Home
Posted By: thumbcocker New truck - 03/23/22
If you were to buy a new truck today, what would it be? Now this is hypothetical factoring in todays truck and vehicle craziness. I would get a red F-250 regular cab eight foot bed 4wd with the 7.3 and 4:30 rear. Plain jane
Posted By: Teal Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Hard to say.

Tacoma TRD Off Road - color unimportant but not black.
Tundra TRD Off Road - color unimportant but not black.
Posted By: hanco Re: New truck - 03/23/22
A Dodge 3/4 diesel 4 wheel drive. Diesel is more expensive but you get way better fuel mileage. My friend has a gasser Chevy, gets 11 MPG. I get 20 in mine
Posted By: CashisKing Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I am DONE with anything new that the UAW has touched.

DONE!

Woke, broke dic bastards are the death of reliability and trust...

Used 6.7 Cummins something... and maybe the new Tundra hybrid come April/May.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: New truck - 03/23/22
"Last" truck I bought was a 2016 Dodge 1500 with the Eco-Diesel. I dom't pull much, mostly just a "driver", & it gets 30 mpg or better on the highway. VERY happy with it. Truck I traded for it was a 3500 dually Dodge diesel that I liked a lot, also.

Mike Holmes
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Probably a Tundra, color unimportant but not red
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: New truck - 03/23/22
4020 John Deere.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
If you were to buy a new truck today, what would it be? Now this is hypothetical factoring in todays truck and vehicle craziness. I would get a red F-250 regular cab eight foot bed 4wd with the 7.3 and 4:30 rear. Plain jane

After 20 years of owning Tundras, I'd get the same truck as you spec'd, but with either the extended cab or double cab. There's no way I'm buying one of these new abortions that Toyota is calling a Tundra.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: New truck - 03/23/22

For $1500 more you can get an F350 according to a friend who just got one after 9 months of waiting after ordering it.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by Jahrs

For $1500 more you can get an F350 according to a friend who just got one after 9 months of waiting after ordering it.

Not sure, but I think there is something with gross vehicle weight here in pa. Something along the lines of commercial plates.
Posted By: 2five7 Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by Jahrs

The only thing tha money buys in his case is one extra leaf in the back, and a paper sticker with a higher GVWR. The 7.3 gas trucks with 4.30 gears already get the Dana M275 axle that the F350 has. Everything else is mechanically identical.
Posted By: JPro Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I'd probably spec out a 2022 F150 XL Supercrew 4x4 in Stone Gray (metallic brown). Swap for some dark gray alloys w/ all terrains and mount a winch in a black grill guard up front. 400hp/500ft-lb 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed auto.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For grins, I built one online with the following add-ons:

Engine/trans upgrade
FX4 offroad package with 3.55 locking axle
Upgraded interior equipment group
Trailer towing package with hitch and trailer brake control
36 gallon fuel tank
2kw onboard power source
Cloth front buckets with console +flip out work surface and vinyl flooring

$50,810 sticker price

I like my 2020 white XLT version of the same and I got a good deal on it before the prices jumped, but if I was starting over, I like the earth tones and low frills. Still looks good when dirty.

Posted By: tikkanut Re: New truck - 03/23/22

Regular cab ?

Thinking a 4 dr crew & short bed just makes more sense for my uses

Along with being more available ?

No new truck in my future....too much $$$$$

my ole Chevy 2500HD short bed crew/gasser turns 20 YO in May

Sticker was $33K cry
Posted By: local_dirt Re: New truck - 03/23/22
4WD 4Runner SR5 Premium XP just like the one in the driveway now.

Or 4WD TRD Tacoma or Tundra of some kind.

Done with Chebby and Foad. Rebuilt a couple of them from the ground up.
Posted By: strikeu Re: New truck - 03/23/22
if you're getting Diesel get a Cummins. I have a 2006 5.9 Dually with G56, and a 2018 6.7 Dually with the Aisin.

I tried that 7.3 route for about a year, it wasn't me. wasn't even CLOSE to a Cummins. that 7.3 goes 0-60 in an eternity. engine is reliable, but it's a dog.
Posted By: LJBass Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
4020 John Deere.

