Home
Posted By: Higginez Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
"Fill your hand you son of a bitch!"

"Dog!"

Two favorites.

Name yours.
I like the speech Chisum gives the antagonist as a warning.

“I wouldn’t make it a habit of calling me that son”
“Mine was taller”
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
"I'm taller laying down than I am standing up"
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
"You pick it up, Valance."
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
Chisum was good

Big Jake - not hardly

The cowboys-I'm thirty years older than you are. I had my back broke once, and my hip twice. And on my worst day I could beat the hell out of you.

Almost every John Wayne movie has a famous quote
1:33 or so in. Having been in that position, I know the line well:

john wayne sucked...quotes aren't worth remembering
A horse that ain't just a little bit crazy will let you down when the going gets tough.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
John Wayne "The Shootist"
“We ain’t lightin’ no matches”.
“ He was carryin’ a 21 foot tapeworm along with his business responsibilities, that aged him”.
"That'll be the day."
“You do that and I’ll kill ya”
Originally Posted by Morewood
"That'll be the day."

Buddy Holly said that line from “The Searchers” inspired him to write that song.
“” did you bring gold?“ —-“NO”
“ did you bring silver?” —-“NO”
“ well then what did you bring?“ —-“LEAD”
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
Here’s a nice stick to beat the lovely lady
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
"That'll be the day."

Buddy Holly said that line from “The Searchers” inspired him to write that song.

From wiki:

"In June 1956, Holly along with his older brother Larry as well as Allison and Sonny Curtis went to see the film The Searchers, starring John Wayne, in which Wayne repeatedly used the phrase "that'll be the day". This line of dialogue inspired the young musicians."
Don't forget, boys and girls, every one of those "favorite" lines said by John Wayne -- and other actors -- were written by a screenwriter. Actors don't just make up those lines as they go along. grin

L.W.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Don't forget, boys and girls, every one of those "favorite" lines said by John Wayne -- and other actors -- were written by a screenwriter. Actors don't just make up those lines as they go along. grin

L.W.

No schidt?

Tell us more?
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
Originally Posted by Higginez

L.W.

No schidt?

Tell us more?

LMFAO...

L.W.

It ain’t the writin’, it’s the tellin’.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22

L.W.

Leanwolf, have you ever written a line that you hear repeated and attributed to an actor?
Posted By: duke61 Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
“A man's got to do what a man's got to do.”
You bring silver did you bring gold I don't know how you expect to buy these animals back what did you bring then lead

L.W.

Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

”If Ever I meet one of you Texas waddies that ain’t drank water from a dirty hoofprint, I think I’ll shake his hand or buy him a Daniel Webster cigar.

How long have you boys down there been mounted on sheep?”
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

L.W.

The Duke never said this.

L.W.

Next you're gonna tell me Hulk Hogan aint good at wrassling!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

L.W.

Dam sure did

L.W.

A tip o’the Stetson to the writers!
Posted By: las Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
"Camp! Camp here!" True Grit.

I got to use that line myself once- not drunk, but severe leg cramps while backpack hunting with wife and boys. And yeah, it came from True Grit.
You follow him, and I’ll come back and kill ya! Every Mother’s son of ya!
Big Jake

Ron
Originally Posted by ironbender

L.W.

A tip o’the Stetson to the writers!

Yessir!
We are indeed privileged to have a famous real life Conservative Screenwriter here on the Campfire who wrote for one of the greatest TV Westerns of all time.
Thanks LeanWolf ! Always enjoy and appreciate your input.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
"That'll be the day."

From wiki:

"In June 1956, Holly along with his older brother Larry as well as Allison and Sonny Curtis went to see the film The Searchers, starring John Wayne, in which Wayne repeatedly used the phrase "that'll be the day". This line of dialogue inspired the young musicians."

Here’s a better explanation from another News Source:

“In 1956 Buddy Holly and his drummer Jerry Allison went to see a movie in their hometown of Lubbock, Texas. They saw "The Searchers" starring John Wayne. Wayne had a response that he used throughout the movie when someone said something he didn't agree with: "That'll be the day."
“As legend has it, after the movie, Holly looked at Allison and said that it sure would be nice if they could record a hit song. And Jerry replied "That'll be the day."

That was the inspiration for a song that was No. 1 on the Billboard pop chart 60 years ago.”
Posted By: pullit Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Beat me to it
Posted By: Teal Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
"Sorry" don't get it done, Dude.
I can't remember the movie but he'd just got shot in the leg. "Ow".
J.D. Cahill: Mister, I ain't got a bigoted bone in my body. You don't drop that axe I'll blast you to hell as quick as I would a white man.

