Home
Posted By: CashisKing Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
YES... my wife loves me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bad news... the sourdough starter died last year from the Rona (or something)... so just plain homemade bread.

Oh well...
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Nothing like good home baked bread. My sil has a starter she’s been growing for about twenty years.
It’s like a science project.
Posted By: scrooster Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
It's strictly a winter-time thing for us down here ... too hot to fire up the oven between now and September.

We used-to serve nothing but homemade bread at the family restaurant and bakery. People would come for miles because of the bread, rolls and cornbread.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
My wife makes 2 loaves or a pan of buns about very week
Posted By: Redneck Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Using the right flour and a bit of malt, you won't need 'starter'... Local stores have flour suitable for maybe coating chicken.....but NOT for bread. It takes high-protein stuff for a proper loaf.. (I found that out the hard way... laugh )

I make 4-5 different loaves - from white, raisin, dark rye and cinnamon etc...
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Grandpa used to say “these light bread folks is a ruining our women”
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Originally Posted by Redneck
Using the right flour and a bit of malt, you won't need 'starter'... Local stores have flour suitable for maybe coating chicken.....but NOT for bread. It takes high-protein stuff for a proper loaf.. (I found that out the hard way... laugh )

Thanks for the dark rye recipe and where to get good flour. frown
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22

You know, if you were twerker or Jell0 or SAC or some other dumbass i wouldnt ask. smile
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
We make 2 loaves of sourdough a week. I make it in a coffee can. It's kicked by a starter that I fuel with Bob's organic rye flour. I make the bread with unbleached flourcand nobody can leave it alone.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
My mother used to tell us about a Mormon family down the road when she was growing up. They had bus load of kids and 1 day a week was baking day. The mother had this idea that hot bread out of the oven was poisonous so they were never allowed to eat any until it was stone cold. The fact that all of her neighbors relished hot bread and survived it nicely never soaked in to her head. Oh well, her loss.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My mother used to tell us about a Mormon family down the road when she was growing up. They had bus load of kids and 1 day a week was baking day. The mother had this idea that hot bread out of the oven was poisonous so they were never allowed to eat any until it was stone cold. The fact that all of her neighbors relished hot bread and survived it nicely never soaked in to her head. Oh well, her loss.

My mother was the same way. One day a week, every flat surface in the kitchen was covered with bread rising.Then you also had laundry day, ironing day and cleaning day.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Originally Posted by SCRooster
It's strictly a winter-time thing for us down here ... too hot to fire up the oven between now and September.

We used-to serve nothing but homemade bread at the family restaurant and bakery. People would come for miles because of the bread, rolls and cornbread.
I bake hot-dog and hamburger buns on the PelletSmoker during the summer at the lake. Works great and no, they don’t come out smoky.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
In a galaxy long ago, hit the barn to milk at 4:30, Grandma had breakfast rolling by the time the milk cans were rolled to the driveway. Nobody needed to ring a bell, you could smell the sourdough biscuits when they came out of the oven, more like little loaves of bread but the taste and texture was wonderful. Jersey butter and bacon out of the smoke house, home made sausage and hen fruit fresh from the boxes.

I smell fresh baked bread and I see her standing at that old stove with her apron clutched around a hot pan of biscuits turning to bring them to the table.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
I remembering being a little kid at church and hearing "man cannot live on bread alone" and thinking yea, I mean don't they give him some butter too?

We don't do it very often - mainly because I will eat the entire loaf in one sitting but I love fresh baked beer bread and occasionally I can get my wife to make me banana bread.

It doesn't have to be fancy - just fresh and hot.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Warm home made bread and home made Apple butter or jelly.
Lots of milk, it can get ugly.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
LOVE fresh bread!!!!
....but we don't make it very often. My fat self doesn't need to eat THAT much bread and butter and I CAN NOT leave it alone! LOL!

Wife makes a set of cat head biscuits that would make my grandmother proud!
She also makes "challah". A traditional woven Jewish bread.
I make what's called "Milk Bread"
Doesn't work well as just bread, but toasted with an egg and cheese will warm the cockles of your heart on a cold morning!

THEN......there is "Annadamah" bread! THAT is some awesome stuff! Again, not something this old fart needs on a daily basis! 😖
For all you fresh flour freaks!!!