Masochist.
Posted By: dubePA Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Friend finally got the new Chevy 1500 crew cab Z71 he ordered months ago. 3L diesel I think? Drove it to FL and back, averaged over 30 MPG for the trip.

Leather seats/upgraded interior and lots of other bells'n whistles. Only issue, no heated seats and a couple other things he wanted it to have, due to the chip shortage. They discounted the price for the missing amenities, but he'll miss the heated seats next winter here in PA. Mostly because his old truck had them.

Heated seats was something I never cared about, until my last new truck came with them.
Originally Posted by strikeu
if you're getting Diesel get a Cummins. I have a 2006 5.9 Dually with G56, and a 2018 6.7 Dually with the Aisin.

I tried that 7.3 route for about a year, it wasn't me. wasn't even CLOSE to a Cummins. that 7.3 goes 0-60 in an eternity. engine is reliable, but it's a dog.

I think they're talking 7.3 Godzilla gas not the old 7.3 powerstroke.

Had a buddy most recently

His '16-17 Dodge w/Cummins...4 door crew cab

Had to have the entire front end re built (under extended warranty) with only 50K miles

Dreaded death wobble 80 miles from home pulling a 34' 5th wheel

Sold it right after the 5 weeks in the shop

He bought another newer Dodge w/Cummins & only 19K miles

Hmmmm..........Common issue ??
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Hanco: I am a notorious slow and steady driver and my one owner (me!) 1996 Dodge Cummins Diesel 4x4 with extended cab and 5 speed standard transmission still gets 22 - 23 M.P.G. of diesel (highway).
I have just about decided that my ultra-low mileage (128,000 miles) Dodge is going to be the one taking me to the funeral home!
I just will not spend the amount of dollars today that it would take to replace it - plus they are not available if I wanted to replace it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: tophorsecop Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Nice truck JPro, but I think you mean: 400hp/500lb-ft (pound/feet)

As in : pound feet: Torque is usually measured in Newton meters (Nm), or pound feet (lb-ft) – the latter not to be confused with foot pounds (ft-lb), as one ft-lb refers not to a twisting force, but to the amount of energy required to raise a 1lb weight by a distance of 1ft.

400 foot-pounds is the amount of energy required to lift 400 pounds exactly 1 foot...lots of weight lifters can do that, multiple reps too !!!

^^^^^^^^

5 weeks in the shop you ask ?

He was fighting the warranty insurance company on the cost & replacement for the needed parts
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I was told by someone yesterday that my Toyota Dealer is now charging 199 an hour for labor rates.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Extended cab F350 with a 7.3 gas for my daily driver farmer pickup.

I'd go deleted 6.7's for the pickups we use to haul hay and pull trailers.
Posted By: EdM Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Ford F150 XLT 4WD with the 5L Coyote, 10 speed auto, 3.73 gear, small rear cab with the 6 1/2' bed. Any color. My son has an '18 so equipped and it does all I need in a truck.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: New truck - 03/23/22
For starters if I were to buy a new truck, it'd be a real truck like the one I have now. A one ton, long bed, crew cab, 4x4, diesel. I'm pretty happy with my 06 F350 King Ranch besides the fuel mileage. But a dually diesel with 4.30 gears isn't meant to be a grocery getter.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: New truck - 03/23/22
New is not an option here.
Originally Posted by tophorsecop
Nice truck JPro, but I think you mean: 400hp/500lb-ft (pound/feet)

As in : pound feet: Torque is usually measured in Newton meters (Nm), or pound feet (lb-ft) – the latter not to be confused with foot pounds (ft-lb), as one ft-lb refers not to a twisting force, but to the amount of energy required to raise a 1lb weight by a distance of 1ft.

400 foot-pounds is the amount of energy required to lift 400 pounds exactly 1 foot...lots of weight lifters can do that, multiple reps too !!!

