Home
When I was a kid my dad had a Smith and Wesson model 27 357 magnum with the 8 3/8" barrel. I don't remember if it had a dash, I just know I thought it was the coolest handgun ever. He traded it in about 1982. Don't remember what he traded it for. I now have a 27-2 with the 8 3/8" barrel that I picked up at an auction 2 years ago.. Not his, but it looks identical. He also had a model 53 22 jet with the 8 3/8" barrel. I would love to have one, but I just can't see myself ponying up that kind of money for a revolver. What guns have you guys listed after since you were a kid and now own, or don't own?
S&W K22
Have a couple now.
K22, have now
I wanted a high gloss Weatherby MV with white line spacers and that ultra high Monty Carlo cheek piece.

Not today
A real pre-'64 Winchester 70 carbine in 257 Roberts circa 1970.

Bearrr264 bought it.

I got it from him in 2003.
HK PSG1. Still have never seen one. My dads Marlin 336 .30-30. Killed a doe with it a couple years ago.

Old70
A Ruger 10-22. I was given a Marlin M60 for Christmas when I was eight instead. It was a fine rifle. I am now sixty. I now own two older 10-22's and I donated the M60 to a Boy Scouts bunch when I lived in Houston many years ago.
A Python.
Bought one for myself for Christmas the first year I drove truck.

A Finnwolf like Dad's. Got one.

A 257 Wby. Only available in Mark V then. Wanted the normal one.
Not interested anymore. Would build a wildcat now first.
Fast twist too.
Uzis always looked cool growing up, still don’t have one
I wanted a Remington Mountain Rifle in .280 Remington. Now I can’t stand Remington rifles.
The first gun that I really wanted as a kid was a Remington 66. My first 22 was a Ruger 10/22 which was the more practical rifle but as a young kid in the 1980’s I thought that the Remington 66 was the coolest looking rifle and I daydreamed about all of the critters that I’d hunt with it.

The other gun that I remember really wanting was a Ruger Red Label 28 gauge shotgun for grouse hunting.

I have both today. I still haven’t got around to shooting the 66 but scooped it up when I saw one in nice condition awhile back. I bird hunt quite a bit with the Ruger and will will eventually give it to my daughter to hunt with.
Llama 22 pistol (mini-1911) in the Shooter's Bible in the 1950's. Still have never seen one.

And the rifle that appeared identical to the current CZ 527. I've got two of the CZ's now.

Bruce
I drooled over my farmer uncle's Marlin model 39 century limited. He let me shoot it for rabbit control on the farm and I couldn't seem to miss. I still don't have one due to the insane price they command now. I also loved the ruger 10-22 and do have one of those.
As a kid, a Belgium Browning takedown 22 auto. Have had two since then, traded away .
When I was in my early 20’s, I bought a Winchester model 54 carbine in 30-06, a guy talked me out of it a few years after I bought it . Always regretted getting rid of it , but lucked into another just a few years ago !
I’ve wanted an MP-40 ever since I saw the “Big Red One” with Lee Marvin as a kid. I still don’t have one.
win 1895 in .30 US Army,
Colt New Service in .45 Colt,
lightweight 1886 in .33 Win with shotgun butt,
S&W kit gun,
model 94 in 25-35
model 700 in 7mm Express

weird kid....
Remington Nylon 66. Probably because they were different, back in the day, as I drooled over one in the local hardware store.

In my old age, prefer pretty wood and blued barrel's.
An 8" python (Royal Blue) got one for christmas 1981... A Win 70 supergrade in 30-06 with outstanding wood... got one... A Win 70 featherweight in 7x57 and 280 rem... got them... A NIB Colt SAA 5 1/2" in 38-40 color case & blue of course... don't have... A NIB Colt 1911 combat commander in 38 super... don't have...
Uzi.
GUNS YOU WANTED AS A KID ( AND NOW HAVE- OR DON'T HAVE)

