Home

I didn't need to get a new truck, I had a 2012 Ram, the last year before they added DEF. It only had 84,000 miles on it and it was in excellent shape. My boys were busy buying late model used trucks and seeing the values of those going so high, I decided to consider upgrading.

I went to the GMC dealer and started kicking tires. They spec'd a new 3500 diesel out at $63,000.00. It is hard to believe you can consider that a good deal, but in this day and age, it is. I took it to the local GMCV and Chevy dealers to see what they could do and neither showed any real interest in selling a truck they didn't have on the lot. Not to mention, they didn't have any trucks on the lot to begin with.

After prying the Chevy dealer loose from their chair, they finally built a similar build sheet to the GMC I had looked at earlier and told me they would let me know if they could get any allotments for a truck like that in the near future. In a week, they called and said they had an open slot for a new truck and I headed over.

I put $1000.00 down and ordered it with a due date of 4-6 months. That was January 28. this is today...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is the good 'ol Ram. It was a great truck, but I think the Chevey will be better...

You silly...silly man.

The last decent vehicles made in the US were in about 12 or 13.
As you found, there aren’t a lot off vehicles on many of the lots. Good lookin’ Chebby 😊
You will like that new pickup. Enjoy!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You silly...silly man.

My dad always said “they don’t make them like they used to” and I am sure glad they don’t…
You got cheated! They sawed a foot and a half off the bed.

You silly...silly man.

yep. you traded down big time.
Looks good!
Nice truck. Congrats
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You silly...silly man.

My dad always said “they don’t make them like they used to” and I am sure glad they don’t…

He types from the waiting room after his 43rd recall and warranty claim.

DEF is super fun in Montana.
I can't believe how ugly the front ends are on these new Chevy pickups.

Am a diehard GM man too.

Looks like it drove through a fence.

In 30 years when I can afford a 22 GM.....I will hang my head in disgust.
I bought one before Commie 19 hit. I’m thankful
It’s beautiful, Clark.

The bigger question is "How hard is it to pay for a new truck?".
Not sure what you got for a low mileage pre-DEF 6.7 Cummins. I hope it was $50k plus. They are like GOLD.
Congrats on your new truck!
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I never thought I would pay more for a truck than a couple of houses I’ve owned. Hasbeen
I'm afraid, it's going to be like this.
Dont listen to any of these clowns ragging on that purchase. Youll love the truck. Ive owned more than a few 15-present gm trucks and everyome has been outstanding. They are as solid as a truck comes and will give you many years of good use

Am a diehard GM man too.

I guess I never noticed in any pictures you have posted, that looks were even a consideration…

Am a diehard GM man too.

I guess I never noticed in any pictures you have posted, that looks were even a consideration…

😂🦫
I'm am a connoisseur.

You just bought a pickup designed for pimps by 7th graders.

Originally Posted by Beaver10

Am a diehard GM man too.

😂🦫

Don't encourage him. He might stick around this time.
Sunshine, blue sky, green lawn.... what the hell did you move to Arizona? lol

Nice truck and congrats.... wink
Last time I went vehicle shopping, it was definitely eye 👀 opening!
Any "standard transmission" by order only.
One ton, dually or not, was over $65K.
Diesel pushed the price over $70K.

Hell NO! I can buy a farm for that!

That why I'm still driving an '01 Dodge 1 ton w/Cummins.
400K miles and still gets 17mpg. Runs like a top.
I'll continue changing oil and filters until me or it dies! LOL!
Good looking truck. I keep holding on to my '06 DMAX. Nary a problem but it's time to upgrade. I just don't know if I'll want to deal with DEF in a diesel for my needs. Then again, a half-ton V8 is a dog when pulling anything.
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Last time I went vehicle shopping, it was definitely eye 👀 opening!
Any "standard transmission" by order only.
One ton, dually or not, was over $65K.
Diesel pushed the price over $70K.

Hell NO! I can buy a farm for that!

That why I'm still driving an '01 Dodge 1 ton w/Cummins.
400K miles and still gets 17mpg. Runs like a top.
I'll continue changing oil and filters until me or it dies! LOL!