Any of you have a "grain mill"?
I do.
I buy cleaned, untreated "hard red winter" wheat seed and grind it.
IF I can get good clean wheat of the proper moisture content directly from the combine, I'll do that! 😉

1) freshly milled flour is more nutritious
2) wheat berries (grain) can be cheaper than flour
3) freshly milling your own flour often gives you more choice
A) different grains
B) different textures (coarse, medium, fine)
4) freshly milled flour brings better flavor
5) wheat berries (grain) has a longer shelf life than flour
6) you actually get the WHOLE grain of wheat

Other facts of note:

1) freshly ground flour is more absorbent than regular (store bought) flour
2) freshly ground flour ferments faster than regular flour
3) the "crumb" of freshly ground flour will be tighter
4) freshly ground flour is more inconsistent than regular flour
5) freshly ground flour takes up more volume (for the same weight) than regular flour
6) the temperature of fresh ground flour will be warmer
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Just made some las' yessirday:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

I do.
IF I can get good clean wheat of the proper moisture content directly from the combine, I'll do that! 😉

A) different grains

Other facts of note:

5) freshly ground flour takes up more volume (for the same weight) than regular flour

My house is .5 miles from one elevator, 3 from another and 75 yards from the field. Fresh is not haed to find here.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Thought this was going to be another corn fed gal thread .
Still some good looking eats , just different.🤪

On second look , if you’d flipped both round edges out , just saying
Posted By: Ella Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
"It's strictly a winter-time thing for us down here ... too hot to fire up the oven between now and September."

I've got a little toaster oven on the back porch to bake bread in the summer. The pot fits in it once I took the knob off the lid. One loaf a week for sammiches!
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing
YES... my wife loves me.

Bad news... the sourdough starter died last year from the Rona (or something)... so just plain homemade bread.

Oh well...
I make many kinds of bread. There are quite a few I like as good or better than sourdough.
I really like my homemade Rye bread, Pumpernickel, and Russian Black bread.
Italian bread and some artisan breads.

yum yum
Originally Posted by high_country_
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

I do.

A) different grains

Other facts of note:

My house is .5 miles from one elevator, 3 from another and 75 yards from the field. Fresh is not haed to find here.

If you don't have a grain mill, point five from your home may as well be 500 point 5.
Posted By: g5m Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22

What brand(s) do you use?
Posted By: Toddly Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
I like making bread.

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: Toddly Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Ramp and Morel focaccia bread !

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: Hairy_Clipper Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
There are seven different types or layers of flour on each grain of wheat. The ones called 1st and 2nd Clear Flour have the highest ash content. High ash content = Big Flavor! Clear flours are typically not found in your neighborhood grocery store, but, are typically available in commercial bakery supply houses. Many times it is sold with the 1st and 2nd Clear flours combined and can be called sold as powerful clear and other proprietary names. The drawback is you may have to purchase it in a 50 pound bag. You can freeze flour, but, you need to defrost it in your refrigerator, not on a countertop.

High ash content makes for much better tasting and flavorful bread! You can thank me later.
Posted By: WhopperStopper Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Originally Posted by Toddly
I like making bread.

[Linked Image from ]

I like the bread board

WS
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22

[Linked Image from ]
Man that looks good, drizzled with copious amounts of butter and garlic powder. wooweeee!
Have a good birthday by the way!
Posted By: Ella Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
I like making bread.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

That focaccia! Who'd have thought of morels and ramps?

Toddly, did you make the board?

Mine looks like this.

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
I like making bread.

[Linked Image from ]

Yeah, buddy! 👍🏼 That’s what I aspire to make one day in the distant future.

Wife makes bread when I get after her. More like beg for fresh bread.

Recently, I asked her to show me how to make it, which is the plan when she makes the next couple of batches.

🦫
Posted By: benchman Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
I have some beer bread in the oven right now. It's pretty good, but heck, I like beer, and I like bread! It's also darn easy to make. The wife hates me when I make it...she doesn't eat bread that wouldn't grow if you plant it.
Originally Posted by g5m

What brand(s) do you use?

Here's one: https://breadtopia.com/store/organic-bread-flour/

And this one I use for pizza dough: https://breadtopia.com/store/organic-tipo-00-strong-white-flour/
I like making bread.

[Linked Image from ]
That looks excellent...
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Homemade Bread - 05/21/22
Just put this in the lightbulb warmed oven for the first proofing.

My first attempt at this:

Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread Copy
Posted By: Riverc Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing
YES... my wife loves me.

Oh well...

That looks good like Homemade Bread. Not Your Mama restaurant near me brings out Homemade Bread Rolls with your meal and the are very good.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
My wife makes great bread.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Wife breads.

