Home
Dont kick as much as a 835 even with the tweaks I used to do to them over the years with sinkers and wally world bags stuffed in the buttstock and a limbsaver pad put on.
Did the same with the 935.
.670 rhino choke.
Tru glo pro series sights.
Polished forcing cone and barrel.
Ect ect ect for 835,s over the years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice looking turkey gun - good luck tomorrow!
3.5 " 2oz # 6 win LB shells
40 yds.
1st shot out of the 935 ever.
Rough bore sighted on a softball in the back yard about 25 yds away couple of weeks ago.
Happy it was on the money 👍👍👍

Clean barrel on the bench for 2nd shot to give all shots a equal footing/ barrel condition to throw the best pattern it can shot to shot consistently.

Turkey season opened here today. I went out for a few hours, run and gun; no interest at all in that O:dark30, call 'em off the roost bullschitt, did enough of that back in the day.

My turkey gun is a 24" turkey barrel (3" 12 gauge) on my Encore. Probably weighs 5-6 pounds all up. Kicks like a sumbitch. Puts turkeys down real decisively.
Are you limited to 6s?

Season here aint open for 3 more weeks.

Turkey hunting is stupid. It distracts from the plight of the helpless Ukrainians.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Are you limited to 6s?

Season here aint open for 3 more weeks.

No we can use 4 shot.

I just like # 6 Win LB shells.

Like #7 hevi 13.

Like mag blend 5 6 7.

Can find Win LB,s
Originally Posted by slumlord
Turkey hunting is stupid. It distracts from the plight of the helpless Ukrainians.

😬😬😬🤔🤔🤔🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I forgot all about the UKE,s....😔😔😔😔

🥴🥴🥴🤣🤣🤣🤣
Pellet counts back at the house.

I need to try some 3.5" in my Benelli
Most dudes use a .410 now.
Most dudes use a .410 now.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴🤔🤔🤔🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤯🤯🤯🤣🤣🤣🤩🤩🤩🌠🌠🌠
Hearing that one bird around 1130 long gobbling on your dads place.
Kinda got me wondering about poaching preachers son and how many that azz clown has taken off the place over the years.

Im gonna hit you dads place probably mid week and poke around the boundary after a morning hunt.
I use a downes syndrome looking cut out peice of cardboard to outline a turkey head and a wally world 10" plate I bought a long time ago.

Fugg spending money for tgts.....

🥴🥴🥴😄😄😄
Two critters that can make a man tres…uh….poa….uhh….snea…..uhhh….borrow land rights the most are trout and turkeys. Say it ain’t so.

Lots more vital areas in a turkeys neck than just it's brain and neck bones.
Tracheal tube
Esophageal tube
Veins
Arteries
Nerve bundles
Tendons
Ligaments

Just give the back of the boot heel to the noggin while they are doing the curly shuffle to shut em down most of the time anyways.

Or the grab the legs, stand on the head and jerk to break the neck.

No...
I aint never been spurred.
Thats some old wives tale schit AFAIC....
Yes I have picked up many birds that way getting flogged by the wings.
Bringing them to a spot to get their head on hard ground, a rock, or log to footstomp their noggin.
Aint wasting another shell on a bird that just needs its skull crushed.
Doing it on soft ground just pushes their head into the ground.

Haven't even experimented w TSS.
Still have WW HV 4s and some Magnum Blend Hevi shot to use up LOL.

First tom yrs ago shot w reg full choke 1100 mag and 5s, was around 20 yards. Killed a few more and switched to 4s and Superfull Remchoke on 870 supermags ( only ran 3" ).
Originally Posted by shootem
Two critters that can make a man tres…uh….poa….uhh….snea…..uhhh….borrow land rights the most are trout and turkeys. Say it ain’t so.

Lotsa "champ" turkey hunters in TN shoot em off cracked corn and black oil sunflower seeds.
Thats a given..
Feed the hens
The Toms show up.
Just like does and bucks.
Been seeing wally world corn sales happening last couple weeks
Usual bubba phatt fuggs and 20 to 40 yr old something suspects...

Yrs ago in a state forrest reported one clown to a warden 2 weeks before season even started.
Had 4 empty bags of corn and sunflower seeds in his pickup.
Spilled seed going into the woods on his trail.
He had to have heard me stop on the gravel road by his truck.
Dude had a yellow flag marker trail going into his "honey hole"
Gave warden his plate # and exact location.

Warden didnt wanta be bothered is the impression I got from him.
Most TN wardens are checking the block worthless from my interactions with em over the decades anyways.
Id take my bow if I still had my old spot.

Got cocky killin em w shotgun 3 yrs in a row so took the recurve the next yr, hunted 10 days. Never saw or heard a bird.

Went out the following yr, opening day and had 3 friggin toms at first light. Blasted one w 870.

