Home
Posted By: johnw How Low? - 04/29/22
Will silver go?

I'm not much of an "all in" guy, so I bought some dimes yesterday hoping that they drop further yet. It's a good time to have some liquidity.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: How Low? - 04/29/22
Not below 21.

As long as you are not a very short-term speculator, it is a great buying opportunity, IMO.

Tim
Posted By: Tarbe Re: How Low? - 04/29/22
I bought some 2oz British and 1oz Kangaroos yesterday.

And 500 more Britannia delivering today.
Posted By: Featherweight6555 Re: How Low? - 04/29/22
Bought several pounds of dimes when silver was @ 12.50 or so. You are kinda late, but the liquidity is good!
Small denomination preciuous metals, .308, 5.56/223, 9mm/45 , 7.62x39. All solid "stuff" to have around. Also long term storage food and TP .....Cause ,you know , when it hits the fan ,you got to have something to clean it up with.
Posted By: johnw Re: How Low? - 04/29/22
Actually I sold most of my silver when it surged to ~$44.00 per oz back in 2009 or so. Have been buying the occasional dip ever since...
Picked up $100 face value of dimes yesterday.

If it dips significantly lower I'll buy more
And if we ever see $12.50 spot I'll need a larger safe deposit box
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: How Low? - 04/29/22
Sounds like that might be the only real money in the bank.
The FRNs are in hyperinflation, so I can see why people are trading those in for hard money.
Posted By: Strider1 Re: How Low? - 04/30/22
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: johnw Re: How Low? - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by johnw
And if we ever see $12.50 spot I'll need a larger safe deposit box

Actually we saw prices like that just a couple of years ago. The PM marketers I follow suspended sales and focused on acquisition.

Hard to buy what's not for sale
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: How Low? - 04/30/22
Where do you buy it without getting raped in markup or fees?
Posted By: EdM Re: How Low? - 04/30/22
Posted By: Tarbe Re: How Low? - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Premiums are high on Silver right now....but much higher on American Silver Eagles than just about any other bullion.

Get generic private mint rounds, or shop around for someone having a sale on Kangaroos or Britannia. I usually find the best everyday prices on BGAS.com or SD Bullion. But the others (JM, MoneyMetals, Hero etc) can have sales that might beat the first two on any given day for a particular product. You just need to shop around.

You have to understand that the spot price is a fake number pushed low by naked shorts on the COMEX. The street price for Silver is $4 to $14 per ounce over spot for rounds and sovereign coins (depending upon mint) and roughly $3 to $8 for bars depending upon mint and weight.

Lastly, think of Gold and Silver as insurance, or a hedge. In other words, be a strong hand...hold until you can't. Hopefully you pass it on to your kids.

If you cannot imagine doing that, you might ought to be using that money for paying down bills or buying food.

That is my view on PMs anyway. They are insurance.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: How Low? - 04/30/22
100% on why to buy.

Another question, the cynic in me can't help but wonder...

How do you know you are gonna get silver?
At the percentage it's advertised?
I can hear a silver quarter hit the counter from a distance,
But I can't tell 99% from 79%...
And there is always a premium paid for junk silver. It's universal recognition factor and it's small denomination usability make it easy to trade or barter.

Everyone knows what it is and what it's worth. A silver dime will always be worth a loaf of bread. A silver dollar will always pretty much buy a man's supper including a tip.

Recognize that PMs never really do, or should gain in value. They have always been very good at maintaining value.

Any one oz silver round, or bar should equal or exceed the value of a silver dollar. If you trust the source
Also recognize that the historic US coins weigh differently than any .999 silver round or bar.

A US silver dollar weighs 26.7 grams, or about 0.86 troy ounces

A .999 silver round or bar will weigh 1.0 troy ounce or 31.1 grams

Edit; A modern US Silver Eagle is .999 and weighs 1.0 troy ounce.
Posted By: ihookem Re: How Low? - 04/30/22
My 25 yr. old punk son is buying silver and gold , mostly physical , but some in a gold trust. I bought into a gold trust 1 yr. ago and up almost exacly 9 or 10% ... I am however starting to pickup all the junk at the job sights. I got 360 lb. cast iron tub and they gave me $22 for it, or .06 a pound. Copper is high now too. I wish I would have taken all the scrap copper, and put it in a barrel way back in the brush in my back yard. I would have 50? pounds by now, maybe 100. Even the small pieces add up.

I am also hoarding firewood . I have next winters wood all cut and split, but not stacked. I have 2023 -24 winter firewood cut and stacked. It's all a commodity. Nat. gas doubled in 12 months, now that wood is worth 2x what it was worth 6 months ago.
Posted By: oldhunter49 Re: How Low? - 04/30/22

I get a kick out of the tv commercials that advertise either gold or silver is set to sky rocket and you should buy now.. Really if it is going to skyrocket in price, why are they selling it now????????????
Posted By: Raferman Re: How Low? - 04/30/22
William Devane.
Lol
Originally Posted by oldhunter49

I get a kick out of the tv commercials that advertise either gold or silver is set to sky rocket and you should buy now.. Really if it is going to skyrocket in price, why are they selling it now????????????

