Home
Posted By: Valsdad Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/20/22
We had to say goodbye to our special little girl today. My wife fostered her at about 8 months old and she was such a fearful dog and attached to her she couldn't give her up. That was 12+ years ago. Katie turned 13 earlier this year. Katie was not being kept right by her breeder and was never socialized, to people or the world, before we got her. She was afraid of airplanes overhead, would hear a police copter and start shaking and looking for the noise (wife lived in a city then), would be terrified of a truck or bus on a walk. Eventually, with a lot of hard work on my wife's part, Katie participated in a full life, lure coursing, agility (she loved tunnels) and even a turn at obedience. She was happy when my wife moved here for work, as there are no police helicopter flying over the house multiple times a day, we live near the end of the road so little traffic, and she had a nice big yard to play with her "brothers" in.

In December or so her blood work showed some kidney issues. Got a script for stuff to help. Wife knew it wouldn't be a whole lot longer though, and had considered a trip alone with Katie just to spend time with her special girl, who was the epitome of a velcro dog when it came to my wife. a couple of weeks ago, maybe 10 days (?) Katie started downhill fast. She's had cataracts for a little bit, now she started losing her sight completely, first in the right eye, then the left got worse. Then her hearing loss started, first high tones, then most everything except loud and low pitched noises. Then she started seeming "lost" in the house, slowly spinning while appearing to search for something. She's always been the fussiest of eaters of our crew, then she started to want to eat in the middle of the night before being able to get back to sleep. She started to lose her balance on occasion also.

We took her in yesterday, he kidney numbers had gotten worse, but the doc seemed to think whatever was going on was neurological, based on the progression of the symptoms. I was the night duty guy for the last couple of weeks, and last night on her midnight trips outside to do her business she nearly fell a couple of times. Wife got up to relieve me around 0200 and also because she was worried and couldn't sleep and Katie was the same when she went outside with her.

Wife made the decision this morning, we had discussed the fact that our girl was not having any fun at all, Katie wasterrified of what was happening to her being lost in her own house even. We had asked if the vet could come out to our place while in the office yesterday, to make it easier on Katie. So he showed up this afternoon while he was out doing other appointments.

We're both pretty sad as we had hoped this one would last a bit longer, my wife is pretty devastated. Her first whippet's passing was bad enough, this one is even worse due to Katie's attachment to her. Me, I miss my Frisbee buddy and always will. And one of her favorite games was "Find Geno", I'd go hide in another room, or behind trees or rocks while out and about and Katie would have a blast looking for me.

Katie at one week old, pic from the breeder, long before we got her:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A little over a year old, just after we got her:

A little over 10 years ago with her favorite ball at the time (long gone now)

My Frisbee buddy, pooped after a long session of catch, 2018:

And just over 8 months ago:

Many of you know how it is and have experienced similar already this year. My heart goes out to all dog lovers, as this kind of thing is inevitable. Doesn't make it any easier:

One final one. Katie doing what whippets do best....................chasing things (2019 I think)

Sorry to hear of this Geno, hopefully there's a doggy heaven.
Posted By: LBP Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/20/22
My condolences.
Bummer.
RIP, Katie.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/20/22
That stinks.
Sounds Like you guys gave her the best life she could have asked for. All you can do.
Condolences
Sorry Geno.
Geno I'm very sorry for your family's loss. What a wonderful life you gave her.

Good girl Katie, good girl.
That makes me sad. I'm sorry.
Posted By: 673 Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/20/22
A beautiful girl.
Geno;
I am sorry to read of this my friend.

Folks who love animals get the mixed blessing of sharing our lives with them, but then having to part with them as well.

It was a nice tribute you made sir, thanks for that.

I'll remember you and your wife in my prayers for sure.

Dwayne
I’m sorry Geno it’s always so hard to lose a good dog but I’m sure that the wonderful 13 years you had with her and your love for a faithful dog is dwarfed by how much Katie loved you guys. She probably couldn’t have lucked out anymore than to be a part of your family.

Please give your wife a hug and let her know that we are feeling for her at this time.
Very sorry to hear this Geno.

I was mowing today around one of my labs’ graves from 2011 and got a little misty eyed today.

Gorgeous dog.....Sorry for your loss.
Slummy, thanks. We'd have considered burying her out back, but too many coyotes. My brother buried one of his in the desert years ago. 4' deep, rocks all over the top of in. He went back a few months later and the fuggers had dug it up.

Aces, I tell my wife that all the time. Katie would have had a difficult time with anyone else given her early life in a crate.

The rest of y'all, much appreciate the thoughts and prayers.

Must be my allergies, eyes are running again.
Dang! Sorry to hear.. frown
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Geno I'm very sorry for your family's loss. What a wonderful life you gave her.

