Home
Posted By: prose Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Some years ago I stopped into a Taco Bell and I bought a Taco. I tried to pay with a $2 bill. The kid laughed at me and said something like, "I'll give you the opportunity to pay with real money or I'm calling the cops."

I chuckled because I was a police officer myself. I asked boldly for him to verify with a manager that $2 bills are real. The manager did not believe it and the cops were called.

Laughing, I sat down and waited. The young police officer showed up and he did not believe that $2 bills were real. I got worried. I asked him to call a Sgt which he did. The Sgt was unsure and made a couple phone calls. This was a few years before smart phones. My taco was cold. I still shake my head at the stupidity of it all.

A couple weeks ago I paid for something with a $2 bill. The person didn't know they were a thing. Literally the only two times I've ever used a $2 bill.
Posted By: bcp Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
They can be fun.

Bruce
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
the dumbing of America displayed. Surprising that the cops called were dopes too.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
"I got a Hot Rod Ford and a two dollar bill"... And I know a place right over the hill... [Hank Williams]
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
the dumbing of America displayed. Surprising that the cops called were dopes too.

Most of them are.
Wtf doesn't know 2 dollar bills are real?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
I had a two dollar bill that was a silver certificate. There's lot's of things I like to find again. laugh
Try paying for something with a Susan B. N i g g e r dollar coin sometime!
Posted By: Papag Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
I took fifty of them to Europe to use on a Mediterranean cruise for tips. Nobody there had a problem. They loved them.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
They take anything up here, even fake birch bark bills.

Had no problem passing mine off a few weeks ago, course the counter person was an older, mature lady.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

That's hilarious, especially considering that she ain't black.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Didn't the Clampett's have a pile of Confederate money out in Hollywood?? laugh
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by prose
I asked boldly for him to verify with a manager that $2 bills are real.

The boldness of someone challenging a Taco Bell cashier is very impressive.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

LoLoLoLoL!!!!!

Twenty dollar bills soon will have Supreme Court Justice Ketanji JACKSON on them......'n sheeit.
Posted By: mathman Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Having that much desire to buy Taco Bell "food" is impressive in a certain way.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22

Oh My. Hehehe.
Originally Posted by mathman
Having that much desire to buy Taco Bell "food" is impressive in a certain way.

My thoughts exactly. Their reticence to sell you a taco my have been a blessing in disguise 🥸
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
"I got a Hot Rod Ford and a two dollar bill"... And I know a place right over the hill... [Hank Williams]

Haah, one of my dads favorites.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
I ride the exercise bike at the gym. Up front there is a bank of 5 tvs, you are going to watch tv if you like it or not. One day, on one tv the Ellen show was on. She had two famous young actresses on, I don't know who they were. Ellen had a science quiz, they would win a prize if they could answer the question. The question was "At what temperature does water freeze?"
The two gals looked around in bewilderment. They didn't even understand the question. I could have answered that one when I was 7 years old.

Unbelievable how stupid many of the young people are today.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
I spend them now and then. Other than some kid at the register saying how cool they are, I have not had any issues.
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22

Uh oh, OK then what about Mrs Butterworth? of pancake syrup fame?
Posted By: cv540 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Everytime I cash a check I get 10 of them as it cuts down on singles. Only time I had them turned down was a obviously slow girl at Arby's who said she could only take bills that had a slot in the register drawer. Rather than make her life difficult I just gave her different bills.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
I save them. Don't know why but I've got a stack of them.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
I have 3 of them. I haven't seen any others in many years. Over the years I've had winshields replaced by Window Welders. They always hand out a $2 bill when you pay them. That's where I got mine.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
I recently made a Amazon purchase for a elderly neighbor who didn't have an Amazon account.
When he realized I had paid for the purchase he went a grabbed the cash he had on hand to pay me, 36.00 all in 2 dollar bills.

Stuffed them in my wallet and spent them randomly around town without even a odd look or question.
Posted By: Moto_Vita Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I ride the exercise bike at the gym. Up front there is a bank of 5 tvs, you are going to watch tv if you like it or not. One day, on one tv the Ellen show was on. She had two famous young actresses on, I don't know who they were. Ellen had a science quiz, they would win a prize if they could answer the question. The question was "At what temperature does water freeze?"
The two gals looked around in bewilderment. They didn't even understand the question. I could have answered that one when I was 7 years old.

I would have asked Ellen, freshwater or sea water?
It'd take a lot, of two dollar bills to buy one of the new pickups!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita

I would have asked Ellen, freshwater or sea water?

