Home
To piggy back Wabi's movie thread, what was the first movie you ever saw in a theatre?

Mine was "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams"

I was very young but it left a lasting impression on me.
First movie I have recollection of is Lords of Flatbush and that was at a drive-in.
Wizard of OZ
Originally Posted by FatCity67
First movie I have recollection of is Lords of Flatbush and that was at a drive-in.

Traci Lords of Flatbush?

OH wait, you're not Hanco!

lol
Assuming Drive-In theaters count ... Old Yeller.

If not, if only indoor fancy theaters count ... 2001 A Space Odyssey.
I saw quite a few at the drive in with my parents which used to be a family thing. The first I remember going to at a theater was the original Star Wars parent free.

Where the Red Fern Grows.

🦫

Wait...Lady & The Tramp was first - I think. Lol
Deep Throat
Originally Posted by hanco
Deep Throat

Black and White back then?

Lol

🦫
8th grade class trip ,we all went to see Gone With The Wind . A ll us boys on the back row fell out laughing when we heard " Frankly my dear I don't give a damn" and all the girls were just crying their eyes out !!
I think it was a double feature. Walt Disney. Nikki wild dog of the north and the other was the Walt Disney story of John Wesley Powell in the grand Canyon. I remember going with dad.
Harry and the Hendersons.
ET
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by hanco
Deep Throat

Black and White back then?

Lol

🦫

It was the original one with Charlie Chaplin.
Back in 70 or 71 The whole junior high English class got on a bus and drove to the big town to see Mary Queen of Scotts. the teacher wanted us to pay attention to the costuming and the proper english accents
Elvis 68 comeback special with my mom. I guess she couldn't find a sitter.
The original Alice in Wonderland. I was in the 1st grade.
The Cowboys
Across the great divide. Longest yard with Burt Reynolds at the drive in
Don't remember the movie 'cause it wasn't a cartoon or a kiddy movie. Spent lot's of time at my maternal grandparents place when the parents were working or just busy. Rode a bus into the city with my grandmother to a big fancy downtown theater to catch a matinee of something she wanted to see. I was blown away by the fancy interior of the theater. IIRC it was the old RKO Palace in downtown Rochester NY because I recall that it had the word "palace" in it's name and that's what I thought it was. The inside was certainly palatial for a 5 year old who'd never seen such fancy stuff except on TV. This was circa 1955 and that place is long gone. I thought the movie sucked so I lost interest in it but the high point of my day was riding a city bus and seeing that fancy theater.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Traci Lords of Flatbush?

lol

Ren50Fiddy +1
Nevada Smith and Ten Commandments, double feature
Old yeller
Shenadoah , Jimmy Stewart at the theater .
Jason and the Argonauts
Jailhouse Rock, with Elvis.
How the West was Won. The theme music still gives me chills.
My side of the mountain or willy wonka in the early 70,s.

My mom took me and my brother to Johnathan Livingston Seagull also.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴😕😕😕
I was around 3 and went with my older sisters to see Rumplestiltzkin. Scared the hell out of me.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Jason and the Argonauts

Winner!

Only saw it on tv as a little rat.

Still a favorite and probably why I’ve always like Viking and gladiator flics.

🦫
Rudolf the red nosed reindeer. I was 6 and my big sister took me.
Last year High School. Senior "sneak". They drove the bus over to Boise and parked it between two theaters.

A bunch of kids wanted to see "The Exorcist" but the chaperones told them they were on their own, with that. They did not want to hear from the parents about it. So half the class headed one direction to see "The Exorcist" while the rest of us went the other way to see "The Great Gatsby" along with the chaperones.

What a disappointment! I should have sat on the bus and read a book.

The next movie was a first date with a young lady I worked with. Four years later, 1978, "Capricorn One" with the OJ.
Except for that long forgotten, dull matinee movie I saw at age 5 with my grandmother in my previous post; the first one that I can recall seeing in a theater was "The Alamo" back in 1960. Saw that on a Saturday afternoon with my cousin. That would have been the first movie theater experience where I watched the entire movie from start to finish and it was pretty exciting for a 10 year old.
Maybe Gone With The Wind - the 1961 rerelease, not the 1939, or 1942, or 1947, or 1954.

Traci Lords of Flatbush?

lol

Ren50Fiddy +1

Beat Film ever!!!
👍👍👍
😄😄😄

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The first one I remember was the original Bonnie and Clyde with Faye Dunaway and Warren Beaty. 1967 with my mom dad and two older brothers.
The Gnome Mobile. LOL!
I'm pretty sure it was Bambi.