I HAD A PRETTY BIG WANTER - I LIMITED THESE TO ONES I WANTED WHEN I WAS UNDER 18.
(NOW HAVE) - I HAVE GIVEN A FEW OF THESE AWAY TO MY KIDS BUT I STILL FEEL I HAVE THEM)
SAVAGE 1899 .250-3000- TD,
WINCHESTER .30 CARBINE,
MAUSER 98 7X61 MM SHARPE & HART SUPER,
MAUSER 98 .308 NORMA MAG,
MAUSER 98K .35 WHELEN,
MAUSER 1894 6.5 X 55 CARBINE,
WINCHESTER PRE-WAR MODEL 70 .30 GOVT '06,
WINCHESTER PRE 64 MODEL 70 FW, .30-06,
ITHACA 37 20 GAUGE WITH VENT RIB, SMOOTH BORE DEERSLAYER, AND RIFLED DEERSLAYER BARRELS,
ITHACA 37 12 GAUGE WITH VENT RIB, SMOOTH BORE DEERSLAYER, AND RIFLED DEERSLAYER BARRELS,
SAVAGE MODEL 24, .22 WMR OVER 3" 20 GAUGE,
RUGER SINGLE SIX .22 LR/.22 WMR REVOLVER,
RUGER STD AUTO .22 LR,
MARLIN 39 MOUNTIE .22 LR
WINCHESTER 1885 HI-WALL, .45-70
S&W KIT GUNS IN .22 LR AND .22 WMR,

(DON'T HAVE) -
WINCHESTER 1894 SRC .25-35,
WINCHESTER 1886 UL .33 WCF,
BROWNING HI-POWER 9 MM,
SAVAGE 99F .308 WINCHESTER
PRE-64 MODEL 70 .270 WINCHESTER
S&W K-22 AND K-38 IN .22 LR AND .38 SPECIAL
I wanted a vierling but never got one. I'll never be able to afford one.

Had lots of gun wants when I was young. Accumulated most of them later in life when I could afford them. Gov 45 Auto was always near the top as I shot my first one as a twelve year old. Took me forty + years to get to buy that same 45. Had owned several others Gov 45's prior to getting the first one I shot.

Pursuing the guns (the hunt) was more enjoyable than owing them. Have never found a 1899 Savage CD that I could afford. "Still hunting" GW
Watched a lot of war movies when I was younger. Vietnam mostly. Not sure why my parents let me watch but I turned out okay.
So I always wanted the old school colt sp1 -- closest I could get to the m16.
Finally got one this year, a 1970 all original!

My other was a python. Still don't have one but when they re-released the anaconda I snagged one and the .44 is more useful to me. So I'm close on that one.
I was 17 and wanted my buddys dad's B92...shot it an worked that butter action...got my own in 1988.... now I own..another...a unfired boxed centennial from 1978:)
Originally Posted by bcp
Llama 22 pistol (mini-1911) in the Shooter's Bible in the 1950's. Still have never seen one.

Bruce

Odd. The Llama was one of my first automatics. My very first pistol was a Ruger Bearcat. As a youngster I had access to a very large parcel of land with a feeder creek/river that ran the entire distance of the property and fed Benbrook lake. The creek was made up of a series of pools, 10-20' wide and the pools would vary in length from 50' to several hundred feet long. Usually the depth was no more than 3 feet. My friends and I would walk the distance of this property and wade the pools. When you reached the end of a pool, all the fish that had scattered would be bottled up at the end of each pool and in a moment of panic they'd dart around you to get back into deeper and safer water. It was literally a manic shooting gallery..., and an absolute blast. I couldn't guess how many cases of .22's I ran through that Llama but 22lr ammo at the time was 3 boxes for a dollar. I eventually lost access to the land as it changed hands when I was around 16-17, which would have been 1966-67. The little Llama was plum wore out.
I had plenty guns when I was a kid but the neighbor across the street from my folks was a collector. He had a Smith Model 41 he let me try. Damn, I could kill more ground squirrels with that handgun than I could with my .22 rifle. I loved that Smith but could never talk him out of it. Still want one but found a Colt Woodsman Match Target that is like new, so I'm happy.
Spas-12 shotgun after watching terminator, got one at 19 as my first self purchased firearm.
'An elephant gun'- read about a 416 rigby when I was 14. My first self-purchased bolt action was a used 460weatherby MkV lazermark at 19.
Also wanted a heavy gauge shotgun, heard about English 8 and 4 gauges guns growing up. Never got one and its likely to remain a childhood dream only.
A Marlin 57M.
I've now got one, and don't care for it (doesn't fit me)
If the kids/grandkids aren't interested, I'll probably trade it off.
My grandad had a Colt Woodsman Sport, 2nd issue. It may be the first gun I ever fired when I was three or four years old. It was sent back to Colt in the 80s and refinished and it came back looking brand new. When he passed in '93 my commie uncle ended up with it. I saw it a few years later, looking very neglected. Sad.

