Home
Posted By: Teal Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/12/22
Anyone here with a Ranger with the Tremor package? 2.3l Eco boost, 10 spd, Fox shocks, leveling kit etc.

Local dealer has a couple and I'm getting the interest in one. Basic truck stuff - pulling the ATV, running to camp, maybe a walleye boat sometime. Off roading for fun etc.

I guess there's rumors of a redesign of the Ranger with help from VW. "someday" - that's fine but I don't know how much I want VW involved in my truck so waiting for the redesign is a non-starter for me.
Posted By: DMc Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/12/22
There's only one cure for "New Car Disease"
Posted By: JPro Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/12/22
I thought there was a new Ranger coming on the new Bronco platform?
Posted By: jameister Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/12/22
i have the ranger lariat package. at 6 foot 245 I need watch enter and exit headbump.

truck tows well, lotsa acceleration power, and carries 1500 pound loads well. have gone to 1850 pounds with no highway problems. milage suffers a bit with heavy tow loads as the little four banger is banging fast.

the annoying start stop at stop signs is avoidable by useing the lower automatic gear function like tow function etc.

would buy another, not sure with the tremor package adds other than macho-ness.
Originally Posted by Teal
Anyone here with a Ranger with the Tremor package? 2.3l Eco boost, 10 spd, Fox shocks, leveling kit etc.

Local dealer has a couple and I'm getting the interest in one. Basic truck stuff - pulling the ATV, running to camp, maybe a walleye boat sometime. Off roading for fun etc.

I guess there's rumors of a redesign of the Ranger with help from VW. "someday" - that's fine but I don't know how much I want VW involved in my truck so waiting for the redesign is a non-starter for me.

Maybe they'll stick a VW diesel in the thing, that'd be cool.
Posted By: Teal Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by JPro
I thought there was a new Ranger coming on the new Bronco platform?

Ranger came out in 19, basically the Bronco is on the Ranger platform from what I understand.
Originally Posted by jameister
i have the ranger lariat package. at 6 foot 245 I need watch enter and exit headbump.

truck tows well, lotsa acceleration power, and carries 1500 pound loads well. have gone to 1850 pounds with no highway problems. milage suffers a bit with heavy tow loads as the little four banger is banging fast.

the annoying start stop at stop signs is avoidable by useing the lower automatic gear function like tow function etc.

I like the slight lift and a locking rear diff.
Originally Posted by jameister

What's a heavy tow load for you?
Posted By: jameister Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/12/22
i do not have a heavy tow load to report on with my ranger.

the 1800 pounds was on pallet in the cargo bed.

I feel a 5,000 pound load on my big tex 12 foot trailer would be max.

the little lariat with its juiced 4 banger is NOT a heavy load hauler by design.

short wheelbase, small 5.5 box,

good for what it is: a truck that fits into my heated garage space easily, and gets 18-23 mpg all the time except with trailer loaded it gets mid teens... using 87 octane.
10-4, thanks. I know they're rated for 7500 towing and I have no interest in something that heavy. 20 foot aluminum walleye boat loaded for battle might be the most and only occasionally.
Posted By: ppfd Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/12/22
Yes sir, bought one back in November.

Took a little bit to get used to being in a small truck again, had an F150 for years.

Plenty of power, I don’t tow anything so I can’t comment on that.

The start stop has a switch to turn it off. Also a program called forscan will delete it.
Only issue I have is this annoying weird vibration at around 10 to 30 mph. I guess ford has a fix for it.

Check ranger5g.com lot of good info.
Thanks for the website hint.
Posted By: Coiloil37 Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/13/22
You guys need to get up to speed with the ranger. Although I get it, your stuck thinking locally and aren’t thinking globally.

This version of ranger (T6) has been on the market since 2011. It was also designed here in Oz, it’s true you didn’t see it until 2019 domestically. It’s got three Diesel engines, three transmissions and around five levels of trim including the raptor here. The Mazda bt50 used to be its twin, for 2023 the VW amarok will be a rebadged ranger and will come off the same assembly line.
Posted By: JPro Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/13/22
If the U.S. Ranger and Bronco are the same platform, I wonder why no 2.7L V6 Ecoboost for the Ranger, when it’s available for the Bronco? I see more Rangers here on lots than on the road. I seem to remember SavageGeese being harsh on the current Ranger while liking the Bronco (Youtube). They are pretty unbiased reviewers.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/13/22
Pass on ANYTHING with the word "ECO" in it...
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/13/22
I'm 6'1" amd 235. After years of driving full sized truck, I don't think I could downsize again. My 2014 F-150 FX4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine has been a comfortable dependable truck. Presently has 86,000 miles on it. The new Rangers are very sharp looking trucks though. Leased a 2021 Bronco Sport (the smaller Bronco) for my wife in September. So far it's been a good vehicle.