J.D. Cahill: You call the tune and you pay the piper. Meaning... you don't like the treatment, don't rob the banks.
LaBouef, you get cross ways of me and you'll think a thousand of BRICK have fell on you! You'll wish you was back at the Alamo with TRAVIS!
"Liberty Vallence is the toughst man North of the Pickerwire, next to me."
"If it's trouble you want, I'll accommodate you". From Big Jake, " you can call me dad, you can call me father, you can call me Jake. You can call me a dirty old son of a bitch but if you ever call me daddy again, I'll finish this fight."
"...a human rides a horse until it dies, then he goes on afoot. A Comanche comes along, gets that horse up, rides him 20 more miles... and then he eats him."

True words to live by.
'She reminds me of me."
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing
"...a human rides a horse until it dies, then he goes on afoot. A Comanche comes along, gets that horse up, rides him 20 more miles... and then he eats him."

True words to live by.

True word to live by ?

Rooster Cogburn, Katherine Hepburn. " I'll be damned if she didn't get the last word in again."
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by CashisKing

True words to live by.

True word to live by ?

The essence of the quote for me (at least)... a Comanche is a wild animal that never suffers an ounce of sorrow... whereas a human will embrace suffering.

A paraphrase of D.H. Lawrence I reckon... “I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.”

Alan Le May (born 1899) and Lawrence (born 1885)... a different time... a different perspective IMHO.
My favorite movie lines of all time:

James Pepper: You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum?

John Simpson Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Originally Posted by jwp475

L.W.

Dam sure did

Post the movie.
If you can't respect your elders you damn well better respect your betters.
Remember, all those lines were written by someone else.
Posted By: JHM Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22
Wil Anderson: [repeated line] We're burnin' daylight.
Posted By: Spud Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22

When Books was dying of the big C:

Carson City Marshal Walter Thibido: You wouldn't gun down a police officer.

John Bernard Books: What'd stop me? Fear of dying?

L.W.

No schidt?

Tell us more?

Not much more to tell. I just relate what the big boys down at the pool hall tell me. wink

L.W.
Posted By: Teal Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/05/22

L.W.

No schidt?

Tell us more?

Not much more to tell. I just relate what the big boys down at the pool hall tell me. wink

L.W.

John Wayne was not only prolific but he played the same guy over and over. Even tho his lines were written for him - sooner or later that has to mold his personality. He basically becomes the part off screen too.
Originally Posted by Scotty

L.W.

Leanwolf, have you ever written a line that you hear repeated and attributed to an actor?

Probably the most memorable line I ever wrote that is often repeated in certain movies was for Hobo, the star of The Littlest Hobo, Canadian production. Hobo was a German Shepard that ran around in Canada helping and solving people's problems. That line was "Woof, woof!"

So anytime you see a flick where a dog is on camera and going "Woof, woof. Woof woof woof." That's my line. Pretty easy dialogue, frankly. smile

L.W.
Originally Posted by GAGoober

" Nope...just lead"
Originally Posted by GAGoober

" Nope...just lead"

L.W.

It ain’t the writin’, it’s the tellin’.

What, you don't think Don Knotts coulda pulled it of like the Duke?
Posted By: Lslite Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/06/22
Every man wants his children to be better than he was, you are.
"I don't want to sound like a Bible beater yellin' up a revival at a river crossing camp meet, but that don't change the truth none..... A man has 2 choices....... He does the one he goes on living..... He does the other, he might be walking around, but he's dead as a beaver hat." John Wayne as Davy Crockett.

Todd

Anybody with the INSP tv channel, May is designated the duke month. Lots of John Wayne movies all month.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/07/22

"I'm looking at a drunk with a tin star pinned to it"

El Darado

El Darado
Posted By: Spud Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/07/22
I'm looking at a tin star.with a drunk pinned on (to?) it...

El Darado

Originally Posted by Spud
I'm looking at a tin star.with a drunk pinned on it...

Make up your mind!
The hell I won't
Go tell your boss he can keep his land south of the Rio Grande, but everything north of it now belongs to me.

Red River

Mine too.

I like his (supposed) real life quote; "I've tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.".
My favorite and I can’t remember what movie, maybe The Shootist “ tighter than Dick’s hatband” I can’t believe they got it past the censors.
All it takes is money....Chisum

And something about "a rat writ, writ for a rat" Rooster
That Texican saved my life twice. Once after he was dead.

This
Posted By: Deans Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/07/22
Hondo

"everybody gets dead, it was his turn"

L.W.