Yep. You are right!
Posted By: 257Bob Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I've got a 2012 F150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, shopping new trucks now but there are literally no trucks on dealer lots to test drive so it's really informing myself online, either way, I'll have to order one to get one. At this point it's down to a new F150 XLT mid level trim in 4WD for about $55k or the new Tundra in 2WD for about $50k. I like the idea of 4WD but it's not an absolute and I'm a bit worn out from the tank like ride of my current truck so I like the idea of rear coil springs in the Tundra. I put 2500 miles on a rented Toyota minivan in December and I was so impressed with the car that I thought I'd have to give the new Tundra a look, if I can only find one to test drive. The 2WD F150s look like golf carts, the Tundra in 2WD not so bad in the TRD package.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I bought GMC with a 5.3 and a.10 speed last week. I am going to like it. My whole life I sacrificed and bought less than I wanted. This one is the colors and option packages I wanted. It cost more than I wanted but nice things aren't cheap. I considered other brands, Toyota and Ford, but couldn't locate one like I wanted after looking for 3 months. Don't figure they will be cheaper anytime this year. Biggest thing I tow is a boat just under3000 lbs. It will handle that fine.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
For starters if I were to buy a new truck, it'd be a real truck like the one I have now. A one ton, long bed, crew cab, 4x4, diesel. I'm pretty happy with my 06 F350 King Ranch besides the fuel mileage. But a dually diesel with 4.30 gears isn't meant to be a grocery getter.

Real truck...
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I just bought a 2017 Ford F-150 ,6 cylinder,short bed,47,000 miles ,one owner,garage kept, not 4x4, no power windows or locks from a private party......truck looks new $25,000 cash
sold my 1999 Ford F-150, 6 cylinder,long bed,134,000 miles, fair/good condition, not 4x4.....$2000 cash.
I'm happy with the deal and how quick my old truck sold/price.
I like how the topic always turns to "real trucks", much like "real rifles". Maybe not everybody needs the expense of driving around every day in a 1-ton and only shooting something burning 70gr+ of powder. "Real" or not..... lol
Posted By: BobMt Re: New truck - 03/23/22

ordered a 2022.....f250 super cab 4wd short bed 7.3 4.30 lariat ...my hunting truck...I have other trucks to do other things.

put winch etc on it.....aluminum flatbed ...my dog boxes.....keeping it short as possible....white always......59,000.00.......bob
Originally Posted by JPro
I like how the topic always turns to "real trucks", much like "real rifles". Maybe not everybody needs the expense of driving around every day in a 1-ton and only shooting something burning 70gr+ of powder. "Real" or not..... lol

Ya think? My Tundra sits unless I need it, which is maybe once every couple of weeks.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Well I am in the real truck category. I need a truck to haul and pull. Toyota won't cut the mustard, for those uses! Today I would buy Chevy duramax long bed, crew cab, 4 x 4. Maybe something different, if someone made me a good deal on a Ford or Dodge. Long box is a must, towing 10,000 often is a must. 1/2 ton anything is out of the question..
Posted By: Redneck Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I highly doubt you can get 4:30s in the 250....

added - I am wrong, 4:30 is available in certain configurations.... Wow... Never would have guessed that... Mea culpa... smile
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by BobMt

ordered a 2022.....f250 super cab 4wd short bed 7.3 4.30 lariat ...my hunting truck...I have other trucks to do other things.

put winch etc on it.....aluminum flatbed ...my dog boxes.....keeping it short as possible....white always......59,000.00.......bob

My fire dept just bought a new Ford crew cab longbox.

Plain Jane of course. 3/4 ton.

It was 46 I think.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I bought a 2018 Ford F-150 Platinum. It’s loaded with the little diesel. I like it a lot. But I must be the only one as they have discontinued the diesel option. 20 mpg in town. Hasbeen
Posted By: BobMt Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by BobMt

Plain Jane of course. 3/4 ton.

It was 46 I think.

good price....mine is msrp....bob
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Regular cab ?

Thinking a 4 dr crew & short bed just makes more sense for my uses

Along with being more available ?

