Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
1 owner, only 29k on the clock. He bought it new but jobs around the world all of his life have limited his driving time. Now he's too old and injured to drive it.
To be auctioned. Any guesses what it's worth...or more accurately, what someone will pay for it?

SHELBY GT350

[Linked Image from a57.foxnews.com]
What a beautiful Shelby...
Posted By: Teal Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
I'd love to drive it just once.

Saw a GNX posted on twitter - 9 original miles. All plastic on the inside. #41X made - they wanted over 300k for it.

I imagine this one will go for quite a bit for sure.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
$500K
Wimbledon White and Guardsman Blue is my all-time favorite color scheme on a Mustang.
Near car, too bad owner didn't get to enjoy.
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Wimbledon White and Guardsman Blue is my all-time favorite color scheme on a Mustang.
Same here.
Posted By: Dumdum Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
I'm gonna guess it will go for around $425,000.

I remember when I was a kid I went with my Dad to a Ford dealership and looked at a '65 (or '66 ?) GT350 in their showroom. Wowsa. It was bare knuckles stripped down ready to race. No carpeting, no headliner, no radio, 5 point race "seatbelt", back seat replaced with an aluminum fuel cell, full roll cage. All I could do was drool.

Then the Ford marketing nerds got hold of it and in following years added creature comforts and weight.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Agreed but I'm also a sucker for the old Gulf Oil livery on a car.
Posted By: Dumdum Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22

I remember when I was a kid I went with my Dad to a Ford dealership and looked at a '65 (or '66 ?) GT350 in their showroom. Wowsa. It was bare knuckles stripped down ready to race. No carpeting, no headliner, no radio, 5 point race "seatbelt", back seat replaced with an aluminum fuel cell, full roll cage. All I could do was drool.

Then the Ford marketing nerds got hold of it and in following years added creature comforts and weight.
Originally Posted by Dumdum

I don't know if they still offer it but they used to sell basically a roller mustang. Stripped down like you say but no drivetrain for people to buy and race with. Drag/autocross etc. Recent body styles too.

They had the Cobra Jet Program too.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
$500K

I'm thinking seven figures.
Originally Posted by Dumdum

In 2000 Ford built 300 SVT Cobra R’s.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
My french teacher in high school had one just like it. Supposedly her husband was a race car driver of some sort. She had very short skirts for 1967.
1.75 mil
The old terminator Cobras - Ferrari killers. AMAZING cars that just punched above their weight. 2003, rated at 390 hp, was more like 430
Posted By: TimZ Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
He needs to take that thing to Barrett-Jackson or Mecum auctions and let them auction it off in front of the high rollers......I'm betting it would go north of $500k.....

Ok, just read it and he is auctioning it at Mecum Indy on Saturday......pls let us know what it goes for....
Posted By: BluMtn Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
In the mid 80's when I was a Washington State Trooper working S. Seattle one of my fellow Troopers ask me to follow him home one afternoon. We parked in his driveway and he started walking across the street and said to follow him. Walked to the house across the street and my friend walked into the garage and hit the door openers. Sitting SxS were a GT350 and GT500. The owner came out and we started talking and he said if you wanted to go straight really fast you drove the 500, but if you wanted to go fast a turn you wanted the 350. He said the 500's never really handled that well.
$6-700,000 is my guess considering that our money is severely devalued at the moment. Beautiful car.
Posted By: logger Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
I raced a 1966 Shelby GT 350 from 1971-1974. People forget how light cars of that era were - especially the Shelby's. No back seat, just a molded plastic piece. The front end would get kind of floaty at high speed, but they did handle decently - again for the times (and the tires). At the time I had a contact at Parnelli Jone's Firestone shop. He could get me used front Firestone Indy Car tires for cheap. Jones did bunch of testing and often the tires only had a lap or two on them. They worked great for short races. It was a true Unfair Advantage (in Mark Donahue's parlance).
Posted By: RyanTX Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
Friend of mine has the same car, except it is one of the "carry over" units. Carryover refers to the first 252 of the 1966 G.T. 350's. It has many of the same mechanical features as the 1965, including over-ride traction bars and lowered front suspension. So, these carryover cars are worth more than a regular 1966 G.T. 350 according to some. This one has less than 20k miles, but is not as pristine as the one above. He raced it in the early 70's, then it spent 1978-just recently in the garage with boxes stored on it. They were going to do a resto on it, but thankfully decided to keep it original, racing patina and all.
Posted By: AZmark Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by Plumdog
My french teacher in high school had one just like it. Supposedly her husband was a race car driver of some sort. She had very short skirts for 1967.

I love old cars.....and trucks..................BUT I want to hear more about this Frenchy in a miniskirt!
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
$6-700,000 is my guess considering that our money is severely devalued at the moment. Beautiful car.