Dam sure did

Post the movie.

Waiting.

Pitter patter.
You will be waiting a damn long time.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/07/22

L.W.

I know a lot of scripts are written and sold well prior to any casting but in some cases do writers know who will play the primary characters?

I'm sure even with no idea who will play the character writers have a voice inside their head don't they?
Originally Posted by Teal

L.W.

No schidt?

Tell us more?

L.W.

John Wayne was not only prolific but he played the same guy over and over. Even tho his lines were written for him - sooner or later that has to mold his personality. He basically becomes the part off screen too.

People don’t realize how many people went to the movies to see John Wayne more than the movie itself…

L.W.

Dam sure did

Post the movie.

Waiting.

Pitter patter.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/words-of-wisdom/
Originally Posted by Pugs

L.W.

I know a lot of scripts are written and sold well prior to any casting but in some cases do writers know who will play the primary characters?

I'm sure even with no idea who will play the character writers have a voice inside their head don't they?

Pugs, it is very rare a writer knows who the actor is for a character before casting. But, an exception is when a writer has pitched a story to an actor who wants to buy it and play the lead, or if a producer likes a story created by the writer, he or the studio buy it, and the producer tells the writer that some star actor wants to do the part. Then the writer will try and tailor the dialogue for that actor, given he knows what that actor likes to do.

I always knew who the regulars were on a show but can't recall I knew whom were to be cast in the co-staring roles.

As for a writer running the voices or dialogue in his head, or verbally, yes, I always did that and other writers I knew did the same. Sometimes an actor will change a line or two or three as he doesn't like the way it sounds when he says the line as written in the script. Brando was infamous for that. He hated learning lines anyway so if he could not remember a line, he just made something up. Drove directors and script supervisors stark crazy.

Here's an example that happened with one of my scripts for an episode of Gunsmoke. I was on set at CBS Studios to watch a particular scene being filmed as I wanted to know how the director set it up..They were filming the scene when Arness suddenly stopped. He turned to the director and said, "I don't like the way my line sounds."

The director said "Okay, Jim. Got an idea?"

Arness said, "Yeah, let's try it again."

So they began filming again and Arness said a new line that he'd made up on the spot that kinda mirrored what I'd written but was different. Damned if it didn't sound better than my original line. smile And on other shows and flicks, actors will sometimes do the same. Some times it will benefit a scene and other times it is a detriment. You never know. The movie racket is a strange business. wink

Hope that answered your question.

L.W.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/07/22
Hope that answered your question.

L.W.

Very much so. Cool stuff behind the scenes. Thanks!
"I've got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me."
"Indian fighting is good experience for our kind of conversations"
Paraphrased ......after he just swatted someone down...

“If you don’t respect your elders, at least respect your betters”

Maybe McLintok
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Maybe McLintok

That was in Big Jake.
We haven't had a western actor anything like him since.
There’s a snake in my boot
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Maybe McLintok

That was in Big Jake.

Thanks........couldn’t place it in McLintok.........that’s why
I was trying to remember what Duke said to Bobby Vinton in “The Train Robbers”
About being a man.
“You’re gonna spend the rest of your life getting up one more time than you’re knocked down”.

"No. You got me scared. You do it." Big Jake.

One of his best scenes.

A minute later: "I thought you were dead, Mr. McCandles"

JW: " Not hardly."

L.W.

Dam sure did

Post the movie.

Waiting.

Pitter patter.

I know it’s false.

I wanted him to know it’s false.

P
Originally Posted by slumlord
There’s a snake in my boot

That’s funny as hell.

Pull the string again.

L.W.

Dam sure did

Post the movie.

Waiting.

Pitter patter.

I know it’s false.

I wanted him to know it’s false.

P

Hahaha!

Might take a special kind of cghunt to want a John Wayne quote to end up on Snopes.
I respect The Duke too much to allow someone to falsely attribute quotes to him without hindrance.

P
Sure.

Why don't you go to the orphanage next Christmas and tell the kiddos that not only is Santa fake but Jesus hates them.
You could just take these quotes, sprinkle them with a little action and you's have another great John Wayne movie.
Woman should be a good cook. I'm a good cook myself.

...cold blooded murder, but I can live with it. Halley's happy.

Special privilege for special born. (derisively)
Originally Posted by blanket
The hell I won't
While poking Leo Gordon with a shotgun.......
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Top John Wayne movie quotes - 05/08/22
“A gun that’s unloaded and cocked ain’t good for nothing.”

John Wayne, from the movie “True Grit,” 1969.
© 24hourcampfire