Buddy sold that place

New state ground, aint got one w shotgun yet. Bow would be ridiculous.

Have 10 acre spot close to home, killed 2 there, but its blasting em next to pasture not far from the swimming pool.....doesnt give much of a hunt feel LOL.

And its sneak in and set in one spot only.

No run n gun available.
I like topography and bigger ground.
Kinda like elk hunting in Indiana 😊
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Nice looking turkey gun - good luck tomorrow!

Traded 1k of PMC M855 for it.
Built up profit merchandise aquired from the 9mm Endowment Foundation spring thru early summer 2021.
I like those #6 LB too. As well as the mag blend.

I’m not sure why but I have enough Hevi-shot to last me 25 years. I’m. It sure why or where I bought it all….but it’s there.

Capercallie season opens when?
Wait what?! I thought you were off fighting Russians for Pall Malls or something.

Best of luck tomorrow! Spring to me means turkeys and walleye. Our turkey season starts three weeks from tomorrow. The inland walleye season and our towns “Walleye Festival” is the following weekend. Good times.
Ftcky has been cut to 2 weeks down from 6 weeks due to a major training exercise.
Limit is 2 birds on post.

Probably not gonna be alot of hunters buying their permit because of that.
Which is fine by me.
Also be alot more older birds next yr from this also.

TN last till mid may.

Focus next 3 days on post.
Closed to hunting tuesdays and wensdays.

Basically a 11 day season this year.
They couldnt even make a acception to policy and open it tue and wens for those extra 4 days after cutting the season by 4 weeks.

Ever since Isportsman became the norm 5 yrs ago DOD wide.
The faceless little entities running it just go with the flow and get paid.
No more bio data gathered on deer or turkey kills in person at tagging shack.
Electronic check in of kills.
0 hunting and fishing unit staff employed anymore doing surveys or field work.
It has been magnified by the convenient. Gov worker C19 excuse to do the least for the most $ also....

First tom yrs ago shot w reg full choke 1100 mag and 5s, was around 20 yards. Killed a few more and switched to 4s and Superfull Remchoke on 870 supermags ( only ran 3" ).

Been playing with TSS in .410 and 20ga for a year, but doubt it’s a big advantage for 12s at ordinary ranges; might even be too much of a good thing. Those patterns from rene50’s gun are scary-good.

The TSS I have, Apex and Federal, was purchased in 2020 and last year. Looks like this year’s prices are up maybe 50%!
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Been playing with TSS in .410 and 20ga for a year, but doubt it’s a big advantage for 12s at ordinary ranges; might even be too much of a good thing. Those patterns from rene50’s gun are scary-good.

The TSS I have, Apex and Federal, was purchased in 2020 and last year. Looks like this year’s prices are up maybe 50%!

I like TSS shot also. Sounds like fun chasing them with a .410 loaded up with it. I stick with a plain Jane Rem 870 Express 12 gauge and Pure Gold turkey choke. I’m not sure that TSS is a big advantage either but it does extend my range by a few yards when they hang up right on the edges. I’m comfortable out to 50 yards. For the amount of shooting I do at turkeys I bought a few boxes of Federal TSS a few years back to pattern with and it will last me several years. I haven’t priced it recently.
Good luck tomorrow Rene
Good luck, kill turkeys, piss on the other noise.
Good luck Rene !

I like tss. I use a tss choke too. works well at longer ranges. dang expensive though and hard to find at times

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Keep em or throw them in the ditch Ren?
Originally Posted by Raferman

If I recall correctly, Slum was the only one that claimed he ditched them.
Rene would at least feed them to his dog.

I quit shooting them years ago, because the ones here in N TX taste nasty as hell. When you’d clean them, they’d be chock full of grasshoppers.
Originally Posted by renegade50

Tracheal tube
Esophageal tube
Veins
Arteries
Nerve bundles
Tendons
Ligaments

Just give the back of the boot heel to the noggin while they are doing the curly shuffle to shut em down most of the time anyways.

No...
Bringing them to a spot to get their head on hard ground, a rock, or log to footstomp their noggin.

Pretty technical patterning there Rene... I just figure the furthest distance I can put six pellets in a beer can is max range for that load and gun.
Originally Posted by cra1948

Tracheal tube
Esophageal tube
Veins
Arteries
Nerve bundles
Tendons
Ligaments

No...

Pretty technical patterning there Rene... I just figure the furthest distance I can put six pellets in a beer can is max range for that load and gun.