Good girl Katie, good girl.

Second that.
Very sorry to here that Geno. Always tough losing one.
Sorry to hear you've lost your friend. What a bummer!
Posted By: ribka Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/20/22
She is good girl I remember reading many posts about her. God bless
Bummer Geno...
Words cannot express...
Posted By: DMc Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/20/22

Tough duty losing a buddy. Sure looked like a sweet dog. Terribly sorry Geno.
Sad
Posted By: Otter Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/20/22
Geno -

So sorry for you and your bride and the decision you had to make to ease Katie's pain. It is a choice that is terribly difficult to make and kind at the same time. I feel your pain as do so many others here on the CF. (See my first 2 tag-lines below.)

We had to make the same decision almost 2 months ago for our 13 y/o mini-Schnauzer, TJ. We have a 14 y/o Katie starting to show signs of the inevitable aging process and a 12 y/o beagle not far behind, as well.

Remember her as she was and that she will be waiting at the bridge for you.

Good girl, Katie, good girl.
Yeah, they have a way of wrapping themselves around your heart and then one day too soon they break it apart.
Folks who have never known the love of a great dog have really missed out on one of life's biggest joys.
I have one now that I love so much it is about unbearable to think of the inevitable.
Although the bible does not address this as it is written about man (and woman), for man and woman about salvation... but I gotta think that if God made us such perfect companions that seem to understand our thoughts and moods, and know just how to cheer us up and make us laugh at the most perfect times... well, I just have to believe there is a place with Him for them.
My condolences Geno.
My condolences to you and the missus, Geno.

As said above you gave your sweet dog a wonderful life.
What a great girl, Geno. Sorry for your family's loss.
Sad news to hear.

I’m very sorry, G

🦫
Sorry for your loss.

Good girl Katie, good girl....
This is where I think God screwed up, not letting dogs live longer. I feel your pain having to go through it many times. Katie, rest in peace.
I am very sorry for your loss, she was a sweet looking girl, I'm sure your wife was lucky to have her as a pal. It is hard, even when (maybe especially when) you see it coming.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
So sorry Geno.

Good girl, Katie.
Sorry to hear Geno, please give my best to your wife.

Good Girl Katie, good girl.
Posted By: rong Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/20/22
Sux for sure,sorry for your loss
It always is way to short of a time we get to have them by our side.
Looks like she had the best of time burning around the yard.
So sorry, Geno. It's always tough and you and your wife have our condolences.

I think maybe God doesn't let dogs live 25 years because losing one after that long would be far more than we would be able to bear. Tough enough as it is.
Dam, RIP sweet Katie!, All we can do is rember the good times.
Sorry to hear. Condolences
Man, it hurts losing a dog!
Condolences, Geno - and to your wife also.
Very sad. Rest in Peace Katie.
Sincere Condolences, and thank you to you and your wife for providing such a good life to your Puppers
Condolences to you and your wife.

Tough stuff... every time.

I have planted a tree over some of mine... "Cricket" was a red dog and she got a red Dogwood... it is just about to bloom.
It is a death in the family, it leaves a big hole in one's heart.
What a lucky little dog she was! Ending up in your household.

We don’t really outlive our dogs, they take a whole era in our lives with them.

Sorry for your loss.
Sorry for your loss. The hole in your lives needs to be filled when the time is right.

This kinda touched me.
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin

I think it’s harder when you know when it’s coming.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/20/22
Sorry to hear this....it is never easy.
Sorry to hear. It sucks...
You could certainly see the happiness and love on her face .
Dogs are something else .
Kenneth
Posted By: HughW Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/20/22
Geno verysorry to read on the loss of Katie and all the best to you and your wife.

Great memory pictures you have and I will raise a glass tonight in memory of Katie and a toast to the fine home she had.
My heart goes out to you and your wife. Thank you for giving Katie the great life that you did.
I just read this post.
So sad to hear about Kate Geno.
You and your wife gave Kate a fantastic life.
I'm sure she was a Rock Star dog!!!
A magnificent dog!!!
I always admired pictures of her you shared with us.
It is never easy losing a loved pet and many of us know what you and your wife are going thru.
Threads like these are never easy, but it does help sharing your loss with others who have gone thru and will go thru the same.
Dogs and Man..... A long history..

Spring time allergies kicking in on me.....

😔😔😔😔😔
So sorry. Just a gut punch. They love us so much and they give us a little love every day. The bad stuff comes all at once at the end.
Sorry to read this, looked like a good girl.
Good Girl Katie, rest now, forever in peace !

Geno, you know I know.

So sorry Mate !!

