Home
Mine is barrel cleaning.
I wandered up the caliber range until you could tear off your shirt sleeve and shove that down the bore as it made life easier.
I detested cutting little squares or trying commercial ones made out of that putrid plasticy cotton substitute and fiddling with the damn things with endless loops, bore end pieces, brushes et al.

Smallest caliber (in the true sense) I have after rimfire's is .257 and that takes a lot of patience to to clean to the point it is over 25 years old and only fired a few hundred, mostly test loads. I then jump to 7mm where barely tolerable begins. My only muzzle loader is .54 and that's kinda nice. Used to have more .40 something caliber rifles than any other calibers in my rack.

If there is another, it is case trimming but I found a Lyman electric trimmer and that saved me.

What gets up your nose, but you have to do it?
The idea that a rifle barrel has to be cleaned to within an inch of its life or it is considered dirty....bothers me.
I do hate trimming brass…
Space. I have nowhere left to store anymore firearms.
Too many guns is like too much money!!
Shooting, it is noisy and I have to go outside.

mike r
I don’t have enough!
Guns are icky.
Barrel cleaning, reloading shells, that's about it......and Australian gun laws are too tough.
Patience. Patience when working on firearms is the name of the game unless you want to fug something up more than what it already is. I’m a lot better today than I was 30 years ago but it’s something that I still have to remind myself. My base tendency is to want to put it in the vice and rush through it to get it done ASAP😟
My biggest personal hang up regrading firearms…..is simply I don’t have enough of them.
I'm more likely to shoot myself rather than an intruder.
I shoot high volume 20's & 22's......not rimfire

In a hot p/dog patch where you can ran 65-70 rds an hour

This is not uncommon...A wet Sham Wow rag can aid in cooling

Mostly for a break......push a patch or two every hour or so

Get your spare rifle & let the hot one sit in the shade...upright...chimney effect

Have barrels with 10K+ rds and still shoot 1 MOA p/dog

Some barrels shoot good dirty & hot

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Too many guns is like too much money!!
Exactly.

I always keep a running list of 10-20 more guns that I’d like to add to my collection. That list changes overtime and is more aggressively pursued sometimes than at others but no matter how many I have I still have that 10-20 more guns running list that id like to own.
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r
God forbid, have to turn off Rawhide, with the feet havin th’beetus and all
Mine is gun snobs that cut down other gun owner's firearms because they only buy the most expensive, a certain type, or only tacticool weapons, and everything else is garbage. These folks let every one know............. sort of like when Vegans brag about their rabbit food to strangers..
I really hate gnats
When somebody brings brand X gun over-to zero that is supposed to shoot bugholes. Four brands of ammo later and the best group is 2 moa. Edk
Accidental discharges. Especially in cars. Some people should not own guns.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The idea that a rifle barrel has to be cleaned to within an inch of its life or it is considered dirty....bothers me.

Agree. I don't clean barrels until accuracy starts to deteriorate.
Over/ Under shot guns --- hmmm I like that one and that one ---- ohhh look over there ahhhhhh

and

nice wood stocks
Sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be happier with a 22-250 and a 358 Winchester for everything I do.
I'm no longer fond of reloading - any part of it, but especially case trimming.

I don't mind cleaning these days since there are some good products around that make it quicker and easier, plus I get the chance to fondle my firearms for a bit longer before putting them away.
Guns scare me, they're dangerous.
That anyone gives a flying kcuf what others choose to enjoy.
Hunting companions that insist on carrying a hot chamber regardless of circumstances.

I pretty much don't hunt with those types, and if I do, they walk at least 10 feet in front of me.

As to the firearms themselves, I dislike Weatherby's in WBY calibers, as over-hyped, over-heavy, over powdered, over recoiled, over shiny, over-priced.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be happier with a 22-250 and a 358 Winchester for everything I do.

