Home
Posted By: Spotshooter Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22

What is worth doing if you go there…. I’ve never through the of going to the UK… but I’m looking at where I want to travel, so far Spain & Paris….

Scotland ?
Posted By: 1minute Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Visit a number of distilleries and sample their best stuff.
I've never been to Scotland but I have seen Braveheart quite a few times.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
For Scotland, Highland or Lowland?
Posted By: GRF Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
It’s brilliant!

Edinburgh castle

Inverness

Culloden

Glencoe

Fort William.

The Isle of Skye

The Orkney Islands !! Tons of Viking and Neolithic history.

Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities if you are interested. Tons of cool hiking.

Excellent variety of beers.

Well worth a trip. I’ll be there this June.
Pretty cool place. Lots of castles. The highlands are beautiful and wild. Edinburgh is cool with a lot of history, visit the castle, St. Andrews if you're into Golf, etc. Do the whisky trail and stay at a bunch of B&B's, eat and drink at the local pubs. I liked Glamis Castle where the Queen Mother was from. Definitely do the Culloden battlefield. You've gotta have a car, it's rural and that's the only way to get around.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

A modern primer......

Glasgow might be the easiest place in the world to get yet a$$ kicked, easier for the natives tho, visitors are cut some slack.
Posted By: Stammster Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Ugly women.

The Norwegians used to boat over once a year for over 1000 years and take back all the good looking ones.

I used to go over 4-5 times a year for work. I was at a bar in Aberdeen, and heard two women talking. I walked over and said, “I like your accent, are you two women from Scotland.” One of them responded, “Wales”. To which I responded, “I’m sorry, are you two whales from Scotland”.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
I drove from Inverness to Cape Wrath back in 2006, to qualify the 5 inch guns on the USS Sullivans and whatever guns HMS South Hampton had. This was at the naval gunnery range there, outside of Durness. It is a really neat, laid back area. Nobody is in a hurry to do anything. A small museum is there dedicated to John Lennon. Smoo Cave was kind of neat too, but nothing too extraordinary.

I'd highly suggest a drive into the Highlands. It looks just like the scenes in Bravehart. There are small castle like structures from medieval times on the side of the road with no fence, no interpretive signs, nothing....in the US they'd be a state park or something. There, they're just there.

One caution (or high point, depending on your point of view). The strip clubs in Inverness have chicks dancing in cages with Rob Zombie playing. Creepy, but they're still hot as hell. A guy just has to be prepared for it, and the dudes drinking in dresses.
Posted By: DMc Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Originally Posted by GRF
It’s brilliant!

Edinburgh castle

Inverness

Culloden

Glencoe

Fort William.

The Isle of Skye

Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities if you are interested. Tons of cool hiking.

THIS, is why the Fire is a great place to be.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Well I've never been to Scotland,
But I kinda like the whiskey...

Not really...can't stand scotch, but you might find some good Indian food. Go!
Kilts!
Posted By: skeen Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

+1 laugh
Posted By: MLC Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Went there in 2014 and hope to go back again. Lot of old history there.
Posted By: johnw Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
I've not seen a lot of Scotland. In and out of Macrihanish a few times, and been a guest twice at a hotel/bar in Campbeltown.

Once went down to the head of the peninsula, where supposedly you could see Ireland. All we saw was haze. Still a beautiful place.

I hear things have changed, but that area used to cater to the Brit military and their guests. The folk I met there are why I do not poke fun at or ridicule the British.
Respect...
Posted By: 673 Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Interesting that the fur trading companies that existed in Canada ,Hudson bay company, Northwest company etc...had Scots as their Chief traders and their explorers were mostly Scots. Simon Fraser, Alexander Mackenzie, David Thompson.
Lots of Scots here in Canada.

There is a reason for that lol,, the last one standing is gonna be a red haired Scotsman....salute.
Posted By: JGray Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
I've never been to Scotland but it's on my short list of places I'd like to see.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
My people on my maternal side hail from Scotland. Been there many times, starting when an infant. My Wee Muther, here stateside more than 55 years, still speaks to this day with a *thick* Glaswegian accent. Depending on what you want to do and see, Scotland can deliver delights and treasures. Know where you're going, however. As Birdy points out, Glasgow, perhaps especially from where my family comes from in the East End, Bridgeton Cross area of 'Glesga', well... be smart and beware lad. There still summas be demons aboot, especially when there's a bloody Rangers/Billy Boys mob assembled. Those lads can get *excited*.