LOL. Yep. Minute of beer can was my target Media when I first started patterning shotguns in HS. 🤠

Best shot I ever made on a Turkey was in HS. Took my cousin on his first Turkey Hunt, as he was a couple of years younger than me. He missed with his Dad’s old model 12 Full Choke Winchester. The Turkey took off flying straight away from us and I downed him mid flight at about 70 yards with my 94 30-30.
He thought it was a hell of a shot. I thought I was just damn lucky. 😬
Originally Posted by goalie
I need to try some 3.5" in my Benelli

I bought some 3 1///2 inch turkey loads once, for no good reason. Guess maybe I was thinking duck gun (Beretta Extrema) for fall run and gun.... Always used a double or my "turkey gun" when spring hunting. Coming back from dropping the kids at school one morning, bunch of turkeys in the neighbor's lawn when I drove by, fall season open (common driveway and neighbor is since childhood hunting/fishing/general mischief good friend), so..... pulled into the yard, got my duck gun out of the safe and filled it with those 3 1/2" Federal super turkey loads. Walked back out the driveway; when the turkeys saw me coming the took off running across in front of me about 40 yards out...swung on one, bam! dropped like a rock. Surprised me...figured at that distance I might have to shoot twice or run up and break its neck...swung on another, probably 10 yards further...bam! same result.
Originally Posted by ribka

I like tss. I use a tss choke too. works well at longer ranges. dang expensive though and hard to find at times

They had them at PSA the other day when I was there. Somehow, I just can't see myself pulling the trigger on a $12 shotgun shell. Somehow, I've gotten by for over 40 years with lead 2's, 4's, 5's.... guess I'll stick with it. If I need more range I'll use my .25-20.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I quit shooting them years ago, because the ones here in N TX taste nasty as hell. When you’d clean them, they’d be chock full of grasshoppers.

Gave the breast to the dogs

Cookie, Blackjack, and Rico loved raw turkey breast.
Those 3 dogs are gone.
My dogs solely loyal to me.

Baylor and Brady are the ones now.

Wife and Daughters dogs.
Not loyal to me as soon as one of the women get home.
It's like screw you dude I want upstairs with the ladies.
So I gotta give em it on the sly.
They treat them 2 like dietary controlled lab rats.

If they only knew all the snacks they get from me each day when they are at work.
😄😄😄

Neither have ever had raw wild turkey before.
Be interesting to see how they react.
👍👍👍

They had them at PSA the other day when I was there. Somehow, I just can't see myself pulling the trigger on a $12 shotgun shell. Somehow, I've gotten by for over 40 years with lead 2's, 4's, 5's.... guess I'll stick with it. If I need more range I'll use my .25-20.

Academy had hevi 18 7,s and 9 s
74 buck for a box of 5

Midsouth has the fed tss 7,s and 9,s on " sale" at 69 for a box of 5

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

These Win LB 6,s will kill out to 50 if needed.
28 for a box of 10.
to be honest you'll kill just as many birds without. I found some tss on clearance few years ago at midway.

Turkeys always look so noble in the winter when 500 of them are yarded up in the feed lots scratching through the cow-plops looking for undigested corn kernels.
Ftcky has been cut to 2 weeks down from 6 weeks due to a major training exercise.
Limit is 2 birds on post.

Probably not gonna be alot of hunters buying their permit because of that.
Which is fine by me.
Also be alot more older birds next yr from this also.

TN last till mid may.

Focus next 3 days on post.
Closed to hunting tuesdays and wensdays.

Basically a 11 day season this year.
They couldnt even make a acception to policy and open it tue and wens for those extra 4 days after cutting the season by 4 weeks.

Ever since Isportsman became the norm 5 yrs ago DOD wide.
The faceless little entities running it just go with the flow and get paid.
No more bio data gathered on deer or turkey kills in person at tagging shack.
Electronic check in of kills.
0 hunting and fishing unit staff employed anymore doing surveys or field work.
It has been magnified by the convenient. Gov worker C19 excuse to do the least for the most $ also....

There's not a whole lot done to improve turkey numbers in the state anymore.

Those 3 dogs are gone.

Wife and Daughters dogs.

If they only knew all the snacks they get from me each day when they are at work.
😄😄😄

👍👍👍

LOL. Do they like those peanut butter filled pretzels? 😬

I killed a huge gobbler on a friend’s Ranch in Coleman, TX about 10 or 12 years ago. Wasn’t gonna shoot him, but I was culling does for the The Ranch and this Gobbler chased off all the does at the feeder. So I whacked him with a 7x57.
Took him back to the Ranch House, and my best friend said that’s a huge bird, you ought to get him mounted.
So I hung him up on the gate to the Ranch House, and went in to make me a sandwich. Came back out in about an hour and my friends big ole male chocolate Lab had jumped high enough to get the turkey off the fence and was chowing down on it in the middle of the yard. Turkey guts and feathers EVERYWHERE. My Buddy was really pissed off at his dog.
I just laughed and told him him not to worry about it. His ole Lab has just saved me a big ole Taxidermy Bill. 🤠
I've long pondered why a big bird that will stand and look at you from 10 yards in the Fall will flush like a quail when it spots you a mile away in the Spring.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I've long pondered why a big bird that will stand and look at you from 10 yards in the Fall will flush like a quail when it spots you a mile away in the Spring.