C, F, or K?
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
When my dad cashed his last paycheck before leaving for boot camp in 1942 he got a $2 bill. Even then they weren't common. He decided to keep it as a good luck charm and carried it through the war. After he got home he was pulled over for speeding. These were the days when you paid on the spot, or went to jail and paid the judge later. Dad didn't quite have enough cash to pay the fine unless he included his $2 bill.

He explained the story behind the $2 bill and told the officers that he would bring in 2 more dollars the next day if they would save that bill and return it to him. They thanked dad for his service, tore up the ticket and let him go. Dad still had that $2 bill in his wallet when he died in 2013. I have it now.

A couple of years ago I made photo copies of that $2 bill and typed up the story behind it on the same sheet of paper. I gave copies along with a new $2 bill to my kids and grandkids. We all now carry a $2 bill for good luck just as my dad did all those years.

And the last time I paid for something with a $2 bill, the kid at the register tried to give me change for a $20.
Dad's hired man lost his billfold raking hay.

I found it feeding yews, it smelled like alfalfa, and had one two-dollar bill, and his drivers license in it.

Somehow we got his address, and mailed it to him.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

Cops have no imputed abilities or higher knowledge base just by pinning on a badge. That is as much as I will say.
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by JMR40
When my dad cashed his last paycheck before leaving for boot camp in 1942 he got a $2 bill. Even then they weren't common. He decided to keep it as a good luck charm and carried it through the war. After he got home he was pulled over for speeding. These were the days when you paid on the spot, or went to jail and paid the judge later. Dad didn't quite have enough cash to pay the fine unless he included his $2 bill.

He explained the story behind the $2 bill and told the officers that he would bring in 2 more dollars the next day if they would save that bill and return it to him. They thanked dad for his service, tore up the ticket and let him go. Dad still had that $2 bill in his wallet when he died in 2013. I have it now.

A couple of years ago I made photo copies of that $2 bill and typed up the story behind it on the same sheet of paper. I gave copies along with a new $2 bill to my kids and grandkids. We all now carry a $2 bill for good luck just as my dad did all those years.

And the last time I paid for something with a $2 bill, the kid at the register tried to give me change for a $20.

Thanks for sharing. I love hearing stories like that. It really was your father's lucky $2 bill.
Posted By: oldhunter49 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22

OK, I will ask you, at what temperature does water freeze? And with that question, at what temperature does ice melt?
Posted By: poboy Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
I think $2 was the minimum bet at the horse race track in NM.
People always came back from there with $2s.
Posted By: oldhunter49 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Sometimes what I like to do, is if I am at a store and buy something that totals say $6.00, instead of paying with a ten and get four singles back, I will give them a ten and a single ( to get a five back ). it confuses the heck out of them. Although you need to be sure they know what you give them, In this example they might just glance and think you gave them a five and a single. then you might end up arguing, and possibly being out a five dollar bill.
Sad to say that most younger cashiers depend on the cash register to tell them the correct change to pay back, because they can't figure it out in their head.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
That's right and they wear their ball cap backwards, pants halfway down their ass and you expect them to be able to count money? Jfc when I dream big it's about winning the lottery and fugging miss America on the same day!
hell, I got in an argument with a kid in the local speedway about a year ago over a $50 kid knew a $20 and a C note but had never seen a 50
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I had a two dollar bill that was a silver certificate. There's lot's of things I like to find again. laugh

I have some 2's and 5's like that. I keep them along with old silver dollars and half-dollars in a Burma Shave jar. laugh

Don't know exactly why, other than just a reminder of days gone by, I guess.
Posted By: OGB Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Some time in the early 2000s, all the strip clubs around ft. Bragg started breaking larger bills and giving change in 2s instead of 1s.

Brilliant!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22

I sold all my $2 dollar bills

for $2 each
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by oldhunter49

OK, I will ask you, at what temperature does water freeze? And with that question, at what temperature does ice melt?

Zero.