Posted By: logger Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
In 1977 we saw the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo at the Edinburgh Castle. It was a great show. Visited a couple of other castles and spent some time in the Highlands. Very peaceful and quiet - until 4 Harrier jets at ground level popped over a ridge and nearly blew us off a path. Very impressive.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Well I never been to Spain.
Originally Posted by logger
In 1977 we saw the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo at the Edinburgh Castle. It was a great show. Visited a couple of other castles and spent some time in the Highlands. Very peaceful and quiet - until 4 Harrier jets at ground level popped over a ridge and nearly blew us off a path. Very impressive.

During the naval gunfire exercise I mentioned above, the British had a couple of Tornados on station and a British Major who was their air officer asked me if I wanted to run a 9 line. Who am I to say no?
I have no idea what kind of bomb it was, but it was every bit equivalent to what our fighter/fighter bombers carry. 500 lb GBU(ish)? I don't know but I was told we blew windows out due to the concussion.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Lived in England from 1963 to 1966 when my dad was stationed over there in the USAF.... my family toured a lot when we lived over there, all over the British Isles and also on the Continent.... guess it may have been the Scottish Blood I have in me.... there as a lot of places in Europe, and the UK that I loved...

but top of the list had to be Scotland.... by the time I was about 12, I had it in my head that when I grew up and it was time to get married, I wanted it to be a Scottish Redhead.

which sadly didn't happen...

been to Edinburgh tho, many times... favorite times was the Edinburgh Flower Festival.... and that "tattoo" event in Edinburgh Castle....but I think they called it something else back in those days...

I love to listen to Scotch people speak.... we have one at our local Supermarket, who stocks shelves at night.... I love listening to him speak...
Posted By: duck911 Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Pretty cool place. Lots of castles. The highlands are beautiful and wild. Edinburgh is cool with a lot of history, visit the castle, St. Andrews if you're into Golf, etc. Do the whisky trail and stay at a bunch of B&B's, eat and drink at the local pubs. I liked Glamis Castle where the Queen Mother was from. Definitely do the Culloden battlefield. You've gotta have a car, it's rural and that's the only way to get around.

Pretty much most of this. HISTORY. Nature, countryside, libations.

My sister and I got into genealogy a while back. We are ~70% Scottish with a lot of Keith, Wallace, and Bruce tribe blood. The DNA findings were pretty cool and corroborated most of what we had uncovered. . We visited multiple castles and saw, LITERALLY, rooms and halls where our forefathers ate and slept, along with family burial grounds where my great grandfathers and grandmothers lay. So, it was particularly cool for me.
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Not yet but it’s on the bucket list. I did wake up in Ireland this morning and am heading for a couple of days in Northern Ireland tomorrow to tour Bushmills Distillery and see the Giants Causeway. My daughter lives in Roscommon Ireland and with our trip canceled in 2020 due to Covid this is our first trip opportunity since.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Was there on a hiking tour in 1990. The rail we hiked was the "West Highland Way" from Milngavie to Fort Williams. Well that was the plan. We startet in Milngavie hiking north, camping somewhere in the Lowlands not far from Dumgoyne, staying the next night in a B&B in Balmaha, heading north and trying to get some rest in Inversnaid Hotel but no vaccations. Lots of old folks there. We had to stay in out tent at night and were almost eaten up by the midges. The rest was done by train to Fort William, from there by train to Glenfinnan, then heading vor Mallaig, Eilean Donan Castla, Skye Island, with a bus to the Loch Ness (no monster there) back to Fort William,Glasgow and then back home. Almost no rain, I am not kiddin'! Beware of the midges. They are killers. They drive you nuts.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
In '16 we drove all around Ireland as prelude to Scotland. Spent 4 weeks in Ireland amd then 2 in Scotland. Would not waste a minute in Scotland again, but would happily go to Ireland tomorrow.

Many Irish pub crawls where everyone was incredibly friendly inside 5 minutes. Multiple attempts in Scotland and could not engage the first Scot in the first conversation.