A .22 rimfire and a 7:08 AI suits my needs for now.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I really hate gnats

- But you like gnuns?
I don't like any Browning that wasn't made in Belgium and I don't like any Browning or Browning pattern .22 semi-auto that ejects the hot just fired cases out of the bottom of the receiver.
Rattlesnakes and skeeters when I’m stalking pigs.
I worry about the guns escaping the safe and going out to commit mass shootings when I'm not around...
I really hate gnats
Them dog dick gnats are the worst.
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
I'm no longer fond of reloading - any part of it, but especially case trimming.

I don't mind cleaning these days since there are some good products around that make it quicker and easier, plus I get the chance to fondle my firearms for a bit longer before putting them away.

Same, I have not enjoyed loading in a long time, especially sizing and trimming. I'm a load tinkerer by my nature, but the actual physical process of loading is about as much fun as watching paint dry.
Inexperienced or careless people handling them at a public shooting range.

Seen some stupid stuff done.
People behind the guns who won’t listen. Handling bear hunters all these years too often they show up with guns they think can shoot thru mountains, they won’t stay off the shoulders.
Most problems with wounded bears has always been shoulder shot bears.

Osky
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Space. I have nowhere left to store anymore firearms.
this
Right now, finding ammo and reloading components.
Serial numbers, in case of theft.

One of those things I’ve never needed but should have.

OK, write ‘em down but keeping that notebook in the safe isn’t the thing to do, and as years go by where did that notebook go?

Same thing with an electronic copy, what did I call that list and what hard drive was it on?

Others’ MMV

mike r
God forbid, have to turn off Rawhide, with the feet havin th’beetus and all

My feets is temples and shall not be violated.

mike r
Not a gun hang up but a tactical shooter hang up. I taught tactical shotgun for many years. Cannot stand the ignorant pr*<€ s who refer to a shotgun as a shottie or “the gauge”. I warned them if they used those terms they’d fail. Some didn’t believe me and ended up reshooting at the end of the day.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Serial numbers, in case of theft.

One of those things I’ve never needed but should have.

OK, write ‘em down but keeping that notebook in the safe isn’t the thing to do, and as years go by where did that notebook go?

Same thing with an electronic copy, what did I call that list and what hard drive was it on?

Others’ MMV
Consider a safe deposit box through a credit union to store pictures and serial numbers. I pay $20 a year for a safe deposit box through my CU. My bank was over triple that for the same size box.
Originally Posted by mart
Not a gun hang up but a tactical shooter hang up. I taught tactical shotgun for many years. Cannot stand the ignorant pr*<€ s who refer to a shotgun as a shottie or “the gauge”. I warned them if they used those terms they’d fail. Some didn’t believe me and ended up reshooting at the end of the day.

Didja wear a red cap and yell alot?

mike r
People who say "I love the 2nd Amendment but..."
Cleaning barrels
With an exception or two at least 90% must carry wood stocks.
Some barrels shoot good dirty & hot
[/quote]
Sounds like my girlfriend.
this government organization known as the batf&e
Unwieldy.

Total agreement ☝🏽 on this.

I was a fanatic about clean barrels until I had a long conversation with a former special forces shooter who called BS on the excessive cleaning methodology.

After a lot of questions by me on wtf are you talking about? He simply said - “The barrel will tell you when it needs to be cleaned by how it’s shooting”.

“Unless the barrel is soaking wet or full of mud and needs the hose”. “Just wet a cleaning square with your favorite cleaning solution”. “Run the patch thru a couple of times - wait a few minutes - then run dry patches down the tube until the patches come out clean”.

I’m haven’t looked back since, and my rifles all shoot great, until they don’t. Then I follow the above for cleaning and it’s back to regular scheduled programming.

🦫
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Unwieldy.
Good call.

