very sorry to hear of this, Diesel. The dog I measure all dogs against is the Golden that I grew up with. She took me through middle school, high school, and into adult life. Losing her hit like a hundred hammers. Congratulations though, on having such a fine dog. You are actually a very lucky man, and I’m sure you know it. wink
Posted By: ribka Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
We lost our great stud dog, Remmy, today. I am crushed. We knew he was in deep trouble for a week. We all said our goodbyes this morning and he went peacefully just afterward.

As breeders who keep all our adult dogs for their whole lives, this never gets easy. It is a gut punch every single time. They are all such wonderful and loyal companions. I will miss him deeply.

Most of our females are his offspring and they all loved their dad.

If you are not a dog person, it is very difficult to understand the grief of losing an animal that it so deeply affects you. You will never feel that pain, but you will never feel that love either.

R.I.P old friend.

like to see a few pics and more stories of your dog
Just remember what dog is spelled backwards. That is why we have them!
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
Very sorry to hear about your boy. There really isn't anything like having or losing a great dog. My GSP Roxy just turned 15 in Feb. She's doing great for such an old dog but she's OLD! Glad you have so many dogs to enjoy from him, that's about the only comfort you can find at a time like this......

Please post some pics when you can, I'd love to see him.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
Shy of family and close friends...losing dogs is the absolute worst.
God, I hate it.
Posted By: kenacp Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
Sorry for your loss. I have been there and dread the day when my next one "crosses over". Hang tough and thank God for the time spent together.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
But, we always want another dog.
Our male dog has been going blind for about 4 years and Saturday between 1:30 and 12:00 he lost it all.

Since that time he does not walk,just laying in the same spot.

He has gone to the water bowl 2 times since it went.

I told the wife that when these 2 die i want no more.

I have had to put down to many of them in my years and even now could do it but i am just tired of them making me do it.

She is getting ahold of the vet tomorrow,so we will see.

I hate it because i like them.

To add he has been deaf for a year or so,he also has not eaten anything since Sat.,not even his favorite biscuit.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22

All kind words from a shared grief of friends we have lost.

Gbear, It does get harder as I age. It also makes hunting harder as all life takes on higher value. As related to hunting, respect for the life taken gains even more import as I age. Our dogs have made us better humans as we care for them and they care for us. We gain is so many ways from the relationship.

My wife and I are getting too old to keep breeding these wonderful dogs. I just hope to outlive every one of them as I don't want them to go to someone who would not care for them as we do.

All the words that flow seem sappy. Big loss brings that out into the open.

All of you share my grief. It does help. Thank you all.

Diesel I know of what you speak, still treasure ‘hunting’ and time spent in the woods, but no longer care to kill.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
Nebraska, I will try to get a decent pic up of Remmy.

Plainsman, how old is your dog? We had a male that was partially blind from birth. We never knew he was blind until he was in the vets for something else. We were shocked. A nine-year-old female we have has cataracts and does really well. They adapt and your guy may do so too. Give him some time to adjust. If he is really old, he may have other issues. Hope he comes around.
Posted By: JPro Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
My mother's dog was developing really bad cataracts and she paid to have one eye fixed. The other is still cloudy as can be, but the pup gets along great with just the one headlight. He's happy.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
My condolences, lost my GWP two years ago and still not over it. They are way better than most humans!!! Make sure you keep one of his off spring for yourself, some kind of connection. Bill. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Remmy in better days

Some of the staff at one of our veterinary clinic have his pups. They were all in tears when we brought him in. He was well known. We had lots of offers for him.

We have three of his offspring now.
][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
"Good night, sweet prince. And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."
Posted By: Huntz Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
Rip Remmy,you are in a better place now.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
I have loved all my dogs,but Goldens grab my heart.Just the best disposition of any dog that was part of our family.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
Sorry for your loss OP.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
sorry for your lose , to me a dog or even a cat are a family member ,a dog is always happy to see us .
Posted By: Kota Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/23/22
My Sincerest condolences. The loss of a good faithful companion is excruciating. I suffer every time I have to bury a buddy, but I always have to have another. I NEED a dog with me. They are better than us. The pain of the grief is the price of unconditional love.
He is 16 years old.

His half sister is the same age give a week or so.

Grizz has an appointment Friday at the Vet.to see how bad things are inside.

Mywife came home from work that day early so i knew something was up.

She walked both of them around the car and they were a sight.

I got them in the house and took off my shirt and let them lay on it so they would know my smell.

I like both but it just gets hard to watch over the years when things go wrong and i was the one called on to fix the problem.

I have had to do in horses,dogs and some of the dogs were ones that folks in town just dropped in the country,most were going after the cows.

I would have rather gotten the folks that dropped them off.

When one has a animal for 15-16 years it hurts when something happens.

