Home
What should I expect? I shot a couple of days ago off the truck hood with just a bipod and was getting about 2" with bulk cheap ammo for a 10 shot group. No rear bag and a 6-9mph breeze. This gun shoots everything really good so I quit using the expensive stuff when grouping at 50 yards. Maybe I should pull them all out and see what they do at 100 yards.

What should I expect with a good rest and no wind on a tricked out gun?
Posted By: rost495 Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/26/22
2 inch with cheap and a good rest at 100 with wind. Yeah, want to sell that gun?

I'm super happy with most 22 if we can find 2 inches or less at 100, super happy at 1 inch but thats been rare unless its a higher dollar gun or barrel.
Shot a good bit of 200 yard .22 Match Outdoor where ten ring was 2” and X ring 1”. Last time I fired this course fired 20 shots for record with score of 198-14X! No scope aperture sights only!
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
What should I expect? I shot a couple of days ago off the truck hood with just a bipod and was getting about 2" with bulk cheap ammo for a 10 shot group. No rear bag and a 6-9mph breeze. This gun shoots everything really good so I quit using the expensive stuff when grouping at 50 yards. Maybe I should pull them all out and see what they do at 100 yards.

With good ammo and a Vudoo rifle topped with an appropriate scope one can obtain sub MOA 5 shot groups with regularity.
My range only reaches to 50 yards. Dunno what at 100. One of the last times I shot the Contender at 50 it put 5 into .091”. Being able to see beyond 50 yards in my woods is quite rare, so I don’t give much of a flip about 100 yds.
I did omit that I was using a decent scope... the whole gun is Volquartsen except the receiver...
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Shot a good bit of 200 yard .22 Match Outdoor where ten ring was 2” and X ring 1”. Last time I fired this course fired 20 shots for record with score of 198-14X! No scope aperture sights only!

That’s quite impressive. More the Indian than the arrow. But curious, what gun/ammo?
Try some different kinds! LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ribka Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/26/22

im pressive
Posted By: jnyork Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/26/22
I have shot quite a bit of 100 yards competition over the last 50 years or so and scored a helluva bunch of targets others have shot.

If you have a good target rifle that will hold 1" for 10 shots regularly at 100 yards, treasure it, , don't let it out of your sight and buy a pickup load of that ammo you're shooting.

Pay no attention to these guys: [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

200 yds with open sights? I need someone to stand behind the target and whoop so I know the general direction to point it. They'd be plenty safe.

Under still, early morning conditions with a sandbag rest, my better .22s have generally been good for MOA for 10 shots at 100 and generally with CCI standard velocity. Guns that would do that consistently for me have been a Browning 52, an Anschutz I bought from Karnis (not sure of the model), a couple of Kidd .22s and few others. I have a new Kidd and a Bergara HMR (I think that's the model) that I've had for a few months and I need to shoot.
Ok... I have never shot the .22 that far... just never thought about trying it. Will definitely be doing more of this as it will help my longer range discipline without breaking the bank. A LOT of fun and surprisingly accurate...
22LR rifles are hit or miss when it comes to 100 meter accuracy. I've got a few 10/22s that are pie plate accurate at best at 100 meters, no matter what ammo I feed them. But I've got an old 1950s era 39a that is MOA at 100 yards using just about any ammo I feed her. I love that rifle. Squirrels run for cover when they see me coming with that Marlin.

22s are a lot of fun.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/26/22
Originally Posted by jnyork
I have shot quite a bit of 100 yards competition over the last 50 years or so and scored a helluva bunch of targets others have shot.

If you have a good target rifle that will hold 1" for 10 shots regularly at 100 yards, treasure it, , don't let it out of your sight and buy a pickup load of that ammo you're shooting.

Pay no attention to these guys: [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Love the pic! Rifle that is…..
I once was pretty good at killing prairie dogs out to 300 yards or so with a 39M with a K4. It was a lot of fun.
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I once was pretty good at killing prairie dogs out to 300 yards or so with a 39M with a K4. It was a lot of fun.

I have more fun shooting prairie dogs with my 22lr, than I do with the larger rifles. And like you said, 300 yds is very doable.
When I was in my 20's, my best friend( who was a bachelor at the time) and I could "regularly" hit @100 the old "out of daqte" eggs he always seemed to have, ha. We did this with CCI Mini-Mags, winchester Wildcats and Stings. His was a Remington pump, mine a Remington semi. We did, however, put 1 inch scopes on them, usually Tasco back then. smile
when I moved out West, my dad's old Marlin bolt action .22 mag with an old Sightron 1" .22 mag can "sometimes" get sub MOA at 100 with loads it likes. I like the wind-defying of the mag over the .22 LR

That's impressive, Sharpsman. Dayam.
Posted By: gunzo Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/26/22
My best 100 yd. group of the day, but several more got close to this. Anschutz 64, 1# trigger 36 X scope, Federal Match, just an occasional 1-2 mph just that I'd wait on to stop.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Wolf match is good too;
Posted By: Ringman Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/26/22
Remington Model 34 7/8" with 14 shots firing Stingers looking through a Tasco 6-24X. The velocity was 1,400 feet per second.