Where can you buy a farm for $70k today?
Guess I will never buy a new truck ever.
Glad you got one. Nice looking truck.

Thank goodness for armchair quarterbacks, I couldn’t make a clear decision without all the help. I worked at one job for 43 years and all we used were GM trucks for the entire fleet, I put over 1,500,000 miles on various trucks, probably more than most of the quarterbacks combined.

No mistake was made buying this truck…
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I never thought I would pay more for a truck than a couple of houses I’ve owned. Hasbeen

Me too, cost me 57,000 to build the house I live in, but built it myself, except for Sheetrock and brick work. The same size places are selling for 300,000 in my neighborhood now.
I'm still driving the 92 Ford f150 five in the floor 4x4 king cab I bought new. It's a hard use truck with almost 148000 on it and it still does what it is supposed to.. Can't imagine getting rid of it for a new one that costs more than my house did.
Originally Posted by rangerat
I'm still driving the 92 Ford f150 five in the floor 4x4 king cab I bought new. It's a hard use truck with almost 148000 on it and it still does what it is supposed to.. Can't imagine getting rid of it for a new one that costs more than my house did.

You realize you paid more for that truck in 1992 than your parents paid for the house you grew up in?
Nice truck, Shrap!

Ugly color.
😲
Use it in good health Shrapnel! I hope that bed carries lots of game as you travel safely.

Enjoy!
I won't comment on the negative responses you are getting except to say it seems a lot of guys are jealous of your new truck. I really like the look of the new Chevy front ends, personally, but I realize it is an acquired taste. My 2015 is probably the best truck I've ever owned and my last one- a 2003 had 200K and running like a top when I sold it . Most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven in and my buddies all want to take my truck when we go on a long distance drive hunting or fishing because it sure beats riding in their Fords and Rams for long trips....

How is it set up? Duramax and Allison? Leather interiors? Infotainment system? Great color...
Originally Posted by devnull
Good looking truck. I keep holding on to my '06 DMAX. Nary a problem but it's time to upgrade. I just don't know if I'll want to deal with DEF in a diesel for my needs. Then again, a half-ton V8 is a dog when pulling anything.

Sharp truck shrapnel. Does it have the cameras everywhere option? I just sold my '06 LBZ, and "upgraded" to a 2018 2500HD 6.0. With the towing and hauling I do, it was easy to wait for another rattler. It will be missed though, it was a good pickup.
Buddy bought a new Chevy 3500 diesel, took 3 months I think. Got it couple months ago, it's a good looking truck. For what he paid it ought to, holy fugk.

Another buddy just last week bought a new Chevy 1500. Saved $10K and a quoted 6-9 month wait by flying to Phoenix and driving it back. Was at the dealership less than an hour.
If you got $40-45k for your Ram like you should have, you did good. Nothing beats a new truck, even if it's a Chevy with a Duramax. Our 2006 3500 Duramax was the highest maintenance diesel truck that True Grit Farms has ever owned.

General Motors has put a stop-sale hold on a group of over 3,500 HD Silverado and Sierra pickups due to a defect in their Duramax Diesel Engine. Bulletin Number N222362910 was issued last week and details a “Stop Delivery” order for 3,461 2022 Silverado and Sierra HD 2500 & 3500 Duramax Diesel-equipped vehicles.Apr 21, 2022
ordered a new f150 last month. Dealer is giving me 3% below invoice on the order. most people think I will be lucky to see it by october.
Originally Posted by Sheister

How is it set up? Duramax and Allison? Leather interiors? Infotainment system? Great color...

I just got the LT package with all the stuff I need. I don’t like leather and don’t want all the stuff it takes a junior high student to run.

It is the Duramax with 10 speed Allison transmission. That is a great combination.

All the big trucks will work, but Ford really hasn’t figured it all out yet with a diesel that changes every 2 years, and Chevy does have the best ride. I probably won’t get another new truck, this should last me through all the ridiculous electric car/truck crap they are trying to push on us. I have a 2020 GMC 2500 with a 454 and 5 speed manual transmission, so I can keep up with all the guys that don’t want a new truck.