Ron
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/13/22

Originally Posted by jorgeI

Great advice…..Ford recently sold their five millionth “ECO” engine.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by jorgeI

Great advice…..Ford recently sold their five millionth “ECO” engine.

And 80 plus million voted democrat. So what's your point?
Posted By: MtnHiker Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/13/22
Jogel,

I was skeptical but having drank the ECO coolaide I like em. Is it a 20 year rig? Probably not but they run like a scalded rabbit with lots of torque. I went from no way to maybe to wow this is pretty good.

Test drove 2 rangers last year and almost went that route. Pretty neat small truck

P.S. we all know it was not really 80 million🤣
Posted By: Teal Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/13/22
I'm looking at the Ranger because for the same price in an F150, you're not getting the bells and whistles. Pretty plain F150 these days for 44k.

And - I don't know if I really need the extra size/space/towing of the F150 either. Granted it's a 5.0 and not the eco so there's that.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/13/22
Originally Posted by DMc

Yup. I had it bad a few months ago. Bought a 2022 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-road premium.

Now I’m right as rain. wink
Originally Posted by achadwick
Originally Posted by DMc

Yup. I had it bad a few months ago. Bought a 2022 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-road premium.

Now I’m right as rain. wink

Dealer had a good looking 4runner but was sold. Kind of a wasabi color but neat roof rack and black rims. SHARP rig. I just want a bed for dead and bloody critters.
Posted By: RicG Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/13/22
At least it is made in Michigan!
Originally Posted by MtnHiker
Jogel,

I was skeptical but having drank the ECO coolaide I like em. Is it a 20 year rig? Probably not but they run like a scalded rabbit with lots of torque. I went from no way to maybe to wow this is pretty good.

Test drove 2 rangers last year and almost went that route. Pretty neat small truck

P.S. we all know it was not really 80 million🤣

I suppose my sarcasm wasn't captured, but having been around jet turbines almost my entire adult life, I don't trust anything that spins at 17000 plus RPMs (turbos) unless they are made to aircraft standards which they are not. I'll stay with my 327/V8. Currently at 409,000 smile and as just say, my miles ARE real! smile
Posted By: Raeford Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/13/22
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I'm 6'1" amd 235. After years of driving full sized truck, I don't think I could downsize again. My 2014 F-150 FX4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine has been a comfortable dependable truck. Presently has 86,000 miles on it. The new Rangers are very sharp looking trucks though. Leased a 2021 Bronco Sport (the smaller Bronco) for my wife in September. So far it's been a good vehicle.

Ron

I went back to an older Frontier[5th I've had] from a Sierra two years ago.
At 6'4", #240 it took a little getting used to but now it's just the normal routine.

I am wanting a new Frontier but thinking I'll give it another year and maybe pick up a used 22.
On a positive note coming home last weekend we noticed way more 'auto haulers' fully loaded with new vehicles than we have see in the past 2 years.
The turbos in and of themselves don't bother me. I've spent my entire professional life around them in the heavy transportation industry.

What's the cost of a rebuild on a new Silverado because AFM lifters failed and bent a rod? New turbo with increased performance and a tune for the Ranger is about 2500 bucks.
Posted By: JPro Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/14/22
Turbos and 10 speeds don't scare me at all. The last couple of new vehicles I've purchased were smaller-displacement turbo options that I preferred over the larger-displacement naturally aspirated versions. Torque curves matter.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/14/22
Years ago, I used to worry about the turbo in my diesel Ford Excursion. Now that I'm approaching 300,000 miles on the original turbo, I don't worry about it any more.

After a hard run in warmer weather, I do give the turbo a couple minutes to cool down before turning the truck off. That's all.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Ford Ranger - Tremor - 04/14/22
My 2004 ranger had a bad case of the tremor package......

Turned out to be a bad MAF sensor......drives great now.
© 24hourcampfire