Yep. Folks with deep pockets looking for somewhere to park cash. Art and other collectibles at auction going at record high prices.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
Gorgeous car...super jealous
Yeah Buddie. That's a nice ride.
Posted By: LBP Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by AZmark
Originally Posted by Plumdog

I love old cars.....and trucks..................BUT I want to hear more about this Frenchy in a miniskirt!
+1 pics or it didn’t happen
Beautiful car! I’d pay good money just to take her around the track once. Bucket list sorta thing. Like my ride in a P-51D.

There’s a lot of disposable money out there right now and it’s been on Fox. Plus she’s cherry and they’re not making anymore of those. $1.2mm
Posted By: DMc Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
$500K
Probably a close guess. Pathetic that they won’t consider my 10k offer.

Seems insane what ppl pay for classic cars.

Betcha Leno will be there either personally or represented.
Probably go for $300-400k. Should have put it on BaT instead of Mecum. Would take home a lot more of the money that’s bid on it.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Beautiful car! I’d pay good money just to take her around the track once. Bucket list sorta thing. Like my ride in a P-51D.

There’s a lot of disposable money out there right now and it’s been on Fox. Plus she’s cherry and they’re not making anymore of those. $1.2mm
That would be my guess, also.
Posted By: BLG Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Probably go for $300-400k. Should have put it on BaT instead of Mecum. Would take home a lot more of the money that’s bid on it.

He takes all of the money bid on it. The buyer pays the extra for the auction premium.

Clyde
Posted By: logger Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Yep. Folks with deep pockets looking for somewhere to park cash. Art and other collectibles at auction going at record high prices.

Can you imagine the capital gains he will pay, especially if the IRS considers it a collectible.
Realistically, should go for ~$400,000, but boozed-up bidders will run it up higher than that.
A kid I went to high school with had a 67 fastback with a paint scheme like this one. Beautiful car. Had a little 289 in it. One evening I watched him line up against a 68 trunk-back Mustang packing a 351 Windsor. That little 289 ate his lunch.
Posted By: Moby1 Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
If I had Elon Musk's wallet, that car would be mine ! It is my all time favourite model and if Ford made that same model with a more up to date suspension and interior and with the 5 litre engine, they would sell all they could make. It's visual appeal is timeless.
Posted By: SAM50 Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/18/22
Half a mil, minimum
The car would be worth a lot more OEM to a real collector

Unfortunately He added a supercharger after he bought it.
Warning:

Don’t ever go to a Barrett-Jackson or Mecum car auction with wads of money in your pocket plus your checkbook and when you’ve been drinking.

Don’t. Do. It.
$775,000
Does it come with a full tank of gas or not?
Originally Posted by logger

Can you imagine the capital gains he will pay, especially if the IRS considers it a collectible.

If the max capital gains is taxed at 28% and we assume that it sells for $700k then capital gains is roughly $196,000….chump change for a guy paying $700k in cash for an old car. 😁
Originally Posted by logger

If the max capital gains is taxed at 28% and we assume that it sells for $700k then capital gains is roughly $196,000….chump change for a guy paying $700k in cash for an old car. 😁

That’s 196k worth of tax if his gain is 700k, not just the sale price. Doubtful that’s the case.

Sweet ride.
Originally Posted by Moby1
...if Ford made that same model with a more up to date suspension and interior and with the 5 litre engine, they would sell all they could make. It's visual appeal is timeless.

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://revologycars.com/
Posted By: EdM Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by Moby1
...if Ford made that same model with a more up to date suspension and interior and with the 5 litre engine, they would sell all they could make. It's visual appeal is timeless.

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://revologycars.com/

A friend of mine recently took delivery of a GT-350. I think it set him back ~$250k or so. Nice car.
Posted By: EdM Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/19/22
My brother bought this '67 GT-500 when he graduated from college in 1975. It had a 427 medium riser engine. Needless to say, it scooted. He gave $4700 for it. He later repainted it back to the original colors. I saw 7K in a 7 litre.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I drove my brothers ‘68 GT350 in the early 80’s. It was fun but then he got engaged and sold it 🙁
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/19/22
I hope around the 600ish range. Be great if he gets more. Mustangs usually do pretty good at auction
Posted By: bbassi Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
$500K

I'm thinking seven figures.
I'd be amazed if it didn't.
Posted By: DMc Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/19/22
It is easier than learning all the famous painters names. But a bag of diamonds fits in your pocket.
Of all the Mustangs ever made, that one would definitely be near the top of my list.
Posted By: Heeler Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

I don’t know that the supercharger will hurt as it’s a period correct Paxton. That was ‘the brand’ in those days.
Posted By: logger Re: For sale: '66 Shelby GT350 - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Heeler
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

I don’t know that the supercharger will hurt as it’s a period correct Paxton. That was ‘the brand’ in those days.

And was also an option in 1966.
SOLD. $396,000

I was WAY off. Some were pretty close here.
© 24hourcampfire