It obviously didn't take.
Star Wars 1977
One of the Bond movies about 1977.
Originally Posted by renegade50

Traci Lords of Flatbush?

lol

Ren50Fiddy +1

Beat Film ever!!!
👍👍👍
😄😄😄

Originally Posted by renegade50

Traci Lords of Flatbush?

lol

Ren50Fiddy +1

Beat Film ever!!!
👍👍👍
😄😄😄

Is it good?
I know I saw others with my parents, but the first I vividly remember was making them take me to "Godzilla vs Megalon" in '73. I was 4.
Originally Posted by bkraft

How the West Was Won---The first one...Thats the same movie I remember seeing for the first time in a theater. Looked it up, was released in 1962. Still a pretty good movie.
Earliest one I remember was A Hole in the Head. I remember the song High Hopes. I was little and I thought the part about an ant moving a rubber tree plant was hilarious.
My parents took me to see Hawmps! in '76.
Little Toote.
Old Yeller for me. Don't go there any more.
The first movie I saw was at the drive inn, frogs.
The Jungle Book in or about 1969.
Either hocus pocus or Wayne’s world
Von Ryan's Express
Sound of Music Worlds fair in Seattle 1962
A Lash LaRue Western. 1948
Jurassic Park is the first I can remember, probably others before that.
Originally Posted by hillestadj

I can’t remember a lot of movies I went to either.

🤷🏽‍♀️🦫
The Battle of the Bulge in Tokyo in 1964.
Don't know if its the first, but it was the first that my family all went together to a real movie theater. We saw the Yellow Rose of Texas with John Wayne.Of course we got to see the news reel and at least one cartoon was shown. I think kids were ten cents, adults were a quarter. The six of us cost dad ninety cents. WE could not afford the pop corn though. Big money back in those days.

We had neighbor that had some kind of connections so he could get a projector and full length movies. He would put a big sheet up on his outside garage wall and the neighborhood would gather on his lawn and watch free movies. I have no recollection what they were, but a lot of B&W cowboy movies with Tex Ritter, Lash Larue, Hopalong Casidy, Red Ryder and such

🤷🏽‍♀️🦫

Damn gurl, rude of him to hold the back of your head down like that. Did you at least catch the gag reel?
Either Star Wars or Orca the Killer Whale.

🤷🏽‍♀️🦫

Damn gurl, rude of him to hold the back of your head down like that. Did you at least catch the gag reel?

No...Wait.

You see, I was the dude. Fûck it - never mind.

Lol

🦫
The first movie I ever went to was Keystone Cops. I think I was in the 5th grade!
1977. I was 8 years old.

My older brother and 2 older cousins took me to this movie. There’s a scene where Bigfoot slams his fist through the cabin window! To this day, I’ll never forget everyone screaming. Scared the he11 out me back then! My mom was pissed they took me! haha

The Sting. I was way too little to grasp any of it, except the theme song.

First movie I saw in the theater that really made an impression on me was Star Wars. Gave me a love of movies that has never went away.

Too bad the vast majority of movies made today suck balls.
Pretty sure it was Disney's Jungle Book we did watch other shows so I'm not sure. ...BUTT they did all start with a cartoon until I mid 70s
Can’t remember the name , but some guy was driving a charger I think it was , on a cross country bet and ended up crashing into a dozer road block at the end .
Sometime in the early-mid seventies .
Kenneth
Vanishing Point was the movie Kenneth 66.
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Can’t remember the name , but some guy was driving a charger I think it was , on a cross country bet and ended up crashing into a dozer road block at the end .
Sometime in the early-mid seventies .
Kenneth

Vanishing Point. Great flick. It was a Challenger.
A back to back of Bonnie and Clyde and Bullitt.
"Magnum Force" When i was 10 yrs old... My older sister bought me a ticket and ditched me there for a couple hrs... I thought it was Thrilling!, And to this day the only handgun i own is a "357 Magnum"... Went back on my own and watched "American Graffiti"... Problem with that was, I grew up to be "Bob Falfa"... lol
"The Ghost and Mr. Chicken", starring Don Knotts.
Must have been 1966 or thereabouts.
Top Gun, 1986. I was 3. One of my earliest memories.

The first one I plainly remember?

