Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
Did they use a Detroit in that?
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
Nope, but I always liked Olivers:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
It looks like an Oliver engine.
Posted By: LJBass Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
Never owned an Oliver. I want an Oliver 60 Rowcrop something fierce. I have no use for 1, and other bills to pay. But they are one sweet looking tractor.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
A lot cheaper for a restored one than a new Kubota as well.
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by High_Noon

That is a pretty tractor. My dad passed recently and left me an Allis Chalmers D-19 that I think I will have restored.
Rick
Posted By: Squidge Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
We have a Oliver 1650.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
I owned one about 25 years ago, the 550 is a better tractor in my opinion.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
There are a group of Amish here who use tractors as we would use a car or truck. They figure out ways to get more speed out of them, by doing such things as changing rear end gears and transmissions. Years ago, one of them had one of the Super Olivers, and I'm thinking maybe it was a Super 77, and would hook a trailer to it that was made out of an old truck bed. The trailer had the truck rear end still under it, with a PTO shaft that hooked to the tractor. He used it to haul logs, and once he got the rig going, he'd turn the tractors PTO on, shift the tractor to neutral, and let the trailer push the tractor. A local cop clocked him on radar doing 60 in a 45 zone, and ticketed him.

I know this because I remember seeing the Oliver and the trailer going down the road, and also because the Amish mans son left the Amish, and became a preacher who was our pastor for a while. Also, the family was in the logging business, and the son cut some trees for me and described in detail just how his father had fixed the rig up.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
Still have a 77 row crop.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
We have an 880 diesel that Great Grandad bought new. It’s free but hasn’t run in a while. I keep saying I’m going to get it running but haven’t made the time yet.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by Squidge
We have a Oliver 1650.

I have an 1850 with the Perkins diesel.

kwg
Posted By: limofarm Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
I started out driving on a super 55 when I was so small I had to stand up and pull up on the steering wheel to push the clutch down. Dad traded the super 55 in on a 1655 in 1980 that’s still use on the farm. We bought another 1655 and used it a few years before it was traded for a agco white . I forgot I bought a Oliver 77 that I was going to make into a pulling tractor, I wised up on that and sold it. Darrell
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22

What's not to like about that Oliver. Nice!
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
we had a Super 88, a 1955T and a 1850. a 4-155 anda 2-160 WHITE as well along with a D17 A/C a John Deere A, a Farmall M, a 3010 JD, a 4440 JD a 6340 JD and an 8840 JD
Originally Posted by gitem_12
we had a Super 88, a 1955T and a 1850. a 4-155 anda 2-160 WHITE as well along with a D17 A/C a John Deere A, a Farmall M, a 3010 JD, a 4440 JD a 6340 JD and an 8840 JD

The 4440 JD was one of the best tractors ever made. The M, the Deere A, and the D17 Allis were good ones as well.
Originally Posted by RickinTN

That is a pretty tractor. My dad passed recently and left me an Allis Chalmers D-19 that I think I will have restored.
Rick

Back in the day, if you had a D-19 you were considered a big farmer.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by RickinTN

Rick

If you have your dad's D-19 restored you really do need to post some pictures so we can see it. It amazes me that these old tractors endure so long. A testament to MADE IN THE USA.
Originally Posted by JamesJr

The 4440 JD was one of the best tractors ever made. The M, the Deere A, and the D17 Allis were good ones as well.

A farm I worked on had a D-17. My favorite of the older tractors.
If it had just had better hydraulics and live pto.
We used it, along with a WD-45 and Farmall 300, to pull tank wagons around in
Maple sugar season. It wasn't unusual to be wagon axle deep in mud, deeper in snow,
Or on grades that really weren't safe. All were chained, the whole time. The D-17 never
got stuck, and was the only tractor used on the very worst slopes. It always felt solid,
even on the slopes we were afraid to take the other tractors.

I wouldn't hesitate to bet on that tractor against about modern 4wds in our situation.
It had weight, low stance, and low rpm. Slippery hills don't showcase the strong points
of 4wd, high hp/lower weight, higher rpm engines.
Originally Posted by JamesJr

yep. mowed a lot of hay with that M raked even more with that D17. don't even wanna think about how much plowing I did with the 8840 and a 6 bottom.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
Sort of on topic: did anyone else live in a "brand pocket" determined by there being a local dealer of one make? We had an IH dealer in town. 10 miles NW was a JD dealer, so there was some overlap in between. 13 miles SW was an Oliver dealer. For some reason, that circle and the IH circle didn't really overlap; they sort of had a wall between them.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Sort of on topic: did anyone else live in a "brand pocket" determined by there being a local dealer of one make? We had an IH dealer in town. 10 miles NW was a JD dealer, so there was some overlap in between. 13 miles SW was an Oliver dealer. For some reason, that circle and the IH circle didn't really overlap; they sort of had a wall between them.

