Home
Posted By: kaywoodie Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
He and his brother Winston opened Burnham Brothers sporting goods in Marble Falls Tx. Many may remember their game calls they made and sold for years. The callingest calls made. I remember buying my first fox call at their shop in Marble when I was a kid in 1967. Later lost that one out hunting. He passed the 26th of April about 9 days after his wife Jolene. He was 93.

End of an era. I know Mr. Robeson bought out Murray in 91 and moved the shop to Menard Tx. Brother Winston been passed quite a while now.
Posted By: JimH Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
I always enjoyed seeing them in Outdoor Life back in the 70's.
May he rest in peace.

I have one of his original quail calls and an old predator call. Good stuff!

Ed
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
Sorry to hear of that, KW.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
Rest in peace Murray Burnham.

Got my first calls from Burnham Bros. way back 1977'ish, still remember the little catalog.

I think their fathers name was Morton, he was an absolute pioneer of game-calling, he learned to use a reed/leaf of some type to mimic a distressed animal.

93 years is a good run.

Thanks for posting Kaywoodie . . .
These two led the way using mouth calls for varmits. Still have a couple I bought from them in 1969. Hasbeen.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
Burham Bros. Mini-Blaster, best call ever for me, I rarely pick up anything else.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
He and his brother were legend in the sport. Real pioneers.

So tough on the family losing two so close together. God bless the family left behind.
We deer hunted near Marble Falls several times as a kid. I remember going into their store. I actually day hunted their mother's place one time a million years ago.
Posted By: 673 Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
I talked to Murray Burnham on the phone about 35+ years ago, it was about Deer calls, and he was just so full of information.
It was an honor to speak to him, RIP.
I had some of their calls. I'm not sure what I did with them.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
I also had one of their mouth blown predator calls, many years ago. Good guys they were.
I got some of their fox calls decades ago. Still have them and they still call more predators in than my e-caller.

No schit.
Originally Posted by DubThomas
We deer hunted near Marble Falls several times as a kid. I remember going into their store. I actually day hunted their mother's place one time a million years ago.

You remember the rattlesnakes in the front window of their shop? 🤣
I've got a Burnham Bros. predator call somewhere in my hunting gear. RIP
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
I hunted ferel cows with him a couple of times. He said they crossed from Mexico. I don't know. None were branded

He was a hoot to hunt with. We would shoot them butcher on the ground and cut bone with a chain saw and then hang the meat all around the camp on the corral and barb wire fences until it got a bit of a crust in and then put it in the freezers with generators running the freezers. We had to stop a lot on the way back to Colorado to rotate the meat top to bottom in the freezers to keep it from spoiling.

One comment I remember one comment he made after cooling off in the Rio Grande. ( I like hunting with some of the writers but you know, they just don't cut up like we do )

Cheapest burger I ever bought and fun as hell.

RIP Murray
I’ve got one of their record players with half dozen different records for various calls and the speaker.

Runs off of D-Cell batteries and still works. That thing was hell on coyotes, crows , foxes and several bob cats.
True innovators.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
True innovators.

Long before the Primos Brothers came along.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
Never heard of him,but at 93 he deserves respect.RIP
Posted By: hanco Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
I went to a wedding last Saturday in Marble Falls

RIP Sir
God Speed Murray!!
Posted By: memtb Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22

Definitely a pioneer in the field…..RIP Mr Burnham! memtb
Posted By: lotech Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
I still have at least one Burnham Bros. varmint call that I purchased about 1965. Those guys were legends.
Hey Woodie...
Was his place in Marble Falls on 1431, just west of 281?
I remember going in there and seeing a Savage bolt gun for $199.99 in a Lazeronni cartridge
and a box of Lazeronni ammo right next to it for $149.99. If that was his place,it was cool.
Lots of fishing stuff too if I remember correctly. It's a furniture store now if my memory ain't
too foggy.
Posted By: powdr Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
The "Father of Calling" and that includes rattlin'. He was a master at camouflage and understanding animals. powdr
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Hey Woodie...
I remember going in there and seeing a Savage bolt gun for $199.99 in a Lazeronni cartridge
and a box of Lazeronni ammo right next to it for $149.99. If that was his place,it was cool.
Lots of fishing stuff too if I remember correctly. It's a furniture store now if my memory ain't
too foggy.

Bart,
There old store is now some kind of women’s boutique shop just next door and north of Double Horn Brewery. That old street that parallels 281 was H Street I believe. Almost straight across 281 from Bluebonnet cafe. Had a 10/22 deluxe 200th year that came out of their place in ‘76.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/06/22
I read about them hunting back in the 60’s and 70’s. Hunting in the Kaibab Plateu for huge Mulies. RIP Mr Burnham.

Ron
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Hey Woodie...
too foggy.

Bart,
There old store is now some kind of women’s boutique shop just next door and north of Double Horn Brewery. That old street that parallels 281 was H Street I believe. Almost straight across 281 from Bluebonnet cafe. Had a 10/22 deluxe 200th year that came out of their place in ‘76.

Edit! That store you were refering to Bart, on 1431 just west of 281 was Leonard Storeys old shop. Sorry just remembered that.
Almost straight across 281 from Bluebonnet cafe.

Ok,I know where that is.
The Bluebonnet Cafe... Pretty good place to eat. Only place I've ever seen that had a "Pie Happy Hour".
I took Scott(Steelhead)there to eat when he visited me,the time I lived in Burnet. We had a hellova time...

Edit! That store you were refering to Bart, on 1431 just west of 281 was Leonard Storeys old shop. Sorry just remembered that.

You still working at that gun shop on Lamar? Or is it Burnet Rd? I always got those two mixed up. Ain't Lamar closer to downtown?
No I had to leave when the wife had her first stroke Dec 2014. It was on Lamar. Not far from UT campus. I don’t miss driving to town.
Posted By: okie Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/07/22
I have one of their old squeakers and a 45 record. Old stuff.
Who remembers the “Weems” calls ? I still have some of their closed reed All Calls and Dual Tones. They lured in lots of fur for us…
Posted By: DMc Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/07/22
I'm surprised the Burnham Brothers didn't wipe out the varmint population around Marble Falls. Varmint calling is one of my fondest memories of days-gone-by.
Posted By: EdM Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/07/22
Never heard of him but recall a decent gun shop there some years ago. I think they make candles now.
Posted By: add Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/07/22
Good Night Sweet Prince!

[Linked Image from prod-images.tcm.com]
Posted By: poboy Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/07/22
I met Murray at a Tx. Trappers and Fur Hunters rendezvous.
He did a big demo for us, long time ago.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/07/22
Sorry to hear that. I know I have at least one Burnham call on my call lanyard.

Memory Eternal.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/07/22
We invited him to be one of the Judges for our annual predator calling contest CSVCA here in SO Cal back in 86 there bouts much to our surprise he drove out from Texas in his Motor home by his lonesome to judge the contest he and I talked predator calling for a few hours during one of the days he was here. Kilt my very first Coyote with one of his brown plastic predator calls back in the late 1970's. Very gracious man RIP Sir.
There's worse places than Marble Falls , Texas.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Well, it’s not as un-worst place as it used to be.

‘Nother piece of the old Texas has passed on.

RIP Mr Burnham.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/07/22
R.I.P. Called my first coyote with their call back in the early 60's.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Well, it’s not as un-worst place as it used to be.

‘Nother piece of the old Texas has passed on.

RIP Mr Burnham.

Btw, Birdy. The Burnham’s were descendants of the Old 300.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Murray Burnham has passed - 05/07/22
RIP I’ve used their calls back in the day
© 24hourcampfire