I said you burned the bread on the 2nd pictured. Wife said, “No I didn’t, it’s supposed to have a dark crust”

I’m like….”Oh, okay”……under my breath - “You burned it.”

Lol

🦫
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Wife breads.

I said you burned the bread on the 2nd pictured. Wife said, “No I didn’t, it’s supposed to have a dark crust”

I’m like….”Oh, okay”……under my breath - “You burned it.”

Lol

🦫

Looks great Beav. You a lucky man.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
We make 2 loaves of sourdough a week. I make it in a coffee can. It's kicked by a starter that I fuel with Bob's organic rye flour. I make the bread with unbleached flourcand nobody can leave it alone.

my grandma made bread in metal coffee cans.

sweet bread, had pecans in it.

pumpkin bread.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Thanks, TR.

I’m fortunate the wife’s hobby is cooking and baking. It’s a blessing and a curse.

Lol

🦫
Posted By: JakeDog Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
I make grilled flatbread often.
Cracked rye is good in white bread.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Late evening snack with some honey butter

Posted By: scrooster Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22

We used a local mill at the restaurant ... Adluh flour. But White Lilly is also very very good.

Some beautiful breads in this thread.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by Hairy_Clipper
There are seven difference types or layers of flour on each grain of wheat. The ones called 1st and 2nd Clear Flour have the highest ash content. High ash content = Big Flavor! Clear flours are typically not found in your neighborhood grocery store, but, is typically available in commercial bakery supply houses. Many times it is sold with the 1st and 2nd Clear flours combined and can be called such names as powerful clear and other proprietary names. The drawback is you may have to purchase it in a 50 pound bag. You can freeze flour, but, you need to defrost it in your refrigerator, not on a countertop.

High ash content makes for much better tasting and flavorful bread! You can thank me later.

Shout - out to the Hairy Clipper

16 year member with 16 posts and an expert on flour. Must've been a grind just waiting.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by Ella
I like making bread.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

That focaccia! Who'd have thought of morels and ramps?

Toddly, did you make the board?

Mine looks like this.

Morels and ramps came wild from the woods around us! Bread is easy once you learn. You need to use a Dutch oven at 450 degrees. It steams the bread and makes a hearty crust.

No I didn’t make the board.

Your bread looks awesome but if you use a bread lame (razor blade) to score the top before hand and fresh flour before the lame you can bake one like mine or better. It’s easy.
I don’t bake much in the summer, more of a winter sport. 😀
Posted By: Hairy_Clipper Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by Hairy_Clipper
There are seven difference types or layers of flour on each grain of wheat. The ones called 1st and 2nd Clear Flour have the highest ash content. High ash content = Big Flavor! Clear flours are typically not found in your neighborhood grocery store, but, is typically available in commercial bakery supply houses. Many times it is sold with the 1st and 2nd Clear flours combined and can be called such names as powerful clear and other proprietary names. The drawback is you may have to purchase it in a 50 pound bag. You can freeze flour, but, you need to defrost it in your refrigerator, not on a countertop.

Shout - out to the Hairy Clipper

16 year member with 16 posts and an expert on flour. Must've been a grind just waiting.

Morewood-I got a good chuckle out of your comment! I am a patient soul and enjoy a good laugh. I read much more than I post as you may have guessed.

We had a local baker that went to school with my mother a century ago that made Vienna Bread and was the best tasting bread I have ever eaten. His bakery was half a block away from my barber shop and there were frequent morning stops there to tend to my sweet tooth over the years. I tried for twenty years to duplicate Don's recipe and was able to get close, but, never quite had the flavor and texture that Preuss' Bakery produced. Before he retired, when he was in for a haircut we would talk bread baking and over the course of 18 months he revealed two secrets to making his Vienna Bread. The Clear Flour was the first. The second is to scald the milk or use dried milk. According to Don, there is an enzyme found naturally in milk that will make the crumb tough and by scalding the milk that enzyme's effect on the crumb is stopped and a tender crumb is the result.

As for being a flour expert, I knew nothing about flour until receiving my proper instruction from Master Baker Don Preuss who grew up in Waterville, Minnesota. And yes Don was a cousin of the famous wildlife artist and winner of the first Duck Stamp competition Roger Preuss. Don's brother Glenn ran a bakery in Waterville, Minnesota and lived there his entire life while Don moved to Waseca, Minnesota to run his bakery here. The first lesson was on the layers within each grain of wheat. I have proof read a number of optically scanned books on bread baking, wheat growing and it's development, the history of bread and milling for The Gutenberg Project. Expert? Observer and gleaner of the knowledge of others perhaps.

