Home
Posted By: saddlesore Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
I have 2004 Tacoma with a Leer topper on it. The glass door on the rear of the topper has a flashing that closes over the tail gate.Not a real dust stopper,but it helps. It was originally installed by the factory with double sided tape. This lasted about three months and the dealer replaced it twice then would not do anything about it.

I have been using foam pipe insulation and contact cement, but that only last about a year. There are four holes in the flashing,but I would have to drill holes thru the glass to attach it that way. I think I would need more than four screws and probably end up breaking the glass.

What can I use to glue the flashing to the glass?
Posted By: Pugs Re: Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I think I'd start with rubber cement and see how it goes. If it doesn't work Gorilla Glue or your favorite other polyurethane glue.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
Gorilla glue, maybe you can use shallow rivets instead of screws.
Unless it's tempered glass, it's easy to drill holes with a diamond glass bit. My wife does glass art and I've drilled many holes for her. Just go slow and have someone keep it wet with a squirt bottle. I suggest using bolts with rubber washers.
If it's tempered glass, don't even try. You'll break it for sure.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066983/

Industry standard for over 50 years.

Takes a few days to cure out, BUT crazy crazy strong.

Cleanup is tricky. Denatured alcohol and paper towel...

Use paper towel ONCE... throw away.

Repeat...

Repeat...

Repeat...

After curing... NOTHING cuts it.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
If it’s what I think you are saying, use a adhesive for bonding windows to the regulator window channel.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08641-Black-Compounds-Glazes/dp/B00HSCN7OO
Posted By: Bwana338 Re: Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
Go down to the Hobby Lobby store and look at the different craft glue's.

Ask for help or write down the different glues and go home an do an internet search for glass glues.

or just look for best glass glues.

BEST OVERALL: Loctite Ultra Gel Control Super Glue
RUNNER UP: Gorilla Clear Glue 1.75 ounce Bottle
BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Gorilla Super Glue with Brush & Nozzle Applicator
BEST GLUE FOR GLASS CRAFTS: Bearly Art Precision Craft Glue-The Original
BEST GLUE FOR PHONE SCREENS: CAT PALM B-7000 Adhesive, Multi-Function Glues Paste
BEST FOR LARGE JOBS: Rhino Glue Ultra Kit, Heavy-Duty
Posted By: JeffA Re: Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
I have 2004 Tacoma with a Leer topper on it. The glass door on the rear of the topper has a flashing that closes over the tail gate.Not a real dust stopper,but it helps. It was originally installed by the factory with double sided tape. This lasted about three months and the dealer replaced it twice then would not do anything about it.

I have been using foam pipe insulation and contact cement, but that only last about a year. There are four holes in the flashing,but I would have to drill holes thru the glass to attach it that way. I think I would need more than four screws and probably end up breaking the glass.

Funny.
When I purchased my LEER hard bed cover the installer told me the gasket that hangs over the bed, near the trucks rear window would come off.
He told me to use LOCTITE® SUPER GLUE ULTRA GEL to repair it.

It came off inside the first year, I did as he said and it's stayed on for a few years now.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
I installed a set of tinted rigid plastic window rain guards on my 2003 SUV 12 years ago and they're all still stuck solid. SUV was already 6 years old when I installed them. They came with a peel-off double faced adhesive tape about 1/4" wide included. Don't recall the brand name of the tape now but thinking likely a 3M product or another equally as good brand adhesive tape. If I were to try to remove them now I'm pretty sure the guards would break before the tape would loosen. Instructions said imperative to clean area of application spotless with mild soap / water and then wipe down well with included alcohol pads first then let dry.
Goop
Posted By: s2503000 Re: Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
Goop is a very good multi purpose adhesive.
Never had it fail .
Follow the advice for the real deal, application-specific automotive adhesives. No need to experiment.
Originally Posted by Pugs

I think I'd start with rubber cement and see how it goes. If it doesn't work Gorilla Glue or your favorite other polyurethane glue.
I tried the rubber cement. It didn't last

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Unless it's tempered glass, it's easy to drill holes with a diamond glass bit. My wife does glass art and I've drilled many holes for her. Just go slow and have someone keep it wet with a squirt bottle. I suggest using bolts with rubber washers.If it's tempered glass, don't even try. You'll break it for sure.

Even if it wasn't,I'd still probably break it .Wife's truck, that would not be good.

Thanks guys. Looks like the Locktite Super Gel,, Marine Adhesive ,or Channel Bonding. One should work,. Appreciate the help
Get some VHB tape. It is a high strength double sided tape made for bonding automotive panels.
Posted By: jimone Re: Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
Locktite 33 Depend adhesive. Used to glue vortex generators on airplanes.
Originally Posted by DavidReed
Get some VHB tape. It is a high strength double sided tape made for bonding automotive panels.

That might work. I use to use some hi-tech glue for bonding automotive panels on,but it required buying the applicator for a two part syringe
Originally Posted by DavidReed

That might work. I use to use some hi-tech glue for bonding automotive panels on,but it required buying the applicator for a two part syringe
VHB is super stout schitt.

VHB= very high bond.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Repeat...

Repeat...

Repeat...

Try using diesel fuel initially and then denatured alcohol or acetone for final clean up.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Repeat...

Repeat...

Repeat...

Try using diesel fuel initially and then denatured alcohol or acetone for final clean up.

I have about every kind of solvent. Even some that are now banned. Getting the contact cement off is a chore. Razor blade, Goo-Off and acetone. I suspect the diesel fuel works about like the Goo -Off
Posted By: gwrench Re: Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
Sounds like a job for 3M Weatherstrip adhesive. Auto parts stores should have it.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
How about the type of glue they use for rear view mirrors? An auto parts store may have some.
Loctite 406 is specifically formulated for plastic and rubber.
Originally Posted by gwrench
Sounds like a job for 3M Weatherstrip adhesive. Auto parts stores should have it.

I tried that, it didn't last.

Originally Posted by Cretch
How about the type of glue they use for rear view mirrors? An auto parts store may have some.

I think both surfaces have to be pretty flat. The part that the mating flashing is not.

Originally Posted by Orion2000
Loctite 406 is specifically formulated for plastic and rubber.

I need something that has fairly quick tack time Taking the entire window down and doing the job on a bench is not very easy. Whatever I do has to be done situ with clamps maybe.

Thanks everyone for taking the time and giving excellent ideas and advice.
If your considering 5200 use the fast cure in the red tube.
5200 is the shiznit
Posted By: las Re: Need help with some glues - 05/19/22
I use E6000 for quite a few things. Can't recall any failures. Worth a try, I think.
Ordered and used the VHB tape and used it to install the flashing on the topper. Hope it works
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Need help with some glues - 05/28/22
Go get recommendations from a mom and pop automotive glass shop. They likely would do it for cheap.
I have used a polyurethane caulk , not the self leveling kind ,to glue pert near everything from a construction standpoint. It has not failed me yet!
© 24hourcampfire