No new truck in my future....too much $$$$$

my ole Chevy 2500HD short bed crew/gasser turns 20 YO in May

Sticker was $33K cry

I have a regular cab 2016 silverado now. I'm usually the only one in it. I like the long bed too.
Posted By: JHM Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I have 2 trucks
2000 XL F-250 7.3 Powerstroke single cab 8ft bed 4X4 white 230,000 miles and it still runs strong. I use it to tow a 30ft 5th shell camper, motorcycle trailer, boat and anything else that needs to be dragged down the road. This truck has no frills, manual everything. But it did come with the upgraded headlights and bumpers. I bought it with 7,000 miles on the clock for $27,000.

2019 XLT F-150 FX4 6 cyl eco boost, 10 speed auto extended cab short bed. Ruby Red. 25,000 miles on it now. 6 when I bought it.
Towing package, trailer back up assist, heated seats, 36 gal tank, ect. I bought it on Dec 31, 2019. It listed for $57,xxx I paid $48,000.
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: New truck - 03/23/22

Told the local dealer here last Friday to write me up a quote on a Chevy crew Trail Boss (light silver) that's been sitting on the lot for about a month. I needed to stop Monday morning anyway because some paint repairs they made to my 2020 crew were chipping and they had to fix them. Nice truck with the 6.2 in it. Didn't care for the 2" lift but like I said it's sharp (Blacked out front end).

Ended up going down Monday morning and didn't have to decide, they'd sold the truck Saturday. I was kind of happy.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

Told the local dealer here last Friday to write me up a quote on a Chevy crew Trail Boss (light silver) that's been sitting on the lot for about a month. I needed to stop Monday morning anyway because some paint repairs they made to my 2020 crew were chipping and they had to fix them. Nice truck with the 6.2 in it. Didn't care for the 2" lift but like I said it's sharp (Blacked out front end).

Ended up going down Monday morning and didn't have to decide, they'd sold the truck Saturday. I was kind of happy.

That's the truck I most often see on lots around here. 5.3 tho
Posted By: Buckshot77 Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by hanco
A Dodge 3/4 diesel 4 wheel drive. Diesel is more expensive but you get way better fuel mileage. My friend has a gasser Chevy, gets 11 MPG. I get 20 in mine

The pm costs are what always scared me off of a diesel
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I've been wanting to upgrade to a full-sized pickup from my Frontier, but despite looking pretty hard, I haven't found any of the full-sized pickups that I like enough to swap off from the mid-sized Frontier. There's nothing to speak of, on the local stealership lots, and they can't get anything I want in any reasonable time frame, either.

There's nothing wrong with the Frontier whatsoever, so it looks like I'll hang onto it for the forseeable future, and be happy to do so. I don't haul anything except an occasional deer, so I don't really need a bigger vehicle anyway. The grandkids ARE getting bigger, though, and soon enough I'll have to get a larger vehicle so they can ride comfortably. My King Cab won't get it, no matter their sizes.
Posted By: dubePA Re: New truck - 03/23/22

Don't know it works in MT, but in PA, municipalities and VFDs can usually purchase new vehicles and get the state's fleet discount. Then there are the actual firetrucks. Yikes, every VFD where I live, has to have as much bling as they can bolt onto a new firetruck. The more chrome, SS and polished aluminum, the better.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by EdM

Real truck...

The 1999 F250 with a 7.3 is a real truck also. My dually has close to 340 gallons of diesel fuel in the bed that I'm fixing to pump in my boat. Short beds are for girls and pretty boys.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've been wanting to upgrade to a full-sized pickup from my Frontier, but despite looking pretty hard, I haven't found any of the full-sized pickups that I like enough to swap off from the mid-sized Frontier. There's nothing to speak of, on the local stealership lots, and they can't get anything I want in any reasonable time frame, either.

There's nothing wrong with the Frontier whatsoever, so it looks like I'll hang onto it for the forseeable future, and be happy to do so. I don't haul anything except an occasional deer, so I don't really need a bigger vehicle anyway. The grandkids ARE getting bigger, though, and soon enough I'll have to get a larger vehicle so they can ride comfortably. My King Cab won't get it, no matter their sizes.

Nothing wrong with the Frontier (I'm not anti Nissan by a long shot, they make great vehicles)?

Buddy has a crew Frontier (I actually know a lot of guys here that have them). I get WAY better gas milage in my Chevy crew than he does. He has a 6 mine is a 5.3 V8. It's actually very disgusting to me that they can't make that vehicle get much better gas milage than it does.

