Home
Posted By: Redneck 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
......is what Prez Demento is demanding within the next eight years... So, does that equal smaller cars with teeny-tiny engines, along with more and more EEEEElectric offerings and trucks that won't have enough oomph to move a lawn mower? Curious here.

C'mon, NOVEMBER...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
If the embedded Republicrats in DC don't immediately start impeachment hearings after November, we should start primarying every single one of the them.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
And then they will pass a law that says dominion machines are required from county on up
Posted By: Rug3 Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
Originally Posted by local_dirt
If the embedded Republicrats in DC don't immediately start impeachment hearings after November, we should start primarying every single one of the them.

and that office would go from puppet to idiot.
Posted By: grouseman Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
I think I checked the succession list, you'd have to go down to #6 to get to a general, somebody possibly competent.

Harris - impeachable.
Pelosi - impeachable.
Patrick Leahy - who?
Blinken -
Yellen -
Sec Def LLoyd Austin - don't know anything about him.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
What's the Washington DC equivalent of the Bastille? We need to know where to set up the guillotine!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
Originally Posted by Redneck
......is what Prez Demento is demanding within the next eight years... So, does that equal smaller cars with teeny-tiny engines, along with more and more EEEEElectric offerings and trucks that won't have enough oomph to move a lawn mower? Curious here.

C'mon, NOVEMBER...

He is demanding it.
It might become a "requirement".

But one like a stop light.
You are required to stop.
You don't "have" to. Not like it's a stone wall.
If you don't stop, you can be fined.

Automakers will be fined a per unit fine on every one below the standard.
You, will pay that fine.

It's something that's been going on for years.
Based on average, I believe.
Originally Posted by Rug3

and that office would go from puppet to idiot.

Can't justify keeping the buffoon in there. Pull the handle again on fake Jamaican.
Posted By: MD521 Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
Forty miles per gallon

Eight dollars per gallon.

What's not to like.
Posted By: Dess Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
Change the speed limits back to 55. Even if it saves just ONE life it's worth it. Think of all the savings on fuel too!

Uh.....no.
Originally Posted by grouseman
I think I checked the succession list, you'd have to go down to #6 to get to a general, somebody possibly competent.

Harris - impeachable.
Pelosi - impeachable.
Patrick Leahy - who?
Blinken -
Yellen -

Austin may be an even dumber woke aszhole than Milley, and that's saying something.
Posted By: oldhunter49 Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
With the push for electric vehicles, Why worry about MPG?
Posted By: Dess Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
Electric cars should be measured by miles per kilowatt hour. MkWh
Posted By: atvalaska Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
Thinner sheet metal ...u get to skip the hospital and head rite to the morgue
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
I can get 40 mpg with any vehicle you select.
just let me choose the road, travel direction, test duration, etc...

Just like poll results and climate studies cited by MSM.
Posted By: 2five7 Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
Current regs are about 28 mpg average, fleet wide. We are going to require a 42% increase in just 4 years??? Wouldn't this take at least several years of r&d, plus several more years of retooling by the auto manufacturers?

Also, how will they factor electric vehicles in a fleet? Do they not count at all, or do they get credit for 100 mpg?
Posted By: RJY66 Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
What's the Washington DC equivalent of the Bastille? We need to know where to set up the guillotine!

The prison where the Feds are holding political prisoners in connection with Jan 6.
Posted By: broomd Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
Originally Posted by grouseman

He's a woke POS....
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
Oh Thank God, Biden is saving us from ourselves!
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
Originally Posted by Dess
Electric cars should be measured by miles per kilowatt hour. MkWh

Electric cars should be rated by range. As it stands today I couldn't go many of the places I go in my gasoline powered truck. I would have to turn around mid-trip to go back home to "fill 'er up".
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22

Probably the best option would be for concerned citizens to run for office themselves, ala Donald. If you are fed up enough with the same old, same old.....Do something about it and run for office. Nothing is going to change until the people get fed up. It's time to rid ourselves of the current political class and enact term limits. Personally, I don't see the Republicans as being a whole lot better than the Democrats - marginally better, but not leaps and bounds. Get some real choices back into the selection process.....
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
More destruction of America. The democrats won't stop.
Posted By: Potsy Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
We had 40mpg vehicles 40 years ago. Remember the Volkswagen rabbit?
But, now, with ethanol, catalytic converters, and computers set up to limit mileage, tougher diesel emission standards, and lots of other great democrat ideas, 40 is a lot tougher to get to…..
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
I had a VW Rabbit with the diesel engine. 40MPG was routine. Does VW still make the Jetta with the turbo diesel?
Posted By: KenMi Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/02/22
They can just make a 3 mile downhill test track, coast the SOBs and give the government a ride on the middle finger
Posted By: Oldidaho Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
US-93 from Lost Trail Pass south about 15 miles to North Fork, Idaho. 2009 Dodge 3500 Cummins would get 109 mpg on the meter on the way down and 15 mpg on the climb up. 109 + 15 = 124. Divide by 2 for average of round trip, = 62 mpg!!!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
I had a VW Rabbit with the diesel engine. 40MPG was routine. Does VW still make the Jetta with the turbo diesel?

I’ve got a couple buddies with VW diesels. On long commutes they both claim 50+ and hand calculated at that. They bought them right after VW got busted for having the computer run the car different during emissions testing than during driving. Best if both works. Screwed emissions testing and still get amazing miles.

