Home
Posted By: simonkenton7 Electric Wood Splitter - 04/02/22
I've been splitting wood with a maul for many years. I have injured my hand, and until the hand heals up, I decided to try an electric wood splitter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This is the 7-ton Boss. $639 at Home Depot.
Warning.* Some assembly required. You have to screw in the operating handle. Takes five seconds, no tools needed.

The tail gate of the Jap pickup makes the perfect working height.

We ran it today for 20 minutes, just to see what it would do. These are some big pieces of red oak, 16 inches long. This machine didn't skip a beat, it never even slowed, it split everything we tried. I couldn't be more impressed with this little wood splitter. Weighs 110 pounds.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Electric Wood Splitter - 04/03/22
We are going to be covering those soon in an update installment of Campfire Chainsaw College. 😃
I will standby for one of those 3 toothed, salmon eating, still driving a 1997 2 wheel drive GMC Sierra 1500 dudes to give us their review. 😃

Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Electric Wood Splitter - 04/03/22
Does it store vertical?
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Electric Wood Splitter - 04/03/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
I will standby for one of those 3 toothed, salmon eating, still driving a 1997 2 wheel drive GMC Sierra 1500 dudes to give us their review. 😃

So many to choose from.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Electric Wood Splitter - 04/03/22

Wait a second. I happen to be one outta 3 on this list. Are you advance-dissing the experts here? Shucks, may as well jus' shut ma mouth....
I bought a similar style splitter 15 years ago. It's a Ryobi from Home Depot. 5-ton rating. I've been splitting about 4-5 cords every year. It's been a good purchase, still running strong.

Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Wait a second. I happen to be one outta 3 on this list. Are you advance-dissing the experts here? Shucks, may as well jus' shut ma mouth....

The Harbor Freight one is $300

You can review that one 😃
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Does it store vertical?

You can store it vertical, or laying down as pictured.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Electric Wood Splitter - 04/03/22
they will split dry stuff pretty well. my buddy has one and it does pretty good. i think its the same one. as long as you're not trying to split big green oak or similar it will work. its nice because it is so portable too. i debate getting the harbor freight one for light duty. my TSC 27 ton is a heavy SOB to move around by myself but it has never failed to split whatever i put in it. most of the stuff i do is huge white oak and cherry.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Electric Wood Splitter - 04/03/22
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I bought a similar style splitter 15 years ago. It's a Ryobi from Home Depot. 5-ton rating. I've been splitting about 4-5 cords every year. It's been a good purchase, still running strong.

Good review..
Surprising.

Zero maintenance in 15 years?
© 24hourcampfire