Willy Wonka
Might have been Legend of Boggy Creek

Still enjoy both today
I'm pretty sure it was one of those awful Disney nature films called Cougar Country. Would have been about 1970. I was 5.
Pinnochio at the Hollywood in College Hill. I was 3. It was a complete fiasco. I think it was the whale that set me off and I panicked and went up over the back of the seat. Mom had to take me out of the theatre.

They had a similar problem with Babes in Toyland. There was about a year's hiatus before they tried it again. The first one I sat through was 101 Dalmations.
Jungle book possibly Bambi as a very young boy is the first I can recall.
Originally Posted by bkraft

Same for me....saw it when I was 5 or 6 at a theater in Golden, Co.
I have no idea, most likely I was asleep in the back eat of my fathers 1954 Olds.
Thanks , Vanishing point it was .
Kenneth
Namu the Killer Whale (1966) at the Capitan theater in Pasadena Tx. Drive in movie was Father Goose in 1964.
first one I remember is ET, saw it 6 times my mom says at the theater
Green Berets with John Wayne in 1968

I recall other other movies. Might have been before or after Green Berets.
No idea as there was a small movie theater in the little town I grew up in; I remember being young and going with my siblings but can't remember what we saw. The first I remember my parents taking us kids to (the town theater had benn closed quite a few years by this time) was Star Wars.

🤷🏽‍♀️🦫

No...Wait.

You see, I was the dude. Fûck it - never mind.

Lol

🦫

Cactus Flower starring Goldie Hawn. Made out with Vicky Wonderly the whole time. Probably about 1970. I was 15.

Mackey.
Bambi
I believe it was 'The Sting'
That's the first one that I actually remember.

First movie at a theater I can recall the title of was Gone With The Wind. I wasn't old enough for school yet. My Mom had been wanting to see it real bad so she drug me along with her to a afternoon matinee. Must've slept through most of it as the only thing I remembered about the movie itself was the audience reaction at the "Damn" word.

Parents took me to another movie at a theater before that, a cowboy movie, but I don't remember the name or anything else about it other than they (allegedly) had the actual saddle the star rode in the movie as a promotional thing.

Went to a theater with 'Charlotte' the little girl who lived across the street on my first 'date' at 10 years old. Parents drove us and picked us up. She wore her best Sunday outfit, hair done up in curls and I wore a sport coat, dress pants, white shirt and bow tie, shined shoes, hair all slicked back with dad's "A little dab'll do-ya" Brylcreem. Don't remember much about that movie either other than it was a kids specific movie.
Flipper.
Jeremiah Johnson
First one I remember is The Blue Max - 1966.
Mutiny on the Bounty, at the Fox Theater in La Junta, CO.
Old Yeller for me also.

I was about 8 years old, so it would have been about 1960.

Virgil B.
I want to say it was The Apple Dumpling Gang, but it's tough to remember back that far.
I don't remember the 1st, but it likely had something to do with Davy Crockett. He was a big item back then. The matinees had 2 movies running all day with cartoons in between. You paid a quarter to get in the door, then you could stay all day watching the 2 movies as many times as you liked. They didn't clear the theater with cattle prods after each movie like they do today.
The Incredible Journey- theater
Soylent Green- drive-in
Originally Posted by JeffyD
"The Ghost and Mr. Chicken", starring Don Knotts.
Must have been 1966 or thereabouts.

That was my first Movie I recall seeing at a Drive-In with my Parents. It was 1966 and I was 6. That Organ music really creeped me out and Mom said I had nightmares about it. 😬

First movie in a Theatre was 1968. The Western “5 Card Stud” staring Dean Martin. Went to see it with my Uncle who was 7 years older than me.
Grandma dropped us off at the Theater. The old Paramount.
It had stars and clouds that moved across the ceiling of the Theatre. Cool old Theater. Saw most of the John Wayne Movies there when I was a kid. Like The Green Berets, Big Jake, HellFighters, The Cowboys, etc. Good Times as a kiddo! 🤠👍🏻
Ben Hur
Every Saturday the local cinema hosted “The Saturday Morning Club” in common with theatres around England, and us unaccompanied unwashed street urchins would cheer all the goodies in the B&W American Cowboy movies and boo all the baddies 🙂

The first REAL movie I recall I woulda been seven. Me, my brother and a group of boys from our street walked about two miles across town to see “Zulu”. The whole front on the movie theatre was decked out in Zulu posters and more big free-standing cardboard cutouts in the lobby.