At some point physics takes over and a required fleet mileage is not possible. Like somebody above said, going from 28 to 40 is a quantum leap forward and certainly not possible in just a few years, if ever.
Posted By: Dutch Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
Originally Posted by Potsy
We had 40mpg vehicles 40 years ago. Remember the Volkswagen rabbit?
But, now, with ethanol, catalytic converters, and computers set up to limit mileage, tougher diesel emission standards, and lots of other great democrat ideas, 40 is a lot tougher to get to…..

The guys I've talked to that have deleted their diesel pickup claim they improve mileage 10-15%.

EV's are rated in MPG-E (MPG Equivalent). The Ford Lightning pickup is rated 68 MPG-E.
Posted By: Redneck Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
No - the lawsuits for cheating the exhaust system checks caused their demise.. Wife had a couple of diesel Jettas.. 44 mpg was normal for that car..
Posted By: rem shooter Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
i just saw an old ad for the 1978 Chevy Chevette .it said it got 40 mpg..how come my little work car 2010 Hyundai accent .same size as a chevette only gets 32-34 mpg?
Posted By: Potsy Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
Anybody that thinks all of our great leaders aren’t in the pocket of the oil industry has been drinking MSM kool aid.
While playing at limiting infrastructure and drilling, they’ve been making sure that any technology to substantially increase mileage over the years has been buried or outlawed.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
I had a 1982 Volkswagen Rabbit diesel. 50+ MPG was not uncommon for that beast.
Originally Posted by rem shooter
i just saw an old ad for the 1978 Chevy Chevette .it said it got 40 mpg..how come my little work car 2010 Hyundai accent .same size as a chevette only gets 32-34 mpg?

The EPA rating has gotten tougher to reflect actual conditions.

Plus, remember that we drove 55 mph, vs. 80 now. That's a 30% increase in fuel consumption right there.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22

The Jefferson Memorial would be apropos.

Blood of tyrants, etc., etc.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
Originally Posted by Dutch

Plus, remember that we drove 55 mph, vs. 80 now. That's a 30% increase in fuel consumption right there.

come to think about it that is true ,I usually hitting 80mph on interstate with it ..
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22

come to think about it that is true ,I usually hitting 80mph on interstate with it ..

I doubt my '82 rabbit diesel could've even hit 80.
Posted By: BigFiveJack Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
I knew a guy in the 80s who took a month long driving tour of the USA in a Rabbit diesel, with the wife and kids.
He came back saying 51 MPG was his overall result.
Posted By: Strider1 Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Mine could..... as long as the AC wasn't running!
Posted By: Redneck Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
Originally Posted by BigFiveJack
I knew a guy in the 80s who took a month long driving tour of the USA in a Rabbit diesel, with the wife and kids.
He came back saying 51 MPG was his overall result.
About right.. I sold a Tempo diesel to a friend of mine back in circa '85... He took the wife and kids on a vacation from here to Canada somewhere... The kids asked how far they were gonna go for the day? Jim said he would stop for the night when they needed fuel.. I nearly died laughing when he said they were still driving when it was totally dark outside and they STILL had decent fuel in the tank.. Told me he'd never do that again... I know the ex-wife went from St. Paul to Thunder Bay and back before she had to fuel up... Topaz diesel.. And she sold it for a premium to a minister from the Twin Chitties..

laugh laugh
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
Why is the EPA involved in auto mfg????
Posted By: Huntz Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/03/22
I get 50MPG on my Bike.
Posted By: Redneck Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/04/22
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Why is the EPA involved in auto mfg????
They're also involved in the Ag business; the exhaust system on the CLAAS 970 I run is warranted for five years or "X" hours... Tom said as soon as that expires they're gonna de-DEF that unit and lose all the emissions crap mandated by the EPA....

Gov't is into EVERYTHING....
Originally Posted by Huntz
I get 50MPG on my Bike.
I hear ya - either of my HDs get around 44 mpg... And I'll be using them more this year whenever I can.. Take note of places like Viet Nam, India et al. I would bet most residents use scooters, small motorcycles etc., to get around... Easier to park, thrifty on fuel, easier to maneuver on crowded streets..
Posted By: Dutch Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/04/22
Originally Posted by Redneck
I get 50MPG on my Bike.
I hear ya - either of my HDs get around 44 mpg... And I'll be using them more this year whenever I can.. Take note of places like Viet Nam, India et al. I would bet most residents use scooters, small motorcycles etc., to get around... Easier to park, thrifty on fuel, easier to maneuver on crowded streets..

Can you pull a camper up a 12 mile mountain loaded full of hunting gear to hunting camp with one of those scooters?
Asking for a friend......
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/04/22
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

My VW rabbit diesel had a hard time managing 65. There were times though that I forgot it had a fuel gauge.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/04/22
I get 50MPG on my Bike.

In the winter? LOL
Posted By: worriedman Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/04/22

Can you pull a camper up a 12 mile mountain loaded full of hunting gear to hunting camp with one of those scooters?
Asking for a friend......

No, and that is the whole point, they do not want you to be able to do that...
Posted By: Azshooter Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/04/22
Here is one way to improve the fleet average. Seems counter intuitive to do this to a muscle car. Chevy is introducing say a 3 cylinder engine for the new Camaro!

https://www.miamilakesautomall.com/...o-a-3-cylinder-engine-in-its-new-camaro/
Posted By: centershot Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/04/22
I sure hope the Presidential Limo is required to meet that same specification.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: 40 mpg...... - 04/04/22
Originally Posted by centershot

And Air Force 1 !
I get 50MPG on my Bike.

In the winter? LOL
He didn't say where.... AZ? Easy... Ontario, CAN.? Doubtful... laugh
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by centershot

And Air Force 1 !
And Marine 1..
© 24hourcampfire