Cheap SOBs were afraid to buy anyone a drink! Or accept one lest they feel the need to reciprocate.

Been in a lot of different countries all around the World... no other has been as negative. And Scotch is my drink of choice, over half my blood, and the previous top of my list to visit.
Posted By: MARCEL Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Loved our time there and would go again tomorrow.
IF and when they get travel restrictions straightened out we plan more trips to Europe. Seems a big wish at this point 😕
Posted By: akrange Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
They like to Fight.. Especially when their Drunk ..
I mean Sloppy Drunk..
Flew into Inverness and as I was being driven into town the Taxi Driver said Lad it a bad day to Visit.
All 3 Major Sports Teams lost and their going to be Fighting.
He was right.. Like something out of Blazing Saddles..
The brought in this Special Police Force to clean up the Mess..
Took them awhile.. Hahahahahaha..
Two kinds of weather in Scotland; raining and about to rain.

Two kinds of weather in Ireland; rain and drizzle, which is why it really is green.

England sits in Ireland’s rain shadow, which is why the sun sometimes shines there.
Falkirk. The Wheel.
Glasgow is sorta like Belfast East, descendants of Irish immigrants, Prod and Catholic. Prods east Glasgow, Catholics west. Two soccer teams, Glasgow Rangers (Prod), Glasgow Celtic (Catholic).

When I was cycling through in June of ‘16 there were no road maps on account of everybody used phones. I had never done that yet but how hard could it be I thought; ride north through Glasgow and then turn left, no way I could miss Loch Lomond.

Turns out Glasgow was a friggin’ maze. It was a weekend, the European Cup was going on, everyone I asked directions from was drunk. One lady warned me that if I left my bicycle unattended for a moment it would get stolen.

At one point, pushing my bicycle north up a narrow sidewalk against traffic on a narrow one way street I accidentally knocked over a speaker blaring AC/DC on a chair set up outside a garage.

An immediate chorus of East Glasgow “F*CK, F*CKs” erupted from within. These guys were East Glasgow bikers, wrenching on their bikes. Three or four of them came striding towards me.

Ya gotta understand, genetically I’m 88% Irish Catholic, I LOOKED like a local, and a thumping may have been imminent.

Thinking fast, in the best American drawl I could muster I said...

”Well hey, clearly I’m lost”

On hearing me speak they all stopped, looked at each other and burst out laughing. “What the f*ck are you doing here?” one asked. They became friendly and helpful, interested in my journey, though at the same time eying me like a keen-eyed pack of wolves deciding if I was a rabbit or not.

As I was leaving I apologized for knocking over the sound system. “Och, no bother.” said the guy setting it back up.

Posted By: kwg020 Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
IN 2009 my wife and I went to Scotland. I was on a leave from my job working for Dyncorp. We met in London and flew up to Edinburgh where we hopped a train to Stirling. My mother's family immigrated from Stirling. My 3xgrandfather and his father were both the military governors of Stirling castle. I managed to find the grave of my 3xgrandfather's head stone. Stirling was/is an easy town to walk through. We stayed at a hotel that used to be the only school in city.

kwg
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Been all over the place from Jedburgh to Inverness. From Largs to Edinburgh. Go!!!!
Go, you won't regret it. Beautiful, beautiful country. Lassies walking down the street, one with fur boots and heavy coat, the other in shorts and tank top lol. Never leave home without a sweater and raincoat. Go to the Isle of Skye if you can, two way traffic on one lane roads lol, beautiful scenery.

Mike
Posted By: Torque Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Honeymooned there 20 years ago. We started in Edinburgh, went through the Highlands and ended in Glascow. I loved it all but Glascow. The Highlands were beautiful. We stopped at several different castles and ruins along the way. Edinburgh was just plain fun, but it is touristy. The people were extremely friendly. We stayed the longest in a small town called Uplawmoor. It was definitely worth the travel.
Lived on the outskirts of London in 1990-91 and twice visited Edinburgh.

Scotland is quite different from England. Both are beautiful. Man’s fingerprints are everywhere in England whereas vast parts of Scotland are untouched.