Centigrade! HA HA!!!
Posted By: Stammster Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
I like to take a stack of them to the nudie bar. Those Mensa dancers have a hard time figuring out what’s going on. Especially up on pervert row when they are used to getting $1 bills stuffed in their g-string. For laughs, some times I ask for change.
Posted By: mathman Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22
Ever try swiping a credit card in their ass crack?
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 04/30/22

Y'all made a lot of good points ..how the populace is soooo stupid......

and you ask why we have biden????
Posted By: SDLEFTY Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
When we vacation in Mexico I get a 100 in 2s. They have a superstition that 2s are lucky and when you tip with 2s you are remembered very well.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
Twenty some years ago my wife was a salesman in women's clothing for JC Penny's. They would give the employee's $2 bills for every credit app they took in and she acquired a stack of those sumbitche's a mile high. Gave them away to nieces and nephew's for birthday's, etc. for a while. We still have a little over 50 of them. This makes me want to have a little fun!
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
I carry a few all the time and tip with them.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
Some of them dont know what Kennedy halves are either. Hand one an Ike dollar. lol
Posted By: Jericho Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
in the passed couple weeks I have handled three $2 bills, a SBA dollar coin and a bogus $50
Posted By: EdM Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
I own two $2 bills, both that my Father carried in Korea. One is in my wallet and the other in a drawer where I keep such things. In that same drawer is two packs of short Lucky Strikes he brought back.
Picked up 3 $1 "silver certificates" when a group of kids got po'd because the Coke machine wouldn't take their dollar bills!
Bet some weed head kid's dad is missing his silver certificates!
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
Originally Posted by Jericho
in the passed couple weeks I have handled three $2 bills, a SBA dollar coin and a bogus $50

In coming or out going?
Posted By: efw Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
Anyone remember those Slick Willie $3 bills that were circulated years ago? Those cracked me up…
Posted By: Jericho Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
in coming
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
There used to be some $3 bills going around with Obamas pic on it. What's another name for odd?

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
There used to be some $3 bills going around with Obamas pic on it. What's another name for odd?

Bb

Kweer
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
bought beer and gas today, and the guy working the register didn't know how much to give me back from a hundred for a 45 dollar purchase, when he pulled out a calculator I finally told him to give back 55.
Posted By: tophorsecop Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
Topless bar in San Antonio, used to be $2 Tuesdays,

$2 door charge,

$2 long necks,

$2 dances,

$2 well shots...

and all change given was $2 bills..

.at least that's what my friend told me...
Posted By: prose Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
That’s a pretty funny point. How do you convince a Taco Bell enpliyee to take something seriously though?!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
Gotta like those $2.00 bills.
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
I did some work for a old guy, well older than me, he paid me cash, which was in old $100 bills, 1982 bills, used these to buy stuff and you would beleive how many freaking idots are out there. Heck even one guy even called the cops on said the bills was counterfeit, i guess old bills that are that old are supposed to be takin out of circulation. Everyone tried to use the pen to see it they were real, hold them up to the light to see the strip, funny watching these idiots
Posted By: bufaf Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
Couple years ago, I sold a Colt Woodsman to a guy who paid me with $750 in $2 bills. Still have a bunch.
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
Upon visiting Monticello, used to be all change given back was in $2.00 bills. Still have scads of them...say 50 or 60.
After reading this thread, I might test some of the younger folk. Could be interesting...
Posted By: Muffin Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
I used to ask for them at the bank, tried to do my part in getting them to be a part of everyday currency........

Most people hoard them.

Had a friend try to 'spend' one, cashier called the manager and asked what she was supposed to do with fake money when she got it!?!?!?!?!? Manager just shook his head.

The other problem is there is no slot for a 'TWO' in the cash drawer.....
Posted By: jnyork Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
In years past they would pay the local National Guard troops in $2.00 bills, this was so the downtown merchants would get some idea of how much the Guard pay contributed to the local economy. Don't know if they still do it.
Posted By: BangPop Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
There's a grocery store in Valentine Nebraska that gives $2 bills as change. They've done that as long as I've been stopping in there on the way through. At least 20 years.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Paying with a $2 Bill - 05/01/22
Okay, made me look.

Been so long since I saw one in circulation, wasn’t sure if they still made them. Went to Wickeydickey and they’re still cranking them out since re-introducing them as Federal Reserve Notes in 1976. I have a couple in one of my “treasure boxes”.

From Wiki:

“The relative scarcity of the $2 bill in everyday circulation has led to confusion at points of sale, as well as overreaction by merchants and even attempted prosecution of the individual trying to tender the bill.

In 2005, a man in Baltimore, Maryland, was jailed for attempting to use $2 bills that the store and local police incorrectly thought were counterfeit because of smeared ink on some of the bills.[44]

In 2016, a 13-year-old girl in Texas was detained by police for attempting to use a $2 bill to pay for lunch in her school's cafeteria. The bill, a series 1953 red seal, while still legal tender, was old enough that the school's counterfeit pen would not work on it,[45] as the chemical properties of the paper used for United States currency prior to 1960 are such that a counterfeit pen is unable to prove whether or not the bill is genuine.[46]”
© 24hourcampfire