I also drive a 2020 S10 pickup that is a wreck and I drive it to church so nobody thinks I am flush enough to ask for money donations. I keep a Ruger rifle case in the seat so no one will steal the truck or gun case.

I plan on driving it to my fan base on the high line so I can fit in and hang out with the real Montanans. You only need New truck like the Chevy if you are going to live in Bozeman…
Enjoy it for years to come!

Congrats!
2020 454? 5spd?
bought a new 2001 Chevy Silverado in 2001 for $27 k, hauled tons of dead critters, job trailers, lumber on the rack, dirt, gravel etc for 18 years & over 400 k miles

Got two 2019 Chevy Silverado trucks for $29,900 each on Christmas Eve 2019, White one for me, Silver for her

brother bought a Ford a few months before that, had a bunch of different issues, traded it for another newer Ford and has problems with that one, our Silverados are at 50k miles each and so far no problems

I tow my 36 Ft hunting camp with my truck

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Congrats, man, good lookin' truck. I'm a Ford guy, but I like that front grill.

Thank goodness for armchair quarterbacks, I couldn’t make a clear decision without all the help. I worked at one job for 43 years and all we used were GM trucks for the entire fleet, I put over 1,500,000 miles on various trucks, probably more than most of the quarterbacks combined.

You're gonna love that one. The ranch where we mule deer hunt owns 4 of them. They've been very reliable, hard working trucks. So true about QB'ing from the stands too.....

Nice Vehicle for sure.
Nice truck, not big on the grill though.

Owned one Ford 37 years ago. Chebbys or Chevarlees ever since.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Sheister

I just got the LT package with all the stuff I need. I don’t like leather and don’t want all the stuff it takes a junior high student to run.

It is the Duramax with 10 speed Allison transmission. That is a great combination.

All the big trucks will work, but Ford really hasn’t figured it all out yet with a diesel that changes every 2 years, and Chevy does have the best ride. I probably won’t get another new truck, this should last me through all the ridiculous electric car/truck crap they are trying to push on us. I have a 2020 GMC 2500 with a 454 and 5 speed manual transmission, so I can keep up with all the guys that don’t want a new truck.

I also drive a 2020 S10 pickup that is a wreck and I drive it to church so nobody thinks I am flush enough to ask for money donations. I keep a Ruger rifle case in the seat so no one will steal the truck or gun case.

I plan on driving it to my fan base on the high line so I can fit in and hang out with the real Montanans. You only need New truck like the Chevy if you are going to live in Bozeman…

Bahahaha. Well played
Shrap,

Nice truck! Every truck thread begins and ends the same regardless of the brand.

Originally Posted by SamOlson

Sammo,

I was a lil worried that you were an ugly bastard and was right! But the aviators help! Next time, throw the dog in there or a few empty cold ones...
Hahaha!

Give me an hour or two for the cold ones!
LMAO! Don't forget the tractor gun!
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Buddy bought a new Chevy 3500 diesel, took 3 months I think. Got it couple months ago, it's a good looking truck. For what he paid it ought to, holy fugk.

Another buddy just last week bought a new Chevy 1500. Saved $10K and a quoted 6-9 month wait by flying to Phoenix and driving it back. Was at the dealership less than an hour.

Crap, around here, I hear stories of flying to Missoula to save $10K on a truck.

I guess it just depends, year to year, and dealer to dealer.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
2020 454? 5spd?

Yup, chained up on all 4, only 3 feet of snow will stop it...

Sam,

I am deeply touched by the video you did. I am more than adequately welcomed back by a video short from back East. It makes up for all the guff John Burns tries to dish out. He is a loser, You, my man are inducted with full honors into the Shrapnel hall of fame.

That comes with a complimentary map to the private prairie dog fields...
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Crap, around here, I hear stories of flying to Missoula to save $10K on a truck.

They're always cheaper somewhere else!

When I bought my '93 F250, I flew to Seattle to pick it up.

But, I saved enough to buy the plane ticket (good old days pf MarkAir - $99), food and fuel to get home in Fairbanks, Have a hitch and running boards installed, and a three-horse trailer.