had 5 tractor dealers in our county. For/NH, 2 JD dealers, Oliver/WHITE/Massey, Case IH, one side of the county is Green, the other is red
No pocket. Farmall/International and JD were popular.
We had a Ford Dealer, A/C was popular, would see Oliver and Minneapolis too.
There were some Fordsons, but they looked so much like Fords it was hard to
pick them out.
Even had a few Cockshutts.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
pick them out.

cockshutts were very popular raound here. still a local collectors club for them
the D17 was a great tractor, but it was pretty much relegated to pulling a rake or haywagos/ [bleep] due to it not having a 3 point hitch
Posted By: bmet Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
To the OP I have had a few Super 55 and I own alot of Olivers what ?s do you have I will gladly try to help
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
I'm just thinking of buying one.
Posted By: bmet Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
good little tractor not bad on fuel power steering is a plus live pto a 30 hp tractor
the D17 was a great tractor, but it was pretty much relegated to pulling a rake or haywagos/ [bleep] due to it not having a 3 point hitch

Forgot about the Fast Hitch setup.

We pulled the small nailer with one. Only if the kicker was broke or we were in a hurry.
A lot of the kids were small, lazy, or couldn't stack a wagon, so I got recruited to go
bail with the farm owner. Bill like to run it in third. The fields weren't glass smooth,
and if it was good grass you killed yourself to hang on and keep up.

Had to do that today, I'd lay down and let the wagon run over my head!
Posted By: ackleydave Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
I had a Super 77 when I was about 20. Good tractor and wouldn't mind finding one again. The neighbor had a Super 55 and as I recall had a lot of problems with it but have no details. Good luck, Dave
Posted By: gunzo Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
pick them out.

cockshutts were very popular around here. still a local collectors club for them

Cockshutt 40 & 50's share the same basic engine as Allis D-17 D's & all D-19's, a Buda inline 6. A great engine that can be heavily modified for farm stock type pulling or just fun. Oliver 88's popular for this type fun as well.

www.tractordata.com is a great sight for leaning about tractor specs, especially older ones. And, to me especially who used what engine, the size etc.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/12/22
We had three Oliver 88 Supers (from the mid-50's I think) on the farm in the 70s. Used them to pull hay trailers, pipe trailers and Gehl "green chop" forage wagons. Great tractors. Dad installed an aftermarket yellow hand brake that connected a long-levered handle to the brake pedal and vastly improved the leverage on the brake pedal and the braking effectiveness. We had fluid in the tires. They had a 6-speed manual tranny and could lug a full green chop wagon up a pretty steep grade.
Posted By: GringoCazador Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/13/22
I have a buddy in South Texas that owns a machine shop. He has two or three Oliver tractors. He’s pretty much restored both of them. Don’t have clue what they are, look to be 60 to 70 ish HP. One was his dads tractor that passed away. Stout tractors.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/13/22
Originally Posted by Tarquin
We had three Oliver 88 Supers (from the mid-50's I think) on the farm in the 70s. Used them to pull hay trailers, pipe trailers and Gehl "green chop" forage wagons. Great tractors. Dad installed an aftermarket yellow hand brake that connected a long-levered handle to the brake pedal and vastly improved the leverage on the brake pedal and the braking effectiveness. We had fluid in the tires. They had a 6-speed manual tranny and could lug a full green chop wagon up a pretty steep grade.

My grandparents had a Super 88. Remember helping my dad get it running, we had to pull it with another antique a Farmall Super A. Never remember it firing up on its own. They probably didn't use it enough to justify a new battery and fixing the charging.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/13/22
This old Oliver was on a consignment sale today.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/13/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm just thinking of buying one.

Wabi a friend of mine gave me some advice on buying an older tractor. If the seat is worn out and it's mounting points and the hole in the drawbar is elongated the tractor has seen allot of use. Pretty simple advice but he was around allot of them as he worked for John Deere for years, I'm talking the old 2 cylinder days.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/13/22

I worked at dealerships as an Allis Chalmers mechanic 15 years. The snap coupler set up was the main downfall. The D17 series 4 had live hydraulics, so they still worked with the foot clutch engaged. Pretty solid old tractors.

Fairly simple old tractors to repair. One of the biggest errors were the engine connecting rods were offset. Folks normally center the piston pins in the connecting rods. (clamp style rods to the pins-not floating pins) You had to set the piston pin out equal to one side of the piston, depending which cylinder, before clamping them down.

If you did not do that and centered the pins, they wore a groove down that new cylinder you just installed. Smoke and filings soon appeared! I saw a couple red-faced machinists come into the shop, after some farmer pulled their engine and took it to the local Napa store for an overhaul. Then they brought it to the dealership for diagnosis.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Oliver Super 55? - 04/13/22
I had a clutch jump out while spraying down a steep hill with a XT 190.
There was a strip of musk thistles the withed of the sprayer boom that summer. laugh
© 24hourcampfire