A few years ago I snagged one just like the original for myself. It's holster worn, but looks about like the original did before it was refinished. I like it, but it's just not the same. Wish I had been bequeathed the one my grandad owned.
I always wanted Grandpa's British 303, I have it now, I'd trade it back for Grandpa in a heartbeat.
Was 9 yrs old when a family member opened up a trunk of a caddy and I shot 1 of 2 brought back from a country under the radar.
Loadmasters were able to do that....
Was 22 when me and said family member broke down and cleaned both in his home in titusville before I went to germany.
Was 34 when told by another family both were demilled and are in some VFW,s in Coco Beach or Titusville on display.

I got a walnut ZPAP but it still aint a real chicom type 56s.
When I was 13 I had a paper route and saved for months for a Remington Nylon 66 in Mohawk brown…. Still have it and shoot it 53 years later. Also a Colt Python 6” with the silver Matt Finnish purchased in my 20’s… still have that one as well.
I was 11 years old in the summer of 1966 when I spied that model 55 semi automatic single shot 22 winchester in the rack at OK hardware. Had a cracked stock and needed refinishing, talked to my dad about it. I guess he figured the wood work would be good experience for me and said it was up to me. So I gathered up all my money went down there and bought it $10. The guy at their gun counter knew my dad and looked at me and said " this ok with your dad?" I told him it was, done deal. Carried it home in one hand while riding my bike. Wasn't any gca1968 yet and a boy with a 22 rifle didn't cause people to crap their pants. Still have that 22lr stands ready to hand and still shoots fine. Had it now for 56 years, turned 67 yesterday a guy needs some consistancy in his life . That is some of mine winchesters just keep shooting....mb
I wanted one of those Remington pump .22s with the high gloss finish so bad I could taste it but couldn't afford one at the time. For some reason I never owned one, though I still think about buying one from time to time, just because. Guess I got over it.
I was past being a 'kid' ...... but long ago I laid eyes a '41 Johnson, 7x57 of course......

Still 'don't have' - last one I saw had a tag of $10K...............
When I was a kid, I wanted them all, and I guess I have never grown out of it.....
Originally Posted by Sycamore
win 1895 in .30 US Army,
Colt New Service in .45 Colt,
lightweight 1886 in .33 Win with shotgun butt,
S&W kit gun,
model 94 in 25-35
model 700 in 7mm Express

weird kid....

Very fine choices!! Now the 700 in 7mm express. Borderline weird in my book. But to each his own! 🤣👍.
I grew up in the 50's, lot's of Cowboy's in the movies and on TV. They all had those 20 shot Colt SAA, all my cap guns looked just like theirs.
All the good guys had the nickel plated guns, with Ivory or Stag handles in two gun holster sets.
So to day I have these.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
When we weren't playing Cowboys and Indians, we played War, lot's of Military Surplus available in the 50's so we all had the ammo belts, helmets, and 1911 cap guns.
So now I have these
Winchester Model 92 in 25-20. Still don't have one.
British best style rifle in 275 Rigby
British best side by side
M1 Garand
M14
My old compadre and I went thru a wide assortment of all kinds of military rifles. Mausers, springfields, enfields, etc.

His dad who was also like a dad to me, would say, " I don’t see what you two boys see in them old army rifles! I broke my back laying them in a gutter in Germany just so a Sherman tank could run over them!"

