Home
Posted By: Featherweight6555 Graves - 04/29/22
If graves were cylindrical and vertical into the earth, instead of flat and rectangular, they would take up far less space.
Much easier to dig with a tractor and an auger also instead of a backhoe. The auger would have to be about 7.5-8.0 feet in length though. Probably have to be like an oil rig and be lengthened sectionally.
This would mean more graves on less land and potentially more revenue for the cemetery on the same amount of land.......
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Graves - 04/29/22
I remember a proposal that was aimed at keeping the departed useful after their passing. The idea was to bury them naked, face down, in a shallow grave with their bottom above the surface so that they could be used as bike racks.
Posted By: Featherweight6555 Re: Graves - 04/29/22
Never heard that one. Might get a little smelly after a while.

Buried vertically or horizontally, does it matter? Heck some people get turned into ashes and take up even less space....
Posted By: centershot Re: Graves - 04/29/22
I think cremation is what I want, just a bag of ash left over.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Graves - 04/29/22
Is there a minimum depth required for graves to prevent wild animals/canines from attempting to dig things up in unsecured environments?
Posted By: hanco Re: Graves - 04/29/22
You have a lot of time on your hands???
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Graves - 04/29/22
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Is there a minimum depth required for graves to prevent wild animals/canines from attempting to dig things up in unsecured environments?

I don't know what it is, but you can bet the farm there are rules and guidelines.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Graves - 04/29/22
Stack em.

Place one big headstone that has the departed’s name and level they were placed.

🦫
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Graves - 04/29/22
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Stack em.

Place one big headstone that has the departed’s name and level they were placed.

🦫

Has Great Britain already gone to this?
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Stack em.

🦫

Has Great Britain already gone to this?

Appears they have looked into it. Going with a 4 stack modular design.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ercrowded-churchyard-bid-save-space.html

🦫
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Graves - 04/29/22
Tennessee Body Farm...

Could now be called Ukraine.

Lol

🦫
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Graves - 04/29/22
Touring cemetaries in NOLA in the summertime gets a bit aromatic...... the water table down there affects the guidelines for sure.....created some interesting architecture for the dead.
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Graves - 04/29/22
Meh, when I die, I got bigger problems than what they do with my carcass.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Graves - 04/29/22
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
If graves were cylindrical and vertical into the earth, instead of flat and rectangular, they would take up far less space.
Much easier to dig with a tractor and an auger also instead of a backhoe. The auger would have to be about 7.5-8.0 feet in length though. Probably have to be like an oil rig and be lengthened sectionally.
This would mean more graves on less land and potentially more revenue for the cemetery on the same amount of land.......

If you're worried about getting max occupation per acre just do cremations.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Graves - 04/29/22
one thing is for certain, the dead don't care
Posted By: Cretch Re: Graves - 04/29/22
Suppose to be laid to rest. Not Stand to rest. wink
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Graves - 04/29/22
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Touring cemetaries in NOLA in the summertime gets a bit aromatic...... the water table down there affects the guidelines for sure.....created some interesting architecture for the dead.

There have been times when cemeteries were flooded and caskets floated out of the mud as well as crypts.
Burning works...Ashes to ashes and all that.

🦫
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Graves - 04/30/22
There's a guy in KY that was buried standing upright, with a hatchet in one hand and a fifth of whiskey in the other, so that he would be ready to meet the devil face to face.

The devil must have won the encounter.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Graves - 04/30/22
A guy I know has often commented that an auger was the best way to
dispose of a corpse. Just a small round hole, no one ever pays attention
to an 18" hole. Even as it settled, folks would assume it was from a tree.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Graves - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
A guy I know has often commented that an auger was the best way to
dispose of a corpse. Just a small round hole, no one ever pays attention
to an 18" hole. Even as it settled, folks would assume it was from a tree.

Hog pen. So I’ve heard.
Posted By: EdM Re: Graves - 04/30/22
Burning works...Ashes to ashes and all that.

🦫

Bingo and clearly in the trust to be tossed about north Idaho.
Posted By: strikeu Re: Graves - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by centershot
I think cremation is what I want, just a bag of ash left over.

this.

few things in this world piss me off more than what a funeral costs. no offense to any funeral type folks in here but screw THAT. topping $12 grand for a Cheap one. you can drop $25k easy. BUT for less than $2k, I can be a french fry.

I told my family if they spend any more than that I'll find a way to come back and club every one of them like a pit bull puppy.
Posted By: Featherweight6555 Re: Graves - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by hanco
You have a lot of time on your hands???

No not really, work around 60 hours a week @ my job and a couple of properties to keep up, along with trying to find time to fish and shoot.
I go by a large cemetery regularly and it just got me to thinking about the space it consumes.
I prefer to be cremated and the Mrs. knows this. Her too.
Spread me out in the gulf stream....
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Graves - 05/01/22
Getting cremated and spread on the mountain at the cabin. Rotting away in a box freaks me out. Plus why waste good real estate? A dead body is nothing but garbage, get rid of it like the rest of the trash.
Posted By: HughW Re: Graves - 05/01/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
A guy I know has often commented that an auger was the best way to dispose of a corpse. Just a small round hole, no one ever pays attention to an 18" hole. Even as it settled, folks would assume it was from a tree.

I remeber reading about a guy up here did that and put a yard light pole in the hole on top of the decessed. According to the article he was caught in a sting operation.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Graves - 05/01/22
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Meh, when I die, I got bigger problems than what they do with my carcass.

When you die - You got NO problems.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Graves - 05/01/22
Funeral directors collect all the gold. Why wouldn't they, no one ever asks for it.
Posted By: blanket Re: Graves - 05/01/22
Grew up next to a cemetery from the 1830's that was on a bluff. To make a long story short one year the bluff started to slide and exposed numerous coffins including glass sided ones from the 1890's in a place us kids played. The ground your put in does not last forever
Posted By: ldholton Re: Graves - 05/01/22
Around here anyway a standard grave is dug 4'wide 4'deep and 8 foot long . Vault set casket put in vault top set . That will leave about 1.5 feet dirt on top of vault.
The veterans cemetery are dug same but 8' deep vaults preset whom ever (of a couple ) goes on bottom.
There preset mausoleums for normal or private cemetery.
If buried soon enough you don't have to be inbaulmed and can be buried in a pine box or even a cardboard box with no vault .
I'm sure some of these laws will vary state to state.
Not sure about the idea of burying somebody standing up. It's not very hard to dig with the backhoe to set over head and stones and everything tractor and auger would be much more difficult but an auger truck would possibly be quite easy..
Posted By: blanket Re: Graves - 05/01/22
Ever walked in a cemetery that does not require vaults or embalming? Monastery here does not and if have never smelled death there it is
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Graves - 05/01/22
Sunny side up, or over easy?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Graves - 05/01/22
Stack em.

🦫

That's what they do in Prague at the Jewish cemetery. When I was there, I was told they were stacked 11 deep.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Graves - 05/01/22
My back gets to hurting more if I’m on my feet a lot. Spending eternity standing up seems like cruel and unusual punishment. I’ll pay more to lay down. 😁
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Graves - 05/01/22
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Stack em.

🦫

That's what they do in Prague at the Jewish cemetery. When I was there, I was told they were stacked 11 deep.

Those people are short….the biggest amount of space taken up by them is their noses which almost require they be buried standing. 😉
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Graves - 05/01/22
My daughter in law was an office manager for a funeral home in Columbia Tennessee that had a crematorium. It seems that incenerating a morbidly obese client that weigned in at around 500 pounds exceeded the capacity of the furnace. The building burned down around him!
© 24hourcampfire