Home
Posted By: ironbender .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Flying over our little aeropuerto. (Cinco de Mayo ref). Doing touch/goes or just over? Dunno

Just wondering designation?

Tks.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22
Won't you take me down to Memphis....
C 17 probably.
Posted By: MikeJinVT Re: .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22
C17
Posted By: fgold767 Re: .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22
c17
Posted By: ironbender Re: .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22
Guessing C-17.

Cargo, fuel? Main use?

Probably down from JBER
Posted By: LoadClear Re: .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22
Definitely a C-17… call sign Sitka 53, 144th Airlift Squadron, AKANG. Did a low level to Kenai Airport, a few GOATs (go around after touchdown- not a true touch and go since only the main gear touches)… then a trip around Denali.

My old unit… I just texted a buddy of mine who happens to be driving it.

It’s a cargo plane that can carry large cargo, up to 171,900 lbs into and out of strips as short as 3500’ (well, it’s not carrying that much on short strips, but if light enough it can). It also does airdrop of cargo and personnel. Smaller than a C-5, larger than a C-130.
Posted By: bcp Re: .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22
Looks smaller.

Maybe a C1.7?

Bruce

Attached picture c17.jpg
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22
c17 globemaster 3
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Definitely a C-17… call sign Sitka 53, 144th Airlift Squadron, AKANG. Did a low level to Kenai Airport, a few GOATs (go around after touchdown- not a true touch and go since only the main gear touches)… then a trip around Denali.

It’s a cargo plane that can carry large cargo, up to 171,900 lbs into and out of strips as short as 3500’ (well, it’s not carrying that much on short strips, but if light enough it can). It also does airdrop of cargo and personnel. Smaller than a C-5, larger than a C-130.

Amazing the weight they can carry.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Just noticed a typo- it’s 170,900 lbs, not 171,900. It’s max gross is 585,000.

Most I’ve ever carried personally is about 145,000

Hahaha!

I am..more or less..my Cessna's useful load.

Thanks, bud. They seem nimble? Like perhaps shorter runways?

It put enough roar I had to go take a look.
Nimble for a half million pound aircraft lol! It does have a stick, like a fighter instead of a yoke.
Years ago, we took a couple KC-135 pilots from Eilson up for a ride. When we landed, we made the first taxiway turn off the runway which is something like 800’ from the threshold. The 135 guys were pretty blown away. We were light, maybe 350K or so.
Posted By: 79S Re: .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22

Can’t they carry two Bradley fighting vehicle? I think might be wrong on that maybe it’s one. I do know they can carry one M1A2 Abrams tank without reactive armor on it. Something like that.
I’d have to look for my old e-manuals… I’ve never carried 2 Bradley’s- know how much they weigh? The M-1 in airlift config weighs 135,000. I’ve carried one of those with a bunch of other palletized stuff- that was my heaviest haul- about 145 total.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22
Loadclear, you forgot the C-141 between the C130 and the C-17's. They were the main large cargo acft. up until the C-5 came into production
I suppose all of the C-141's are in the boneyard!
By the way, Real Planes have Props grin
Originally Posted by kennymauser
Loadclear, you forgot the C-141 between the C130 and the C-17's. They were the main large cargo acft. up until the C-5 came into production
I suppose all of the C-141's are in the boneyard!
By the way, Real Planes have Props grin

Didn’t forget them lol, the C-17 replaced them. NASA still had an airworthy one at least a few years ago.
Thank all.
Posted By: blairvt Re: .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22
Our unit put 3 Blackhawks in one
Posted By: 79S Re: .mil Plane ID? - 05/06/22
I’d have to look for my old e-manuals… I’ve never carried 2 Bradley’s- know how much they weigh? The M-1 in airlift config weighs 135,000. I’ve carried one of those with a bunch of other palletized stuff- that was my heaviest haul- about 145 total.

No I don’t know the weight of Bradley’s, all I remember when my bde out of Carson did a heavy rotation to Kuwait they had to fly 2 Bradley’s to Egypt along with crew and dismounts. They flew out Ali Al Saleem in C17’s.
© 24hourcampfire