🤣
Lots of things I still might want. But the biggest is a Colt Sauer rifle. Have never cycled a smoother bolt. Still don't have one. No biggy.

Wanted a python. Bought an 8 inch nickel one in the 80s. Biggest disappointment in my life. Shoots off center. Trigger sucks big time compared to smith revolvers. Though I may just tear the SOB apart next year and try to figure it out. Its a shame smith triggers are good and then easy to work on also. Can't bring myself to part with it because its a python but I haven't shot it in 25 years. Just aggravates me when I grab it and try the trigger. LOL
The other was a High Standard Sentinel as I thought they were a great looking piece. A couple of years ago I landed this 22 Magnum.

The top one. Bottom gun was just extra icing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My first rifle was a Winchester 62A because dad had good taste and a gun guy friend who recommended it. Neat as it was watching that action cycle, it ejected out the top and I thought that I would way rather have a 61 with the side ejection. I don’t miss the 62A since I found a 61 at a collector show. Uncle Jack had a Winchester model 12 20 gauge that is mine now thankfully. It points like my index finger out in the grouse woods.
I wanted one of those freon BB machine guns. Never got one.
A nice Drilling or over/under rifle shotgun combo.... in a NORMAL gauge or caliber. Or a double rifle...
I thought my uncles Colt Sauer in 300Wby was as cool as it could get.

No desire today.
Seen my first Dirty Harry movie when I was 14 and needed that big bad 44 mag. At 16 years old I had it, a model 29-2 8 3/8 ths. Got stolen in 2002 replaced it just a couple years ago with another one.
I wanted a lot but lusted for a .300 Weatherby MkV. Never got one, outgrew the desire I suppose.

Another was a .22lr, wasn't even to hung up on which one, but the Remington auto-loader was first on the list. Second was a 10/22. My wife bought me a 10/22 many years later. It was the first .22lr I'd been given. Still have it. Still shoot it sometimes. Have one in 22 Mag as well.
HK Mp5

Got it now.
Have: 94, bearcat, sxs 12 ga., clone SAA (but in 357), flintlock, hawkin.

Want trapdoor, sharps, luger
My uncle was my mentor in all things gun related. First time I ever shot an handgun with any precision was with my grandfather’s K22, busting milk jug lids with regularity. Scratched that itch awhile back with a new production model 17. First time I ever shot a group with a rifle I was really proud of was with his Sako riihimaki in .222 over the hood of a pickup. I’ll get one one day.

Ever since I was a kid I’ve wanted an SAA, still haven’t scratched that itch though. I planned to get one of the USFA clones, but now not sure I’ll go down that rabbit hole or not.
Originally Posted by Muffin
I was past being a 'kid' ...... but long ago I laid eyes a '41 Johnson, 7x57 of course......

Still 'don't have' - last one I saw had a tag of $10K...............

Dude.....
My neighbor has one.
Chilean.
His dad bought it long ago and Randy showed it too me back in 01 when we moved into the neighborhood.
Wpn was in VG condition back then, him or his dad when he was alive never have fired it.

Dude don't hunt, dosen't go out shooting.

If you want I can put out a feeler for you on it.
Worse he can say is yes or no.
If he is interested in selling it, I can put you in touch with him.
Then it's between you and him.

You might be able to throw him a reasonable price he will sell for.

Dunno....
Lol...."as a kid" I never wanted anything but a Remington 1100. By adulthood (?) I owned a couple of guns...a Win 190 .22, an Ithaca Mdl 37 and a Marlin 30-30.

Finally, at age 19, I got my wish...a new in box Remington Mdl 1100. I dont remember how much it cost, but it was a lot to me in 1980.

I didn't keep it very long and have never owned another. And won't.