Ran out of ammo so went to town and bought three different lot numbers. Velocity was 1,600 feet per second. Groups opened up to a foot.
Posted By: blanket Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/26/22
When I shot NRA smallbore outdoor prone years ago a rifle needed to be sub moa to be competitive. My rifles were (2) 37 Remingtons and Eley Tenex with Irons and 15x Unertl's At 50 yards I shot Eley Target Rifle or Federal match, forget the number but it was the grade below the dimpled base ammo which I think was 811b. 100 yard targets were 1" x ring, 2" 10 ring and 200 yard targets were 2" x and 4" 10
I for years hoarded a couple of boxes of that Federal match ammunition with the hole in the base. I may still have 10 rounds somewhere.
Hard to believe that you can’t find a place to shoot at 100 yards.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/26/22
I got bored with 50 yards and stated shooting farther several years ago. I have 3 rifles that I've shot with out to 250 yards. Not every time, I don't even try past 100 when there is any wind. But 1" 100 yard groups are pretty common. Two inch groups at 200 are less common, but it happens. With my rifles and optics 250 yards is where I run out of scope adjustment. I shoot at a 4" steel plate and get more hits than misses at 250.

My Tikka T1x is the most accurate, but I have one Ruger 10/22 with an aftermarket bull barrel that comes close. It has the factory trigger, but a smith worked on it. I also have a 10/22 LVT. They only made those guns briefly, but it is basically a light varmint contour 20" target barrel. I put a Ruger BX trigger in it.

I shoot CCI Mini Mags. I can do slightly better at 50 yards with slower match ammo. But the faster CCI's make a difference at longer ranges. I used the trial-and-error method to figure out scope adjustments for longer ranges. I suppose I could do the same with match ammo, but I've been pleased with what I've been getting
I can, but choose not to bother most days. As implied earlier 100 yards is somewhat irrelevant these days.

One of the things that cooled my desire for longer range is that the local range does little to segregate shooters. AR shooter out the kazoo, no knowledge of how to shoot, or manners for that matter. Grew weary of their blasts via the flash suppressors blowing my paper/brass and whatnot off the bench. Now and then I have retaliated with a big bore boom and they go find a new bench. More trouble than it's worth.

The target referenced earlier:

Back when I was a punk I did this with my 10/22 at 100.

Same rig at 50

And last, but not least, some of my .22 GTC handloads from the Contender.

Posted By: Tesoro Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/26/22
I have a sweet annie 64 action with sporter barrel. Mod 1416. My fav rifle. I can put reg decent ammo close to an inch at 100. no wind of course. wind is the killer for 22lr but not so much down range as close to you.

I usually shoot the aussie rabbit rounds win-x power point ( hp). I just bought 3500 rds of cci mini mag and they dont work in my rifle. The rim is fatter and rounder and extractor grabs on chambering and makes bolt closing hard. Sold the rounds and located more win.

I can hit ground squirrels non stop at 100. Thats all I care about. Dont try to make my field gun/action like it is a target one. Speaking of squirrels spring is coming!
A breath of wind changes the score.
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Hard to believe that you can’t find a place to shoot at 100 yards.

Illustration of why I don't worry about long range stuff. Though I don't think precision at 200 with a .22 LR is out of the question, I don't live in Wyoming.

It's hard to imagine any .22lr shooting better than 2moa in significant variable winds.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Try some different kinds! LOL

Lol

No eley, sk, or lapua?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I feel for you guys. Here's our permanent 800 yard steel setup with options to 2k.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
It's hard to imagine any .22lr shooting better than 2moa in significant variable winds.

It's possible but only with plenty of wind flags out and the knowledge and experience to read them and make the proper hold-offs. Just holding center and hoping is just a matter of luck. Rare is the day when one can consistently hold center and center punch the target without wind flags, top rate equipment, ammo and plenty of experience.
Originally Posted by cooper57m

It's possible but only with plenty of wind flags out and the knowledge and experience to read them and make the proper hold-offs. Just holding center and hoping is just a matter of luck. Rare is the day when one can consistently hold center and center punch the target without wind flags, top rate equipment, ammo and plenty of experience.

That doesn't count. A person's skill and a rifles accuracy are completely different subjects.
Posted By: EdM Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/27/22
Originally Posted by cooper57m

That doesn't count. A person's skill and a rifles accuracy are completely different subjects.

Precisely why, with my recent foray into precision rimfire fun, I am still shooting at 50 yards. Still working on my faults.
I’ve never had a really accurate 22 rimfire rifle. So I decided to get one. I had a couple of friends advise me to simply get a Ruger 10/22 and change out all the components. Barrel, stock, trigger group, put a good scope on it etc.