Like I said I'm not a hater on Nissan, I think they make a great product.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I buy what I a.lready own 2004 loaded Duramax..pre- .gov requirements
Posted By: dale06 Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Planning to order a 2023 Silverado in June, four door, short box, 6.2 liter gas. Color, white or silver.
Originally Posted by dale06
Planning to order a 2023 Silverado in June, four door, short box, 6.2 liter gas. Color, white or silver.

White or silver for this guy also. Won't own another vehicle any other color, expecially black.

Nothing wrong with the Frontier (I'm not anti Nissan by a long shot, they make great vehicles)?

Buddy has a crew Frontier (I actually know a lot of guys here that have them). I get WAY better gas milage in my Chevy crew than he does. He has a 6 mine is a 5.3 V8. It's actually very disgusting to me that they can't make that vehicle get much better gas milage than it does.

Know a guy with a Nissan Titan - he can't drive past a gas station. HORRIBLE mpg, like single digits without the power that normally would go with.
Originally Posted by Teal

Know a guy with a Nissan Titan - he can't drive past a gas station. HORRIBLE mpg, like single digits without the power that normally would go with.

Exactly and the Frontiers aren't any better. Those little crew cabs (4wd) eat gas like candy.
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: New truck - 03/23/22
2022 GMC SRW 3500HD 4x4 with Duramax if I was going to buy a new one. My 2018 GMC 2500HD 4x4 with Duramax does everything I've needed to do. also, my wife has a 2020 GMC with the 3.0 liter diesel and it's a bad ass little motor for what it is.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: New truck - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by Teal

Exactly and the Frontiers aren't any better. Those little crew cabs (4wd) eat gas like candy.

Precisely why I'm considering buying the full-sized pickup, I might as well be comfortable in a full-sized pickup if it gets the same mileage. A buddy just bought a new Ram with the 5.7 Hemi and he claims he gets 24MPG on the highway, which is better than my Frontier has ever gotten, even when brand-new. I think it's the combination of the big 6 cylinder and the gearing for towing (they all come with "Tow Package" whether you want it or not). They put pretty wide tires on them, too, and that doesn't help mileage any at all, either.
Posted By: devnull Re: New truck - 03/23/22
I have a 2006 LBZ Duramax 2500HD I bought new that now has 151K miles. Every time I look at the cost of a new truck, I think my old one looks better. I haven't been able (yet) to bring myself to pay the prices being asked for a new truck.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: New truck - 03/24/22
A new truck is too spendy for me, but I go and build a truck on the Ford or Chevy website every so often.

Ford F-350 XL (I hate bling and doo-dads on automobiles, so give me a WORK truck).
White
Crew Cab (4-door)
4x4
8' Bed,
SRW
7.3L gas V-8
3.73 or 4.30, Electronic Locking not sure which is ht ebest way ot go with the 7.3L
FX4 package, remove the FX4 decals : AT tires, Hill descent, Skid plates
Snow Plow / Camper Package (+ springs fornt & rear, 200amp alt, rear stab bar
Vinyl bench seats
Rubber floor
Engine block heater, battery heater, and aftermarket trickle charger for battery
Posted By: EdM Re: New truck - 03/24/22
Originally Posted by EdM

Real truck...

The 1999 F250 with a 7.3 is a real truck also. My dually has close to 340 gallons of diesel fuel in the bed that I'm fixing to pump in my boat. Short beds are for girls and pretty boys.

For my needs, and many others I suspect, I would be an idiot to buy a "real truck". Too funny...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: New truck - 03/24/22
I think I'll just stick with my 20+ year old Tacoma.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: New truck - 03/24/22
Never had a NEW vehicle.

Don't intend to either.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: New truck - 03/24/22
Originally Posted by devnull
I have a 2006 LBZ Duramax 2500HD I bought new that now has 151K miles. Every time I look at the cost of a new truck, I think my old one looks better. I haven't been able (yet) to bring myself to pay the prices being asked for a new truck.