I dunno. I kinda think, based on experiences in the VA mountains years ago, that taking a big gobbler in the Fall, when his wanker’s not running the show, might be one of the unsung challenges in hunting, if sniping from long range is excluded. Flocked up hens and poults seem like pretty easy meat OTOH. Nothing wrong with that BTW.

Those 3 dogs are gone.

Wife and Daughters dogs.

😄😄😄

👍👍👍

I have a sneaky suspicion they will watch for shotguns coming out of the safe in the future.
Opens in Texas also
I have never had an issue using regular #6 pheasant loads out to 50 or so yards, with just a full or even sometimes a mod choke. No fancy "turkey" equipment needed.

Good luck, in any event.
Originally Posted by hanco
Opens in Texas also

Don't forget that our season in Weirgate doesn't open 'til the 22nd.
Well????
Well????

Musta been a bust. 🤣😂🤣😂
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Well????

Musta been a bust. 🤣😂🤣😂

It's a season, not a day though.
Can we at least get an update?

We want pics, or a story about the creepy section you used to hunt, anything besides commies vs NWO globohomo crap

These targets are some very bad news for a big bird!
Still have 10 days to wait here before season opens.
Originally Posted by longarm

We need to see the results on a big Tom.
I shot a 12 ga. 3.5 ONCE
Gotta love any one who benches one
Originally Posted by kennyd
I shot a 12 ga. 3.5 ONCE

So, you're saying I should take video when I try out the 3.5" loads in my Supernova????
3" 20 gauge 1 1/8 oz load of#5s works well for me.
Ren got a lot going last couple days. Scheduling for his knee surgery, pre op stuff.

In addition to his wife’s pre op stuff. She has surgery tomorrow.
I shot a 12 ga. 3.5 ONCE

So, you're saying I should take video when I try out the 3.5" loads in my Supernova????

Video it with one of them head cameras so we can see the full effect. And have the volume turned up so we can hear yore brain rattle.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Back in Alabama I was told for true by a man that knew his business that there was one day of the year when more turkeys were shot than any other. That was opening day of squirrel season.
Originally Posted by longarm

Season is open here. I've just found a few more places to try out from some folks been in the area for years/grew up here. Now I just have to be able to get a full day away from this place. And Dr and Dentist appointments and such.
Ren got a lot going last couple days. Scheduling for his knee surgery, pre op stuff.

Wait, he planned stuff during a hunting season?????

😄😄😄😄

Gotta do what I gotta do brother.

Going out in the morning.
Come back down here visit the wife late morning early afternoon.
Hah that is a fine tight pattern. I'm still using and old Mossberg 500 with a Primos Turkey tube. 2 3/4 inch 1 1/4 oz of 6's or 7.5's and I am good. I can't hardly get a shot over 30 yards where I hunt though. Thinking I should paint the old beater camo.The Copperheads are thick this year already.

😄😄😄😄

Gotta do what I gotta do brother.

Going out in the morning.
Come back down here visit the wife late morning early afternoon.

You know I was teasing. Family before fins, feathers and fur.
I know.
😁😁😁
I shot a 12 ga. 3.5 ONCE

835 with a Pentax turkey scope... On the bench is brutal. I know the hard way
Just to clarify, I meant most family. I mean, seeing my sister or going hunting is rhetorical for me, and the answer ain't sis.
Originally Posted by ldholton
I shot a 12 ga. 3.5 ONCE

835 with a Pentax turkey scope... On the bench is brutal. I know the hard way

I have found, over the years, that the only way to shoot heavy-recoil items is standing on your hind legs. If you have to get a level of precision offhand does not provide, find something to rest over that's high enough to stand up pretty straight and roll with the punch. I can't imagine needing that level of precision to put a load of birdshot where it should go at turkey-shooting distances.
I started to go this morning before work... nope!, I ain’t chasing them in the snow!! crazy
I calculated free recoil for a 10 gauge pump shooting a 2 1/4 oz load (weigh the whole unfired case then an empty to get the entire amount of projectile) and it came up to be in the elephant gun range. Don’t recall the exact number. But that shotgun weighed 9 1/4 lb empty. Seems like the 835 Mossberg weighs around 7 1/2. No thank you.
I still have a 10 gauge H&R single shot I used for ducks as a teen. Shot a freezer full of squirrels with it

Hate shooting that beast now
Good luck on the knees. My stepdad had both his done in the last 6 months.

Damn near bought a 835 ulti-mag last week. Didn’t but I thought about it. grin

I’d have to eat a lot of crow on that one. I don’t like crow.
© 24hourcampfire