So I got one and put a Kidd 16” Stainless Bull barrel on it, Kidd trigger group, dropped it into a Boyds At One stock. It has an adjustable comb and butt plate, put a 30 MOA rail and mounted a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 with a TMR reticle.

A friend had just about every type of target ammo available and enough to sell me. I tried seven different boxes of ammo and came up with a new one that works best.

My friend has a Vudoo Rifle with great scope. I’ve shot it with his chosen ammo and it shoots really good. My set up shoots just as good. Enough travel to shoot 400 yard targets

10 shots at 50 yards

My most accurate rifle is a Winchester Mdl 52 that I bought in a pawn shop many decades ago for almost nothing. I had the receiver sight removed and the barrel bobbed to 22"(I think it was 26"). The receiver was grooved for scope mounts.
My five shot groups at 50 yards with a recently acquired Sako P72. Still work to be done. Short of the top three groups the rest were shot with SK.

I'm gonna bring mine this week. Joel and Bobby like to shoot stuff on the sly sometime.
Originally Posted by SCRooster
22LR rifles are hit or miss when it comes to 100 meter accuracy. I've got a few 10/22s that are pie plate accurate at best at 100 meters, no matter what ammo I feed them. But I've got an old 1950s era 39a that is MOA at 100 yards using just about any ammo I feed her. I love that rifle. Squirrels run for cover when they see me coming with that Marlin.

22s are a lot of fun.

There are a lot of old 39a rifles that can do that. Wish I had one.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by SCRooster

22s are a lot of fun.

There are a lot of old 39a rifles that can do that. Wish I had one.

Yes. I lost one somewhere along the way it is one greatest gun regrets have.
I'm gonna bring mine this week. Joel and Bobby like to shoot stuff on the sly sometime.

I'll drag one or two along as well.
Posted By: blanket Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/27/22
Get your pop corn and go watch a br50 match, Don't think you're going to see any 10-22s or mini mags but you might learn something
Posted By: Huntz Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/27/22
I generally shoot in the 1`s at 100 yards with any ammo for one shot groups.
Originally Posted by blanket
Get your pop corn and go watch a br50 match, Don't think you're going to see any 10-22s or mini mags but you might learn something

Rocket science...
Posted By: blanket Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/27/22
Rocket science
10/22 and stingers and 2Inchs at a 100 was what we got ..gophers didn't care
Originally Posted by Huntz

LMAO
Posted By: Muffin Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/27/22
Originally Posted by Huntz

LMAO

Sasha, in all fairness he did put a single tick after the 1, not a double tick..............

wink
Wind is the destroyer of groups when shooting a trans-sonic, heeled bullet. If you could shoot in a closed 100-yard tunnel, you could get some impressive groups. Outdoors? Uhhh, no. Except by luck.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/27/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

200 yds with open sights? I need someone to stand behind the target and whoop so I know the general direction to point it. They'd be plenty safe.

The accuracy with open sights isn't far off of a scope. Generally speaking scores are along the lines of not much if any higher but a higher X count with optics.

And the typical irons on a match rifle are so adjustable its almost like optics. Vs service rifle sights anyway.

When we shot a lot, we have a Krieger barreled 22 LR service rifle upper. With irons at 50 yards we had reduced the 100 yard target to a 50 and we could shoot 100-5X pretty regular. What size was that. Not sure, but on the order of half an inch is what I recall.

Not nearly that good with average bulk cheap ammo. The best cheap was Wolf match target. Wish I had cases of that.... But shot a lot of federal 900 A or B IIRC and that was accurate enough and cheaper than Eley Tenex.
Posted By: Tesoro Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/27/22
Most people dont know that std velocity rounds are considerably less wind sensitive than hi-velocity rounds. This only works for 22lr.
Posted By: greydog Re: 100 Yard .22LR Accuracy... - 02/27/22
I have fired some fairly impressive groups at 100m but I have not had a rifle and ammo combo that I would be able to say, with any real certainty, I could shoot 1 moa or better at 100. One ten shot group was from a Winchester 69A, shooting some old Remington Palma ammo. I put ten in 1.1 inch at 100, off the bench. With a couple of my home made rifles, I have fired the occasional sub moa target at 100 but most often there is a flier or two in ten shots. I mostly shoot with affordable ammo (S-K standard plus or rifle match) since most of my shooting is offhand and I am more concerned with my hold than anything else.
In general, if one of my 22's will stay close to 1 inch MOST of the time, I'm happy.
The old 69A I mentioned is actually more of a 2 moa rifle. A CZ I have is a little better. The Model 52c (restocked, rechambered) is a pretty solid moa or better rifle and a Model 75 with custom barrel and stock is about the same. An Anshcutz 64 is a little better than the CZ and a savage MKII sporter is about the same. The worst one I have is a Savage Mkll bull barrel which will usually stay in about 8 inches at 100. It's so bad I can't even sell it! GD
© 24hourcampfire