Home
Posted By: blanket Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
Love the smell of them last box was Federal 9's
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
My dad loaded them when I was a kid. Always had boxes on the shelf.

Lots of blackbirds met their maker in those days.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
The last one I fired was a factory Winchester loaded with #5s from an Iver Johnson Companion single shot. It was the last rooster of the season.

I have an assortment of papers from 2.5" 410 to 2 7/8" 10 ga. I just found two 3" 20 ga papers I didn't know I had. Those in not the greatest of shape I take out in the old guns, the others get traded to a collector I know.

I have several hundred Federal papers that I use for field loads, I use them in the semiautos as I hate leaving plastic hulls in the field.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
Never noticed much.

Grandpa left me a box of Remingtons that had a weird material to seal the crimp.

Like a putty or something.
Posted By: pullit Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
The smell of paper shotgun shells and Hoppies #9 will never leave my head.
Posted By: LFC Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
I think what you guys were smelling was the powder....

i loaded them with black powder when I could find them because they didn't melt from the fire like the plastic hulls so you could load them more than once.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
Remington has brought them back, for how long I don't know.
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
Originally Posted by pullit

Same here...l still use Hoppes and I have some paper shells in 12,16 and 20ga might have to shoot some and refresh my memory
Posted By: dubePA Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
Actually they're branded Peters, not Remington and in blue paper hulls. Years ago I had multiple boxes of Peters 20 gauge shells from the 1950s. Shot up a box on our trap range one morning and riled up a guy who collects old ammo, when he saw the empty hulls in the grass.

Got all the ammo, when I bought all the firearms from an old boy back in the 1980s. Still have a box of his Winchester 12ga paper shells.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
I used to use Federal paper skeet and trap loads. You could reload them once usually before you got pin holes around the brass.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
I bought 400 once-fired Federal paper hulls last year. I like them for grouse and ptarmigan.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
I’ve found some paper 20 ga hulls that I load up and shoot partly for the just fired fragrance. Some of the older ones are red winchesters and green Remingtons. The federals are yellow.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
I inherited an Ithaca (New Improved Double circa 1926) from my wife's grandfather and I had it redone by Diamond Gunsmithing out of New York. Lovely double gun. Used it on a bird hunt with Pugs and Hatari and of course with paper shells... Like some of you mentioned, "great smell"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Teal Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
Nice pics Jorge.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
Federal paper hulls loaded with Unique powder duplicate that old school ammo fragrance.
Posted By: Masshunter Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
I started shooting mid 60's when they were just starting to switch, so have a few odds and ends left. I have a full box of Rem 12 ga 6 2 5/8 and about 40 mixed 16 ga 2 1/2 1 buck have fired a few and all went off.
They sure do smell good.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
I've got a few paper hull rounds laying g on my loading bench. One slug, some buckshot and a few bird loads. The bird loads had* the little sticker on the crimp with the load info. No idea what size shot is in them.

Code word: "HAD"! The remnants of the sticker is there.

Loved those old Peters shells. They were the best. My grampa called them Peters "Blue Whistlers".
Remember the mallard drake on the front of the box?
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
My Father would check me out of school on occasion if he had a big dove hunt lined up. He always used the Peters “Pigeon Load”, 2 3/4” shells with 3 1/4 Dr Equiv. 1 1/4 oz of 7 1/2s if he could. Loved that smell and I’d pick them up after ejection from his Rem Sportsman 58.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Paper shot shells - 03/10/22
Old shotguns especially doubles were bored for card and fiber wadding. The plastic wad probably won’t give as good of patterns. Might not be good for the forcing cone.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Paper shot shells - 03/11/22
i still have some old punkin balls and buckshot in paper shells. not sure of the brand. i think maybe monkey wards or western auto or one of them long gone stores. i'll never shoot them. they're up on a shelf at camp along with an assortment of other ammo from the 60's and 70's.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Paper shot shells - 03/11/22
Originally Posted by pullit

I think that is the smell of freedom. May it never fade!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Paper shot shells - 03/11/22
I have some 12,16 and 20 gauge but when you introduce someone to the 12 gauge buckshot it is a good time,they are 3 in shells. grin

They say they never knew they made them back then.
Posted By: blanket Re: Paper shot shells - 03/11/22
When I was young in the early 1960,s my father gave me bushel baskets of paper shells to reload with red dot powder and fiber wads. Man I missed those days
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Paper shot shells - 03/11/22
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Federal paper hulls loaded with Unique powder duplicate that old school ammo fragrance.

Cool. Unique is one of my favorite powders.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Paper shot shells - 03/11/22
Originally Posted by navlav8r
My Father would check me out of school on occasion if he had a big dove hunt lined up. He always used the Peters “Pigeon Load”, 2 3/4” shells with 3 1/4 Dr Equiv. 1 1/4 oz of 7 1/2s if he could. Loved that smell and I’d pick them up after ejection from his Rem Sportsman 58.

That’s a great memory. I took my son out of school to deer hunt. It wasn’t really about deer it was hoping to build similar memories for him.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Paper shot shells - 03/11/22
Fired a few as a 11or 12 yr old in the mid 74 or 75.
Never gave em a 2nd thought honestly after that.
Posted By: krp Re: Paper shot shells - 03/11/22
As a kid I reloaded for my dad, then for myself when I was big enough to shoot a 12, always paper hulls. In the 70s I would load 20 boxes to start dove season, reload that many at least once again. About every afternoon I'd hit the canal bank, citrus groves, maze field, alfalfa fields. Other folks would leave their hulls laying and I'd pick up paper sacks full to reload.

I still have the fix'ns, alcan fiber wads, remington/peters H wads, metal cans of 452AA, 473AA, Unique, Green dot and bit of Red dot, newer federal paper hulls.

Wish I still had some of those old hulls now. I do still have a couple hundred old Peters blue magic hulls from a case of shells I bought in the late 70s.

But there's nothing as fine as the smell of the first paper hull shot first morning of dove season before the sun comes up.

I haven't dove in over 10 years, wife and I used to go quite a bit. The places we went are subdivisions now. Grandkids are almost getting old enough to go so I better go out and find some spots somewhere.

And reload some paper hulls...

Kent
Posted By: test1328 Re: Paper shot shells - 03/11/22
Just an FYI, you can buy NEW Peters paper hull shotgun shells for a limited time. You can buy them directly off of Remington's website. Looks like only 7.5 and 8 shot available for $20/box.

https://www.remington.com/peters-paper.html
© 24hourcampfire