I don’t mind a longer barreled rifle but can’t stand heavy profile barrels or stocks thick in wrist or with a lot of tight pistol grip for a sporter rifle meant to be carried. I’m 6’3” but would rather adjust and square up to a shorter LOP most of the time than deal with a long LOP assuming that it isn’t a scoped big thumper with limited eye relief.
Cleaning shotguns. Particularly fussing over the barrel(s). Its an explosion in a tube that flings a couple dozen rocks out the end. Pretty hard to fu.ck it up.
Not having enough time to shoot, clean barrels and reload. cool
Mine is two-barreled guns, three-barreled guns, and four-barreled guns and not being able to afford them, now especially. Drives me nuts sometimes. crazy
Originally Posted by mart

Didja wear a red cap and yell alot?

mike r

Not much of a yeller. Sometimes I like to show up for a class looking as much like Elmer Fudd as possible and not let on I’m the instructor. Makes the tactacool wannabes crazy.
Democrats
Mounting scopes! Necessary evil but it drives me crazy trying to determine if the cross hairs are perfectly level.
Shooting, it is noisy (1.)and I have to go outside.(2.)

mike r

1. Is a major part of the fun

2. Is simply not so; ask my wife……
I'm unhappy about the fact that I don't have room to own all of them.
AussieGunWriter: After nearly six decades (nearly 60 years!) of seeing the harm that "leather holsters" due to pistols and revolvers I no longer subject my handguns to that type abuse - not for carry, not for storage, not for nothin!
Leather holsters look good and smell good and can be pretty good at retention but the harm they do is NO longer tolerated by me.
In fact I have been selling off my leather holsters of recent and still have 30+ to sell.
There are just to many great options for concealed carry, carry and storage that won't harm and devalue ones pistols.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
AussieGunWriter: After nearly six decades (nearly 60 years!) of seeing the harm that "leather holsters" due to pistols and revolvers I no longer subject my handguns to that type abuse - not for carry, not for storage, not for nothin!
Leather holsters look good and smell good and can be pretty good at retention but the harm they do is NO longer tolerated by me.
In fact I have been selling off my leather holsters of recent and still have 30+ to sell.
There are just to many great options for concealed carry, carry and storage that won't harm and devalue ones pistols.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I’d never store a firearm in a leather holster. I don’t store any of my knives in leather sheaths. I’ve always heard that leather retains moisture and that the chemicals used to tan the leather can be harmful but have never left one in leather long enough to find out. Between that and being harder on bluing. I stick to kydex but love the look of leather sheaths and holsters.

My only leather holster is a Milton 1911 holster with a hand carved Mexican floral pattern. I bought it for its looks but generally only use it for limited range use or stomping around in the woods.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Mine is two-barreled guns, three-barreled guns, and four-barreled guns and not being able to afford them, now especially. Drives me nuts sometimes. crazy

shocked

whistle
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Total agreement ☝🏽 on this.

I was a fanatic about clean barrels until I had a long conversation with a former special forces shooter who called BS on the excessive cleaning methodology.

After a lot of questions by me on wtf are you talking about? He simply said - “The barrel will tell you when it needs to be cleaned by how it’s shooting”.

“Unless the barrel is soaking wet or full of mud and needs the hose”. “Just wet a cleaning square with your favorite cleaning solution”. “Run the patch thru a couple of times - wait a few minutes - then run dry patches down the tube until the patches come out clean”.

I’m haven’t looked back since, and my rifles all shoot great, until they don’t. Then I follow the above for cleaning and it’s back to regular scheduled programming.

🦫

I was a very very happy man when I discovered they made this thing called a "Bore Snake" .

I was even happier after trying it.

I think I have all barrels covered now.
Someone muzzle flashing me...
That's a hang up I got...
I get real ugly when it happens.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Someone muzzle flashing me...
That's a hang up I got...
I get real ugly when it happens.