Great thread by the way.
I always thought the old Savage ads were the best.
As a child born in the mid 60s, as soon as I could walk and watch tv I wanted a Winchester 73 and a colt SAA. I scratched the SAA itch with a Uberti/Cimmaron and tried to scratch it again with a Cimmaron 1873 rifle. That worked out ok, right up until I found an original Winchester 1873 in 38-40 3 months ago lol. Im afraid it wont be fully scratched until I find a 1st gen colt SAA now.
Originally Posted by EdM
The other was a High Standard Sentinel as I thought they were a great looking piece. A couple of years ago I landed this 22 Magnum.

I have one of these. I got it in the Ft. Richardson PX in 1976 for $125. I keep it in my tool bag for cats and snakes. I have always wanted a Winchester 94 but I was never in the right place at the right time. Maybe someday I can get there. I always thought the 44-40 was the right caliber but there is no ammo for it. Maybe a 44 magnum or the old stand by, 30-30.

kwg
i always wanted a ruger single six convertible with the 4 5/8 barrel or whatever that shorter one was. then i got one and realized it had a gigantic front site, schitty trigger and was cumbersome to load and unload, not to mention not accurate. the mag especially. fun gun to look at and fondle but i sold it and switched over to k22's and never looked back.
Remington LT 20 1100, pops made me buy the 12 when I was 12. He said I’d grow into it. Never bought one for me but bought the wife one a few years ago, came with a satin finish and Briley choke tubes.

Remington speedmaster 22, nylon 66 22, Ruger 10-22. Bought the wife a 10-22 and I have a BAR 22 LR that I got new in 1979. Just put a Fullfield II 3-9 on it and it’s still a keeper.
Inside the back page of my Cub/Boy Scout or Webelose handbook was as single shot Savage 22 with a Mannlicher stock. I must have spent not hours, but days looking at that add. Then I found one of those rifles at the local Western Auto store.

I'd visit the rifle often. The proprietor finally told me I'd handled it enough. I couldn't even come up with a deposit, much less buy it.

Fast forward 30 years. At a 1400 table gun show. On the walk down an isle, I saw it, the Savage, lying on top of its original box. As I was walking toward it & trying to be cool while my thoughts were; I've now got the money, & within reason that gun will be mine.

Upon inspection? that had to be one of the most slapped together, cheap, stamped steel rifles I ever saw. Kind of a sad experience, or reality that the past was just that.
Luger P08. Still do not have.
A fine piece of workmanship with a ton of history.

A modern gitter done gat in 9mm? Look elsewhere.
Thompson sub machine gun... still do not have one... I might go somewhere one of these days and find one to shoot...
Originally Posted by Sako
Thompson sub machine gun... still do not have one... I might go somewhere one of these days and find one to shoot...

i think we all want one of them. ever since my old man told me stories of hunting fallow deer in germany with one during ww2.
Model 94 30-30 , Remington 1100 12 ga
My uncles MD 71 Winchester, The 71 has to be the best looking gun I ever held.
Weatherby's
Originally Posted by Sako

Go and shoot one, worthwhile experience
The one I always lusted for and could never afford was "Dirty Harry's" .44 Auto mag.

I think that is the coolest looking gun ever made.
About 1960, when I was 10, was the first time I ever noticed a Weatherby rifle ad in some magazine I saw over at my older cousin's place. Had never seen anything like it with that high gloss finish, high comb stock and all the other embellishments of that era. I was mesmerized.. Stared at that thing for an awful long time. Never did own one that fancy but today I do have a Vanguard in a B & C Synthetic stock. Back in those days my handgun fave was the P-08 Luger that was seen so much in TV & Movies. In the summer my personal carry "gun" was a Luger squirt gun and they really do point well. I wore out a couple of them in a few summers. Always yearned for a real one when I got older but decided against it when the prices got real high. Then in 2001 I inherited the one that one of my uncles liberated from Germany's V-2 Rocket factory in 1945. It had been in his closet for many years and I never knew of its existence until about 3 years before he passed. His son didn't want it so I got the nod for it. That's now a treasured heirloom with a real family history except I can't prove where he got it because he either never got capture papers for it or couldn't recall if he had any.
As a teenager I wanted a Browning T-Bolt (Belgian) .22. I found and purchased a '66 T-Bolt Deluxe on Gunbroker last year that was a factory restored salt gun. It's mint and shoots very well.
Savage Model 99 in 250 Savage, now have a couple, and a 1911, got my 10mm in a 1911. laugh
I always wanted a Marlin 39. The local hardware store usually had one in stock and once even had a Marlin 39 carbine. That was the grail rifle for me. For some reason my Dad was pretty much against having a 22 around and when he said no, that was it....It wasn't until I was in college that I got a 22.