Give the Mrs a hug from us.
Sorry about your dog.
Glad your wife gave her a good life. Sorry for your loss.
Losing a best friend is never easy. Losing a pet can be worse. Sorry for you and your wife's loss!
RIP Katie

Good girl Katie
Going through it now with the best little house dog that ever lived…13 years old… won’t eat, needs to be carried around, mostly sleeps…doesn’t seem to be suffering, just fading away. Two days now can’t get the meds in him because he won’t eat. It won’t be long now. I’ve probably had around 50 dogs, beagles, coonhounds, fox/coyote hounds and retrievers. Put down a number of them when necessary. This little guy is different… my little buddy. Never going to have a house dog again.
These are the best and worst threads at the same time. Always nice to hear about everyone’s dogs and their life spent together with them. Hate the feeling in the pit in your stomach it leaves when it reminds of how horrible that loss feels. Condolences Geno.
VERY, VERY, sorry for your loss.
Sorry for your family's loss. Dogs are better people than humans are.
So sorry for your loss, RIP Katie
Sorry for your loss, Geno. Its like loosing a valued family member to me.
Posted By: g5m Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/20/22
Valsdad, I'm sorry for your loss. It's painful losing a good dog.
I am sorry for your loss. But she lived a good life because of the two of you.
So sorry for your loss Geno, it sounds like Katie had a wonderful life.
Condolences
Didn't she play the whore in Titanic?
Originally Posted by jdunham
These are the best and worst threads at the same time. Always nice to hear about everyone’s dogs and their life spent together with them. Hate the feeling in the pit in your stomach it leaves when it reminds of how horrible that loss feels. Condolences Geno.

+1
heartbreaking geno.
sorry.
Sorry to hear it Geno.

But you guys did good with that dog and that's all that matters now.
I’m sorry for you and your wife OP, Katie was a beautiful pup.
Sounds like you gave one of Gods creatures a wonderful life. Good on You and your Wife.
Sorry for your loss. Take Care
Damn, Sorry Geno. I’ll take a dog over most people I know any day.
Brother Geno,
Sorry to hear of the loss of your pup... these critters have a way of getting into our hearts...
Condolences vals. Too many of these lately. I look over at Max on the couch, and realize he's going to be 9 soon. Crap on a cracker.
What a beauty. So sad to hear it. It never gets easier.
Originally Posted by wageslave
heartbreaking geno.
sorry.

SLAVE!!!
Posted By: EdM Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/21/22
Sorry for your loss Geno. As noted, the two of you gave her a great life. We lost our Cocker at age sixteen four years ago and my wife (really her dog) said never again. We are 60 years old. A year and a half ago my wife felt empty without having a dog around. The first was a blue, the second some months later was a companion red. We are a better house with them.

Originally Posted by deflave
heartbreaking geno.
sorry.

SLAVE!!!

He's a dog lover, not like Travis the Hater.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
heartbreaking geno.
sorry.

SLAVE!!!

He's a dog lover, not like Travis the Hater.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Sorry for your loss Geno...it looks like you and your better half really contributed to the greatness of Katie's life.
Sorry for your loss Geno. Losing a pet is never easy.
Posted By: las Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/21/22
Sig line, Geno... I feel for you and yours.
Geno, I am so sorry brother. Damn, dogs truly are family.
Posted By: Steve Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/21/22
Very sorry Geno. Our neighbor has a whippet and our dog really likes her. Hell, I even like her.
65 here .dam the dogs I've said goodbye to.. sorry for your lost
You and Ren50 had a r rough year..
Sorry, Gene. I have no doubt that she was a fine dog. You were lucky to have her.
heartbreaking geno.
sorry.

SLAVE!!!

Paddle harder, Cuban.
Your raft is losing air.
I’d like to get to know you,
biblically. Unfortunately, my name is not Kingston
Nor beav.
So gfy .

Slave

P.S. sorry for the hijack, geno.
It was the foreskin talkin’.
Posted By: las Re: Goodbye to Katie the whippet - 04/21/22
I think my rescue dog Honey HalfLab has Whippet in her. She came out of Bethel, and those Eskimo dog runners like to have the line bred in for speed and size. She has big eyes and some unusually lean/long proportions. She maybe isn't even half Lab, but half Golden Retriever. Dunno- don't care.

She's a fine dog, as are most, any breed.
heartbreaking geno.
sorry.

SLAVE!!!

Paddle harder, Cuban.
Your raft is losing air.
I’d like to get to know you,
biblically. Unfortunately, my name is not Kingston
Nor beav.
So gfy .

Slave

P.S. sorry for the hijack, geno.
It was the foreskin talkin’.

's OK dude,

when Clark mentioned ho's on the Titanic I thought of you. Maybe you could have "saved" a few Vinnie. Hope The Big O dog is doing well.
More thanks to those of you posting here today, it really is appreciated, knowing how much you tough guys care for a good dog.
© 24hourcampfire