What a great first movie, ain’t been topped since 😎

🤷🏽‍♀️🦫

Damn dude! Be careful! You're going to knock Kingston's fancy hat off!

#eagerbeaver

LOL
First I remember was Sink the Bismark, viewed at a drive-in. Others seen at the Langley in Prince George’s County, MD were Dog of Flanders, Darby O’Gill and the Little People, and Invaders from Mars.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
First I remember was Sink the Bismark, viewed at a drive-in. Others seen at the Langley in Prince George’s County, MD were Dog of Flanders, Darby O’Gill and the Little People, and Invaders from Mars.

Darby O’Gill..... sheer terror when the banshee arrived, I covered my eyes, I couldn’t watch grin
Debbie does Jerusalem
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Darby O’Gill..... sheer terror when the banshee arrived, I covered my eyes, I couldn’t watch grin

You and me both!

Invaders From Mars was pretty scary too.

🤷🏽‍♀️🦫

#eagerbeaver

LOL

Damn you, Rooster!

🖕🏾😂🦫
unfair! Way to long ago to remember.

"Your Cheating Heart" with George Hamilton
That Sasquatch movie.
Jaws
'7 Brides for 7 Brothers'

the whole family, mom, dad, brother............. I would have been about 8 or 9..........
The Pit was the name if I recollect. Was a young boy, and they still had the drive in. First movie, and first boobs I remember
We did mostly drive-ins with 4 kids. We had a choice: Windows up and fogged up or windows down and mosquitos. The first I can remember was "101 Dalmatians".

The first I can remember in an actual theater (The Strand) was "The Blue Max". We lived in a small city and the theater was about a 1/2 mile walk. I was 10 yrs old (1966) and it was a matinee that I attended with my 11yr old brother.

ps
First boobs was the same year and the movie was "Hawaii". Native Hawaiian boobs.
The first i remebefr was smokey and the bandit! Second was red dawn
I think a Smokey and the bandit remake would be great but can’t think who to play Burt
Originally Posted by IA_fog
The first i remebefr was smokey and the bandit! Second was red dawn
I think a Smokey and the bandit remake would be great but can’t think who to play Burt

It would either be Vin Diesel, The Rock or Tracy Morgan
Jungle Jim when I was 6.
The Blob starring Steve McQueen in 1958
First one I can remember is The Sting at the drive in. I might have been 4 years old.

🤷🏽‍♀️🦫

#eagerbeaver

LOL

Damn you, Rooster!

🖕🏾😂🦫

grin
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

You and me both!

Invaders From Mars was pretty scary too.

Invaders was at the top of my SciFi movie list. But I think I saw it on a TV.
First I can remember at a "thee ay ter" is How the West was Won.

That scene of the bison crashing through dugout roof, about the 2:16 mark scared the crap out of a 7.5 year old kid. In glorious Cinemascope and Technicolor crap too.

My first was "Song of the south" - Zippadee do da ... at the majestic Tennessee Theater in Knoxville, TN
Pretty sure it was “Hatari” with John Wayne and Red Buttons.
ET maybe
The first i I remember seeing in a movie theater was The Sound of Music, in Managua, Nicaragua, about 1965.
The first movie I went to as a kid was Bambi. Must not affected me, I enjoy hunting still.
Not sure….probably Ole Yeller! The first one I actually know for sure….Beach Blanket Bingo! memtb
Shane.
White Fury. About some huge Polar Bear that a guy hunted and shot.

Ron
Jungle Book
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Jungle Book

Knew you were racist.
All the apes are voiced by black actors.
Originally Posted by Raferman
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Jungle Book
Knew you were racist.
All the apes are voiced by black actors.

LOL
That Darn Cat
Debbie does Dallas
To piggy back Wabi's movie thread, what was the first movie you ever saw in a theatre?

Mine was "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams"

I was very young but it left a lasting impression on me.
Not exactly sure, but I think it might have been "Gone With The Wind". I do know it was at the theater in Hickory Plains, Ar. It was gone a few years later with most of the rest of the business' there. People moving from the small farms to the city. miles
Jaws...

Ben Gardner's head popping out of the boat freaked me out.
The first I remember were films in 1966...either the Blue Max with George Peppard, or Grand Prix with Steve Mcqueen. I do not know which one I saw first.
I have the vaguest recollections of Johnathan Livingston Seagull. Really just memories of memories at this point probably. That of standing up, looking over the seat backs, music and birds flying. I would have been 4.
© 24hourcampfire