Home
Laura asked me to restock our Tecnu (i.e. Poison Ivy "Soap").

Decided to Google Fu if there are generic or alternative options. Tecnu WORKS, but at $15 on 12 ounce... a bit pricey?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

https://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/forum/archives_handtools.pl/bid/3001/md/read/id/457638

Makes sense kinda... I have used WD-40, paint thinner, diesel (or whatever was handy) with success in the past.

She prefers not to smell like diesel... silly girl.
Dawn dish washing soap.

Prednisone if it breaks out.
When we got creosote burns we used 99 .9% pure alcohol. Water removed. Might work for that too. Worse thing to do is run to the truck and douse with ice water. It closes the pores locking the oil in.
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Dawn dish washing soap.

Copy that... same after the WD-40 or whatnot.
https://www.zanfel.com/help

This stuff works
Dawn dish soap and alot of rinsing works great for me. However if Im in the field without access to water to rinse the dawn off, Technu rubbed vigorously and then wiped off with paper towels has always worked well.
I've always been sensitive to poison ivy, so I'm on the lookout for it when in the bushes. I used to use Tide powdered laundry detergent to wash when I got in it. The granules added a scrubbing action, and the Tide seemed to work. I suppose any other powdered laundry detergent would work as well. I haven't used Dawn, but it would probably work as well because it's the same principle of oil removal.
I'm so glad the Poison Ivy doesn't affect me. grin
Homemade lye soap or Ivy Dry.

http://ivydry.com/products/ivy-dry-soap/
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Well then, you should tell her how sexy it is when she smells like your truck......

I've used gasoline in a pinch.
Horse manure poultice

The itch gets up and gallops away
Poison ivy has torn me up bad a few times. I really thought I would have scars for life from it .

I have gotten good at preventions. I saw a GREAT video on different techniques and learned the best thing you can do was use of course clean up well with Dawn dish soap (any degreasing soap) and but what made a noticeable difference was simply using a wash cloth while cleaning. The cloth grabs the surfacted oils and left skin better off than just soapy- water and hands.

If I get near that crap now I wash vigorously and take an antihistamine asap. Helps a heck of a lot.

If I am going to be near it I might spray on something as a barrier against urushiol.
If you've got it, fels naphtha soap in the laundry aisle will help dry it out.
Check out jewelweed.
Regular old soap. The oils will remain on clothes too….socks, shoes, shoe laces, lower pants legs.
Alcohol wipes. The big ones, not the tiny 'prep' pads. Alcohol will take the oil right off. I always have a couple big pads in my pack when I'm out running around.

Here's 1 example. There are many brands. Just get some that are big enough to really wet your skin down. ALCOHOL WIPES

A bottle of rubbing alcohol works fine, too, but you need to use it before the oil has time to start burning.
If you know you got it on you rub vegetable oil on the skin. Wash the oil off with soap
& water.
Never had a poison ivy rash in my life. Must be immune.
Originally Posted by shootem
If you know you got it on you rub vegetable oil on the skin. Wash the oil off with soap
& water.

Why screw with vegetable oil AFTER getting urushiol on your skin? I can see it as a possible barrier beforehand but why not just hot water, soap and like I mentioned- wash cloth after coming in contact? VO is an oil like urushiol. Just more oil for the soap to remove.....seems to me.
I read advice once to treat it like axle grease.

WD40 works well to help clean up axle greade, vegetable oil may as well. Then finish with soap.
Works for me😃. Seems oil in ivy is oil soluble. Vegetable oil combines to dilute then all is washed away with a good soap; Dawn being a good one.
Mean Green soap from 1970s is same thing as tecnu, except costs alot less.
Originally Posted by hunter4623
X100,000
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
Originally Posted by hunter4623
X100,000