This^^^^

And I also hate it when the instructor of a Tactical Shottie Class shows up dressed like Elmer Fudd. I'm paying his salary for fugg sakes!!!!!
Dumbasses that buy a POS and expect it to shoot ten shots into one hole!
Want to use silencer, no need for stamp.
A joe not having his wpn within arms reach.
Had that hang up big time...
Bout 100 reps of the 4 up and over with that wpn usually cured the problem.
If the stupidity continued.
A 4ft tie off of 550 cord wpn to dumbazz AKA dummy cord cured it
Ridicule from everyone in the squad or platoon usually made mr dummy cord never wanta be more than arms reach from his wpn again.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I was a very very happy man when I discovered they made this thing called a "Bore Snake" .

We'll see how happy you are when you break one off in a barrel.
Originally Posted by mathman

He doesn't buy his Boar Snaek from Ray Ray down on de Bayou.
Cleaning an M240 after a couple of thousand rounds.
Ya'll clean them? They quit working or something? Not aware I have any hangups. About anything.
Originally Posted by mathman

He doesn't buy his Boar Snaek from Ray Ray down on de Bayou.

Not usually Jim.

Mr mathman...............that would present and interesting problem.

I'm going to the youtuber machine to see if anyone's come up with a quick and easy solution. Never heard of it happening to tell the truth.

Perhaps someone trying to get the 20g one through the '06??
Getting scoped while hunting might qualify as a hang up.
Not so much a gun hang up but a people hang up. The Wana b oPerAtOr who picks up the AR off the rack and proceeds to hold it with goofy arse over the barrel support arm stretched out straight hold. WTF is that ? And which one of you fIrEArMs InSTrucTors are teaching this?
I don't hang-up firearms.
Double rifles, & fine shotguns are out of my financial reach.
Don't have one.

I don't get too wrapped up on what they weigh, if they're. 25 moa,, whatever.

They just need to work.
My biggest beef is lack of sound suppression & the fact that the ATF sees the need to tax us to be considerate to others & ourselves by owning & utilizing a suppressor.
Any regulation
Gun fudds
"Cool guys"
People that say "weapon system"
Anyone that says "nobody needs a", *see gun fudds*
Originally Posted by Higginez
And I also hate it when the instructor of a Tactical Shottie Class shows up dressed like Elmer Fudd. I'm paying his salary for fugg sakes!!!!!

In my case that wouldn’t be true. The company or agency who hired the trainees pays my salary and depend on my feedback to make a placement decision on said trainees.

How often do you shower?
None really

If anything it's the ridiculous prices they bring now
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

If there is another, it is case trimming but I found a Lyman electric trimmer and that saved me.

I hate trimming brass. Mainly the time it takes. I don't really enjoy reloading, the end product is what I enjoy.

I guess tied to the above is time. I like to shoot and I like to hunt. 3 kids, all play sports, 2 jobs, farm and farm upkeep.....those things I enjoy, but they take time. Gun stuff other than shooting and hunting that takes "time" away from the time shooting and hunting is a hang up for me. Even if it's something gun related that I enjoy, I don't enjoy it as much because of the time it takes.

Last hang up would be my personal curiosity. I like to try various firearms, accessories, etc. I usually have a pretty good idea if I'll like/dislike something before ever touching it....but curiosity gets me and I want hands on and to put it to use. A lot of precious time and a lot of $ goes to satisfying my curiosity on things I don't need but I want to try "just to see".
"Storing firearms in foam lined hard cases!" 😖
Rust ball in the making!
Remington safeties /or lack thereof. I prefer safeties that block the firing pin and ignore the trigger. Like a Model 70, Ruger MkII, Mauser 98, Kimber 84/8400 etc....
Yes, my only Remington has snapped when taking the safety off.

The distance I have to drive now to a decent rifle range.
That the bastards breed and are getting kinda expensive to feed.
Originally Posted by viking
That the bastards breed and are getting kinda expensive to feed.
They only eat if you feed them.
All these XYZ names for new cartridges.
My hangup would be fools who mix alcohol and hunting/shooting. Really any kind of careless or reckless behavior around a loaded gun. We have a hard enough time holding on to our rights, and joe 6 pack taking his buddy shooting and drinking is a bad situation waiting to get worse.
I loathe cleaning revolvers.