My family attended the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo - one of the greatest memories of all my travel. This is a show of drum & bagpipe corps performing in the forecourt of Edinburgh Castle. I believe 2022 show dates are Aug 5-27.

Here is their website: https://www.edintattoo.co.uk/

Leisurely enjoy walking and shopping on the Royal Mile connecting Edinburgh Castle with Holyrood Palace.

See the Princess Street gardens built at the base of the volcanic crag - the castle is at the top of the crag.

You may want to consider dropping down into northern England and touring the Lake District, especially Lake Windermere. Also the Yorkshire Dales - make sure to go into York, a walled city, and visit the Cathedral. If you go all the way into southern England, visit villages in the Cotswold hills and the Roman city of Bath; skip Stonehenge - it is just a lot of big rocks in a field. About an hour west of London, near the small town of Beaconsfield, have a meal at the Royal Standard of England - an ancient pub that has been in continuous operations for 900 years.

Royal Standard of England
Forty Green Road
Beaconsfield
HP9 1XT
England

Don’t be intimidated to drive - yes, they drive on the wrong side of the road. Which means the driver is sitting on the wrong side of the car, and you shift gears with your left hand. Foot pedal configuration is the same as ours accelerator on the right. I actually prefer the wrong side! Remember that the driver should align themselves in the right side of the greasy stripe in the road. Have your traveling partner act as your navigator. Remember that a right hand turn means you are crossing all paths of traffic - look both ways before turning!

Buy some sweaters and a Barbour coat.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Fly into London. Spend 2-3 days there.Take a small plane to Ireland. Spend 3-5 days there, skip Scotland
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Scotland is a nice place to hunt. They do it differently from most other places, and game is plentiful. It has some interesting landscapes and if you have any liking for Scotch you can see a lot of the landscape by touring their distilleries. Things may have changed due to popularity but last I was there they'd pour you a sample of 30-40 year old whisky like it was an everyday thing for them, because it probably is.

The weather is not my cup of tea so wouldn't want to spend more than 2 or 3 days there at a go.

Definitely a better use of time than Paris. We met some friends there just ahead of the pandemic before heading to my wife's family place. Still some things to see there if you've never been but it has fallen a long way in the last 5-6 years. "Paris is no longer Paris" - Donald Trump 2017.
Posted By: CraigD Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
The wife and I along with our youngest daughter did a week long guided bus tour in Scotland. Outstanding to say the least. The guide was a retired history professor from the University of Edinburgh. Needless to say the wife and I would go back in a heartbeat!

The only downside was that one week wasn't long enough! Our second week was a guided bus tour in Ireland, same thing, not enough time to see everything! The whisky and beer as well as the food was outstanding!.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Fly into London. Spend 2-3 days there.Take a small plane to Ireland. Spend 3-5 days there, skip Scotland

I was in London last week. 2 hours there was way more than enough for this Redneck. I absolutely cannot endorse anyone going there for vacation but if the OP enjoys big cities, rock on I guess.
Posted By: 1sgLunde Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Yes, in1957 and maybe the shortest here. Flew from Frankfort, Germany to Madison, WI. We made a fuel stoip so went into the terminal and bought a bolt of Scottish tartan for my niece.
Here's a link to an online news for Scotland. Might be worth a look for the OP. https://www.scotsman.com/

My surname originated in Scotland around 1263AD. Interesting history there.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Come to Louisiana and swat skeeters and dodge cotton mouths!!
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Originally Posted by GRF
It’s brilliant!

Edinburgh castle

Inverness

Culloden

Glencoe

Fort William.

The Isle of Skye

I'll add Black Isle/Cromarty.

Stirling Bridge/Wallace Monument

Seeing those "Fields of Gold" ah the beautiful barley fields and the smell that comes off them.

Driving the great wee roads thru the Highlands where the next vista is more beautiful than the last.

Attending a real traditional Highland Games.

Having a wee dram of the finest with your B&B hosts.