One day your lovely 2006 will bite it and the gap between a dead truck and a new one is worse than any increase you are passing up today.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: New truck - 03/24/22
2016 F-150 xl 8' box supercab 4wd 6spd 3.73 36 gal tank 73k bought new oct 16 32.5k white.blends in. Drive my 95 tacoma mostly 249 k and still sweet 4 cyl 2.7l 5spd 4wd...mb
Posted By: SamOlson Re: New truck - 03/24/22
Never had a NEW vehicle.

Don't intend to either.

Cuzzin' what year is the newest vehicle in your yard?

My wife has a 2011 Explorer.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: New truck - 03/24/22
Bought a 2004 Ranger XLT with 92k late last Fall. Have had to fix some stuff (currently the converters), but the thought of paying for a new one makes my blood run cold.

My son bought one of the diesel Chevys with everything and it’s a wonderful thing in every way, but oh my the price. The good news is he’ll be able to sell his Tacoma with 100k+ for what he paid for it five years ago, maybe more.
Posted By: Mwbyler Re: New truck - 03/24/22
No new truck for me, to close to retirement. had a new 2018 f150 with the 5.0 coyote 10 speed and it used oil like it was going out of style. ford ended up putting a TSB out on the 2018 and some of the 2019s with the 5.0 due to excessive oil consumption. got rid of it and dropped back to a 2017 with the 5.0 six speed, did like the 10 speed tranny over the 6. regret not getting the ecoboost now with the price of gas.
Posted By: JPro Re: New truck - 03/24/22
I know a guy that has a 2wd F150 with the smaller (2.7L) Ecoboost and he drives the highway a lot. Gets 24-25mpg pretty regularly. Fairly impressive for still having about 400TQ.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: New truck - 03/24/22
Originally Posted by HitnRun

One day your lovely 2006 will bite it and the gap between a dead truck and a new one is worse than any increase you are passing up today.

Yeah but he can replace the entire drive train for a hell of a lot less than the price of a new truck.
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: New truck - 03/24/22
Never had a NEW vehicle.

Don't intend to either.

Me either, always bought from a individual.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: New truck - 03/24/22
Originally Posted by RJL53

Yeah but he can replace the entire drive train for a hell of a lot less than the price of a new truck.

You can rebuild a truck a thousand times, but it is only new once.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: New truck - 03/24/22
Originally Posted by RJL53

New trucks are nice and I'd like to have one, but damn they are expensive. And I'm not sold on the dependability aspect compared to a vehicle you have a history with, especially the new diesel trucks.
A new engine and transmission installed for a 2014 Ram 4x4 1500 was $15k. Lifters started tapping bad at 320k miles and figured transmission had to be wore out, but showed no signs. I bought my 2006 F350 with blown head gasket and a couple of bad injectors. My son and I put new heads on, injectors, bullet proofed the engine, new brakes, rotors, a climate control panel and probably a other things as needed. I have less than $16k including buying 6 new BF AT tires. Haven't had a issue in 80k miles.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: New truck - 03/24/22
Add in $10k plus in labor costs.
Most folks don't have the know-how to do that.
Over $200 per hour at shops in my area.

Hunting bud did up a F250 Crew gasser. Frame up. One stout dependable truck for hunting land with some rough roads!
Dropped over $30k on a $10k purchase.

I just bought a new truck instead.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: New truck - 03/24/22
I would buy the closest thing to what I’m driving now which is a ‘17 Tundra TRD PRO that just went over 100,000 miles. As it is, it’s about perfect for me. My truck is the family car, my wife’s BMW seldom gets more than 20 miles from home. I can pull my boat, haul dirty stuff around, it does very well off road for hunting and surf fishing and cruises easily and comfortably at 80 or more on the highway. Also, they have been trouble free. I like to buy my vehicles new, then I don’t have to worry about whatever kind of dipschitt treatment they’ve had or why someone felt compelled to get rid of a perfectly good truck at 20,000 miles or so.
Posted By: devnull Re: New truck - 03/24/22

This is not an unknown variable here. Until then, money is saved and allotted for a new vehicle. The two options I see are drive it until the wheels fall off and save your pennies or trade every 4 years and 60K miles. Those usually provide best bang for the buck. Watching people at dealerships leave money on the table is pure comedy for me. The average person has no idea how to purchase a vehicle and try to play 3D chess when you have a trade, financing and a new vehicle involved in the transaction. ...Or, I'm a tight a$$. That's a reality as well.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: New truck - 03/24/22
I have four deposits ($1k each) with a large highly reputable Toyota dealer in Richmond, VA for four new Toyotas. These deposits are for any first available base model "allocations" (Tundra Hybrid, RAV4 Hybrid, Corrolla Hybrid, Prius, Camry Hybrid or Highlander Hybrid).