I ended up buying 3 of the 39 carbines and gave them to my sons when they got old enough to appreciate them. I have a Marlin 39 D and always will have it.
Marlin mod 39, rem nylon 66, never got them. Sav 99 now have 4, a Drilling, now have 2, SAV24, got one, never use it. Nice SXS 12 ga, got one when I was 14, loved it, was stolen in 1970 when I was 18, finally bought a Win 21 12 ga skeet in 85, love it. wanted a COLT Woodsman , got one, 1st wife took it when she left, never replaced it. Had one of those LLAMA 22's for a while, thought it was cool but it jammed a lot.
Some great responses. These are the kind of responses I was hoping for. I am finally working on putting together another one I've wanted since I was an early teenager. Always wanted a 35 whelen. I picked up a post 64 model 70 on Monday in 30-06 for $350. Gonna send it out to JES and get it rebored. And then next will be....who knows.
Good for you Bears!!! Keep us posted!
I grew up reading JOC. My first store-bought big game rifle was a tang ruger 77 in 270win purchased in 1973 or 74. I used that one rifle for everything from coyotes to moose for 23 years. Always wanted a nice m70 also in 270win and once FN began making them in SC I bought a super grade. Marvelous rifle, very accurate, everything I hoped it would be. I used it last season to kill a whitetail. One of my grandsons has dibs on it anytime he wants it.
Other guys had posters of heather locklear but I had a Colt Delta Elite 1911 in 10mm… stainless steel, black strimpled polymer grips, and that beautiful red triangle.

Bad

Ass

Haven’t ever even fired one much less bought one.

Another would be a Winchester 94/22.
A BAR , always fascinated me . Shot one a couple times , grinning ear to ear .
Nope , still don’t have one .
Original 03 A3 , got a really nice one , shot real good , a friend gave me a 1917 Eddystone and Arisaka , so I gave him the 03 A3 .
Would trade him back if he offered , but he loves that rifle , so I don’t bring it up .
Nice Winchester Garand , gave that to a young man that cherishes firearms . Sucker has caught up and passed me .
Wish I had snagged a BAR before the prices got stupid , thanks to 68 .
A 1917 beltfed was one that’s still a dream too .
Kenneth
I liked Jack O’Connor and wanted a .270 , Dad gave a model 700 .270 and it shoots lights out I have killed mule deer and whitetails with it and my daughter shot a bear with it. I have always wanted a 870 special field 20 gauge and a 760 carbine 30-06 still looking for these two.

As a 14 year old kid, I spent hours looking at catalogs from Winchester and Remington looking at rifles and ballistics. I was torn between a Remington Model 600 in 350 Remington Mag. or a Winchester Model 88 in .308 Win.

At 14, I bought the Model 88, because the lever gun was much faster in the thickets of Central Louisiana, plus the .308 Win was a military cartridge.

Still kinda wish I’d gotten the Remington.....if for nothing other than the “cool factor”! 😁 memtb
Originally Posted by bbrown
I liked Jack O’Connor and wanted a .270 , Dad gave a model 700 .270 and it shoots lights out I have killed mule deer and whitetails with it and my daughter shot a bear with it. I have always wanted a 870 special field 20 gauge and a 760 carbine 30-06 still looking for these two.

I forgot about the special field. That was another gun that I wanted as a kid. I remember seeing ads in the hunting magazines for it and wanted one. I’d still like one. I bet prices have gone sky high on that model.
My dad always wanted a Winchester model 1886 in 33 win but never bought one, I have had a chance to buy a couple and never did. Now that my dad is gone I wish I would have. If the right one presents it's self for a decent price I may buy it.
© 24hourcampfire