Dealers wanted the last number on the window sticker. Seattle dealer was more interested in selling vehicles.
Nice looking truck. I like it.

Could be and there may be other factors, the purchased truck may have a story too, e.g., fell off a truck during transport (which really happens and dealers buy them at reduced cost though are required to disclose it). Sometimes the 'how much I saved off MSRP,' and the ol' "I beat the dealer down" stories are akin to the biggest fish I ever caught stories. And, there isn't a new truck out there with $10k profit in it as sold to the dealer by the OEM.

You are starting to see some "Market based Pricing" addendums, added by dealers, which are pure dealer's profit. I've seem some other dealers here locally adding addendums to MSRP for 'dealer added accessories.' Which, again, are fat.
Nifce ride, shrap. Congrats.
Hey Shrapnel, all in good fun!

And good luck with the new pickup.

You know it's tough over there Sam.

It's all Californians. Thems is tough people.
Hahaha!

Give me an hour or two for the cold ones!

See if maybe the Duck of Death is done playing golf with the Red Barron.

He might have something to say about Sharpnel's new town cruiser.
Nice truck. Did the dealer add on any charges over the sticker price?
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

Just the undercoating.
I plan on driving it to my fan base on the high line

I thought he moved to FL.

MSRP + $3800.00 for 8 year extended bumper to bumper warranty…
We ordered a new RAV4 for the wife in mid-January. We got lucky and they delivered it last Saturday (three and half months later).. It's kinda the opposite direction of your new diesel, it's a hybrid. It DOES get 40MPG highway, which is pretty good for AWD. I'm glad it's hers to drive and not mine, though. I would have picked something else, but she drives a lot more than I do, and gas prices being what they are, it was a good choice.

"Silver Ray Doe!"

laugh laugh

That won't stop the car warranty places from calling your cell phone 3-4 times a day... grin
Originally Posted by MadMooner
2020 454? 5spd?

Yup, chained up on all 4, only 3 feet of snow will stop it...

That's the last truck I saw you in.

Much better than that hack with the rusty Toyota that molted empty buttwheezer cans....
Awesome truck. Congrats.
They used to figure that a quarter to a third of your purchase price was for the "free" warranty.

Now...these new ones are so good that you pay msrp....and then more for extra warranty?

Quality.
They used to figure that a quarter to a third of your purchase price was for the "free" warranty.

Now...these new ones are so good that you pay msrp....and then more for extra warranty?

Quality.

The problem with you agricultural people is you are too busy working to follow what is going on in the rest of the world…

Quality.

The problem with you agricultural people is you are too busy working to follow what is going on in the rest of the world…

That is a fair assessment.

I haven't got a clue how any of that shìt works.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That won't stop the car warranty places from calling your cell phone 3-4 times a day... grin

Ha Ha, now I’m getting most calls on refinancing my student debt.
Nice looking truck! My 2020 Silveraydoe is now worth more as a trade in than what I paid. Yours could be too in a few years with inflation.

Getting a new one may be tempting but the new ones cost a lot more than they did two years ago. I have a few cold weather package items that aren't available now because of the chip shortage. Heated seats and steering wheel are great when you work outside and park outside in the winter. Seems they can't be bought until this supply chain deal gets fixed.

You know it's tough over there Sam.

It's all Californians. Thems is tough people.

I used to hate GM products until I made a typical California mistake driving in the snow and got myself stuck in the middle of nowhere, Meagher County. I think I told Mr. Jim this one, but it made an impression on me so it's worth repeating. I was unloading the truck after I couldn't get it moving and had my pack and rifle on, along with snowshoes, when two older guys in a Chevy 2500 came down the same trail, so that I was stuck and realized it was a lot deeper snow than it appeared to be. So they were nice enough to turn around but wait for me to walk up to them. When I got to their truck, they asked where I'm from. I told them I live in Bozeman. And these two guys from Missoula said, in unison, "Oh, first time in Montana?"

And with that, I stopped hating GM products and learned to hate old guys from Missoula.
Nice ride.

I wouldn't worry about what these clowns say. Hell, they make fun of my bicycles, so what do they know. I really like that color.
I always liked that color on a Chevy.
© 24hourcampfire