Made my first $1k deposit back in November (for ANOTHER vehicle) when we actually picked up a 2022 Sienna Hybrid. Three other deposits in January.

The "allocation" process means that IF a dealer gets a car on the books as being built... you can claim it... and it will be delivered 6+/- weeks later.

I JUST (this morning) claimed a Camry Hybrid (that deposit has been sitting for 2+ months). That car will be here in 6 weeks (being built in Kentucky).

Japan built cars seems to be ZERO on the allocation list.

I can decline it upon arrival (there is a 10 page list of people waiting to buy) and get my deposit back instantly.

The "allocation" process with Toyota is a fiasco at present.

Toyota is running at about 3% of capacity.

However, Toyota is the best in the business at the moment on ALL FRONTS.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: New truck - 03/24/22
I just bought a new to me truck, 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie with the 6.4 gas engine with a hair over 36k miles on it.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 2018 Ram 2500.jpg
Posted By: T_O_M Re: New truck - 03/24/22

I just went down that "what do I get?" path. I have conflicting needs. I've been waffling for several years about which to prioritize. The plan was to trade in my Tacoma on something else. The choices were Jeep vs Superduty. Each choice seemed to give up too much of one thing to gain more of the other thing and I kept coming back to thinking that what I had was already the best compromise I could make. Still didn't make me happy. I waited so long that I saved up enough money that I didn't have to do trade-in, I could buy whatever I wanted and keep the Tacoma .. good plan since it only has 90K miles in 8 years which means it has a lot of life left in it. That simplified the choice: Jeep won out. The Tacoma is a crew cab so I'll still have the ability to haul 4 people and I don't take 4 people to the places the Taco won't go, those places are for me alone. smile I won't be able to haul a camper on the Jeep but I do ok camping on the ground in a tent.

So what's on order now is a 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 6 speed manual, 3.6L V6, with some options.

The alternative was .. well, I wanted an F250 but the combination of options I wanted was not available on the 250 but was on the 350, so what I spec'd out was an F350, 7.3L gas engine, extra (not crew) cab, short bed, camper package, FX4 package with 3.73 gearing, and a few other things I've forgotten at the moment. Plan was to put a short lift on it, move to 35" tires to get the axles up a little, and get an All Terrain Campers pop-up slide in camper.

Someday when the Tacoma is tired / unreliable, or when my trailering needs exceed the Tacoma's 6500 pound capacity frequently, then I'll revisit the Superduty. I think it, paired with a jeep, will expand my capabilities leaving me unconstrained with some compromises I've had to make so far.

Tom
Posted By: Sheister Re: New truck - 03/24/22
I got a 2 year old 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 LTZ 5.3 about 4 years ago nowwith about 20K miles and I love this truck. Put a cap on it right away to protect stuff I carry in the bed when I'm going hunting, camping, fishing, or other things.... It rides so much better than the 3/4 ton trucks I used to own that all my buddies (and my wife) always want to take my truck when we go anywhere any more. A couple buddies have older trucks or their buddies drive newer Dodges and Fords and they tell me their back won't hold up to riding in any trucks for long drives hunting and fishing except mine...

So, if I was going to buy a new truck today- which I won't - it would be the same truck set up the same way except for the new 10 speed tranny. My son has a 2020 GMC Sierra with the 10 speed and all the options and it is a great truck. I don't tow enough to justify a 3/4 ton truck anymore and my gas mileage is pretty good for a truck- about 12-15 most days in town and highway driving and around 22-24 on the highway.

Bob
© 24hourcampfire