I really don't watch broadcast television, but am surprised to hear of those selling PMs advertising that way. I have seen ads, in years past, for those who wanted you to sell them YOUR silver and gold.

If I'm gonna buy, these days, it'll be from APMX, SD bullion, or the like. Reputable marketers with stock in trade of known quality and value.
Posted By: SDLEFTY Re: How Low? - 05/01/22
I have a cousin that his side gig was to hit the local banks and buy up their 50 cent coins every week and sort out the old ones. I have no idea if it was worth his gas. This was 15 or 20 yrs ago.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: How Low? - 05/01/22
What’s the best way to buy physical silver at close to spot price?
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: How Low? - 05/01/22
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
I have a cousin that his side gig was to hit the local banks and buy up their 50 cent coins every week and sort out the old ones. I have no idea if it was worth his gas. This was 15 or 20 yrs ago.

I did the same thing back in the 90's.
I'd go in and pick up a couple of rolls of half dollars, pick out the silver ones.
Went in one day for another roll when I saw the receptionist sitting at her desk, going through half dollars!
Never found another silver coin. 😡!

We bought quite a bit of silver and a couple of small gold coins back when silver was $12/$13/oz.
Kept buying until it hit up around $20/oz and Maple Leafs were over $20/each.

About 6 months or more back, silver dropped to around $12/oz! I grabbed my mad money stash and waited.
I don't think Maple Leafs or Silver Eagles ever dropped below $28/ea. Oh well!
We haven't bought anything since silver coins went above $21.
Just a note:
When we first started buying metals, an old buyer told us, "Don't buy U.S. coins. The Gov't "can" pick them up. Buy foreign coins."
We bought a lot of those "Prospector" coins
While a good investment, it won't hold the same value as a Silver Eagle or Maple Leaf.
Coins stamped with a monetary value are more recognized as a "monetary" unit.
FACT? Uhhmmm.....I don't know, but it made sense to us at the time
Posted By: johnw Re: How Low? - 05/01/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

The only way I've ever done this is face to face with a motivated seller.

PM marketers will neither buy or sell for spot price.

Only the kind of inflation no one wants to see makes silver look like a good speculative investment.

If your debts are satisfied, and your portfolio could use a cushion, buy it as a hedge
Posted By: jackmountain Re: How Low? - 05/01/22
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by jackmountain

The only way I've ever done this is face to face with a motivated seller.

PM marketers will neither buy or sell for spot price.

Only the kind of inflation no one wants to see makes silver look like a good speculative investment.

If your debts are satisfied, and your portfolio could use a cushion, buy it as a hedge

No debt and looking for vehicles to ride out the hyperinflation we’re about to see.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: How Low? - 05/01/22
Commodities, some PM’s, and make sure your beans, bullets and bandaids are topped off. We are not simply looking at hyperinflation, communism is in the wind as well. And hopefully(understand I do not wish for it, but it is better than peaceful submission) a civil war. What you can keep and carry is what you are likely to end up with when its over.

We are increasing our self-sufficiency here at the farm, and working on a plan to be able to move, if needed, while retaining some wealth. Farmers generally have not survived on their land very well under a communist regime, so a plan to move quickly is good to have. I have always in the back of my mind remembered that Russian farm family that fled to the mountains of Siberia with what they could carry, and managed to survive for decades undetected. Looked hard at what hurt them out there. and thought about how I could mitigate those same issues. That would not necessarily be my strategy, but one can learn a lot from those people and times.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: How Low? - 05/06/22
100% on why to buy.

Another question, the cynic in me can't help but wonder...

How do you know you are gonna get silver?
At the percentage it's advertised?
I can hear a silver quarter hit the counter from a distance,
But I can't tell 99% from 79%...

You can use a little tool called a Pocket Pinger, coupled with an app on your phone called the precious coin tester.

You select the specific coin you are testing (ie American Silver Eagle) and ping it and the app tells you if it is genuine.

Or you can spend $1,000 on a coin analyzer...but that is not practical for 99.9% of us.

They can all sound a little different...so pinging by ear is tough unless you know how a Britannia sounds compared to a 1.5 oz Canadian Arctic Fox!

Short of that....don't buy from unknowns on Ebay or the street corner!
Posted By: Westman Re: How Low? - 05/06/22

I do most of my PM business here: apmex.com

I do check in with a couple local coin shops that occasionally have bullion.
Posted By: akrange Re: How Low? - 05/06/22
You need Deflation..
© 24hourcampfire