Yessir. Costs a small fortune but it really works if you have it in a bad way. A small tube does last a long time. I get it from my dogs a few times each summer. Oil gets on their coats then it transfers to me. Zanfel gives immediate relief after you develop a rash.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Lots of people are immune to a point. Then they get careless and one day it'll nail them. It's a natural immunity but sometimes it disappears and you're susceptible for life. Be glad you have it but still avoid the stuff.
I never had any problems as a kid but sometime around 40 or so it started nailing me.
Alcohol based hand sanitizer and paper towels or cloth rag
I’ve used everything including unleaded gas. Technu is the best stuff I’ve found. YMMV

I have a cousin and neighbor who can eat it right off the tree and not get it sick
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Lots of people are immune to a point. Then they get careless and one day it'll nail them. It's a natural immunity but sometimes it disappears and you're susceptible for life. Be glad you have it but still avoid the stuff.
Plus 1.

The level of reaction to poison ivy is different for everyone but with enough exposure nearly everyone will have an allergic reaction. I have a lot of allergies and break out in nasty welts from poison ivy. The best thing to do for poison ivy if you have it and a bad reaction to it is to go get a steroid for it. Within a few hours you start feeling better and are significantly better within a day or two.
I am just glad that poison ivy and poison oak have never given me any trouble.

That said i do wash off with dawn soap and water that i make sure is in the truck if i am around it.
Originally Posted by Heeler
Homemade lye soap or Ivy Dry.

http://ivydry.com/products/ivy-dry-soap/
Originally Posted by tater74
Originally Posted by slugflinger
Check out jewelweed.

As per the OP, any detergent thats good with oils.
Kerosene, WD-40....do the same, acting as solvents.

If you don't know Jewelweed, it's Touch-Me-Nots.
They started growing around our deck, I let them go.
Kinda like 'em.
Plus, it's nice to have a poison Ivy treatment that's there all season,
handy, natural, and free.
The Poison Ivy Soap Company bar soap from Amazon has worked good for me. I’ll use it in the shower soon after being exposed and it seems to work. Been using it for years and each bar lasts a long time.
I carry Costco kirkland baby wipes in my trucks, and when I'm hunting. If I brush against any I just wipe it off. Some people overthink this.

Decided to Google Fu if there are generic or alternative options. Tecnu WORKS, but at $15 on 12 ounce... a bit pricey?

https://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/forum/archives_handtools.pl/bid/3001/md/read/id/457638

Makes sense kinda... I have used WD-40, paint thinner, diesel (or whatever was handy) with success in the past.

I can't believe you country PhU KS cant figure out how to get rid of poison ivy / oak.

Tecnu from wal mart and rubbing alcohol. scrub your aZZ with tecnu then pour rubbing alcohol all over. JFHC

if you don't use that method then you deserve what you get.

I'm in azzmunch Alabama trust me.
Don’t grab your dick.
Oh man, been there done that..

Applying caladryl with a cotton ball felt better than anything since I was 16 and new with girls....
Originally Posted by slugflinger
Check out jewelweed.

I have never gotten the rash and have worked in and around the stuff since I was a kid. Jewelweed grows abundant around here and I would use it in a heartbeat , though I do not have any firsthand experience using the stuff. The deer sure like eating it , though!
Originally Posted by tater74

This is what a doctor recommended to me in the mid eighties.
Originally Posted by strikeu

I can't believe you country PhU KS cant figure out how to get rid of poison ivy / oak.

Tecnu from wal mart and rubbing alcohol. scrub your aZZ with tecnu then pour rubbing alcohol all over. JFHC

Oh my...

Golly gee...
Originally Posted by strikeu

Country folks don't have to buy fancy "Poison Ivy Soap".
We do just fine with homemade lye soap or Fels Map the.
Just like we did long before your fancy crap was around.

Your skin would mummify if you bathed in alcohol daily.
You don't have to bathe in alcohol daily but carrying a couple of those big alcohol wipes when you in poison ivy country can save you a lot of pain later. The thing is, you'll have them right there on the spot. During the time it takes to go somewhere that there's Dawn soap available, the oil can do some damage. The wipes will take it off before any damage occurs. It's call 1ST AID, doing what helps FIRST.
© 24hourcampfire