Scotland was the most beautiful country I've ever seen. Oh, and ya gotta love the sight of sheep grazing in lush, green fields with beautiful stone fences. I was there in 2007 and it's one of the few countries I'd spend the hours in a cramped plane to see again.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
No.
Posted By: Jon_In_Va Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
All Scottish food was invented on a dare.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Lagavulin

Ardbeg

Laphroaig

Bruichladdich

Caol Ila

Ardnahoe

Bowmore

Bunnahabhain

Kilchoman
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
In '16 we drove all around Ireland as prelude to Scotland. Spent 4 weeks in Ireland amd then 2 in Scotland. Would not waste a minute in Scotland again, but would happily go to Ireland tomorrow.

Many Irish pub crawls where everyone was incredibly friendly inside 5 minutes. Multiple attempts in Scotland and could not engage the first Scot in the first conversation.

Cheap SOBs were afraid to buy anyone a drink! Or accept one lest they feel the need to reciprocate.

Been in a lot of different countries all around the World... no other has been as negative. And Scotch is my drink of choice, over half my blood, and the previous top of my list to visit.

Art, our experience couldn't have been more different. Our B&B guy on the first night in Glascow said that Glaswegians were fiercely friendly. That first night in a bar, a gent bought all 4 of us a drink but didn't want to join us. We stayed only in B&Bs and had lots of great conversation and sharing of a dram. We were welcomed at some Highland Games we attended that was held at an estate in a small Highland community. I think we were the only non-locals there. The first prize for the winner of the games was the hindquarter of a Red Stag. I was even lent a shotgun from a fellow so I could shoot some trap there at the games.
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Lagavulin

Ardbeg

Laphroaig

Bruichladdich

Caol Ila

Ardnahoe

Bowmore

Bunnahabhain

Kilchoman

Port Charlotte
Highland Park
Balvenie

Lots of reasons to go there. I will add this. When you go, rent a car and drive yourself thru the countryside & stay at B&Bs. We've done most of our trips this way. We did one bus tour (of Greece) and didn't love it. Rushed from one touristy place to another, hearing the guide drone on for hours on end saying stuff you'll never remember and hanging out with other tourists and not the local people. I drove a small van thru Scotland and we stopped when and where we wanted and stayed as long as we liked. I have no interest in taking a packaged tour again.

ps the B&B hosts will tell you the best places to eat and the most fun stuff to do and see. The tours will just take you to and recommend places where they get the most kick-back. At least that the way it seemed in Greece.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Heading there next year for my 50th birthday. I am Scottish by family line but going for the hiking and Scotch. Braveheart is a favorite as well.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
[Linked Image from cdn.acidcow.com]
Posted By: Jon_In_Va Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/11/22
Cooper57m would fit in fine in Europe.

Originally Posted by cooper57m
First: I am VERY familiar with the EPA. I worked for my state's environmental agency for 30 years and worked in the RCRA program inspecting factories and businesses that generated and managed hazardous waste. We were authorized and funded by an EPA grant. If anyone is under the impression that companies will manage their waste safely and responsibly without persistent Gov't supervision and enforcement you are kidding yourselves. If you had seen 1/4 of what I have seen over the years of companies thinking they could get away with something or cutting corners and putting their community and people's health in jeopardy to save a few bucks, then YOU would be properly educated.

Second: I guess the working definition of a liberal here on the Fire is anyone who dares disagree with the "wisdom??" of the general consensus. I prefer to make up my own mind based on my actual experiences, observations and personal philosophy. I don't march in lock-step with anyone. I haven't voted for a Democrat in any State or National election in about 30 years, I'm a proud member of the NRA, and a CCP holder. Not exactly typical "Liberal" things. But - - I'm not a fundamentalist christian. I don't burn crosses on black people's lawns. I don't believe conspiracy theories floated by Alex Jones or similar nut jobs. And, I don't own a black rifle with 30,000 rounds of ammo and sit in a bunker praying for another revolution to break out and my IQ is >100. I guess for all that, I'm labeled a "Liberal" here. Most people who actually know me would not refer to me as such. But label and flame away!

I know that facts that don't match up with the Fire's bias aren't welcome here but I will try (once again) to help you understand what actually happened to that river in Colorado. To listen to some of the more misinformed here, one would think that the EPA intentionally and deliberately released that toxic, contaminated water from that mine into the river. The real fault lies with the mine owner who created that toxic waste from his operations and who abandoned that waste and left it in a lagoon. The EPA and their contractors trying to correct the situation ACCIDENTALLY released it. Had it been properly managed as required by the EPA in the first place by the mining company, there would have been no lagoon of waste left behind to cause the problem. Read this paragraph as much as necessary to actually comprehend it.