Before moving on and awaiting another year before adding my 2¢ to this wonderful outdoor forum I feel obliged to add one more thing. If you truly want to bake that old world type of bread with thick chewy crust and crumb with delightful flavor seek out by purchasing or your local library any of the bread baking books by Peter Reinhart where he teaches about extended rise times and the effect it has on protein chain development. If you like great bread it is worth your time to read and learn. Or you cut & paste the link below in your browser for a PDF of Peter's book, THE BREAD BAKE'S APPRENTICE.

https://www.academia.edu/27493778/Peter_Reinhart_The_bread_baker_s_apprentice

Until next time I will be joining my old friend Punxsutawney Phil in the burrow until we emerge in 2023 for my annual dissertation on the obscure things of life in the ensuing installment of Fun Facts To Know And Tell!
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Hairy, if the barber gig flops, I'm sure there's a spec ops team that needs your patience.

Thanks for the useful knowledge. See you again when I retire.
Loves, and fish from a Church potluck.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ledvm Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Grandpa used to say “these light bread folks is a ruining our women”

Mine too. And you know what? He was right. Hard to find a woman who can cook a good pan of biscuits these days. Much less…a dutch oven full.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
I got inspired by you jokers. Have a batch rising right now.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by worriedman
In a galaxy long ago, hit the barn to milk at 4:30, Grandma had breakfast rolling by the time the milk cans were rolled to the driveway. Nobody needed to ring a bell, you could smell the sourdough biscuits when they came out of the oven, more like little loaves of bread but the taste and texture was wonderful. Jersey butter and bacon out of the smoke house, home made sausage and hen fruit fresh from the boxes.

I smell fresh baked bread and I see her standing at that old stovfe with her apron clutched around a hot pan of biscuits turning to bring them to the table.

Great memories retold of a simpler time. Love it.

Reminds me of when friends would gather to bale hay and put it up. always a hot day and then the big feed at the days end. Miss those days alot.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
It is threads like this that make the "Fire" great.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by Diesel
Absolutely.......
Posted By: KFWA Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
I downloaded the PDF

gonna ask my wife to check it out
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by Diesel

Absolutely!

Garlic Naan , Trying lamb vindaloo to go with it next.

and Pizza! Its gotten where a good pie is more than 30 bucks around here

Posted By: Hairy_Clipper Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Hairy, if the barber gig flops, I'm sure there's a spec ops team that needs your patience.

Thanks for the useful knowledge. See you again when I retire.

high country- Back in the early 1970s my lottery number was 44 and after two trips to the Twin Cities for a physical the military doctors decided to classify me as 4F. Being a young kid that didn't know any better I asked what 4F meant? The fellow in the center of the desk in charge of the review panel told me the women and children would go before me! I harbor doubts that spec ops is in my future as a participant within the group.

Unlike many I see long term goals to the end no matter how long it takes.

My last baking tip for the day since I see someone mentioned making biscuits. Biscuits get tough for a variety of reasons the most prevalent being overworking the dough which develops high levels of gluten. This can be prevented by using one of the 7 layers of flour on a grain of wheat commonly known as Cake Flour. Cake flour does develop some gluten, but, not very much, thus making for very tender Baking Powder Biscuits.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
I I hake a loaf or so every week. I do sourdough or yeast. Tonight Ill start a yeast dough with rosemary and olives.
That will go good with smoked salmon.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Thanks for that PDF link, Hairy Clipper! Bookmarked. Enjoying it already.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Homemade Bread - 05/22/22
Just made a loaf in our new bread machine yesterday.

I agree it’s not the method of purists, but very handy and quick. Especially to make overnight and have fresh bread in the morning.

Lots of times we make bread traditionally.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Homemade Bread - 05/23/22
When I lived in the middle of nowhere Wyoming the only bread I had was what we made. Usually sourdough the starter coming from flower water sugar set out in the open in a 120 year old house. I have never seen anything like how bread raised using it. We made sandwiches out of sourdough pancakes, biscuits every day. Lost my starter coming back to Texas, for some reason it just rose all over the place and died. For a thick crust I would use a starter made from Coors beer, flour and sugar. The only thing Coors is good for.
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: Homemade Bread - 05/23/22
Made this loaf last night

© 24hourcampfire