Home
Posted By: 2ndwind bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22

Skunk wins cool
Posted By: 673 Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
Hilarious!
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
Bet that bear never messes with a skunk again.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
Love it!
Posted By: Jericho Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
I have heard that great horned owls will kill and eat skunks, that would be a sight to behold
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
Great Horned Owls have taken several skunks from my yard, back when they had a nest in my back yard. I saw the remains of a skunk killed and eaten by a bear, I don't think the scent had much affect on that bear. The bear didn't eat the hind end but the front half was missing.

I've also found skunk parts outside coyote dens, at least some of those creatures seem to be unaffected by the scent. My dogs have shown no aversion to skunks, desskunking them happens at least a couple times a year.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
Hate skunks so much!
Posted By: DMc Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
...desskunking them happens at least a couple times a year.
Details please.
Posted By: DMc Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
Saw an albino skunk once. That was cool.
Posted By: Sprint11 Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
Chemical warfare is effective.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22

This looks like just asking to be stung to death.... I figure the bear has thick fur but no clue how a skunk survives this. Pretty strange the guy was upset his yellow jacket nest got eaten.
Posted By: hanco Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
They sure as hell stink, had several pointers that really liked to kill them, took joy bringing the dead skunks to you like a prize. We killed 15 one day near Cisco, wifey wouldn’t let me in the house when I got home.
Posted By: greydog Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
Skunks can be bothersome but they are a grasshopper eating machine. One neighbor told hold he was controlling skunks by shooting them at night in his hayfield, while they were eating grasshoppers. Good idea, I told him, they could ruin your grasshopper crop.
Had one dog which killed them regularly. He was unaffected by the spray. He also killed badgers but didn't come out of those encounters unmarked.
Most animals do enough good to counterbalance their downside and I'll leave them alone but I don't much care for porcupines GD
Posted By: Irving_D Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
My dog is a 80lb 8yr old pit mastiff mixed, she would loose a race with a snail. The first thing she decided to do after my accident loosing a few fingers was sneak up on a skunk and take a full blast to the face. That was a ton of fun to clean up at midnight in the middle of November
Posted By: smokepole Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
That first video was outstanding, you could see the spray. I came across a bear eating a yellow jacket nest once in Shenandoah National Park. He had bees swarming around his head but a lot less than the bear in the video, the one I saw was barely fazed by the bees.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
That was funny. NO ONE can stand up to the black and white invaders.

Tomato juice actually does work. I've used it with good success. There are other things that are probably better but a quart of juice is easy to keep around the house or in camp. It'll keep for years.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
My big pet tomcat Batman got hosed down by a skunk. What a mess! I cleaned Batman up with the tomato juice bath, it took 3 baths to finally get rid of [most] of the smell. A skunk is a real badass. Got that big white striped tail, he starts waving that, you better get out of town!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
It seems that most coyotes I’ve shot over the years have at least some skunk scent on them.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
When I had heelers I kept a bottle of tomato juice handy, used it two or three times a year, they even killed a skunk right in the back yard.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
I have a black mouthed cur dog. He gets sprayed a couple times each year. He'll never learn.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
Amazing bugs and critters.
Posted By: Brittdog Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
A couple years ago I had a young bear coming to my bait that had clearly been sprayed by a skunk. Almost had to climb down and leave when that bear came in.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
That bear's a pussy.

We've got a pair of male Rotts. The older one will average about 3 skunks per summer. He takes the spraying. Then tears the critter in two. Literally. Every skunk I've had to scoop shovel out of the yard was in two pieces. Dog doesn't seem to care. Don't know if that's a special kin of mean.......or a special kind of stupid ??
When I was young, I heard baby skunks could not spray. Around 1980, driving home from work on my rural asphalt road, there was a momma skunk and 5 babies walking across a bridge. Hell yes, I want to get one of those for a pet and get it fixed to not spray. I can catch one, no problem.

Slammed on the brakes and stopped my pickup. So far, so good and I can get one easy.
Got out and chasing them down was no problem. Grabbed last one of the pack and got a full spray!
Went home empty handed and the wife was pizzed and I stunk badly.

Lesson learned at an early age. I'm still a dumbass, just not so much anymore.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
In high school I had a friend jump out of the car and chase a baby skunk down planning the same thing. He threw his jacket over it pick it up and heard a pop sound. As far as I know his jacket is still there. He broke the land speed record getting back to the car before I could pull away.... The jacket caught all the spray.... luck for both of us.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
In high school I had a friend jump out of the car and chase a baby skunk down planning the same thing. He threw his jacket over it pick it up and heard a pop sound. As far as I know his jacket is still there. He broke the land speed record getting back to the car before I could pull away.... The jacket caught all the spray.... luck for both of us.
He was smarter than me. I did not throw a jacket over the skunk! frown
Posted By: mart Re: bear vs skunk... - 05/13/22
I always figured a wrist rocket and a one ounce glass bottle of skunk essence would be highly effective in dispersing protestors. Launch it high to land slightly upwind of the crowd. It would clear a blocked highway in a hurry.
© 24hourcampfire