Is the EPA perfect? No. No gov't agency, company, politician, organization etc is perfect. Have they overstepped their bounds sometimes? Sure! But all things considered, this country is much better off having the EPA (created under the Nixon administration). I see the results of their efforts every time I see a Bald Eagle sitting on the banks of the river that I live on. Something I never thought I would ever see in my lifetime when I was a teen in the 70s. I hope that none of you ever find yourself drinking well-water contaminated by the actions of a company down the road and up-gradient of you. But if you do, and if you find yourself having to contact the EPA looking for help, I hope that you can find someone to take your call, listen to your problem and adequately address the clean-up necessary to give you clean drinking water again, because calling the company yourself and bitching won't help you at all.

I would support a magazine restriction over an outright ban on "assault weapons" (I use the term as it is used in the general media, knowing full well that they aren't) rather than a ban on certain particular rifle platforms or on some defined cosmetic features such as the pistol grip. The ability to shoot 20 or 30 people without reloading is part of what allows so many victims to these mass shooting. Smaller mag capacity would require a shooter bent on mayhem to have to stop and reload allowing more time for people to escape and having to carry a very large quantity of 5 shot mags would be a logistic problem. Again, if we ever needed large magazines, it would be fairly easy to get them. The thing that makes these 5.56 mm rifle seem so "powerful" and objectionable to many people is their high-capacity. If it's either give up on high-capacity mags or the rifles themselves - what would you choose?

I know very well that the 2nd amendment isn't about hunting rifles. But I also understand that a citizenry that appears to be gearing up for a war is scary to the majority of the citizens and to the government. If needed, I could take any of my sporting firearms and defend myself or use them to get a real assault rifle. It's how the partisans in France ended up with German submachine guns. We are losing the PR war for the 2nd Amendment and I think there is some blame to be pointed in our direction. When asked by non-gun owners why we need high capacity "assault weapons" they don't want to hear that we are gearing up for what is in essence a civil war. That's not comforting. It's just a matter of time before all semi-autos are banned (as they were in Australia) and we won't have our Rem 1100 shotguns because some felt it necessary to gear up for war.

Most of you are reading more into my posts than what is there. I agree with civil disobedience and I would not recommend anyone turning in their high capacity mags if they were banned. My point is, if a high mag capacity ban means that you get to use your AR etc. with 5 round mags, isn't that better than an outright ban on the platforms themselves, that would make it very difficult for you to transport or use your AR types again? The NY ban on selling "assault rifles" and the requirement to register them, and the ban on high capacity mags have not been overturned by the courts. Expecting protection from the courts is a long-shot. We either try to appear reasonable and somewhat flexible or they will be made illegal outright. If that happens, by all means, keep them and don't turn them in, but that is defiance and not a victory. They are now calling these firearms "weapons of war" rather than "assault weapons." I'm telling you that they are winning the PR war and with every incident that happens, they win more support. It's just a matter of time before the call for a ban is so overwhelming that the politicians will fold on us. And they will!! We can either find a way for these rifles to appear less dangerous or they will be make them illegal. When that happens, I'm all for civil disobedience like we are doing here in NY.
Do yourself a favor and hit Greece. Spain is nice, Paris is way over-rated , UK .. meh. I would rate Athens above all of them, Spain maybe second.
Originally Posted by Jon_In_Va
Cooper57m would fit in fine in Europe.

Ah, Steelhead's new alias. Hi Steely.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Do yourself a favor and hit Greece. Spain is nice, Paris is way over-rated , UK .. meh. I would rate Athens above all of them, Spain maybe second.

I thought Athens was ugly. Lots of old broken stuff and graffiti on everything but the old broken stuff. Then you had the gypsies hassling you. I liked the Greek Isles but Athens - meh. The food was good tho.
Posted By: hanco Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
Went once, it was ok, food bad.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by hanco
Went once, it was ok, food bad.