I also feel the need to hand load to get the best accuracy, but I truly hate the whole process.
Originally Posted by T_O_M

The distance I have to drive now to a decent rifle range.

The drive up to a landing. On the edge of a decent sized clear cut is a lot less of a drive
CNN says guns bad and not needed.
Don't have enough.
Originally Posted by Sako76
Mounting scopes! Necessary evil but it drives me crazy trying to determine if the cross hairs are perfectly level.
I'm with you, brother!
Originally Posted by 348winchester
Not so much a gun hang up but a people hang up. The Wana b oPerAtOr who picks up the AR off the rack and proceeds to hold it with goofy arse over the barrel support arm stretched out straight hold. WTF is that ? And which one of you fIrEArMs InSTrucTors are teaching this?
I asked the same thing of a local instructor and he said that crap originated in the 3-gun competition crowd.
Originally Posted by barm

Agreed. Sheer drudgery at the police academy back in the day.
The currently popular stupidity of putting a leather ammo cuff on lever action rifle stocks
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Originally Posted by barm

Agreed. Sheer drudgery at the police academy back in the day.

I've pretty much got it down to a science. And mostly doing it in front of the TeeVee watching a good show also gets rid of the drudgery. Lol.
I do not have enough of them
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Cleaning shotguns. Particularly fussing over the barrel(s). Its an explosion in a tube that flings a couple dozen rocks out the end. Pretty hard to fu.ck it up.

Funny. That's kinda what my favorite local gunsmith said. "Dude, it's a shotgun". Lol.
Unsecured firearms.
Originally Posted by funshooter
I do not have enough of them
This. And I’m running out of room for safes to keep them in
Scope leveling , easy .
Get a two or four foot level , whatever size fits your backer board .
Mark a level line across backer were you figure top of target will be .
Hang target with top matching the line .
CTK rifle level is a Jim dandy device that can easily be used from weapon to weapon .
Set rifle in bags , level rifle with rifle level while looking through scope .
Level scope cross hairs with top of target making sure rifle is still level .
Start snugging ring screws in crisscross procedure .
Check level again before final torque.

Muzzle flash as mentioned and fugging idiots that open fire on a deer you just shot at .
Dumb azzes that try finishing off a deer by repeated body shots at point blank range .
Numb nuts that keep cranking rds through their rifle wondering WTH is wrong with it .
Not enough guns have gorgeous walnut and damascus barrels.
The Wana b oPerAtOr who picks up the AR off the rack and proceeds to hold it with goofy arse over the barrel support arm stretched out straight hold. WTF is that ? And which one of you fIrEArMs InSTrucTors are teaching this?

YES! smile

WTF is that? laugh
Picking polishing media out of primer pockets.

Reloaded ammo that does chamber. It can re-sized, and trimmed like the others, but it seems there’s always one or two that won’t chamber.
They won't allow me to cheat the laws of physics ..... shocked
What's Your personal hang-up regarding firearms?

The boolits don't always steer where I'm aiming 'em.

This phenomenon is particularly acute from my revolvers. frown

All of 'em. laugh
That they only go bang once when I pull the trigger.
Originally Posted by rickt300
Accidental discharges. Especially in cars. Some people should not own guns.
I had an accidental discharge in the back seat of my car.Nine months later my first Son was born.
Originally Posted by skeen
The Wana b oPerAtOr who picks up the AR off the rack and proceeds to hold it with goofy arse over the barrel support arm stretched out straight hold. WTF is that ? And which one of you fIrEArMs InSTrucTors are teaching this?

YES! smile

WTF is that? laugh

Glad I'm not the only one, I see there's 3 of us now. We should probably start a club or sumthin.
Dumbassed people and politicians!!
© 24hourcampfire