Home
Posted By: Borealis Bob Fall Alert Suggestions - 05/12/22
I need to travel overseas for a couple weeks in July. I am caring for my brother, who has Parkinson's. Veteran, 100% disability.

I am aware of the respite services the VA offers, both nursing home and in home respite visits. He would like to remain home while I am gone, as his severe depression would make a nursing home stay very uncomfortable (it will be inevitable at some point). As those of you with loved ones with this disease know, there are relatively good days, then really bad days.

I am leaning towards the in home respite visits (with other relatives helping out) and want to get one of those "I've Fallen and Can't Get Up" devices in case he does have a fall when no one is around. His falls, so far, are infrequent, otherwise I would not risk him being at home and opt for the nursing home stay.

Does anyone have recommendations on these devices? There are so many to choose from. Need one that only relies on cell phone tower nearby so that it can connect with 911.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Posted By: kennyd Re: Fall Alert Suggestions - 05/12/22
Any advice froma case worker? Ask the local paramedics for experiences. What may work well in one area may be dismal there.
Good luck.
That's a good idea. Thanks!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Fall Alert Suggestions - 05/12/22
My concern would be would your brother be physically able to activate the device if he were having a bad day when he fell.
Posted By: tater74 Re: Fall Alert Suggestions - 05/12/22
Engage a house sitter or a home health agency.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
My concern would be would your brother be physically able to activate the device if he were having a bad day when he fell.

Yes, that has entered my mind as well.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Fall Alert Suggestions - 05/12/22
My mom got an Apple Watch that has that feature. Now she always answers her phone calls through her watch...
Thanks, Whiptail. I will look into that.
Posted By: MtnHiker Re: Fall Alert Suggestions - 05/12/22
We use great call lively for my MIL. It is a device that can be pendant or belt worn, detects falls and has montored dispatch. So far it has worked well.
© 24hourcampfire