You didn’t get a Wimpy burger???
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
Scott's whiskey is as close as I've been. laugh
Stationed in Dunoon for 2 years, I had a great time. Beautiful countryside, Highland Loch’s amazing. I loved their fish and chips, haggis, not at all and not a fan of mutton nor mutton burgers. Lo of fond memories from Scotland!
Posted By: g5m Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by GRF
It’s brilliant!

Edinburgh castle

Inverness

Culloden

Glencoe

Fort William.

The Isle of Skye

Yep. Neat place..

Liberal/progressive as all get-out now if that matters. Beautiful Highlands.
Posted By: scrooster Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

What is worth doing if you go there…. I’ve never through the of going to the UK… but I’m looking at where I want to travel, so far Spain & Paris….

Scotland ?

My first wife was British but we lived up in Newcastle not far from the border so we spent a lot of time in Scotland.

I mean there is so much to do and see in Scotland. Do the Scotch Trail for sure. Edinburgh has tons of stuff to see and do. I'm Scotch Irish, Black Irish, Ulster Irish .... the wife back then was British. My current wife is Irish ... dark haired green eyed Irish not one of those nasty red headed acidic tasting freckled ass mean irish women.

Blonde Irish women are okay .... I think it has to do with feminine hygene with the red heads. They use vinegar or something.

Anyways, what were we talking about ...... ? Oh yeah. Scotland.

Some smoke shows in Scotland. If you like dark haired women like I do Scotland is the place and it was no easy task to keep the female bloodlines strong in that country. Still, they're fairly NWO Globalist holier than thou people but it has to do with their wanting to be free of England's yoke.

Loch Ness is a waste of time unless you're going-to-be there for a week or more and just wanna see some pretty country.

I would advise you to do an Atlas Obscura account and find things that interest you and then follow your nose. Get off the beaten path. Don't drive drunk!
"Rodney, get me butcherin' tools!"

😆
Posted By: blanket Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
Would like to visit the highlands, clanmans here
Posted By: Masshunter Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
Back in 86, I did a 7 day hunting trip to Scotland in May. It was for Roe deer and trout fishing, but it had rained so much the rivers were high and dirty so I just hunted. Shot 4 of the little deer, a bunch of wood pigeons,and had a great time 2 nights shooting rabbits with a suppressed Anschuts semi auto 22 . We used Winchester "husher" sub sonic ammo made in Austraila . Didn't go to any cities, just drove to farms and estates where the outfitter had contacts, but one place was way up north where the sun came up about 3 am. The complete trip, air fare, tips, and all came to about $1200. bucks as I remember. Always wanted to go back but other trips, and women, got in the way. I would say go, the country is beautiful as I remember it, reminded me a lot of Wyoming.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
Yes, Spent nearly two weeks there back in 2000. Very beautiful and I’d do it again even the politics have gotten far worse .
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Lagavulin

Ardbeg

Laphroaig

Bruichladdich

Caol Ila

Ardnahoe

Bowmore

Bunnahabhain

Kilchoman

You have good taste
Posted By: akrange Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
They don’t Allow Drink’n till after 5 in the Pubs for good reason .. Hahahahahaha
Posted By: plumbum Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I thought Athens was ugly. Lots of old broken stuff and graffiti on everything but the old broken stuff. Then you had the gypsies hassling you. I liked the Greek Isles but Athens - meh. The food was good tho.

The ruins and museum are nearly incredible. The dogs and gypsies nit so great. Of all the food I have eaten abroad, Greek is my favorite. Fantastic.
Posted By: byron Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
I too would someday like to visit Scotland. I descend from the people of The Isle of Skye through my dad.
Scotland is generally accepted as the birthplace of golf. Walking across the Swilcan Bridge at St Andrews is on my bucket list. If I make it to 65, I’ll do it.
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Ever been to Scotland ? - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Scotland is generally accepted as the birthplace of golf. Walking across the Swilcan Bridge at St Andrews is on my bucket list. If I make it to 65, I’ll do it.

Been to the "island" three times, Ireland was my family's birth place, both Scotland and Ireland are bothe outstanding places, as well as England proper. I would go back in a min. St Andrews is rough in comparison to our courses, but you can look at the North Sea from there. Castles are everywhere.. There history started a long long time before ours. GO
© 24hourcampfire