Thanks and will let folks know what the vet says.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/24/22
Very sorry to hear the bad news on our best friends guys, two or four legged or family. They are all a wonderful and loved irreplaceable part of what makes our lives worth living.
Posted By: Otter Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/24/22
Diesel - So sorry for the loss of Remmy. We have lost 4 in the last 6 or 7 years . . . It hurts every time, but I know they will be as happy to see me as I will be to see them when we meet again at the bridge.

We had to say goodbye to a good one this morning. A mini Schnauzer with a prominent under-bite and about 18 pounds. He was always full of energy. He will be missed and remembered for a long, long while. We rescued him from a family with 2 young girls just over 12 years ago. The father advertised for someone to give him a home before the youngest girl killed him. My bride is convinced she (the youngest girl) was/is pure evil.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/24/22
Originally Posted by Otter
Diesel - So sorry for the loss of Remmy. We have lost 4 in the last 6 or 7 years . . . It hurts every time, but I know they will be as happy to see me as I will be to se them when we meet again at the bridge.

We had to say goodbye to a good one this morning. A mini Schnauzer with a prominent under-bite and about 18 pounds. He was always full of energy. He will be missed and remembered for a long, long while. We rescued him from a family with 2 young girls just over 12 years ago. The father advertised for someone to give him a home before the youngest girl killed him. My bride is convinced she (the youngest girl) was/is pure evil.

Amen.

I still choke up remembering my Pal who disappeared when I was 5 years old as the Drs thought he might be killing me with asthma and unbeknownst to me they had told my parents they had to give him away.

I remember sitting in the kitchen of the old ranch house unable to breath with the walls closing in squishing me when my Pal disappeared.

I would sneak away and walk to the neighbors down the dirt road each direction asking if they had seen my Pal. Goddayom.

All the time it was my POS dad who smoked cigarettes.

But, only by the Grace of God and those Drs and my RN Mother am I still here.
Posted By: las Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/24/22
I've lost maybe 10.

It doesn't get easier.

Their short lives more than make up for the loss, tho it doesn't seem like it at the time.

At our ages, we are on our last two, spoiled, not hunting them as I should (Dachshunds think they are grouse tree-barkers, caribou tracking dogs, the half-Lab doesn't swim... smile ). It wouldn't be fair for our dogs to out-live us, or our physical abilities. If we all live our allotted spans, we will be in our 80's when they pass.

I try to keep "last two" in mind when I am "busy" and shorting them.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/24/22
Never have owned a golden......several labs though

Stopped at a local dog specialty place to look for a harness for my lab....and a couple of large breed dogs were penned together out in the open, maybe having been groomed and waiting to be picked up. One was a mature golden and beyond sweet as could be to me as a total stranger.

That dog acted like it wanted to go home with me.

Remmys pic reminded me of that exchange.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Diesel Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/24/22
Goldens and Labs are both wonderful breeds with few exceptions. I had a Yellow Lab that I got when I worked out in Oregon that was a great dog. Goldens have been our breed for thirty years now and all but one (that we rescued from a young guy's family who was killed in a car crash) have been great. We are still working on that "one"

I remember each dog I ever owned and all their peculiarities. I miss them all, and like Otter says, I will see them at the bridge.

Jag, that you still remember Pal all these years later speaks to the powerful place our dogs hold in our hearts.

Just look at all the posts about our dogs and how it affects each of us when we hear someone lost their friend. It is incredible how much they mean to us. If I didn't ever have a dog and I read all these posts, I would think I better go get a dog.
Well Grizz was put down today,he was 15 years old.

He was blind and deaf,when he went totally blind Saturday around 1:30 or so he quit eating and taking water.

He also just layed around and slept.

No bowl movements for 6 days and only pissed once.

He is not suffering any more,only if i get like that,my kids or wife will do the same for me.
We had to put our Shorthair down last week. First time in 35 years I haven't had one. My 15 year old daughter found a beagle needing a home. Bailey Beagle came to live with us Wednesday. My daughter is so happy.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/26/22
I dont remember who to attribute this to, but it carries a lot of meaning to me and hopefully to others in their time of loss:

Every time I lose a dog, I lose a piece of my heart. Every time I get a new pup, I gain a piece of his heart. If I live long enough, maybe my heart will become all dog, and I will be that much better for it.

We lost our male Golden Remi (Farmfresh Remington Parker) two years ago to sudden lung cancer at age 11. I was crushed for two weeks, and still tear up thinking about it. Carry him in your thoughts always. Our sincere sorrow for your loss.
I can't read the post... I get misty every time i think about the loss of an animal. I remember EVERY ONE of the dogs I have had in my life and pray that i can see them all one day down the road.

I am all dog by now...
Posted By: Diesel Re: Lost a great dog today. - 02/26/22
I am so heartfelt sorry for all who lose their good friends. It sucks big time. So sorry guys.
© 24hourcampfire